FLL Restaurants

Tinkerbellcgy

I will be in FLL on Friday evening for one night pre-cruise on Good Friday. I am a solo female traveller whose flight is scheduled to land at 6:00 p.m. and I will be staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 on SE 17th Street. I suspect that by the time I collect my luggage and book into the hotel, I would be heading out for dinner at about 7:30 p.m. I am very much a beef eater and not so much a seafood eater. I am looking for restaurant possibilities that are not too far from the Pier 66 that fit that bill and that I don't need to take out a mortgage to dine at. I'm thinking along the lines of a burger and a beer as I people watch - nothing fancy at all but not a grungy greasy spoon place either.

I have looked at the web sites/menus for both the Bimini Boatyard and the 15th Street Fisheries. I have now pretty much ruled out the 15th Street Fisheries but the Bimini Boatyard is still very much a possibility.

• Does anyone have any suggestions of what might be a good spot to catch a casual bite to eat that is not that far from the Pier 66?
  • Does anyone have any knowledge of what the cab fare from the Pier 66 to the Bimini Boatyard (or any restaurants they might suggest) would be if that is my chosen dining experience?
  • Is it advisable that reservations be made?

I appreciate any help and/or suggestions that one might be able to assist me in making my decision.

Thanks for the replies. The Bimini is still on the list of considerations and I will now add the sports bar to my list although I'm not into sports of any kind. I can watch the people watching the sports on the big screens. :p

Please keep the suggestions coming. While I won't have a long stay in FLL I would like my short time there to be enjoyable, relaxing and memorable.

You can also catch the water taxi at the Hyatt and go over to 15th Street Fisheries or even up to Las Olas (stops at either end of 9th Ave or at the Riverfront and Briny's Irish Pub) . Las Olas has a number of good restaurants and shops along this section. Nice browsing street. I think the water taxi is only $10 after 5PM.

Yes, if you want to do the water taxi (or take a cab) I forgot the Las Olas Blvd shops and restaurants. Very safe, lit up pretty and full of specialty shops and fun restaurants. It will have more to offer for you than just one restaurant.

See here...http://www.lasolasboulevard.com/

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

The Sun Trolley piqued my interest and I looked into it as an alternative to a taxi. Unfortunately, it stops running at 6:30 p.m. so that is not an option.

I don't know that I want to venture out after dark in a city which is unknown to me on the water taxi up to the areas north of where I am staying. I was thinking along the lines of staying pretty close to SE 17th Street and the Pier 66.

I am aware of Pelican's Landing at the hotel and it is a possibility but I was enquiring to see if anyone had a "must dine at" recommendation before I make a final decision. It may very well be that I'll be too pooped after a long day of travel from Western Canada to venture further afield than Pelican's Landing.

Again, I thank you all for taking the time to offer your suggestions. They are very much appreciated. :)

Within easy cab distance is--

Outback--Behind/ Beside the Embassy Suites

Chuck's Steakhouse-- Across 17th Street from the Embassy Suites

Duffy's-- Behind the Embassy Suites-Good food--Great atmosphere!

Bimini--As previously mentioned above-- we've have had lunch there twice and it was very good.

If you Google or Bing restaurants--17th street--Fort Lauderdale, you'll see others-----there's a few others in addtion to the above.

Hi Tink:) you probably know I always sail solo and have cruisesd out

of Ft. Lauderdale more times than I can count. The Harbour Shops

(where Duffy's is located) is a great spot. Not sure when daylight

savings time goes into effect..if it is light outside you could walk

there if you are so inclined. If it is already dark? A cab is less than

10 bucks.....probably closer to 5 or 6 bucks.

I have eaten at Chuck's and enjoyed it very much. Duffy's was not

there last time I sailed from there but the website looks really good:)

Have a great cruise:D

Hi Lois,

Daylight Savings takes place on March 11th. I will be in FLL on April 6th and I wonder how light/dark would it be in FLL at 7:30 p.m. at that time of year? If it is approaching dusk and it's about a mile walk I could hustle my bustle and get to Duffy's before it's dark. If it's nearly or already dark at that time, I would cab it.

I also looked into the Harbor shops web site and I see where they have a Publix there. I don't drink a lot of pop (or soda to the USians) but I thought I might pick up a case of Canada Dry for the cruise if I go to Duffy's.

We have Outback here in Calgary so I'm looking for something we don't have up here - something that is localized to FLL. I seem to be leaning towards either the Bimini Boatyard or Duffy's but I have 97 days to nail my pre-cruise dining selection down! :D

Thanks everyone for your input.

Liz

Hi Lois,

Daylight Savings takes place on March 11th. I will be in FLL on April 6th and I wonder how light/dark would it be in FLL at 7:30 p.m. at that time of year? If it is approaching dusk and it's about a mile walk I could hustle my bustle and get to Duffy's before it's dark. If it's nearly or already dark at that time, I would cab it.

I also looked into the Harbor shops web site and I see where they have a Publix there. I don't drink a lot of pop (or soda to the USians) but I thought I might pick up a case of Canada Dry for the cruise if I go to Duffy's.

We have Outback here in Calgary so I'm looking for something we don't have up here - something that is localized to FLL. I seem to be leaning towards either the Bimini Boatyard or Duffy's but I have 97 days to nail my pre-cruise dining selection down! :D

Liz

Hi Liz,

I'm going to recommend a favorite of mine, which sounds like it may fit the bill for what you're looking for. It's called LuLu's Bait Shack--it's not gourmet by any means, but it's on the beach, great views, etc. and the atmosphere is fun. Sort of touristy, I'd say. It's located on the second floor of Beach Place, an area with shops, restaurants, etc. and is very safe. There's also a great CVS right below as well.

Take a look at the menu--it's sports bar-ish, but I actually think the food is very good, they have a very nice menu. Have fun and enjoy whatever you decide.

Hi Lois,

Liz

If you are going to Publix which I believe is near that Total Wine shop (I am not an expert on the area, so I may be confused) you might try the Gator sports bar at the end of the same shopping center. Unless of course they are not longer in business. Although my DW and I have walked several times I can see where a single person might not be comfortable walking if it is dark.

If you are going to Publix which I believe is near that Total Wine shop (I am not an expert on the area, so I may be confused) you might try the Gator sports bar at the end of the same shopping center. Unless of course they are not longer in business. Although my DW and I have walked several times I can see where a single person might not be comfortable walking if it is dark.

Grumpy Gators closed a couple of yrs ago. It is now Lauderdale Grill.

Hi Lois,

Liz

It will get dark around 7:30 I think. You said that you are looking for a "must dine at" recommendation. Duffy's isn't a must...I eat there often because it's fast and inexpensive but I wouldn't classify it as a must dine place...it's a big sports bar chain restaurant with good enough food. Must dine places in the 17th St area are Coco Asian, 15th St Fisheries, Market 17, Bimini Boatyard. I have heard that the Grateful Pallate is also very good. The restaurants at your hotel are also very good and the locals like to go there. Las Olas Blvd is a must see and there are dozens of restaurants there where you can sit and watch people walk by, especially on a nice April evening. If you are up for venturing out that would be a great place to go.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. There have now been quite a few suggestions / recommendations that I can ponder and then choose from.

When I said "must dine" I didn't necessarily mean upscale, touristy, pricey or cheap, trendy or any of the like. I was looking for suggestions / recommendations from people who had eaten close to the Pier 66 in FLL and thought it worth recommending to other travellers. For example, there is a local neighbourhood pub / sports bar close to my home that has the best burgers and fries and I consider it a "must dine" for any who come for a visit. The food is yummy and the ambience / atmosphere is conducive to an enjoyable dining experience and people watching. It so far down on the list of the "Best 10 Places to Dine in Calgary" it's probably not on any list but it is well worth the experience nonetheless. As far as I'm concerned, it's a "must dine" on my list.

I now have some suggestions / recommendations from which I can now choose. That was the purpose of this thread and I thank all of for participating. :)

I think this is what you are looking for...The most famous food in that area is the bimini bread at Bimini Boatyard. It's sweet and sticky. I like the Diane Salad and Snapper Viequez there and I often take visitors there for the FL/Island atmosphere. The lamb tacos at Pelican's Landing are really nice too. At Duffy's (a FL chain) the crunchy fish is yummy but the sandwich buns aren't always good, sometimes stale. They have a pretty big selection of food, good salads. Kelly's Landing is a casual New England sports bar that serves up a lot of lobster. I hear that Five Guys Burgers at Harbor Shops is awesome (upmarket fast food) but I haven't been there. La Spada's is the most famous sub place in the area...the sandwich makers throw the meat to each other. Chuck's is a casual steakhouse known for its salad bar, but it's not really a big salad bar, and it's not that great.

We have Five Guys and I know everyone raves about their burgers......

I have eaten there a few different times and it is ok (in my opinion)

nothing to rave about.

And when you order a small fries? Be prepared....it is not SMALL...the

small size is really large and the large?..well, it is GIANT.

I will be in FLL on Friday evening for one night pre-cruise on Good Friday. I am a solo female traveller whose flight is scheduled to land at 6:00 p.m. and I will be staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 on SE 17th Street. I suspect that by the time I collect my luggage and book into the hotel, I would be heading out for dinner at about 7:30 p.m. I am very much a beef eater and not so much a seafood eater. I am looking for restaurant possibilities that are not too far from the Pier 66 that fit that bill and that I don't need to take out a mortgage to dine at. I'm thinking along the lines of a burger and a beer as I people watch - nothing fancy at all but not a grungy greasy spoon place either.

I have looked at the web sites/menus for both the Bimini Boatyard and the 15th Street Fisheries. I have now pretty much ruled out the 15th Street Fisheries but the Bimini Boatyard is still very much a possibility.

• Does anyone have any suggestions of what might be a good spot to catch a casual bite to eat that is not that far from the Pier 66?
  • Does anyone have any knowledge of what the cab fare from the Pier 66 to the Bimini Boatyard (or any restaurants they might suggest) would be if that is my chosen dining experience?
  • Is it advisable that reservations be made?

I appreciate any help and/or suggestions that one might be able to assist me in making my decision.

I usually stay at the Hilton Marina - which is just across the bridge from the Hyatt 66. It is safe to walk and Bimini is walkable, but as another poster mentioned, a fairly cheap cab ride if you didn't want to cross over the bridge and then walk approx. 3 blocks after that.

An Italian place just across from Bimini is called Bravo. It also might fit what you're looking for.

http://www.bravoitaliano.com/

The water taxi is great and is safe, however if you miss one it's a long wait until the next one going in the direction you want comes by.

Also, right at the corner pretty much where you'll turn for Bimini (if that's your choice) is a place called Einstein's --- great breakfast bagels!

There's a Walgreen's across the street from that.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for all the suggestions / recommendations. They have given me plenty to choose from.

I see where my question has aided another poster too so it seems that this thread has been helpful to more cruisers than just me. Hopefully, it might be of benefit to others who read it as well. :)

Coco is FABULOUS:D I ate there a few years ago and it was soooooo

good:)

In my opinion, Bimini is overrated....just my own view.

I have eaten at Bravo's and highly recommend them too:)

Archived