Shy Girl Goes To Sea. An Ecstasy Review 11/17/11

TriciaEMTB

After lunch I wasn't really feeling well, so I headed to the cabin. This next part may be TMI for some, so I'm marking it off, read at your own risk.

I started my period, I was feeling a little crampy and had a migraine. I knew this was a possiblity so I had already packed my female party favors. Ladies, come prepared! I didn't see much of a selection in the fun shops.

Okay, safe to start read again.

Because I wasn't feeling well I took a nap. When I woke up, it was time to get ready for dinner! Elegant Night! Woohoo! I debated back and forth on going to elegant night, I had to buy a dress and shoes and panty hose. I hit the veteran's day sales the week before I sailed and got a dress and shoes for a grand total of $36.

While getting ready for elegant night, I took apart the towel dog and made my steward a towel elephant.

I tried working with my tripod to get good picture.

PB190176.jpg

(you can see my elephant in the background.)

Looking at the pictures I started to feel really self concious. I almost stayed in and ordered room service but decided I could have done that at home. I'm on a cruise! I need to get out of my comfort zone a little! So out I went!

I didn't mention this before, but ATD was in Wind Star. The Wind Song was right above my state room, of course it couldn't be that easy, right? In order to get to Wind Star you have to take the mid elevators to Atlantic Deck. It's not possible to get to it from the aft elevators without going up to a different deck and going back down again. So on my way to the mid elevators I passed a photo op at my "princess staircase." I wasn't satisfied with my pictures, so I decided to get in line.

I was behind a mother and daughter, they were very chatty and pleasent.

The photographer's name I couldn't even hope to pronounce. His accent made me melt, and he was very... hmm.. good looking :) I wanted to go through that line again!

But I didn't. I headed to dinner. I expected to wait, it was elegant night after all. Nope. No wait. I never watied to be seated at dinner the entire cruise.

I was seated right next to the mother and daughter from line. The first words the mother said to me "Are you alone!?" That put my guard up a little, but they didn't mean it offensively. She was a nurse, I don't remember what her daughter did but the daughter lived in Ohio and the mother lived in south florida, I think St. Pete area.

We talked all through dinner. I connected more with the mother than I did with the daughter, but they were both very nice. We theorized that there were so many medical professionals on board because we left out of Florida and Florida is kind of "God's waiting room". She told me that when they were at the welcome aboard show where the comedians were doing a sample of their show, an elderly couple next to them got REALLY offended when one of the comedians told an old person joke. I hope I am never that grumpy when I get old and can find the humor in life!

I had the shrimp cocktail for an app, and for the main I had prime rib. The prime rib came with a baked potato. They served it uncut with no toppings, but almost as soon as one waiter put the plate down the other was behind him with a bunch of baked potato toppings.

PB190178.jpg

I don't get the big deal over the shrimp cocktail... Reading the forums the shrimp cocktail seems to make or break people's cruises! It was just shrimp.. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing shrimp I couldn't get elsewhere.

PB190180.jpg

The prime rib had a lot of fat on it. But it was really good. This was before the au jus.

And of course, warm chocolate melting cake with two ice creams. I didn't take a picture of it, but I'm sure you all know what it looks like by now!

I was worried about making the comedy shows, but I finished dinner, said good bye to my new friends and headed over to The Starlight Lounge. I passed by the metropolis bar and noticed the disco ball cups. HAD to have one. Just call me the souvenier cup lady, I am crazy about them. It was a little confusing at first because the bartender didn't seem to understand I didn't care what was in them, I just wanted it to be non alcoholic. He put in fruit punch. It was really good.

Then I made it to the starlight lounge, which was "turned into" the Punchliner Comedy Club.

PB190182.jpg

At first I was sitting by myself in one of the round couches, but my friends from dinner spotted me and called me over. We talked some more and waited for the show to start.

Both of the comedians were really good. One was Mike Macy, he was my favorite. The other was Macio. Both of them have had HBO specials, so they were like legitimate comedians not "Haha, I think I'm funny and no one's ever heard of me but somehow I landed a gig on a cruise ship!" I'd heard that the entertainment in the past was kind of poor.

They had one show, then a thirty minute break, then another. Then another thirty (I think) minute break and one comedians adult show, and yet another thirty minute break and the other comedians adult show.

After both family shows I went to go get out of my shoes. They were killing my feet. So I ran back to my room.

I love whoever this scooter belonged too, because it was always my landmark to know which turn it was to get to my cabin. It probably saved me a lot of wandering around.

PB200187.jpg

I was greeted by a frog! And the steward remade my elephant.

PB190181.jpg

I kicked off my shoes, pulled off my panty hose and put on my flipflops and headed back to the comedy club for Michael Macy's adult show.

This probably wasn't a great idea. I must have lost weight from all my walking in Nassau because as I was walking I noticed my underwear starting to slide down my butt. I ended up having to walk kind of funny to keep from losing them! This is why I don't wear dresses!

I still had my disco ball. When I got back, I couldn't find my friends, but I did find a seat up front. Michael Macy did comment on my cup during his show. "You're drinking out of a disco ball? God bless you honey."

He made a really funny joke about Royal Caribbean's rock wall. Basically saying "They have a rock wall so what? People on cruises wait fifteen minutes on an elevator to go up one floor! They're not doing any rock climbing on that boat!" Ha ha ha!

After his adult show I was too tired to stay up for the others, and I had two excursions the next day. So I headed back and went to bed.

Tricia,

You are so much fun and honest. Everything is seen with fresh eyes for detail and your way with words and perspective is delightful and humorous. Someone will scoop you up soon, no doubt about that...

I loved seeing more of the ship and Nassau..wow..the Pirate museum and pictures were awesome..as well as the growing relaxation on your face as the trip develops.

I think my favorite line so far is, "who would think hey I'm having shrimp so let me put watermelon with it"...you are just so funny in a sweet way..God Bless You and ya know..learning to enjoy your own company and others when shy and doing it by yourself..CONGRATS...I can tell you are an explorer and life is too short not to squeeze every drop of joy and fun out of it. To do this with a sad thing having just happened and say eff it...you go girl...and this is really one of the best reviews ever..it is authored... not written..you are a natural at it..thanks so much...Sarah

I'll tell you Tricia I've read hundreds of reviews and reading about your adventures in Nassau was truly remarkable. you really made that island come alive for me. Not the usual straw market and Atlantis photos. Thanks for a truly enjoyable review.:)

Dan

PS Great pictures and you looked lovely in that black dress.

Patricia, I am loving your review. You are making me think I really need to go ahead and do a solo cruise. I know I'd enjoy it. I just hate the double cost, but I need to start the "sale" shopping and book it! I really wish Carnival was still sailing out of Mobile--the easiest to drive to from Nashville. Waiting for some really cheap flights to a cruise port!

Can't wait for the rest of your review. Oh, your pictures are wonderful; great eye for framing interesting shots. Love that black dress too!

I don't have many pictures from my last day. I was conserving my camera battery so I didn't have a repeat of Nassau where I missed some good pictures

We were docking at 8, and I had two excursions planned for today! I had gotten my excursion tickets the first night of the cruise shoved under the door. The first one was a open ocean dolphin swim, the second was a nautical catamaran and reef snorkel. I was really excited about both, but more so about the dolphin swim. The dolphin swim I booked waaaay far in advance. It was limited capacity, only takes up to six!

So, I woke up at 6. Got a shower, and headed out to the lido for some juice. This is the first time I ate from the buffet, which opened at 7. I had some breakfast potato thing. Not hash browns but actual cuts of potatos that I guess were fried or broiled??

I went down to Riviera deck and got in line after breakfast to wait for us to dock and the ship to be cleared. Once it was cleared we disembarked and went right outside the port to where the excursion vans were waiting. There were two other ships in that day, the carnival fantasy (I think, it might not have been but it was the same class) and The Bahamas Celebration? It was some cruise line I've never heard of. First up was the open ocean dolphin swim.

I booked through the cruise ship. I checked the price without booking through the cruise ship and they were the same. I decided even if the cruise ship was more and being it was my first time, I would go ahead and book carnival instead just for a peace of mind. Prior to the cruise I was super paranoid about getting back on the ship on time and getting left.

If I would have gotten left behind, I would have had to call my grandfather to borrow money for a flight home. With the hell he would give me I figured I'd be safer just staying on the islands! That was my plan if I got left behind.. stay behind and learn to braid hair or drive a taxi!

So I got there at 8:05. The meeting time was 8:15. I was very mindful of the times because the dolphin swim was supposed to end at 10:45 and I had the snorkel at 12:00. We didn't board the bus until about 8:30. Then we picked up some people from the other cruise ship. There were a couple different excursions on this bus going to the UNEXSO facility.

After that we left for the facility. It was a nice bus ride over and the bus driver gave us a kind of tour/history of the island. He was telling us the prices of some of the stuff there, holy crap! I don't know how anyone could afford to live there. He said there were also no drinking laws in the bahamas, kind of obvious from the way everyone drives like a maniac!

Once we arrived at the facility, we got off the bus and the bus driver said he'd be back at 12:30 to take us back... Uhm what!? Noo noo noo! The website when I booked said the excursion was over at 10:45! It didn't say you wouldn't get transportation back 'til later! I wouldn't have minded but I had an excursion planned and paid for that afternoon! Crap!

So while checking in, I decided after the dolphin swim was done, I'd go catch a taxi back to the port. I should have plenty of time to do that, so I wasn't that stressed out.

We got a free T-Shirt which I thought was awesome! It says "I got kissed by a dolphin in the grand bahamas!" I've worn it twice since sunday!

We got fins and a mask, boarded a boat and left for Santuary Bay where they kept their dolphins for this particular swim. There were only three of us for this excursion.

The water was really rough! At one point we went over a wave I thought i was going to fall out, especially since there were no seats in the boat. We sat on this big metal box.

I tried to get a picture of the spray, but had some trouble

PB200206.jpg

The scenery was beautiful.

PB200211.jpg

PB200213.jpg

After we got to Sanctuary Bay a trainer joined us, introduced us to the dolphins, gave us some ground rules and told us to be ready as soon as the engine stopped or the dolphins would get bored waiting for us and swim back home.

The trainer got in her own little boat and we went back out, stopping in the ocean. They said it was about 20-25 feet deep. We stepped one by one onto the diving platform, put on our fins and slid into the water. I commented that it was really cold! And the boat captain said it was something like 70 degrees. 70 degrees? That is like a winter day in Florida!

There were boats of tourists driving by to somewhere or another, they took pictures of us as we floated in the ocean with our dolphins. There were two dolphins, both males. The other two were a couple, so I pretty much got my own dolphin.

Dolphins are like the puppies of the sea. They are smart and incredibly playful. They feel sleek, and to me they kind of feel like a wet water float.

While we were swimming with them I kept forgetting to swim on my stomach and not sit upright in the water. They called us back into the boat because there was a guy in a jetski near by, so they were going to take us further out for safety.

We took the boat further out but they decided it was too choppy to swim, so we ended up going back to sanctuary bay and finished the swim there.

I really enjoyed it. We were in the water for at least 30 minutes and actually got to SWIM. We got to dive down under water with the dolphins, too. That was an AMAZING experience. I couldn't stop smiling. You could actually hear their "dolphin squeak" under the water. It was absolutely beautiful.

Then came the portion where we did tricks with them. They lined us up and I went first.She told me to wave my hands in the air, and they "stood up" in the water and waved their fins. The next person spun around and they spun with her. Then the last person made them speak. Then we got to choose a trick to do with them, and she told us we could make them wave, spin, speak or we could splash water in their faces and see what happens.

I went first and splashed them with water, and they splashed me back! The other two did the same thing.

Everyone is so right - your review is amazing - There are a bunch of us going in Feb for a girls only BD cruise and now I am really excited.

My mom and I did the dolphin experience in Cozumel, what a great time - did not realize how big they were until we got down in the water with them ( had a little of the Jaws theme rolling around in my head :D)

Keep it up - you are doing a wonderful job.

The finale of the "swim" portion was where you put your arms out to your side and tapped the water. The dolphins came up behind you and you grabbed on to their dorsal fins and got pulled in. That was soooo much fun! It was a rush. I wanted to do it again!

We did the dolphin hug ( I hugged both at the same time) and the kiss.

If I ever go back to Freeport, I will definitely be doing this again. It was worth the $200 cost. There was just something about swimming with the dolphins out in the ocean as oppose to a tank. This WAS the best experience of my life so far.

I was swimming back to the boat to climb back in, and one of the dolphins popped up out of nowhere in front of me. I squeaked in surprise and the trainer told me they were just making sure we didn't get between them and the fish she was feeding them.

After we were back in the boat, she made the dolphins do some tricks for us to take pictures of.

During the swim our boat captain was taking pictures.

PB200342.jpg

PB200317.jpg

PB200322.jpg

PB200227.jpg

PB200228.jpg

PB200319.jpg

After that, we went back to the UNEXSO facility. I was disappointed to learn that you didn't have the option of purchasing individual pictures. You had to buy the disc. That's okay, I'd totally have bought the disc but they were selling it for.... $39.95 For a DISC. I know it didn't cost them near that much to make the disc!

What was really disappointing is those who did the encounter or the regular swim had the option of buying their individual pictures for like $20 each. Their excursions were half the cost of ours. I kind of felt that we were being gouged. I didn't buy the disc but I really wish I had.

We were back to the facility at about 11. I got dressed and set out for the Lucaya marketplace to catch a taxi. By this time it started to rain, so I walked with my towel over my head. It didn't matter I was still damp from the swim. I found the taxi stand. At first the taxi driver told me it was $5pp but he couldn't make change for my $20. I told him oh, okay, I'll go find another taxi! And he told me no, no, he could make change after all. Great! So this was going to work out after all!

Nope! He wouldn't leave 'til his taxi was full, and he still needed six people, but it shouldn't take long. I sat down on the bench to wait. After 20 minutes, we were still waiting. By this time even if I got on the taxi I probably wouldn't make in on time.

So I got up and left to wonder around the market place for a few minutes. It looked like the same stuff in Nassau. So I decided to walk back. On my walk back I passed by some guy trying to direct me to the taxi stand, told him nope! Not interested. I got back to the UNEXSO facility parking lot, and another guy offered me a taxi in the parking lot, for $5. I told him no, I was going to spend time in the facility and go back later. But he said he was leaving now. Leaving now? MAYBE I could still make it. So I climbed in.

Oh no, we aren't leaving RIGHT now, we still need a few more people.

So I climbed out. He kept trying to get me back, saying on a few more people and it would be a few more minutes. I told him thank you, but I'm going to spend some more time here.

I sat down on the bench outside and called my mom. She was over at my grandmothers, she put my three year old cousin on the phone. The first thing he said "Where you at?" I told him i was just swimming with the dolphins, and he told me he was going to swim with WHALES! Then he asked me if I bought him anything.

After I hung up, I went into the gift shop and found a T-Shirt that changes colors in the sun. It had two dolphins on it, and it was a 3T, so I bought it for him and I bought myself a key chain. (He has since broken my keychain. I'm really upset. I really liked it and it was the only thing I bought myself from the bahamas. The bracelets from earlier are going to two other cousins.. I have six total. And when asked why he broke it, he said "Because i wanted to." I have half a mind to take his t-shirt back.)

Tricia,

All i can say is, "You go girlie!!:D:D" You have definitely inspired me to book a solo cruise. My hubby and I currently have a cruise booked for next September but I'm thinking to myself, 'that is such a looooooong way away. I need to get on a ship sooner lol'.

Well afer reading your review, I walked out of my office and said, "hunny, i think i'm going to cruise solo!:eek:"

So my question to you is, "where are we heading next?! lol":D:p

Kristy:)

I am so happy to learn so many of you want to cruise solo or have already!

It really was a great experience! I am so glad I did it, and now that I am more familiar with cruising I know how to do it BETTER!

I'm sure all of you will have a wonderful time solo also! Please let me know how it goes!

I've really had a blast writing this review, it's helped me relive a little bit of my cruise again and reflect on what I've done and what I will do next time. I'm also sad it's almost over, I have enjoyed reading your comments also!

As to where I'm heading next... My self and my younger cousin, my older cousin and her son (the three year old) are trying to plan a summer cruise. Probably to Cozumel, even though I want to go to Grand Cayman.

I'm also going to go a solo November of next year. I'm debating between a 7 day on the Valor that visits Nassau, La Romana, Grand Turk and San Juan.

OR

A 7 day on the Carnival Dream going to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya

I hope you guys have a blast! I really enjoyed my cruise. It is a good ship, the layout is a little confusing, but we sailed at capacity according to one of the entertainment staff people and it didn't feel crowded at all.

I have sailed on the Ecstacy twice out of Galveston and LOVED it! Great ship!:)

I am so happy to learn so many of you want to cruise solo or have already!

It really was a great experience! I am so glad I did it, and now that I am more familiar with cruising I know how to do it BETTER!

I'm sure all of you will have a wonderful time solo also! Please let me know how it goes!

I've really had a blast writing this review, it's helped me relive a little bit of my cruise again and reflect on what I've done and what I will do next time. I'm also sad it's almost over, I have enjoyed reading your comments also!

The best way to get over the sadness is to book another cruise to write another review on :)

See how easy that is *LOL*

Loved hearing about the dolphins.

I enjoy your writing very much. :)

The best way to get over the sadness is to book another cruise to write another review on :)

See how easy that is *LOL*

Loved hearing about the dolphins.

I enjoy your writing very much. :)

You're aboslutely correct!!!! That is why with my next pay check I'm putting down a cruise deposit :D

I think I've settled on the Valor out of Miami... I'd really love to go to San Juan and Grand Turk.

Archived