Shy Girl Goes To Sea. An Ecstasy Review 11/17/11

TriciaEMTB

Ditto what everyone else has said -- thank you for the fabulous review! You looked gorgeous in your formal night dress. Kudos to you for having the guts to go for what you wanted and make the most of it!

Among other things, your review has inspired me to try to be more sensitive to solo travellers. If I run into one, I'll try to make more of a point to be more friendly and not so standoffish. I'm not an outgoing person by nature, but if you can do a whole cruise with the style and flair you've shown here, then surely I could manage to strike up a conversation with someone I see dining alone!

Becky

Again, let me chime in with my gratitude, thanks for taking the time to post such a wonderful review!

Now, I have no problem with folks going alone and am not saying that, but I haven't had the nerve to do it. I am thinking about taking the plunge and going solo on a cruise. So much easier than trying to find someone that either has the time or funds to travel with me. Reading your review, it does sound like you had a ball traveling solo!

I wish that I lived closer so that it was easier to get on a ship...by the time I pay for the air fare, my budget is a tad higher than your $450! (air is normaly about $300):(

Thanks for writing this review. although I am married and am forcing my husband to go on a cruise with me in September of next year for our 10th anniversary, he absolutely hates cruising. :(:(:(

it's so sad. i want to cruise all of the time, so i asked my mom to come with me on a cruise in January. After reading your review and after we are done with January and September, I will seriously consider just going by myself in 2013.

Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience alone and have fun on your next cruise, whomever you might be cruising with. :D

Thank you for your review!!! Add me to the list of solo cruisers you've inspired. :p Well, not technically solo, because I will NOT go without my little kids. But this shy girl will definitely be booking a cruise for just the 3 of us next year. No more worrying about talking someone else into tagging along.

I don't think you did anything wrong, apparently I exceeded my photobucket bandwith. Boo!

Here is my photobucket account, I don't know if you can see it this way: http://s1139.photobucket.com/albums/n555/Patricia_Garrett/

Those pictures of nothing are just ones I haven't gone in and deleted yet.

I just noticed your last name from photobucket. Oddly enough, your smile reminds me of my step sister and y'all have the same last name :) Love all the pictures. The Bahamas had never been on my list of places to visit.... until I read your review.

I am sad your review is over :(. It was the best I have read in a LONG time!!! Even though I couldn't see the pictures- something about how popular you are and you exceeded your bandwidth :)

Can't wait for you to cruise again and write another review! Thanks for the review!

I'm glad your second port excursions worked out for you. I also took my first solo cruise this past April. I decided on early seating and was seated with 4 other singles and a couple. We had a blast! we usually went to the comedy shows together after dinner and it really made it feel that I was not alone. As you probably noticed people are usually much more open and friendly when on vacation. I see your hooked and you will have an even better time on your next cruise. Thanks for an enjoyable review.

Dan

What a great attitude :) and great advice.

There are people that cruise 10 times a year , on the luxury lines , in the biggest suites , to the most exotic places and they come here and piss and moan about the ice buckets not being filled on time or the bacon at the buffett wasn't crisp enough or someone 5 tables over in the dining room didn't have a tie on. Or they are screaming for compensation because of this or that .

They could all learn a lesson from you :)

If you go on 100 cruises (and I hope you get to :)) never lose that wonderful attitude and sweet smile.

Baby her is sweet talking you..LOL....J/k,,,, j/k..he is right. When intelligence, sweetness, humor , beginning open positive mind, and healthy common sense mixed with a thrist for healthy adventure and zest for life.. and a positive attitude..all come in one package..well and the all just everything mixes with you..that you that no one can replace..it is a wonderful thing. Thanks for this thanksgiving gift to all of us...i can not wait for the next review and to get over some of my negatives, (not pushing through like i used to in some exploring) about travel by your example..Happy Happy Thanksgiving dolphin girl....Sarah

Thanks so much for the awesome review. Like as others have said, you are a great writer. I love how honest you were about the good and the bad.... I am going on my first cruise in 2 weeks and enjoyed hearing about the experience from a first time cruiser. I wanted to show my husband the picture of the ships in port but it says you have run out of bandwidth.

What is bandwidth?

Basically, its the amount of data transmitted over the internet and in this case thru her photobucket account. Most free accounts of this type limit the amount of data (in this case in picture data) that can be hosted on their servers and shared.

Basically, its the amount of data transmitted over the internet and in this case thru her photobucket account. Most free accounts of this type limit the amount of data (in this case in picture data) that can be hosted on their servers and shared.

Kurt come on over & join out Jan.30 roll call.

Char:)

Thanks for posting the link to your pictures on photobucket. I was able to see them page by page there. Most of the ones you posted on the review are not coming up.

Great great great review! Love your spontaneity, candor and guts to sail alone and to walk down the street in those not so safe areas!

Ecstasy is a great ship; I really miss her now that she is no longer sailing out of Galveston. She is much nicer than the Triumph IMHO!

Tricia, I have thoroughly enjoyed your review and pics! I think you are an awesomely lovely young woman and looked lovely in your elegant wear. And, I also (like so many others) think you are a wonderful writer. I think you should submit this review with the photos -- just as it is but your posts only -- for publication to a travel magazine. I would think one of them would be glad to snap it up and maybe pay you more than enough for your next cruise.

Thanks again for the review & pics!!!

Thanks! :)

I made a real effort to get out of my shell and talk to people. It was kind of awkward at times. I was still kind of shy, though. I didn't go down the water slide or into the pools or hot tubs because I was too shy, and a little too body conscious.

I almost didn't make it to elegant night because I was a little uncomfortable and body shy in the dress.

The exboyfriend thing is still kind of a bummer. I really really thought he was the one. He seemed a little distant the last couple of weeks, and I kept asking if everything was okay, and he told me it was. We were making plans for the holidays and everything. Finally he blind sided me saying his feelings had "shifted" to another woman. I was absolutely devastated.

BUT, there are other guys out there, right?

I really can't wait to cruise again. I'm planning one as we speak! :)

I am really liking your review! I am thinking of doing a solo cruise but not sure yet. I am also shy and body conscious but I am working on it. My boyfriend of 8 years decided that he was not ready to settle down with me and was seeing someone for a month before our cruise on the Carnival Miracle. He did not have the courage to tell me about it until I started snooping and had a gut feeling. We broke up two months after that cruise.

I still wanted to cruise so I got my parents onto cruising so I was going with them the last two times. I found someone else but he to is not ready to settle so we might end up as friends.We just got back from the Disney line that was in Nassau with you.

Cruising is great and starting to plan my next one!

Let me start off by saying, I know the Ecstasy is a "small" ship, but to me it felt huge.

Hi Trisha, I know exactly what you mean!! :D I took my 1st cruise on the Imagination (a sister ship to Ecstasy) and when I 1st boarded and for the rest of the day, I think I was walking around with my mouth hanging open, the ship seemed so huge!!!! :eek: I got used to it in a day or so though. I'll tell you this though, when you get on a bigger ship someday, after the 1st day or so, it won't feel nearly as big (and this is coming from someone who sailed on the Maiden Voyage of the then Biggest Ship in the World, the Oasis of the Seas, a truly incredible ship by the way, I highly recommend it)!!

About 3 or 4 years ago, Mom and I were debarking after our cruise on the Carnival Freedom (one of my all time favourite ships) and the Imagination was docked right behind us at the Port of Miami. I was thrilled as it was my 1st ship and still has a very special place in my heart!! :D I was standing on the top deck of the Freedom looking down (literaly) at the Imagination and laughing as I commented to my Mom how small it was (well, still is) and remember our time onboard when it felt like the biggest ship in the world!! :eek: :D I'm sure the same thing will happen for you when you see the Ecstasy again someday!! I hope it stays as special to you as the Imagination is to me!!!! :D

I can't wait to see the Imagination up close and personal again!! I'm intending on doing a B2B on her in the next couple of years!!!!

I am really liking your review! I am thinking of doing a solo cruise but not sure yet. I am also shy and body conscious but I am working on it. My boyfriend of 8 years decided that he was not ready to settle down with me and was seeing someone for a month before our cruise on the Carnival Miracle. He did not have the courage to tell me about it until I started snooping and had a gut feeling. We broke up two months after that cruise.

I still wanted to cruise so I got my parents onto cruising so I was going with them the last two times. I found someone else but he to is not ready to settle so we might end up as friends.We just got back from the Disney line that was in Nassau with you.

Cruising is great and starting to plan my next one!

Hi are you my alter ego!?

We live in the same city, had similar boyfriend situtions... Are you sure you're not ME? :P

Heck, looking at your cruise history we probably passed eachother on the way to the port! :P

Patricia, I just finished reading your review (It took me two days :eek:!)

Someone has to give you a job as a travel reviewer, seriously... I'm not joking. I have read hundreds of cruise reviews and never have I gotten as much out of one.

My family and I are taking the same cruise at the end of January so we really appreciated what you had to say and the pictures to go along with it. I hope you don't mind, but I'm using a few of you pictures as desktop wallpaper, you know to get even more excited about the trip.

You mentioned that you are considering the Dream next year, we were on that last year. It is VERY big, especially compared to the Ecstasy... but VERY nice as well. I honestly found it a little to big and crowded, that is what prompted us to try a smaller ship like the Ecstasy.

I think someone already mentioned it here, but look up the roll cal for your next cruise. It really is a fantastic way to meet some people prior to going. Normally people wear "beads" to identify themselves as CC members and plan to meet on the first day.

I thank you again and I seriously hope you get a job offer to review cruise lines! Someone contact John Heald...:cool:

Cheers,

Kurt

Don't often post but..........

I agree absolutely with the above poster. Seriously, Patricia, your review was the BEST I have read on CC. Continue cruising, maybe someday I'll see you on the same cruise. :rolleyes: Until then, happy sailing. :)

Nicole

Great review. There is definitely something to be said for the smaller ships. I love the layout of the Fantasy class ships!! Looking forward to your next review (and don't worry at all about the boyfriend thing...there are plenty of others out there who would appreciate someone with as sweet a spirit as you!!)

Thank you!

I will definitely have to price check for that one!

I am already getting frustrated trying to coordinate a "not solo" cruise with my family members. They both want something different and can't agree... One wants to go in the summer, the other one can't afford to go in the summer. One wants a short cruise, one wants a long cruise. I'm about to wash my hands at it, tell them to find their own cruise and book myself on a short summer cruise solo again.

But definitely settled on a solo on the Valor in Nov. Going to be definitely solo! My grandmother was like "You want to go by yourself again?" I guess she doesn't get it, I had a blast!

I vote wash your hands and let me know when you are going. lol. I can't get the hubs on board with a 5 day. boo. lol.

Seriously though...I love the way you embrace life and just do it (as Nike would say..haha). It is truly inspiring. <3

Thanks! :)

I made a real effort to get out of my shell and talk to people. It was kind of awkward at times. I was still kind of shy, though. I didn't go down the water slide or into the pools or hot tubs because I was too shy, and a little too body conscious. I almost didn't make it to elegant night because I was a little uncomfortable and body shy in the dress. The exboyfriend thing is still kind of a bummer. I really really thought he was the one. He seemed a little distant the last couple of weeks, and I kept asking if everything was okay, and he told me it was. We were making plans for the holidays and everything. Finally he blind sided me saying his feelings had "shifted" to another woman. I was absolutely devastated. BUT, there are other guys out there, right? I really can't wait to cruise again. I'm planning one as we speak! :)

Patricia, if ever there were a time when I could fall for someone online, this would be it. You seem like such a brave soul, who is so sweet, and really really generous with sharing your life. I am going on my first cruise, and doing it solo to boot. Although I am male, and should feel safer in public alone, you still inspire me with your courage. Your Ex must be a fool.

Looking forward to reading more from you about your solo-cruise, and more about you as well:-)

Thanks, Jim

Archived