Who has used Carnivals Vacation Guarantee?

carolinacowgirl

Looking for experiences of anyone who has used or knew someone that has invoked the Vacation Guarantee? I dont plan on using it but was just curious!

CARNIVAL'S VACATION GUARANTEESM We're so confident you'll enjoy your Carnival cruise vacation, we guarantee it. Carnival is the only cruise line to offer the Vacation Guarantee*. Simply book your cruise vacation and sail away on a "Fun Ship." If you are not completely satisfied with your cruise vacation experience, all you need to do is notify us before arrival at the first port of call and you must debark at your ship's first non-U.S. port of call. Carnival will refund the unused portion of your cruise fare and pay your flight back.*VACATION GUARANTEE VALID ONLY IF GUEST ADVISES SHIP’S INFORMATION DESK OF ELECTION TO DEBARK AND RECEIVE PRO-RATA REFUND BEFORE THE SHIP’S ARRIVAL AT THE FIRST NON-U.S. PORT OF CALL. Refund amount will be calculated by multiplying (x) amount of cruise fare paid by guest by (y) number of unused cruise nights, divided by (z) total number of cruise nights of guest’s voyage. Refund will include the amount of an Economy fare airline ticket from port of debarkation to port of embarkation. To receive refund, guest must send copy of purchased airline ticket to the Refunds department. Refund checks will be mailed within 30 days of cruise termination. Guests paying by credit card will have the money refunded to the same card. Carnival will not be responsible for any incidental expenses of guests following debarkation. Other limitations apply. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED AND NOT APPLICABLE ON ALASKA, EUROPE, HAWAII, PANAMA CANAL, SOUTH AMERICA ITINERARIES AND CRUISES-TO-NOWHERE. The number of cruise days before arrival at first non-U.S. port of call varies by itinerary. See any travel agent for more information. Vacation Guarantee applies to cruise departures through and including December 14, 2012. Applies to U.S. and Canadian residents only. Due to a U.S. Government requirement, guests must be in possession of a valid passport to return to the U.S. by air from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, The Bahamas and Bermuda. This guarantee does not apply to Panama Canal and South America cruises, as well as Alaska, Europe and Hawaii cruises.

Someone threatened tdo use it recently due to problems of a very hot cabin and than they took care of his problem.

Well, I guess if there are any issues, try to resolve them BEFORE arriving at port, that way you can use the vacation guarantee as leverage. It would have to be a serious issue for me to actually invoke it though.

Well, I guess if there are any issues, try to resolve them BEFORE arriving at port, that way you can use the vacation guarantee as leverage. It would have to be a serious issue for me to actually invoke it though.

We have been very fortunate and never had any serious issues on any cruise.

We have been very fortunate and never had any serious issues on any cruise.

Same here. 17 cruises with Carnival and never had an issue. I even wonder at people's issues with service in MD as we have always had great sevice but we are very relaxed and not in a hurry and I have noticed that most complaints are about slow service. Two hours for dinner is normal for us as we like to have a few glasses of wine before main course so our waiter always knows they can take their time with our table.

Pat

Cheaper and easier way to get to. Nassau and get my compt room at Atlantis Maybe? All I need to do is order that room service grill cheese :) and claim I want my room at 68!!!

it is a good questions and one cruise I would of used it!!!

I was on a Celebrity cruise and there was an issue with one of the engines. We had to skip our last port in the Bahamas and head straight back to Florida. They put a letter in each one of the cabins explaining the situation. A little bit later, I was walking through the main lobby and there was a woman just screaming 'You better get me a f***ing helicopter' over and over again. From what I was able to find out, she had been scheduled to get married during the stop in the Bahamas. She has a bunch of family and friends already there waiting for her and her fiancee and of course, everything was already paid for.

Bet they wish they bought insurance!!!!!

I was on a Celebrity cruise and there was an issue with one of the engines. We had to skip our last port in the Bahamas and head straight back to Florida. They put a letter in each one of the cabins explaining the situation. A little bit later, I was walking through the main lobby and there was a woman just screaming 'You better get me a f***ing helicopter' over and over again. From what I was able to find out, she had been scheduled to get married during the stop in the Bahamas. She has a bunch of family and friends already there waiting for her and her fiancee and of course, everything was already paid for.

Bet they wish they bought insurance!!!!!

Same thing happened on our Glory cruise in '05. We had engine problems and skipped St Thomas and St Martin. Couples thinking they were going to get married in St Thomas ended up getting married in Freeport.

Destination weddings are great, just don't cruise there.

Someone threatened tdo use it recently due to problems of a very hot cabin and than they took care of his problem.

a person would need a passport to do this.

Many cruisers still use birth certificates to cruise and would not be able to utilize the airport from a non-us port

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1530588

Here is the thread where the OP started to invoke the vacation guarantee.

As posted in order for someone to do this they better have a passport.

I often question the 'negative' whiner reviews as to why they stayed on the ship when all they had to do was say I want off before the first port.

It makes no sense to me when I read blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda and they still stayed put.

It's there for the using and it does not cost you anything extra.

a person would need a passport to do this.

Many cruisers still use birth certificates to cruise and would not be able to utilize the airport from a non-us port

better make sure you have a credit card with some money on it to get home.

Pretty sure you have to pay and CCL reimburses you if memory serves.

Bill

better make sure you have a credit card with some money on it to get home.

Pretty sure you have to pay and CCL reimburses you if memory serves.

Bill

Yep that's what it says ....

Refund will include the amount of an Economy fare airline ticket from port of debarkation to port of embarkation. To receive refund, guest must send copy of purchased airline ticket to the Refunds department. Refund checks will be mailed within 30 days of cruise termination. Guests paying by credit card will have the money refunded to the same card. Carnival will not be responsible for any incidental expenses of guests following debarkation.

Yes, I was prepared to leave the ship after two sea days upon arrival in St Maarten. It was sad to have to request that, but it was amazing that in minutes they would fix the problem. I suspect the paperwork for the 100% guarantee was more effort than fixing the problem.

If you do that option, be prepared to handle your own travel/expenses and deal with those items. I'm sure they will reimburse at some point--just don't expect to walk off the ship with a credit or cash in hand.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1530588

Here is the thread where the OP started to invoke the vacation guarantee.

As posted in order for someone to do this they better have a passport.

I often question the 'negative' whiner reviews as to why they stayed on the ship when all they had to do was say I want off before the first port.

It makes no sense to me when I read blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda and they still stayed put.

It's there for the using and it does not cost you anything extra.

They got the AC fixed, which was the main issue at the time. Other things surfaced after the first port, so we were stuck. My main concern was going through the hassle of getting back to FLL, dealing with a prorated 100% guarantee (I figured the 100% guarantee was going to cost me $1500 or so) and then dealing with Carnival again to get my $$$ refunded.

In retrospect I should have departed the ship in St Maarten--several lessons learned after that cruise. Anyone considering the 100% guarantee should be prepared as mentioned--passports, money/credit available, travel from an unfamiliar location/airport, lots of questions when flying one way these days from TSA, customs and other countries, and so on. It's good to have that tool available for consumer protection, but it does have some significant strings.

We've had such absolutely brilliant cruises, we've never had to consider that option. Our last cruise, we had a few minor issues that Carnival's maintenance crew brilliantly took care of in a minimal amount of time. We have been very happy with the service we've had, and our cruise(s). It would have to be just a terrible first day or so, for us to ever use that guarantee. I seriously doubt anyone here has used the guarantee.

Here is a photo of people getting off the ship in Ensenada when our Riviera cruise turned into a "southern" California cruise due to a hurricane. Carnival put all those people on buses to go back to California.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2168047870085301487nsFLFj?vhost=travel

Look at the tail end of the line. What do you see?

Now if these folks are getting off the ship, who's going to buy the picture?

Look at the tail end of the line. What do you see?

Now if these folks are getting off the ship, who's going to buy the picture?

Good Eye! I was looking and saw those little black things (after a closer look one is a person, and the other is a golf bag, but I was thinking ninjas;)

Does not include hotel stays- what are the chances of finding a good flight the same day you get off a cruise-

especially if your first port is a small port.

That's a good point. I scoped that out for St Maarten and it was actually quite reasonable for a flight from SXM to FLL. Other islands may not have daily service, and that definitely would be a consideration to stick it out or bail.

Archived