"ND" after Noordam

GatorV

Just a quickie I am sure, and I can often figure these things out on my own but maybe my cold is making me foggy...looking at my mariner status, the Noordam that we sailed on in 1998, has "ND" after the name. what does this mean?

I think it's because it is not the "current" Noordam. In my list, my 2000 cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam has "NA" after it and my 1993 cruise on the Westerdam has "WD" after it. Both are not the current ships. Not sure what the specific abbreviations actually stand for, though.

I think it's because it is not the "current" Noordam. In my list, my 2000 cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam has "NA" after it and my 1993 cruise on the Westerdam has "WD" after it. Both are not the current ships. Not sure what the specific abbreviations actually stand for, though.

I think you are correct, my list shows "WD" behind the Westerdam from 1994, and "NM" for the Nieuw A from 1999.

I don't really know, just guessing...probably I'm wrong as why would that really make any difference on Mariner status......:confused:
If it was true, why wouldn't it be on any of the 13 cruises in my Status?

I believe the suffix indicates the current nation of registration for the vessel--ND perhaps for The Netherlands, and NA for Netherland Antilles??

No, I don't think so.

ALL HAL ships are registered to Netherlands.

Noordam III is no longer in the fleet and doesn't sail for them anymore. Same for 'old' Westerdam.

I'm reasonably sure the explanation is that though there are ships by those names in the fleet today, the ships sailed that have the special designation are not the current Noordam/Westerdam.

I'd be interested for someone who sailed the previous Prinsendam to see if they have that designation next to the 'old' Prinsendam...... same for Rotterdam V. There are ships of that name still in the fleet but not the same ships as the 'old' ones I'm referencing.

We have sailed about 73 HAL cruises and the only one with the "ND" designation on my list is for 'old' Noordam.

Clearly it means that the ship is not the current one but not clear why it is RO vs. RD or RA.
I wonder why they don't just use the Roman numerals.

Also, if ND is Noordam III and WD is Westerdam II, what are Noordam II and Westerdam I?

See what you've started GatorV? :D :D

I wonder why they don't just use the Roman numerals.

Also, if ND is Noordam III and WD is Westerdam II, what are Noordam II and Westerdam I?

See what you've started GatorV? :D :D

It's not likely there are many Mariners alive today who sailed Westerdam II and/or Noordam II. :D

I would imagine that we're just seeing an abbreviation. ND for Noordam is the "n" in "Noor" and the "d" in "dam". In the US Army we don't typically use Headquarters Department of the Army when talking about the Pentagon but instead use HQDA. In the Army we all know what it means and it's a lot quicker to say or type than the full name. Once company agrees to the abbreviation it's a lot easier to potentially refer to the Ryndam as RD or the Statendam as SD and so on.

Yeah, but that's beside the point that I was trying to make: why not just use the Roman Numerals?

I get your point. :)

There are often more ways than one to do the same thing..... they chose a different way than using

Roman Numerals. :shrug:

I think Randy's comments make sense and probably apply here.

I found a couple of interesting tidbits on my cruise history sheet. Yes the old Noordam has a suffix of ND, the Nieuw Amsterdam is NM and the Westerdam is WD, but also the destinations on several of those, lists the cruise itinerary as "Caribbean, Orinoco River"???? I know where the Orinoco river is, and I can tell you I've not been there one time, let alone three. It's no big deal, HAL got the number of days right, and they also provided me with some great memories!;)

Just a quickie I am sure, and I can often figure these things out on my own but maybe my cold is making me foggy...looking at my mariner status, the Noordam that we sailed on in 1998, has "ND" after the name. what does this mean?

It sure does not mean Notre Dame. Since you sailed the Noordam in 1998 this would be the old Noordam that carried 1214 Passengers. Perhaps it refers to that ship that is not longer on line. I think Copper 10-8 would be the one who would know this.

Archived