Cheapest Alaskan Rate You Have Booked

mouse0217

I was satisfied with our $100 rate... (Not the first or the last cruise of the season... Not on a huge ship that may not have the access of a small ship to some tighter spots. & we get to go into Glacier bay.)

I would have been disappointed with my $59 rate if I did not get to go to Glacier bay or if the weather was even less predictable because of the early or late sailing. (I know Alaska weather is unpredictable 365 days a year & it can snow in July...)

Well we had a few restrictions - like needing a cabin that slept 4 and waiting until school was out so we paid $799 ($114/day) for the week last August. We booked 10 months in advance and before final payment the base price for our cabin was over $1500. So I consider that we paid an excellent price considering the kids were $99 each for the week and we got to see Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm Fjord plus 3 ports and the true inside passage.

I agree with some of the other posters that price is only part of the equation with Alaska. Absolutely it has to be taken into account but I would pay a bit more to ensure we got to see what we wanted to and on a smaller ship as we are not a large ship family - but that is just us. Their is enough choice to suit every lifestyle.

Just depends on what you are willing to pay.

My first cruise with HAL was 7 nights from Seward to Vancouver. Including airfare from LAX/Anchorage and Vancouver/LAX cost us $700 for an Ocean View cabin. We thought that was great!

Our second trip to Alaska I wanted to see the Yukon and Interior Alaska, so the fare went up considerably to $2750 pp for a balcony cabin for 3 nights on the ship and 8 days on land with airfare from LAX to Vancouver/Anchorage back to LAX. Was it a great price? Who knows, it's what I was willing to pay.

Only you can say what a great price is to you. I will say, I don't think you will find the bargain prices for Alaska, that you find for Caribbean cruises.

Thanks for all the replies.

We have been booked for months now. I was just curious. I know we are paying a little more since we were limited to only one week we could go (the fist week of June) and I told everyone we had to go to Glacier Bay. :)

And Mr.Green (John) I was thinking in the same boat (cheap Alaskan cruises!?!).

I was not expecting to read such low rates. That is great for all of those who have been able to book such great rates!!!! I am pretty geen with envy. :D

Thanks for all the replies.

We have been booked for months now. I was just curious. I know we are paying a little more since we were limited to only one week we could go (the fist week of June) and I told everyone we had to go to Glacier Bay. :)

And Mr.Green (John) I was thinking in the same boat (cheap Alaskan cruises!?!).

I was not expecting to read such low rates. That is great for all of those who have been able to book such great rates!!!! I am pretty geen with envy. :D

The rate I put was several years ago. I am beyond myself what the rate is on the cruise I have booked for May and can't believe how high it is! I will need to make a decision if I am going to go or not. I booked it to get the cabin I wanted and thought the price would go down. The price has gone up.

agreed - think there will be an after xmas deal? =) There certainly wasn't one for black friday!

Don't expect anything. The rate drops I have seen are more likely late bookings. Alaska still isn't in the "oversupply" mode it was several years ago. Perhaps, for cost savings, look at taking your group on a cheap Caribbean trip, which would probably cost half the amount.

The cheapest rate I've ever had to Alaska was for a one way out of Vancouver (expensive to get to) on HAL that was very late season and ran at about $50 per person per day double occupancy.

Inside cabin.

As I often use very end of the season cruises that are one way north as transportation to get to Alaska, it suits me fine.

Usually the weather is dark, gray, wet and chilly. That also suits me.

As BQ posted, things have changed in Alaska cruising with the end of the days of having surplus capacity, but I still watch for cheap rates. I use to northbound cruising time to calm down from work and get into the mood for the real Alaska.

My best Alaska cruise fare was May 23-30, 2009 on the Golden Princess out of Seattle @ $532.61 pp (including taxes of almost $100 pp) in the least expensive inside. Cruise lines were greatly discounting cruises in 2009 because the economy was in the toilet.

• 1 month later...

Is July the most expensive time to do an Alaska cruise?

Looking at the 2012 prices and the 2013 ones that are out, it does seem that way which is a real shame as, during the Alaska cruise season, the only school holiday our children get is 2 weeks in July. After have a fantastic time cruising on Freedom of the Seas in the Western Caribbean last October, I thought our next cruise might be Alaska (easier to get to Vancouver from New Zealand than to Florida) in July 2013 and naively presumed the prices would be similar. Oh boy, I was very wrong!!

For Princess passengers looking for a rate drop...I booked in Aug 11 for a July '12 cruise. There is a current promotion going on with Princess (on their website). My TA was ableto rebook at the current rate and save me a total of $250 (cruise only-I am doing a DIY land tour). My traveling companions who are booked with a cruise tour, saved anywhere from $600-800 total. So check your cruise ship websites, do the math and ask your TA to rebook if the rate is lower.

Is July the most expensive time to do an Alaska cruise?

Looking at the 2012 prices and the 2013 ones that are out, it does seem that way which is a real shame as, during the Alaska cruise season, the only school holiday our children get is 2 weeks in July. After have a fantastic time cruising on Freedom of the Seas in the Western Caribbean last October, I thought our next cruise might be Alaska (easier to get to Vancouver from New Zealand than to Florida) in July 2013 and naively presumed the prices would be similar. Oh boy, I was very wrong!!

The majority of the time, Alaska is more expensive than the Caribbean due to having fewer ships and less months of cruising there.

Archived