For those who have traveled out of Puerto Rico

tanelicus

Considering taking the Adventure out of Puerto Rico. My biggest concern is air fare. Realize that this is a location relevant question. Wondering what the comparison is in air fare between flying into South Florida, and San Juan. Obviously its going to be on average higher, just wondering how much higher.

We flew out of Kansas City in 1-10 for about $800. We flew to FLL, met up with friends, then flew MIA to SJU. That worked out great for us, and the flight from MIA to SJU was cheap. We're flying out again in 2-12 for about the same price. This time, though we're flying to FLL, and on to SJU from there for about the same price. My advice is to book early, and keep an eye on what flights are costing now. Deals can be had, but you have to keep checking.

We're sailing out of San Juan for the fourth time this January on Serenade and our flights were booked back in June or July, just after I booked the cruise.

Total cost for two of us flying from Buffalo, NY to San Juan was $867 using Jet Blue and connecting in New York. Airfare was a bit more expensive this year than what we paid in the past, but not enough to stop us from cruising from San Juan! :D

I just checked our flights again a few days ago and the same flights are now $1250 total so I believe it pays to book early, or watch for sales.

I too am looking at taking a cruise out of San Juan. I did a price comparison flying out of KC into Miami and also San Juan. Honestly, it was only about $120 more per ticket. Considering the cruise out of SJ is ~$400 cheaper per person..it will actually cost us less to fly out of San Juan.

I would book a flight with only SWA or AirTran or a combination of both. AirTran flies to San Juan but they are now operated in the background by SWA. Early in the coming year their planes will all be painted and converted fully to SWA. That means your price rules will switch over to SWA meaning you will get free luggage and price reductions for the asking should they occur.

I just got off an AirTran flight from San Juan and the GO magazine already has the CEO of SWA, Gary Kelly, featured in the front of the magazine. The flight attendants are a whole lot nicer than in the past. I guess they want to keep their jobs during the conversion.

If it were me, I'd book SWA to FL and switch to AirTran to San Juan. If your flight ends up being an "airtran" flight, your flight segment points will convert over to SWA rapid rewards points in some way yet to be announced. This is just something for you to think about.

Gina

Air fare is hit or miss. The week that I am looking to cruise next year I saw some pretty decent pricing to San Juan. I am not sure how far out your cruise is. Don't forget that with Southwest taking over Air Tran there may soon be some interesting fare structures coming out to San Juan.

I will tell you this, Adventure's southern Caribbean itineraries out of San Juan are so much better than the typical eastern/western Caribbean itineraries out of FL and, in my opinion, worth paying a bit more to get to Puerto Rico.

Coming from NY the airfare is very close if you book airfare early so for me-it's a no brainer. Love the southern ports so it's Puerto Rico over Fla any day.

And, as another poster noted, the cruise itself is usually cheaper then a Florida departure so in the end, it evens out or is still cheaper.

What is the best and cheapest means

To many, those words are contradictory. To many others, redundant.

Personally, if made Emperor of the World for a day (or hour), I would banish the use of "best" in forums, because it means so many different things to different people.

As for cheap....do your research.

To many, those words are contradictory. To many others, redundant.

Personally, if made Emperor of the World for a day (or hour), I would banish the use of "best" in forums, because it means so many different things to different people.

As for cheap....do your research.

Frankly, the beauty of a forum is that I don`t and won`t do my research. I can find out through others experience.

As far as getting the better ( does this work) price, I like to cross check.

And going along with your premise, isn`t cheap a relative term?

tanelicus- before posting, you may want to read the posting guidelines. Discussions of specific travel agencies is not allowed.

There shall be no third-party recommendation of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

LOL - I am not sure how many people actually read the forum rules, but I get what you are saying.

I think that I was actually asking it from that angle, but said a few internet agencies. A general answer would have been more than fine.

We flew to SJU last December from western Canada. Fare to SJU was essentially the same as the fare to FLL/MIA. Perhaps we caught a deal. Airfare changes all the time so who really knows?

It was our first time in San Juan...we much preferred it to FLL or MIA. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be as many 10/11/12 days cruises out of SJ this year.

Archived