Best spot in Main Dining room

mrsfanci

Assuming dining rooms are laid out in a similar fashion on the Celebrity ships, and as someone brand new to cruising, I'd like to hear comments from experienced cruises too.

The pictures show a vast dining room over two levels, and I've read posts that say you don't feel crowded, so is there a 'better' spot? I know the definition of 'better' depends on the person, but the preferences of well-cruised folks would be interesting to hear. Thanks icon_smile.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;07;23;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until Summit 23 July 2004

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

We have had tables both on upper and lower levels. In a way we like the lower level but for no good reason.

All the tables are not close together and side tables do sometimes give you a window. In a way the lower room and close to the captains table may - may give you better service as I think the better service is close to the Captain's table.

In any way the people who set with you at the table really make the table good or bad. If you don't have a good table move. I have only had one "Bad" table - my wife and I ended up at a table where I was the only man at the table of 10. So we ask to be moved to a table at had couples

Ray

91 days at sea w/4 lines in 6 years. Celebrity is the best for us!

Future Bookings -

-MERCURY 5/17/04 Alaska 12day

-Constellation 9/7/04 Transatlantic Westbound

-Infinity 1/31/05 South America-Rio Carnival

The best table I've ever had on a cruise was on the Horizon. We were seated at a round table for 6 (our preference) and right in front of the musicians. It helped that the service was outstanding and our table mates were a lot of fun! I kept wondering, how did we get the best seat in the house? For me the least fun was a table for 10 - 8 of them were women, three of them seldom showed up, one couldn't speak English, and another was too timid to speak.

My wife and I always get a table for two! We're not antisocial, just love the time together. On the M-class ships, we always ask for upstairs on the railing. Great views, and lots of room! Zenith/Horizon--near the entry, on the railing. Galaxy/Century/Mercury--downstairs, in the booth areas. Enjoy! Kel

We enjoy the lower level in the center or nearer to the foot of the main stairway. The high ceiling has a nice feeling of spaciousness (sp?), although the tabletalk and musicians can be loud at times.

On the Century class ships we have enjoyed tables on the lower level by the windows. Since the Rendezvouz lounge for pre-dinner drinks was our preference on these ships, we were already on that floor! On the M class ships we have preferred the upper level only because we prefer the Martini or Champagne bar areas over the Rendezvous for before dinner meeting! They are both on the upper level floor of the dining room.

No rhyme or reason, but that's what we do!

Rosie

E-mail me <a href="mailto:JNLROSE@AOL.COM">here</a href>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;26;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

CELEBRITY MERCURY HERE I COME!!!

I have been upstairs and downstairs....

Had to be downstairs on the Mercuryicon_smile.gif best table in the house...Phil and Marti were my tablemates icon_biggrin.gif

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Our first cruise on the Constellation we had a large table of 8 near the aft windows on the upper floor -- great location for views, conversation, etc. Service (as always on Celebrity) was impeccable. Last Cruise on Millennium we had a table of 10 on the lower floor, towards the Starboard side. A little noisier, but fun to descend from the grand staircase (a la Kate Winslet) after our obligatory pre-dinner martini(s). Only areas I think would be undesirable are the tables flanking the entrance to the dining room on the lower floor.

But heck, if you're dining on a ship then there are no dishes, no cooking, no cleanup and no guilt (allowed, that is) for eating two or three desserts!! icon_biggrin.gif

On our last cruise we were very near the Captains table. The advantage: the waiter and assistant waiter were the best on the ship since they also did the captains table when it was occupied (which really wasn't that often).

And hey, we might have spotted Regis icon_wink.gif. Thats our final answer.

George & MaryBeth

We had a table for two at a window on the upper floor of the Summit. It was nice and quiet and seemed private compared to downstairs, where we dined with the Captain one night.

Although dining with the Captain was of course a great experience, I found that part of the ship to be very noisy; not only due to the large number of people seated in the area, but also engine noise.

Anyway, I didn't care ... had a great time! And like someone else says, I believe your table mates are probably more important than location!

I do know that we spoke with a number of people who'd asked to change tables at the beginning of the cruise, so that option is always available if you're not happy with where and/or whom you've been seated with.

Marie

Celebrity Summit 04/2004

Norweigan Dream 04/2000

Celebrity Mercury 04/1999

mrsfanci

Both times we have been on the lower deck. First time we were at a table of eight just in front of the Captain's table (a nice airy feeling with the high ceiling above) and last year on a table of ten right at the back just next to it. Great views of the ships wake.

We were on the C-Class ships. I am not sure which ship you are on, but we did find a lot of vibration just in front of the Captains table the first year, especially the last night when we were going slowly from Key West to Miami. The hilarity at our table drowned out most of the noise though icon_wink.gif

If you find yourself on a table of people you get on with and have some nice food, that is the best place you can be! icon_smile.gif

Phil

Mercury Western Caribbean November 2002

Galaxy Eastern Caribbean November 2003

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;13;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600 <BR

Until Galaxy Panama Canal Out Of Galveston

13th November 2004

<center>

time98.gif</center>

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

quoted by Phil

---------------------------------------------

"If you find yourself on a table of people you get on with and have some nice food, that is the best place you can be!"

---------------------------------------------

Hi Phil icon_biggrin.gif...I totally agree!!!

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

On our first cruise ever was aboard the Millie in 2001. We had a table downstairs near the starboard entry UNDER the grand staircase. We could see a few tables but nothing else- not even the beautiful ceiling. Mostly all we could see was the swinging door leading to the kitchen. Waiters were flying in and out brushing all of our chairs.

Thank goodness for this message board or I would not have known that we could ask for a switch.That very night we spoke to the maitre' d and he was able to change our table.

Actually, it turned out quite well because we had a different table every night. The best table was on the second floor by the railing. You can see everything.

On our next cruise I will definetely go to the dining room to check out our table before the first dinner!

Gail

Wow - thank you for your replies. I have a much better idea now. I figured that we would see where we ended up and who we were with (we are at a 'large' table, and ask for a change if we weren't happy. Must admit the idea of a table for 2 appeals to me, but we (me, husband and daughter) agreed it was part of the experience to meet people. But, husband has a hard time dealing with even a whiff of smoke, so the advice about avoiding tables where that might an issue is important - thanks shaco.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;07;23;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until Summit 23 July 2004

<center>

time98.gif</center>

On the Century we were upstairs by the railing on the port side. We were near the music but not too close. We thought it was a perfect location. As has been said, we had great tablemates so that was a big part of the experince.

Zenith from Jacksonville

Feb. 13 05

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLYS. i WAS THINKING i'D LIKE the 1st floor where the ceiling is two stories. We have a family of 8 so won't be with others. It sounds like there are other good options.

Hey,

I have found that sitting with quiet people is more important than the specific location in the dining room. I am a bit hard of hearing. If people are talking when I am trying to use my cellphone, it really makes things tough for me. If they are quiet people to begin with, a simple "Ssshhh" will normally quiet everyone down enough so you can hear. If they start trying to speak up to order dinner, a simple "Hush up for a few minutes!" normally takes care of things.

Your table mates are also nice people to meet while looking for a place at the pool. If you find some of these timid types at the pool near empty lounge chairs, simply dump your stuff on the empty chairs and yell, "Hey, save these for us." You are then free to go to the afternoon movie or art auction and be sure of having a pool chair when you return.

When I have time, I am going to write a book on cruise etiquette.

Les icon_wink.gif

Just a thought to throw out there on this topic. On one of my cruises I spoke to one of the waiters who stated the best waiters on board are located near the doors to the kitchen. This is done as an incentive to the waiters based upon their weekly reviews. Those who are good don't have to carry their trays long distances. Makes sense but just somthing to ponder.

Don

Don,

I think that waiter was putting you on. The Captain's table is about as far from the kitchen as you can get. Most experienced cruisers prefer not sitting too close to the kitchen doors because every other waiter is running past your table all evening.

I agree that your dinner companions are probably the most important thing.

Archived