Day trips from Amsterdam?

Aussie Teen

We will be in Amsterdam for a few days before our cruise next August and I was wondering what day trips are worthwhile? Not so much within the city itself but out into the countryside or other towns?

Is a trip to Brugges possible in a day? We are fit and in our fifties and used to independent back packing and travel so longer days would be fine.

What are the sights of the Netherlands that should not be missed?

We will be in Amsterdam for a few days before our cruise next August and I was wondering what day trips are worthwhile? Not so much within the city itself but out into the countryside or other towns?

Is a trip to Brugges possible in a day? We are fit and in our fifties and used to independent back packing and travel so longer days would be fine.

What are the sights of the Netherlands that should not be missed?

Amsterdam to Brugges was about 4 hours - we did this last month. We loved Brugges and were so happy we decided to spend our days there instead of Amsterdam, which we did not care for. There is a Thalys train that shaves off an hour but it was sold out.

If you plan to visit the Anne Frank house, buy your tickets in advance. We did and were very glad as there was a huge line when we arrived and we would never have stayed to visit. We did a canal boat cruise which was nice and showed us more than the center of the city.

Brugges is a great place to go but it is definitely more that a one day trip. We spent four days there last month and could have spent a few more.

We took day trips from Amsterdam to Haarlem and Delft. Plenty of trains going to both locations. Have Euro coins to buy tickets from the ticket machines in the central station. If not, use the ticket counter on the far left side of the station. The counter in front of the main doors is always crowded.

We were in Amsterdam in July post river cruise. We booked a tour with Grayline and went out to Marken and Volendam. It was a a very nice day as we toured a cheese factory, had a boat ride across the former Zuiderzee and just enjoyed the landscape of the area away from Amsterdam. We booked it ahead of time online. Would go back as the town of Volendam is very quaint and charming (especially for shopping).

Just a note that they would not accept our USA credit cards at the central station in Amsterdam. The agent informed us we have to a chip on our card which is standard in Europe but not here. We had to get cash and come back for our tickets; and the lines were long and slow.

We did not have that problem anywhere else we have traveled in Europe over the past eight years and always travel by train.

Plenty to see and do, most of it also easy to reach by public transport.

Check this site for information re public transport:

http://www.9292.nl/en

Outside Amsterdam:

zaanse schans: http://www.zaanseschans.nl/

Indeed the charming small town of Delft incl. a visit to the Delft Blue Pottery:

http://www.royaldelft.com/index.asp?lang=2

The hague incl. a visit to the "Peacepalace: http://www.vredespaleis.nl/default.asp?tl=1

This can be done incl. a stop at the seaside resort Scheveningen and/or Madurodam (Holland in miniature) http://www.madurodam.com/

See part of the history of Zuiderzee in its very interesting outdoor museum:

http://www.zuiderzeemuseum.nl/en/10/home/

Ride an oldfashioned steamtrain:

http://www.museumstoomtram.nl/stoomtram/ENGELS/homeEng.html

Book the package incl. a boattrip over IJsselmeer back.

Just to give you some ideas.....

We took a trip by train to Haarlem and then to The Hague. Haarlem was a lovely little town with a shopping area downtown and a farmers market in the square (on a Saturday). We visited the Ten Boom Museum there which was a home over a watch shop where a Christian family hid Jews during World War II. The Hague had an art museum called Mauritshuis which was nice and the Binnenhof and Ridderzaal was picturesque. There was a lot of walking from the train station to the center of each town, but it was easy walking. Both can be easily seen in a day.

A great day trip from Amsterdam is to the delightful city of Maastricht .

Its 2 hours by train from Amsterdam Central station with an hourly departure schedule each way . Sit in the front carriages of the train as they detach the rear portion of the train en route to Maastricht !!!!

When you get to Maastricht walk out the front of the station straight up the street in front of you and over the broad river . Ask a local to direct you to The Virtjhof (Town Square) in the Old City . Just delightful and surrounded by cafes and restaurants and two stunning churches .

This square is the annual setting each July for the Andre Rieu Concerts that are broadcast live around the World .

As teenagers if you have not heard of Andre Rieu then ask your parents !!!

I highly recommend a visit to The Hague. The Mauritshuis museum is a real gem that most people don't know. One of Vermeer's great paintings "Girl with a Pearl Earring" is there and you can get very close. The collection of Northern European art is outstanding and, thankfully, it is far less crowded than the Amsterdam museums.

Dear Kuldalai it is a long time since I was a teenager - Teen is just a shortening of my name and it's a small world as I am from Geelong too! Maastricht is a choice on our cruise - it or Floriade. I was leaning towards it as we have been to the Canberra Floriade several times when visiting family there. You have helped me make up my mind. Thank you.

And I have heard of Andre Rieu- not my cup of tea but I do remember the Square from watching some of his performances with friends.

Is there a Travel Card like the London Oyster Card or Myki for Amsterdam? That would be useful I think.

Do most places in Europe take American Express?

During our Holiday in September we found that only around 1 in 3 establishments took Amex in Paris and about half of them in Rome. Along the Rhine/Danube it was also about fifty fifty in the towns. Apparently Amex's high fees are driving establishments away from accepting them. We were very glad that we also carry Mastercard and Visa which got most of the business.

Archived