Panama Canal Cruise

ChelseaSailor

Thank you for the review...really enjoyed it! Did you feel that it was a long day taking the Ferry over to the Pacific? Also, do you think it matters which side the Stateroom is on? We are on Portside as well in March.

Thanks.

Thank you for the review...really enjoyed it! Did you feel that it was a long day taking the Ferry over to the Pacific? Also, do you think it matters which side the Stateroom is on? We are on Portside as well in March.

Thanks.

We did the ferry and it did seem to drag on as the large ship we shared the locks with moved a lot slower than we did, so we had to wait for it each time--and you have to go through three locks. Plus it was raining. Then we had to wait for an available boat to retreive the pilot from the ferry. Once we got back on land, it was rush hour around Panama City, so traffic was at a standstill. We were the last excursion to return to the ship and they practically pulled in the gangplank while we were standing on it [slight exaggeration :) ].

Also bear in mind that you are up early to watch the entry into the canal, so it is a LONG day.

It was a long day on the ferry but it was worth it. We were the only ship in the lock. The Canal was my major reason for taking the cruise so my perspective might be different than others. It was a hoot to touch the canal wall and to go by the huge lock door so close up.

ChelseaSailor

Enjoyed your review. I haven't done one yet: always the procrastinator. We were on the same itinerary in October.

I found it interesting that you said the band was "Natalie and the HALCats."

On our cruise it was "Amanda and the HALCats." If Natalie/Amanda were the lead singers, I wonder what happened to Amanda as there were more than a few comments about her being a little off-key. I had thought about making a comment about it on the survey at the end of the cruise, but I was afraid the poor girl might lose her job.

Thanks for your review. I'm going on the Zuiderdam in Jan. and getting excited. Been through the canal 3 times and did a partial once. Still I find it one of the most exciting cruises. We are doing the ferry and have wondered about it, but I told my friend that we have to see the whole thing. Doing the partial it was imperative to go to the other side. It was either the ferry or train. We decided on the ferry.

My friend bought the Richard Ditrich book about the Panama Canal. After she read it she lent it to me. I'm reading it now. Even though I've been there before there is still much to learn. I highly recommend anybody going to the Panama Canal to do a little research before you go. Lot of history and certainly a world wonder.

Enjoyed your review. I haven't done one yet: always the procrastinator. We were on the same itinerary in October.

I found it interesting that you said the band was "Natalie and the HALCats."

On our cruise it was "Amanda and the HALCats." If Natalie/Amanda were the lead singers, I wonder what happened to Amanda as there were more than a few comments about her being a little off-key. I had thought about making a comment about it on the survey at the end of the cruise, but I was afraid the poor girl might lose her job.

At the Pool Party,on the lido deck, at night it was Amanda and the Hellcats. I didn't go so I don't know if her voice got any better. Natalie was part of a celebration in the Main Dinning Room that night.

ChelseaSailor

Thanks for your review. I'm going on the Zuiderdam in Jan. and getting excited. Been through the canal 3 times and did a partial once. Still I find it one of the most exciting cruises. We are doing the ferry and have wondered about it, but I told my friend that we have to see the whole thing. Doing the partial it was imperative to go to the other side. It was either the ferry or train. We decided on the ferry.

My friend bought the Richard Ditrich book about the Panama Canal. After she read it she lent it to me. I'm reading it now. Even though I've been there before there is still much to learn. I highly recommend anybody going to the Panama Canal to do a little research before you go. Lot of history and certainly a world wonder.

I got Richard Ditrich's book also. It was a great help. He highly recommended the Ferry Trip and I am glad I took his advice. Reading his book enhanced my trip.

ChelseaSailor

Archived