Shy Girl Goes To Sea. An Ecstasy Review 11/17/11

TriciaEMTB

I did my first solo cruise last winter and I enjoyed Any Time Dining. When asked at the desk 'how many?" I would say one to share. I was always put at a table with at least 8 people. I met lots of different people and dinners weren't lonely. That was my greatest fear of sailing solo.

Even when travelling with a friend and doing Traditional Dining we always say we will share at lunch or breakfast in the dining room. Some of the people are never seen again and others become friends to chat with when we see each other on the ship or shore. Other cruisers that share are usually friendly!

You looked great in that dress on elegant night and I really enjoyed reading your detailed review with all the great pictures. :)

Thank you so much! that is so sweet! I was REALLY nervous about the dress, but I have to admit... there is something about dressing up that once you get over the initial "omg.. I'm in a dress" that just made me feel pretty.

I did my first solo cruise last winter and I enjoyed Any Time Dining. When asked at the desk 'how many?" I would say one to share. I was always put at a table with at least 8 people. I met lots of different people and dinners weren't lonely. That was my greatest fear of sailing solo.

Even when travelling with a friend and doing Traditional Dining we always say we will share at lunch or breakfast in the dining room. Some of the people are never seen again and others become friends to chat with when we see each other on the ship or shore. Other cruisers that share are usually friendly!

I was never asked how many, I was just asked for my sail and sign card, handed it over, and was led to a table. I was hoping I'd be asked but it seemed like everyone was seated with however many came in his party.

Tricia loved your review. I'm supposed to be working but I spent all morning reading your review. I've gone solo by accident one time and after the initial I know my marriage is over boo hoo cry fest I HAD A BLAST!! If your cousin bails at the last minute shoot me a PM I'll take his place.

And girl you rocked that black dress!

One word - CROCS! Love them. Flip flops, sneaker, clog and I'm waiting on the boots to go on sale. The ugliest most comfy shoe I've found.

I was never asked how many, I was just asked for my sail and sign card, handed it over, and was led to a table. I was hoping I'd be asked but it seemed like everyone was seated with however many came in his party.

I was never asked also. I just told them. One morning I was with my friend and they started to take us to a table for 2. Right away we told him no, we'd like to share please. It worked every time.

One cruise my friend and I we seated at a table where our table mates rarely came to the dining room so we sat alone. It was okay but it would have been nice to have company. That was my fear with my solo cruise. I didn't want to be alone at dinner so my travel agent recommended anytime.

Really nice review. You probably did not know this, but

if you request it Carnival has tables for solo travelers.

They may not be necessarily be single, but they

will be traveling solo. I have done this a couple

of times, and it has worked out very well.

Or you can always just go with the traditional

dining, and just ask for a large table..

Next month I am going on a cruise with

some people I met last year on a cruise

the same week..

I had anytime dining.

If I sail solo again, I will do traditional dining. I loved being able to eat whenever, but two out of four nights, I didn't have anyone to talk to while eating. I was never asked if I'd like to sit alone or if I'd like to sit with others, it seemed that however many you came with is however many you would be sitting with.

Once I was seated off in a corner by myself and the next couple was several tables down. It was a little odd, and I felt very isolated. Another time, the people I sat next too didn't want to talk.

This night, however, I was seated next to a couple. One was a mechanic and one was a nurse. I love meeting other health care professionals. After appetizers, they introduced themselves. I was thankful, as I'm VERY shy.

Meals were a little difficult for me. It was really the only time I felt lonely. While feeling lonely I began to reflect on being dumped and it was kind of a downer.

Anyway, I found the service in the dining room to be hit or miss. The first night the waiter just came up and mumbled for my order. I wasn't even sure what he said. I was already nervous about dinner. The fanciest place I eat is Chilis. While this wasn't five star, it was definitely not Chilis.

I ordered minestrone soup and pork steak

PB170031.jpg

PB170032.jpg

Carnival seems to have a thing about putting weird food together. A black olive in the mac'n'cheese? Hmm! Weird! And folks, it does get weirder later on!

Followed by the famous warm chocolate melting cake. I LOVED this

PB170033.jpg

I had been reading reviews about horrible cold food on the Ecstasy. My food was almost always hot (the exception is one breakfast.) and very good.

I timed it right to see the waiter dance. They danced to Low by Flo Rida. It was awesome, so much fun! One older lady got up and start jamming out with the waiter, I was a little envious, she looked like she was having a blast.

Oh, and they had REAL butter.

PB170028.jpg

PB170027.jpg

Loving your review! That was very brave of you to go by yourself....I keep thinking of doing it, but so far I haven't had the nerve!

Solos can't stand being called brave! Several threads about it on the solo board.

Take the jump, it's fun doing what you want when you want.

Great review - I was on the 11/7 cruise and will be on Ecstasy again next week.

And for those who are interested, there is a officially cruise critic solo group cruise in the works over on the solo board. Very early stages, but we'll get it off the ground! We will be sailing Nov 2013!

Wow, can you do that? I thought CC group cruises had to be open to all members no matter what - solos, couples, quads, even the 16 waitrons who all share a Manhattan studio.... just kidding about the last one....

I love cruising solo - if I had never done it, I'd have no idea how relaxing a vacation can really be.

Just came home last Sunday from my first cruise, one that I took solo, as I posted here before we set sailed on Christmas Day. I posted my review this morning, but it has not been approved yet by the cruisecritic.com staff. So, I also posted it in the 'Braving, Pathetic, Lonely solo trips' thread at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1455493&page=9

It's a long review, so please be patient:o

Hey Trish! I've never cruised solo, but took the kids on Disney once and the only time I saw them was dinner time and Castaway Cay day. They loved the kids club and I loved the alone time. We are cruising the Ecstasy in Feb with a group of friends. I am really disappointed that my BFF won't join us cause we're all couples and she don't have a BF. I told her who cares, we're not honeymooners hanging all over each other. Her loss I guess and my husband and I usually do anytime dinning and if you would have sat by us, my old man would have talked your leg off! I see a solo cruise in my future as my husband works all summer and the kids are getting older and I just love to cruise! PS I also liked your black dress!

Great review - I was on the 11/7 cruise and will be on Ecstasy again next week.

Wow, can you do that? I thought CC group cruises had to be open to all members no matter what - solos, couples, quads, even the 16 waitrons who all share a Manhattan studio.... just kidding about the last one....

I love cruising solo - if I had never done it, I'd have no idea how relaxing a vacation can really be.

Well its going to be focused on solos but we can't exclude anyone.

If duos or tripletts or quads want to join in, the more the merrier! But a majority of us will be solo.

Thank you for reading! I used Olympus TG-310. It's an underwater camera with video and panorama capabilities. I'm totally in love with it. For the dolphins I used the rapid sequence setting. It kept taking pictures as long as I held the button down. I love this feature and hate it at the same time, it's really great for catching the perfect pictures, but it's a lower pixel quality.

I did not think I would inspire people to cruise solo, but I'm glad I did! I actually didn't think anyone would like my review!

sjn I'm so jealous! That sound fabulous!

Thank you all so much for reading and sharing in my adventure with me!

I'll be back in a bit to write my final condensed thoughts!

A fan club, really? Hehe! I can't wait to go on my next cruise, I'm already driving my family crazy.

You are great! Wonderful review of the Ecstasy--we are cruising her on April 28, 2012 and were a little hesitant with some "nasty" reviews by disgruntled travelers. You have dashed those concerns. Hope all goes well for you on your next cruise. There is no such thing as a "bad" cruise. Enjoy and take care.

Grandeur of the Seas - Nov. 2008

Carnival Legend - May 2009

Grandeur of the Seas - Dec. 2009

Majesty of the Seas - April 2010

Carnival Freedom - Oct. 2010

Radiance of the Seas - Feb. 2011

Carnival Fantasy - May 2011

Noordam - Dec. 2011

Carnival Ecstasy - April 2012

• 3 weeks later...
well its going to be focused on solos but we can't exclude anyone.

If duos or tripletts or quads want to join in, the more the merrier! But a majority of us will be solo.

Tricia, I just discovered your thread while reading anything I could find about Carnival Ecstacy, which my dh and myself are boarding on 1/30/12 - I have never read as interesting and amusing review!! You really could be a travel writer. I just wanted to say I am sorry that your review is finished. :( I have written in my journal to look for your review of your next cruise -11/25/12 (hope I don't miss it). Thanks for writing your review and giving so many people the vicarious pleasure!

Jean (an old lady who loves cruises)

One young woman grabbed me and pulled me to the side, before I had a chance to say "No, thank you." she was putting a bracelet on my wrist and another in my hand. A blue and white one and a green white and brown one. She started telling me they were made by special education kids, and asking for a donation and telling me to be fair to the kids. I pulled out a $10 and gave it to her. She then asked for a donation for the other one. I thought the $10 covered them both! I ended up giving her a $5.

Wow Tricia! The same thing happened to me in Nassau. Me and my BF were walking back from Atlantis, heading towards the water taxis when a lady came up to me, grabbed my arm, and put a bracelet on me. She gave the same spiel about the children. I paid the donation, but my BF was not happy about it. LOL

love reading the review. im also looking into sailing solo for my first time in either march or april. i would do a 2-5 day cruise. I usually cruise with my brother. my biggest fear is eating alone. I dont mind going to a fast food joint alone here at home, but it would feel weird to me (even with traditional dining) if nobody showed up.

Maybe you can ask for a BIG BIG table in traditional dining? I think the odds of no one showing up at one of the big ten tops is a lot less than the smaller tables.

People are unusually friendly on a cruise!

And if no one around you wants to talk and you're at a table by yourself, break out a book!

That lady is a SHARK isn't she!?

Thank you again for all your kind words, I'm so glad you all enjoyed my review! It was a pleasure writing it and I am looking forward to reviewing my next cruise!

She hit us with bracelets and necklaces. I gave her some, but not all she asked for and she took the bracelets back.

Great review by the way. Thanks

Archived