Carnival deal on Today Show Steals and Deals

missdebi

I did too. LOTS of bad reviews. It looks like they're one of those companies trying to sell time shares.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/vacation_tour_and_travel.html

that was my suspicion, as it sounded like one of those "free offers" you pay FEES and taxes on.

They had so many dates you could not book, it was not worth it.

I just called to ask them some questions as it sounded like a fairly good deal for our DD who is a teacher and has to travel in the summer. The man I spoke with was very helpful and told me they have very very limited availability during June, July and August and I shouldn't count on anything being available by the time I could reserve, which is 48 hours after purchase. So, obviosly i didn't purchase the offer.

I just called to ask them some questions as it sounded like a fairly good deal for our DD who is a teacher and has to travel in the summer. The man I spoke with was very helpful and told me they have very very limited availability during June, July and August and I shouldn't count on anything being available by the time I could reserve, which is 48 hours after purchase. So, obviosly i didn't purchase the offer.

You know...being valid for 18 mos, it seems to have a lot of flexibility. Can she travel during school breaks, in-training days, etc

I'm wondering how long this will be valid for purchase...still thinking:) Also wondering if you'd be able to use a stockholder benefit OBC or FCC?

You know...being valid for 18 mos, it seems to have a lot of flexibility. Can she travel during school breaks, in-training days, etc

I'm wondering how long this will be valid for purchase...still thinking:) Also wondering if you'd be able to use a stockholder benefit OBC or FCC?

How can you use a FCC on something you pay 100% of upfront.

As above, Ive used a company like this and they gave me the very last inside cabin on the bottom deck, yes, a 4A, but one usually for storage, broken tv, and noise .. man it was noisy. Just daring me to pay to upgrade to a better cabin at full price.

They also had rules, like you cant book within 2 weeks of any holiday .. which lets out teachers, as above, even the company states, probably cant get anything in the summer. (Id take that as a for sure no). the availability was so limited, and they tried to make me go out of Miami. I did finally go out of NOLA, but I can tell you I fought for it.

I would not sign up for some unknown hotel somewhere in NOLA and 4 days of a cruise, with very very limitied availbility again. Once was too much.

• 1 month later...

I bought the package because I though it was a good deal. A four day cruise plus 2 nights hotel stay before and/or after the cruise. Four ports to choose from and a year to research and book your cruise; not bad! Mom's turning 80 on Dec. 1, 2012 so, I figured "Happy birthday Mom"! I let her pick the destination & she chose to cruise out of Long Beach so that only one of us would have to fly somewhere. I'll fly home from Chicago after Thanksgiving to visit family & we'll drive south to Long Beach & board Carnival's Inspirtation on Dec. 3rd for the cruise.

I must say, it's been a bit of a hassle trying to book the cruise & hotel because it seems EVERYBODY bought the deal! They we're totally overwhelmed. I really had to stay on top of it by emailing and calling. Not until yesterday did I get a positive response on booking my hotel (Doubletree in Carson, CA) They were so overwhelmed that, they offered refunds!! Yesterday, I was able to request my desired hotel stay dates, via internet link. Waiting to receive hotel confirmation sometime next week.

Above the cost of the initial $549, I had to pay taxes on the hotel stay at $6 per night. So now, the total cost is $561 for a 6 day vacation for two.

• 2 months later...

My DH and I purchased this package deal, along with our neighbors back in December. It was a 4 day cruise leaving from Miami, New Orleans, Port Canaveral or Long Beach plus 2 nights in a hotel for $549. I will be honest and say that I am a rather spoiled Celebrity Cruiser but thought the change of pace might be fun.

Has anyone that purchased this deal tried to book it and if so, what was your experience?

Angela

Im still considering it too. Except I have Magic and Conquest booked next year, and conquest in 2013, plus jewel twice next spring .. might be hard to fit in another NOLA cruise.

Im having fits with the 11/25 NOLA booking, and been pulling out my hair on that one. currently Im paying $164 for the Holiday Inn cruise special at the airport .. cant get parking in french qtr, its some big foot ball game. .. or Id think about trying to make that one into a B2B with the 4 day.

I dont know if I want another NOLA booking to deal with Iv spent so much time this week on the 11/25 conquest booking. (stay123 booked me then cancelled me for HI superdome to start the week)

That is the Bayou Classic, which is SO MANY people I don't even go visit my mom for Thanksgiving any more. I get stuck in traffic going home with all of those people going back home in my direction for my entire ride. It is like hurricane evacuation.

You are going to have a hard time finding a room... The city sells out.

ETA: didn't realize this was an old thread!!!!

So, we also bought this package. Actually, there were five couple of us who purchased it. We decided to do NO and wanted to go between Mardi Gras and Spring Break, but before it got to hot in April. When I called the company, we were told that we could only book one at a time. They advised that there is no way we could all book the same cruise even individually. Once one or two of us booked, they would close that sailing off and the others would not be allowed to book it. Apparently, there was a "no group" waiver on the advertisement (which was not reflected on our confirmation email or anywhere else). This is why once one or two cabins were booked, the cruise was closed--even if they did not know we were travelling together or booking separately. Long story short, got the sales pitch that if we paid for "upgrades" to a longer cruise and upgraded cabins, the agent on the phone could probably get it passed her supervisor and get us booked. Ultimately, we had to pony up an additional $700 per couple to move to window rooms and a five-day cruise. This was the only way we could all cruise together. In viewing rates, they had to utilize the regular cruise rates. We got no benefit of being past cruisers, booking early safer, or any other probation. In the long run, we did not get screwed with this, but were out the same amount for a 5 days and two hotels as we would of been had we booked a 7 day with a balcony somewhere.

We purchased the package as individualss, with hopes to all take the same cruise. If we had it to do all over again--skip the package. We were better off without it.

I have now submitted my FCC certificate to Carnival. They cannot apply the credit until this company contacts them. Carnival has sent me two emails advising me to contact the company--thus far, no response. Hoping that between now and our cruise next March, I can get a response.

I wanted to see if we were the only ones having trouble booking this trip and as it turns out, there are tons of others having the same issue. I took it for granted when I booked that if it was advertised on the Today Show, it must be legit and boy, was I wrong! :mad:

We tried to book our trip for December 6 and our neighbors bought the same package. My husband and I considered upgrading because we are balcony snobs and spend lots of time sitting on our balcony. Our neighbors were considering upgrading to an OV cabin and called to get information about the upgrades. When my neighbor called, she mistakenly gave them our booking code and hers and as a result, we are now flagged as a group and cannot travel together. The agent on the phone gave her information about upgrading for an additional $320 pp and said if we paid for the "upgrade", he could get his supervisor's approval so we could all travel together on the same sailing. Scam, scam, scam.

But wait, it gets worse. I called Vacation Tour and Travel Agency today to tell them that I could not afford to do the upgrade and that's when I got really p'oed because they went back to saying that we were booking as a group and no upgrade = no availability. What a crock of you know what!

This has turned out to be nothing but a MISERABLE experience :mad: and I could go on and on but I just want to warn others that have purchased this package to be very careful when trying to book. At this point, I am going to email NBC and iCoupon.com to try and get my money back because quite frankly, I've had it up to here!

Anyone else have a miserable experience with Vaction Tour and TRavel agency that they'd like to share?

So I am the comment above yours. Totally agree with the way they treated me whenever I tried to talk to them. Also got the same song and dance about the group travel and upgrade as you can see. We opted to pay it as we were already out the money an they told us no way to get refund.

So, called about my FCC which I purchased from Carnival. Agency was so rude I finally hung up. I had submitted FCC on line and received email from Carnival to have the agency contact Carnival with a question. Called the agency and was told they can't process the FCC for me because Carnival is the one who refuses to process. Yada yada yada. Conversation got uglier and uglier and again the blame was all on Carnival. I called Carnival direct and explained it all to them. Carnival tells me that they can't technically talk to me because I have travel agent. In a nutshell however, they cannot honor my FCC because of the way that the agency processed the booking. At best, Carnival will refund my $100 and no onboard credit. In my conversation with Carnival, I expressed my complaints about agency, the way they were representating Carnival, and the offer through Today show, but gained nothing. Carnival's advice was to contact Better Business Bureau. She was very surprised that this was promotion on Today Show. I may contact them as well. I too will NEVER purchase any packages through agency.

Wow~~~some really bad experiences~that really sucks! I also would have thought that if the Today Show was involved it would have been better. We didn't purchase one because I have had bad experiences with vacation certificates that we have "won" at charity auctions! I have purchased some of the other products offered on the "steals and deals" segment and other than it taking forever to get the product I was satisfied. I would definently let the Today Show know so maybe they can intervene on your behalf.

I bought this deal, too. Waited until this week to book as we have season tickets to the Texans and were waiting on the NFL schedule to pick a long weekend to cruise. We wanted to cruise out of NO on Dec. 6 but I was told there are no cabins available for my "promotional rate." I asked for any available 4 day out of NO and I was told there are none. But of course, I can upgrade. I explained that I just paid the IRS and Carnival (going on Magic in July) and I don't want to pay more right now. Just book us in the 4A. (We probably will upgrade later but for now I just wanted booked.) I finally had to hang up, I was so frustrated.

I called back later and asked for more options. Turns out I can go on Carnival Destiny out of Miami on Dec. 6. Two ports, Key West and Cozumel. We decided to book it. Yes, we now will have to buy airfare, but it looks like a fun little cruise.

I asked and was allowed to use the 2 nights hotel in New Orleans at a different time. So, I booked the Doubletree Hilton New Orleans for a weekend in October.

Even though I had some problems, I feel like with a little patience it paid off. Last night I priced the cruise, and the hotel and if I were buying outright it would be $1,008. Since I paid $549 I think I did okay. And now, I have two weekends planned with my husband AND our family cruise on the Magic. I'd call that a good year in travel!

Lulumc, you are one of the lucky ones because I have read so of so many other people's bad experiencest that have bought this promotion. I think our problems stem from the agency's crazy group policy and not wanting to shell out more money for this cruise.

I've sent an email to the Today Show and hope to receive a response soon. At this point, we don't even want to go anymore and woud rather just get our money back and file it under bad experiences.

Anyone else have any comments about this promotion?? I was also considering calling the FTC and reporting the agency for misrepresentation and fraud cause I think that's what it boils down to.

Your thougths?

Lulumc, you are one of the lucky ones because I have read so of so many other people's bad experiencest that have bought this promotion. I think our problems stem from the agency's crazy group policy and not wanting to shell out more money for this cruise.

I've sent an email to the Today Show and hope to receive a response soon. At this point, we don't even want to go anymore and woud rather just get our money back and file it under bad experiences.

Anyone else have any comments about this promotion?? I was also considering calling the FTC and reporting the agency for misrepresentation and fraud cause I think that's what it boils down to.

Your thougths?

I posted my experience earlier in this thread. I was persistent with calls & email and, after almost a month, I successfully booked both our cruise & hotel stay. If you still have a bad taste in you mouth with not being able to get what you want, you should be able to get a refund for this package. I received a general email giving that as an option.

When I find myself getting no where fast, I'll start keeping a record of who I called & who I emailed & their responses. Helps prove my case. It (did) help me in finally getting my reservations with this deal.;)

I don't think they were prepared for the deluge of people who actually bought the deal and that "we" were going to be blowing up their call center to lock in our reservations....all at the same time! I requested a handicap accessible room and got it. Assigned a guaranteed 4D for our Dec. 3rd Inspiration cruise. I think we got a great deal & really looking forward to celebrating Mom's 80th b-day.:cool: Tomorrow's not promised so, live for today.:)

• 1 month later...

We booked our cruise for Feb 2013 New Orleans in January 2012 and had no problems. We had another couple buy it also. The cruise is showing as full paid on Carnival's website.

Now, the hotel is a different story. They only had one hotel to choose from. We called the hotel direct and they told us other people that had bought this special had selected another hotel but that hotel was cancelled and they were sent to them.

We booked the room, paid the tax but have not gotten a confirmation for the room. We did get an email saying it could be as late as 72 hours before the date (we will be on the ship) so now we are waiting and wondering about our room. I called the number on the hotel card and it said to contact them by email which I did but it came back as undeliverable.

The saga continues for us as well with this package. We were recently on the Valor and, after talking with the Carnival representative, purchased the $100 FCC. Called the travel agency for this package ceruise and Carnival both many times. Apparently, our FCC will cannot be used with this package. Travel agent says that it is Carnival's decision and agency can't help it if Carnival won't honor their own certificate. Talked at great length with Carnival rep about our dissatisfaction with the package and our FCC. Carnival claims that FCC cannot be processed because of the way that travel agency "codes" our vacation. Unless agency changes the way our cruise is coded, Carnival cannot process. Of course, agency again points finger at Carnival. Haven't yet booked through the hotel portion as we are waiting for flight schedules for March 2013. Based on the way this has gone and the other posts here, I anticipate again more heartburn.

• 1 month later...
The saga continues for us as well with this package. We were recently on the Valor and, after talking with the Carnival representative, purchased the $100 FCC. Called the travel agency for this package ceruise and Carnival both many times. Apparently, our FCC will cannot be used with this package. Travel agent says that it is Carnival's decision and agency can't help it if Carnival won't honor their own certificate. Talked at great length with Carnival rep about our dissatisfaction with the package and our FCC. Carnival claims that FCC cannot be processed because of the way that travel agency "codes" our vacation. Unless agency changes the way our cruise is coded, Carnival cannot process. Of course, agency again points finger at Carnival. Haven't yet booked through the hotel portion as we are waiting for flight schedules for March 2013. Based on the way this has gone and the other posts here, I anticipate again more heartburn.

I book with a TA and every single one of the cruise in my signature I know the TA cannot use a FCC on them.. thats why my stack of FCCs I bought years ago is not getting used up very fast. I still have several of the 5 year ones if you want to know how far back they go. I bought about 10, but have been booking in a way that the prices are final, no price drops, etc.

If you get a good deal on a cruise like you got with this package deal, its a set price .. and it looked like a good price to me so let the FCC go. They cannot be used on every booking .. there are things that cannot be discussed in much details on CC .. because it would get into TA stuff we cannot discuss on here... I assure you there are things not covered on CC that people think they know everything about how everyone books when they cannot know.

Archived