Comparison between Crystal, Regent and Seabourn

mariners

We have met most of the Seabourn Maitre'ds and all have been wonderful, and never ever looking for a tip, apart, sadly, from the one recently on Quest, who is not really up to the job, described accurately by Digtexas.

Did the SB maitre d' on the Quest look for a tip or was he just "not wonderful?"

We have requested late seating on 9 Crystal cruises, and have been accommodated every time. I don't know where people get this stuff.

Glad to hear you've never had a problem, and with 9 cruises under your belt you probably won't have a problem on Crystal in the future -- but sounds like others have had problems on Crystal and we've had problems on other cruise lines. If Crystal would guarantee me late seating at the time I make a reservation I'd give them a try as I think we'd enjoy everything else on the ship now that they are all-inclusive. They won't guarantee me late seating even if I make the reservation more than a year in advance -- so I'm not going to take my chances. Everyone cruises for different reasons. We are always outside when the ship leaves port in the evening enjoying the views and (hopefully) sunshine. Sometimes we might decide to take a shore excursion in the afternoon. We like having a cocktail or two before dinner. Early dining makes us feel rushed, which is not how we want to feel on vacation.

I spend most of my time at work solving problems. The last thing I want to do on vacation is spend my time convincing the Maitre'd and Hotel Manager to switch me from early to late seating. We've definitely seen people on cruises who seem to look forward to these confrontations; we'd rather talk to the Maitre'd about how good the food and service are rather than complain.

Fortunately there are several other good choices that are have open seating dining (Seabourn, Silversea and Seadream being top of our list). Open seating starting at 7:30 works perfectly for us.

Edited by stan01

If being "factual" is not cool in 2012 then whatever! Maybe in 25 years time when I'll be part of that "club"... I'll be cruising Crystal...until then Seabourn!:rolleyes:

When did you last cruise on a Crystal ship? The maitre d's I'm familiar with are young and very gracious and will always try to accommodate any requests by the passenger to make their cruise more enjoyable, and never with their hand out for a tip.

If Crystal would guarantee me late seating at the time I make a reservation I'd give them a try as I think we'd enjoy everything else on the ship now that they are all-inclusive. They won't guarantee me late seating even if I make the reservation more than a year in advance -- so I'm not going to take my chances.

On every invoice I receive after booking a cruise on Crystal, it is noted that my first choice of Late Seating is confirmed. I always assumed that they were confirming that I'll get late seating, but do you think it means simply an acknowledgment of my request? I've never not gotten late seating.

Glad to hear you've never had a problem, and with 9 cruises under your belt you probably won't have a problem on Crystal in the future -- but sounds like others have had problems on Crystal and we've had problems on other cruise lines. If Crystal would guarantee me late seating at the time I make a reservation I'd give them a try as I think we'd enjoy everything else on the ship now that they are all-inclusive. They won't guarantee me late seating even if I make the reservation more than a year in advance -- so I'm not going to take my chances. Everyone cruises for different reasons. We are always outside when the ship leaves port in the evening enjoying the views and (hopefully) sunshine. Sometimes we might decide to take a shore excursion in the afternoon. We like having a cocktail or two before dinner. Early dining makes us feel rushed, which is not how we want to feel on vacation.

I spend most of my time at work solving problems. The last thing I want to do on vacation is spend my time convincing the Maitre'd and Hotel Manager to switch me from early to late seating. We've definitely seen people on cruises who seem to look forward to these confrontations; we'd rather talk to the Maitre'd about how good the food and service are rather than complain.

Fortunately there are several other good choices that are have open seating dining (Seabourn, Silversea and Seadream being top of our list). Open seating starting at 7:30 works perfectly for us.

With all due respect, I don't even know what you are talking about. We request late seating through our TA, we get late seating. The only time that there was any hassle was in the old days when you had to go see the specialty restaurant maitre d' once you boarded the ship in order to make your reservations for Prego or Silk Road. Now that the online PCPC system has been set up, six months before sailing, or anytime within six months once you have paid, you can make your specialty restaurant reservations online, without even speaking to anyone.

On Seabourn, it is my understanding that you still have to go see one of the attendants in Seabourn Square to get Restaurant2 reservations.

I would never accept early seating, which on many Crystal cruises is more populated than late seating. I also like the idea of open seating offered on Seabourn, however it did not run smoothly when we were on the Quest.

When did you last cruise on a Crystal ship? The maitre d's I'm familiar with are young and very gracious and will always try to accommodate any requests by the passenger to make their cruise more enjoyable, and never with their hand out for a tip.

We have NEVER cruised on Crystal because firstly it's too "stuffy" of a cruiseline IMO and secondly we are in our early fourties and most people that cruise on Crytal thier average age is 60+. Our current cabin stewardess on the Legend came from Crystal Front Desk and confirmed the average age to us. So maybe in 25 years time we will be ready for Crystal if that's what we decide to choose. Until then it's Seabourn for us.

Not to cast aspersions on what you wrote, but our daughter is 44 and travels with us (we are in our 60's) all the time--well, once or twice a year--and she loves being with those of us older than she is. She finds older travelers well educated about life and about traveling. Just so your won't think she is odd, she is from Santa Monica and is as hip as any of the stars who we observe on Montana Street. I think appreciating people of any age is a state of mind as well as a value you gain from your family. Our daughter enjoys the finer things in life--and to her way of thinking, people older than her fall into that category. Just an observation.

BTW, she also pays for her own cabin so we know she's not traveling with us because it's free. Seabourne is her cruise line of choice; Oceania is ours. We sail both.

Did the SB maitre d' on the Quest look for a tip or was he just "not wonderful?"

No maitre'd on Seabourn has ever appeared to be looking for a tip, including the one on the Quest mentioned. I and other people just felt that he was out of his depth, and also lacked the sort of personality needed for a maitre'd.

The only time we have ever been solicited for a tip on an all inclusive line was by a waiter on a Silversea ship.

First, apologies for expressing myself badly re maitre'ds and soliciting for tips.

Second, now that Crystal are going all-inclusive shortly, we have been wondering about trying them. Apart from smaller suites and more passengers, which we are willing to try out, the problem for us is this Anytime Dining. Can someone explain in simple language how it works please? It sounds as if you are not able to just walk into the dining room on any evening when you wish, as on Seabourn or Regent in the main restaurants, but have to make some sort of prior reservation - is this before you even board the ship, or can you do it each day? If prior reservation is required it would be a deal-breaker for us; we like the spontaneity of SB and Regent. Thanks.

First, apologies for expressing myself badly re maitre'ds and soliciting for tips.

Second, now that Crystal are going all-inclusive shortly, we have been wondering about trying them. Apart from smaller suites and more passengers, which we are willing to try out, the problem for us is this Anytime Dining. Can someone explain in simple language how it works please? It sounds as if you are not able to just walk into the dining room on any evening when you wish, as on Seabourn or Regent in the main restaurants, but have to make some sort of prior reservation - is this before you even board the ship, or can you do it each day? If prior reservation is required it would be a deal-breaker for us; we like the spontaneity of SB and Regent. Thanks.

Lincslady,

Here is a link to a discussion of Crystal's new "perfect choice" dining option. We have not utilized it, and frankly, it lacks the flexibility, and easy ability to change dining partners and times as on Seabourn. We have friends who did this on a relatively underpopulated leg of the world cruise, and they were able to speak to the maitre d' at lunch and make flexible reservations each night, but this plan still lacked the spontaneity of just walking in and requesting seating with whatever size party you desire, anytime.

Some have reported that the plan worked for them, but as we like to dine at a larger table, and they don't mix and match you with others, it would not work for us, and would obviously be a deal breaker for lovers of true open dining.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1521725

We request late seating through our TA, we get late seating. The only time that there was any hassle was in the old days when you had to go see the specialty restaurant maitre d' once you boarded the ship in order to make your reservations for Prego or Silk Road. Now that the online PCPC system has been set up, six months before sailing, or anytime within six months once you have paid, you can make your specialty restaurant reservations online, without even speaking to anyone.

On Seabourn, it is my understanding that you still have to go see one of the attendants in Seabourn Square to get Restaurant2 reservations.

I would never accept early seating, which on many Crystal cruises is more populated than late seating. I also like the idea of open seating offered on Seabourn, however it did not run smoothly when we were on the Quest.

I understand, your request has always been granted. I'm asking for a guarantee at the time of booking which I don't think they will do -- although I'll check with my travel agent next time I find a Crystal itinerary I might be interested in. I don't want to buy airline tickets and make arrangements only to find out I have to cancel the trip because my "request" for late seating dining has not been granted. Yes, I would want to cancel the cruise if I didn't get late seating.

Seabourntraveller

You may be 44 but your comments remind me of my 3 year old grand daughter when she sais "I don't like it, Abu" without trying the food.

Insults like calling a Maitre D' that you have never met "an old fart" show no class at all. By the way Remi, the main Symphony Maitre D is a gentleman and is in his late thirties.

I do know Michael and I know the Maitre D' that Danny refer to in the Quest and they have a long way to go to be able to run a dinning room for 400 persons the way Remi and his staff do it.On the two cruises that I did on Seabourn they were trying to figure out how many waiters to send every night to The Colonade, the Pool area or the MDR and took them a long time to get it right. On the present Quest cruise of the Panama Canal the first nights the line to go in the MDR was 15/30 minutes long.

My last point. I noticed no age difference in the passengers of both lines. They are mostly in the 60's. If the Crystal age group was older there would not be any problem getting late seating.

Paco

Seabourntraveller

You may be 44 but your comments remind me of my 3 year old grand daughter when she sais "I don't like it, Abu" without trying the food.

Insults like calling a Maitre D' that you have never met "an old fart" show no class at all. By the way Remi, the main Symphony Maitre D is a gentleman and is in his late thirties.

I do know Michael and I know the Maitre D' that Danny refer to in the Quest and they have a long way to go to be able to run a dinning room for 400 persons the way Remi and his staff do it.On the two cruises that I did on Seabourn they were trying to figure out how many waiters to send every night to The Colonade, the Pool area or the MDR and took them a long time to get it right. On the present Quest cruise of the Panama Canal the first nights the line to go in the MDR was 15/30 minutes long.

My last point. I noticed no age difference in the passengers of both lines. They are mostly in the 60's. If the Crystal age group was older there would not be any problem getting late seating.

Paco

I have NO INTEREST in cruising Crystal anytime soon or in the near future...would you save the "poms poms" and personal attacks for someone else. BTW, is this the Seabourn Board or Crystal?:rolleyes:

FYI, on this Xmas Cruise on the Legend the average age demographic was 57.

pakitin:

In your last post, you say:

"On the present Quest cruise of the Panama Canal the first nights the line to go in the MDR was 15/30 minutes long".

The Quest is not even near the Panama Canal and never has been, so we wonder if you do mean the Quest? We were on its December 9th sailing and, personally, never encountered any lines. Perhaps it was because we enjoyed dining right after they opened.

lincslady, I think that Seabourn or Regent will be a better fit as Crystal could not provide dining whenever you want if the ship is full.

Thanks Mariners, and also Digtexas for the information - I did read the thread and if anything got more confused re Anytime Dining or whatever they call it. I believe that the MDR in Crystal ships can only take about half of the passenger number at one time? If that is so, there is no way they could have genuine dine as and when you want to.

I am already a complete Seabourn fan, and have enjoyed Regent in the past (done enough cruises with them to be Gold members) but now we do prefer to be in ships with fewer passengers - we are fine with up to 450, and now prefer the new ships - Sojourn and Quest so far.

We are all very lucky to have a chance to cruise with any of them! :)

We are all very lucky to have a chance to cruise with any of them! :)

Absolutely right, lincslady. I, too, cannot fully understand Crystal's dining policy and I really like the freedom to decide as evening approaches, what time I should dine and with whom.

Unlike you, my preference is still with Regent, though Seabourn runs a close second.

While I don't know anything about Regent, I have read in this thread 3 things about Crystal that are showstoppers for me in terms of my favorites, the Seabourn large® ships: Crystal has smaller cabins, a few hundred more passengers and regimented dining.

When friends ask if I will return to Cunard's grill class I demur. The value at Seabourn for the gracious service and sophisticated, carefree options is unmatched on larger ships. Why settle for less?

Happy cruising!

Regent: good shipboard standards and very good food.Prime 7 top spot for me.Some very odd revenue management practises which discourage customer loyalty.

Seabourn:New ships "best in class", even better food than Regent in my view.Fine dining restaurant not up to the mark.Smoking policy needs an update.

Silversea :Arrogant management style (If you complain about their failure it's apparently your fault!) but service on board very good.Buffets dismal compared to Regent and Seabourn but restaurant food on a par with Regent's Compass Rose.Some very good itineraries.

Crystal.Never sailed. I am tempted by the food quality but put off by ship size,small cabins and hidden extras.

Next time? Seabourn.

After reading most of replies I was hoping someone could clarify Crystal's dining policies. From what I've read it appears there are two sets of dining slots that are designed around the evening entertainment on the ship. There also is a reservation system that allows you to go outside of those two times. What I'm not clear on is what happens if you don't show up promptly for your dinner reservation? Are you turned away? Are you asked to wait for the next available table?

It seems like the Crystal MDR is very much like Restaurant 2 on the larger SB ships which I found to be like going out to upper scaled land based establishment. You call ahead, let them know what time and how many people, and then show up at the appropriate time. If you're late and/or add/subtract guests then you are at the mercy of availability.

I have to say it was refreshing on the Odyssey to be able to go up to the Observation Bar at 6 pm and see where the night would take you. Maybe the company isn't good and you end up going for dinner at 6:30 with your partner. Maybe you meet up with some friends and have a couple of drinks and head down to the dining room at 7:30 for a table of 4. Or maybe you have a grand ole' time and stay at the observation bar and head down very late for dinner. One time we even waited for the entertainer to finish her set, met up with another of the entertainers and went down to MDR for a table of 6. No problems EVER. Even if you ate late the dining room staff and the kitchen made every effort to get dinner to you quickly so that you still had time to catch the evening entertainment.

Regent: good shipboard standards and very good food.Prime 7 top spot for me.Some very odd revenue management practises which discourage customer loyalty.

Seabourn:New ships "best in class", even better food than Regent in my view.Fine dining restaurant not up to the mark.Smoking policy needs an update.

Silversea :Arrogant management style (If you complain about their failure it's apparently your fault!) but service on board very good.Buffets dismal compared to Regent and Seabourn but restaurant food on a par with Regent's Compass Rose.Some very good itineraries.

Crystal.Never sailed. I am tempted by the food quality but put off by ship size,small cabins and hidden extras.

Next time? Seabourn.

We cruised on Regent Voyager a year ago and I did a fairly long comparison then. In summary:

- Suites on Regent were slightly better than on Seabourn.

- Food on Seabourn is quite a lot better than Regent and I include the speciality restaurants in this.

- Dining venues are better on Seabourn and especially the availability of outside tables.

- Service on Seabourn is much better than Regent.

- Smoking was more of a problem on Voyager than it is on Seabourn.

- Tours on Regent were mainly free which is a considerable advantage over Seabourn for those that like to take them.

- Seabourn gym is better than the Regent Voyager one.

- Regent Voyager walking track is better than the alternative on Seabourn.

I have not sailed with Crystal. However, the ships are too large for our tastes and having set dining times is a showstopper.

I have to say I am bit confused....

All of you saying you would NEVER accept early dining, you must have 8:30 on Crystal or you wouldn't go.

On Seabourn the dining room hours are 7:00 to 9:00. Am I supposed to believe most of you show up at 8:30 and keep the staff up an extra hour after the room closes?

On Crystal you can easily set up a 7:00 or 7:30 reservation, the dining room stays open. I have been on both cruise lines and Crystal has no problems accomodating your dining preferences.

Another big difference no one mentioned is that Seabourn does not provide butlers to anyone. Crystal Penthouses and all Silversea staterooms come with a butler. If you think this isn't a big deal you haven't experienced what a butler can do for you - especially in terms of handling problems like dining reservations. No need to contact the maitre D', just tell your butler what you want.

I have stayed in a Crystal penthouse with a butler and I would prefer that to Seabourn anytime. Granted, the regular staterooms are smaller, and the old-style two seating dinners on Crystal were a drawback, but now tih "perfect Choice Dining" I think Crystal, with its dining room being open from 6:00 to 10:30 has the edge over Seabourn's 7:00 to 9:00 dining hours.

>"entioned is that Seabourn does not provide butlers to anyone. Crystal Penthouses and all Silversea staterooms come with a butler. If you think this isn't a big deal you haven't experienced what a butler can do for you - especially in terms of handling problems like dining reservations."

I am curious as to what else a butler can do to make the cruise more pleasant. Other than troubleshooting for dinner reservations. Obviously, I have learned to cruise without one. Thanks.