Escargot on 7 night

ManyMore

My husband loves these little critters but they haven't had them on our last few cruises. We have only done 4 and 5 nights past couple of years so I was wondering if they just don't have them any more or if it is a 7 night cruise thing, anyone know?

My husband loves these little critters but they haven't had them on our last few cruises. We have only done 4 and 5 nights past couple of years so I was wondering if they just don't have them any more or if it is a 7 night cruise thing, anyone know?

I tried them for the first time on my first cruise (Costa Magica/7nt). Missed them on our recent Inspiration 5 nighter. Hoping to have some on the Valor 7 nt. next year. I think I've seen posts that said they had them in the Steakhouses ($30/pp). You'd think it would be a natural fit with CCLs new Didja Ever (as in didja ever try...) campaign.

This year was the first time I had the cahunas to try them...and they weren't too bad...if you dip them in the butter...they taste like a mushroom...and even look a little like a mushroom...but they were pretty small....served on a plate that held 8 or so....

Yes, they are on 7 night cruises. These were on our Nov 13th Carnival Conquest cruise:

DSC_4340.JPG

They are on the Day 6 menu which is normally the second elegant night, but they switched menus, so we had them on night 5.

The rest of the food:

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalConquest2011/menus/MDRmenus.htm

{they are not on the same night as lobster}

Edited by Sargent_Schultz

They are scarey if you have not had them and grew up land locked..but I LOVE them and look forward to them..one must admit that is a special item that it looks like they do well...sarah

When a young student in France and a home stay family..the mother was truly a chef and they eat so much better and more fresh than we do..well..she took us on a very spendy to her day to Omaha beach, gas was ungodly there in 1980....and to Deauville, all from Caen, Normandy and bought a very huge fresh fish and seafood dinner fresh off the boat at the seaside....well you had to take the good with the bad...one delicacy...LIVE SNAILS..OMG..but the larger escargot and variety and what she did for us and our dinners..one had to suck it up and take one..very very rude there not to try...stopped breathing and ate one...fast..ohhh boy...sarah

I've had fried Alligator...not too impressed...

probably wouldn't eat it again unless I was starving...

not terrible but not delicious either...

What arrived at table was not what I thought I'd get.

I was expecting a 'round' ..cross section of tail meat maybe

5/8th. inch thick?

What came was two spherical balls, maybe 2.5 ins. dia. in a batter maybe

Cutting into them revealed the white pre-flaked meat inside.

As you say no thriller.

Still, I would try it again if only to compare with the first experience

to see if the second one was as uninteresting as the first?

Their eggplant is not great either

My wife does considerably better with egg-plant, at home

but egg-plant is not easy stuff to make delicious or even near-delicious.

Despite all that, cruise ship food beats having to cook and do the dishes back home

-by quite some distance.

We just had them two weeks ago on a three day cruise on the Sensation from Port Canaveral to Nassau.

Had them a few years back on the Holiday...a 5 day to Cozumel and Progresso....in fact have had them on every cruise since.... the last time was last January on a Fantasy 5 day to the Bahamas.....wanted to try them the first time but just didn't think I could do it until some young college boys at our table gave me the confidence...now I love them and look forward to them every cruise.

the first thing I do on the first night in the MDR is ask what night they are serving Escargot. I tell them right then that I don't want to miss them and in fact want two orders every time they are served.

On the Magic in the Med (12-day) they had them two different nights served two different ways. Had 2 each time. Better than dessert:D.

I was in heaven!

• 6 years later...
What arrived at table was not what I thought I'd get.

I was expecting a 'round' ..cross section of tail meat maybe

5/8th. inch thick?

What came was two spherical balls, maybe 2.5 ins. dia. in a batter maybe

Cutting into them revealed the white pre-flaked meat inside.

As you say no thriller.

Still, I would try it again if only to compare with the first experience

to see if the second one was as uninteresting as the first?

Their eggplant is not great either

My wife does considerably better with egg-plant, at home

but egg-plant is not easy stuff to make delicious or even near-delicious.

Despite all that, cruise ship food beats having to cook and do the dishes back home

-by quite some distance.

Louisiana mountain oysters?