Can we bring bottled Water or Soda on Board

I strongly dislike diet coke, so I purchased a 24 pk of diet dr pepper for our Oasis cruise in May of this year. I reinforced it with clear packing tape and slapped a luggage tag on it. I figured if it didn't make it, no big deal. I also tipped the porter extra. It made it. I'll probably try it next time too. And, no, I don't smuggle anything else on, and if they sold what I liked I wouldn't go to the trouble of trying to get it on. No flames, please!!!

So, I've been told by waiters. I haven't had yellow, orange or brown water yet in the dining room. But I've had it in my stateroom in varying degrees at one time or another during almost every cruise - including Navigator last week.

We had that on the RD last year...YUCK.............even the concierge and some of the guest service team told us they never drink the tap water.......:eek:

we just got back off the Jewel and i seen two different people dragging a 24 pack of water on a luggage carrier the just had a luggage tag on the water and I took a 6 pack in my luggage with no problem

They got lucky... I just sailed the 12/5 Jewel and they confiscated my 12 pack of water as well as my 12 pack of Diet Pepsi... I was told that it had something to do with the Mexican ports of call and that they just implemented it on 12/4...:rolleyes: Again this maybe a hit or miss thing...

I strongly dislike diet coke, so I purchased a 24 pk of diet dr pepper for our Oasis cruise in May of this year. I reinforced it with clear packing tape and slapped a luggage tag on it. I figured if it didn't make it, no big deal. I also tipped the porter extra. It made it. I'll probably try it next time too. And, no, I don't smuggle anything else on, and if they sold what I liked I wouldn't go to the trouble of trying to get it on. No flames, please!!!

This I TOTALLY agree with IF RCI sold Pepsi cards I would have no issue with purchasing one...

I would rather buy their bottled water package than go through the hassle of taking it onboard, but it cost me 50.00 plus an 8.00 gratuity for 16 bottles of water to be delivered to my stateroom! I flinched, but bought it anyway. Now, if I want diet Dr Pepper I either bring it or do without since you can't buy it on board at any price. I'm just saying, if they don't want us to bring bottled water and Dr Pepper onboard, offer them at a reasonable price.

Happy Sailing!

Allure - NEXT SUNDAY

Radiance 3/2011

Legend (Carnival) 8/2010

Freedom 12/2009

Grandeur 12/2008

Mariner 12/2007

Wonder (Disney 3/2000)

Emerald Seas (Easern 7/1974)

Edited by Dinkachu

we have always packed a soft sided cooler with a sealed six pack of water and various cans of soda without incident. (Miami and Port Everglades) Oh, we put a room tag on it and its been delivered.

However, with that said, we ran into a woman on a recent (nov. 26) jewel (Tampa) who was livid that her two big plastic type bottles of soda were confiscated. She said it was the first time this happened as she normally brings two bottles on board each cruise (she cruises often). So maybe it is new. We'll find out Thursday as my cooler is already packed.

I would rather buy their bottled water package than go through the hassle of taking it onboard, but it cost me 50.00 plus an 8.00 gratuity for 16 bottles of water to be delivered to my stateroom! I flinched, but bought it anyway. Now, if I want diet Dr Pepper I either bring it or do without since you can't buy it on board at any price. I'm just saying, if they don't want us to bring bottled water and Dr Pepper onboard, offer them at a reasonable price.

Happy Sailing!

Allure - NEXT SUNDAY

Radiance 3/2011

Legend (Carnival) 8/2010

Freedom 12/2009

Grandeur 12/2008

Mariner 12/2007

Wonder (Disney 3/2000)

Emerald Seas (Easern 7/1974)

That is unreasonable for water. Now if they offered an unlimited bottled water package. :rolleyes: Of course the bottled water would also have to be spring water for me. I don't drinking "drinking" water or mineral water.

I was surprised on Navigator last week that both the glass bottled water in the suite and the plastic bottled water delivered as the D+ amenity were both spring water. The exact same bottles on Adventure last month were both mineral water.

I can get a 24 pack (single serving standard size bottles) of Zepherhills spring water for $3.50 regularly. I would pay RCI 4 times that amount to not have to carry it on. More than a 4X markup is not reasonable.

Of course on a one week cruise, I'd want only 12 bottles.

Gina

:confused: I see you can buy beverage packages but I was wondering if you can bring your own water & soda on board as we have never sailed on a Royal Caribbean Ship.

Thanks

Ruth

i always take a case of soda have never been told i can't i put it in my suitcase ,if i fly i take plastic bottles, if i drive i buy a 12 pk of coke we have been on 22 cruises just got off the explorer dec 1,2011 have a great time

I sailed on Liberty on Dec. 1st from Port Everglades. I had a 6-pk of diet DP bottles in my carry-on bag and hubby had a 6-pk of Coke Zero in his. Security opened hubby's bag, saw the bottles were Coke Zero and all still sealed, and let him continue. They did not open my bag at all.

I was drinking a bottle of water while I was waiting in line. I thought I would have to dispose of it, but security said I could bring it onboard so I carried it with me though the metal detector. They didn't even ask to verify that it was just water.

I refilled the bottle onboard from the sink and noticed that the water had a slight yellow tinge. It wasn't nearly as bad as the photo Mommabean posted but the tap water wasn't clear. I dumped that and used either glasses of water from WJ or the melted ice from my bucket to refill the bottle as needed. Neither of those water sources exhibited the yellow tinge that the tap water had. I checked the tap water a couple other times by filling one of the glasses in the cabin. It always had that slight yellow tinge. It must be something in the pipes on Liberty.

I have never done it well boarding the first day but always grab some at ports. I have just picked up whatever I wanted a 6 pack of pop, red bull, and whatever else wasn't booze and they always look at it and never said a word. I have done it at ports because they are so busy with people bringing and tagging there alcohol I figure they don't want to deal with a 6 pack of pop. But I think like everything else it just depends on who is working the scanner and what mood they maybe in at that time.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Jewel Dec 1 sailing and security was confiscating the water and sodas in the luggage. While I normally bring some bottled water onboard, I did not do so this time as we didn't have time to pick any up from the airport to the ship. However, we had a medical bag which had a small plastic sealed container of sterilized water. When the bag didn't arrive, I went down to security and there it was in the naughty room. There was a huge line of people and I waited for a few minutes. I saw sealed bottles and cases of water sitting on the table and saw the security taking sealed bottles of water from luggage. (There was also various types of alcohol on the table, but while I was waiting, all I saw them finding and taking was water).

Many of the people were upset and said they always brought bottled water. At first the security was allowing six bottles of water (for a four day cruise). Then the bar staff rep there stepped up and said NO BOTTLED WATER AT ALL. I was very surprised to hear this.

As for myself, when an officer finally walked by, I grabbed her, explained that mine was a medical bag and that we needed the bag now. She put it on the conveyer belt and the security inspector looked through it, but, while he looked through and questioned some of the items (which frankly, I found offensive within this open area and since these items were in sealed medical packaging and did not have sharp ends/edges, it was clear this just nosiness on the part of the officer as there was clearly no security issue. The officer stepped over, told the security inspector to put the bag through, and that was that (ironically, the sterilized water was never questioned).

We had been told at security that this policy prohibiting bottled water and soda from being carried on had taken effect before Thanksgiving, but I don't know whether that is true since others seem to be told that it was policy taking effect right before there cruise, which was well after our cruise.

I do hope this is not going fleetwide and I would like to know if this has continued on the Jewel.

I am going on my 1st RCI cruise since 1992. Have cruised many times with Celebrity where you can bring on one bottle each of wine. Also have done Princess. Just got off the Emerald Princess where you could bring all you want of wine, beer, water and soda onboard when embarking. Also pool towels were easily available and not checked.

I am wondering how I will feel about RCI after the posts I read about their policies on towels and beverages. I will miss not having my wine prior to dinner in my cabin. I decided to try RCI since Celebrity has left Baltimore and Princess is not an option either.

I am going on my 1st RCI cruise since 1992. Have cruised many times with Celebrity where you can bring on one bottle each of wine. Also have done Princess. Just got off the Emerald Princess where you could bring all you want of wine, beer, water and soda onboard when embarking. Also pool towels were easily available and not checked.

I am wondering how I will feel about RCI after the posts I read about their policies on towels and beverages. I will miss not having my wine prior to dinner in my cabin. I decided to try RCI since Celebrity has left Baltimore and Princess is not an option either.

Celebrity is the premium line.

RCI is for the mass market.

Remember that and you'll feel better. :)

• 3 years later...
So sounds like if you want some soda, lug it on board yourself?

How much does a soda package usually cost on a Royal Car Cruise?

The soda package is $6.50 per day plus 18% for age 18 and over.

I called RCCL about 1 1/2 ago. My price went down this morning a bit ($114 total) and just happen to check online tonight again .....down another $30. It all ads up. Being the good RCCL spokesperson he asked about a drink package. We no longer drink alcohol. So, what about water then? He quoted $40 something...Nope...! To save a tad here n there and then I put right back RCCL pockets?? Nah ... I'll bring aboard bottled water. If they take it ...I'm out $3-$4. :)

Just to add

Before our cruise on the Indy, i debated whether to bring water/soda onboard and finally i decided to stick with the rules and purchase the Evian package 24 bottles in total.

On boarding day, I realized it was good idea that I stuck to the rules. My bag went through the X-ray and the lady called it out. She mentioned to another officer that it was soda. She brought my bag to the table and begin searching it, only to find a glass bottle filled with Coke. (sealed). She let me pass after that.

Just to add

Before our cruise on the Indy, i debated whether to bring water/soda onboard and finally i decided to stick with the rules and purchase the Evian package 24 bottles in total.

On boarding day, I realized it was good idea that I stuck to the rules. My bag went through the X-ray and the lady called it out. She mentioned to another officer that it was soda. She brought my bag to the table and begin searching it, only to find a glass bottle filled with Coke. (sealed). She let me pass after that.

I am confused as to why you thought it was a good idea. They let your soda go through, right?

The call out may have been because they thought you had booze - not water or soda.

Count me among those who like to bring their own soda and bottled water. But I'm much too lazy to carry it around until the room is ready, or to "hide" it in my checked luggage. I just take a sealed unopened case and tape a luggage tag onto it, and provide the porter with my usual generous tip. So far it's always been delivered to my room, but I'm aware that RCCL can chose to confiscate it if they want to. The potential savings WAY outweigh the potential loss (and don't you get the water/soda back at the end of the cruise anyway?) so I see nothing wrong with at least trying to take it along. It probably is better if you DON'T hide it in luggage so they can see what it is.

We very rarely drink alcohol so we don't mess with bringing the 2 bottles of wine you're supposed to be allowed, and definitely don't use rum runners.

I admit I'm a little concerned about our upcoming cruise out of Harwich, England. Anybody know where to buy cases of water and Diet Coke in Harwich? :)

Edited by frisbeewife

I am confused as to why you thought it was a good idea. They let your soda go through, right?

The call out may have been because they thought you had booze - not water or soda.

I only had One bottle of coke...maybe it is because I only had one..that is why they let me through. Maybe if I had 6 pack or a 12 pack, the story might be a little different considering that called out for one bottle.

Maybe you are right..they thought it was booze..but I won't take any chances.