Why don't Cruise lines allow bringing on alcohol.

miched

P&O allows alcohol to be brought on board, and sells spirits in cabins at duty free rates.....but there is a clause in their brochures to suggest that this can be stopped. I believe it was stopped for a while on one ship which became notorious for some drunken incidents on her first Christmas cruise.:eek:

Jo.

• 2 years later...

Its pretty obvious that its profit, especially on the cheaper lines.

Heres my own personal example with the same ship:

Cruise 1 on Carnival Legend (12 day Baltics)

For whatever reason, you were allowed/not checked when boarding after ports so hubby and I boarded with bottles of Vodka from Russia, Beers for Amsterdam and Germany, wine and various other spirits.

My sign and sail was £150 on a 12 day cruise (Didnt really buy much else apart from drinks).

Cruise 2 also on the Carnival Legend (13 day Panama Canal)

Strict scanning at embarkation and after visiting ports (had some rum taken off me from Cayman). Bought more drinks from bars as a result.

My sign and sail was £330 and thats even with OBC after FTTF refund and 8 free drinks vouchers. (Again just bought drinks mostly)

Not to mention that 2 of the most popular british lines (P+O and Thomson) allow you to bring as much as you like and they dont make extra profit on bar sales by adding large service charges.

Carnival Aus also raise their profits (they loose a lot by including tips in their prices) by having no bring on alcohol before you board and no scheme to allow you buy liquor for your cabin.

I had no problem bringing alcohol (vodka) on a Royal Caribbean cruise two months ago.

WOW! I saw this thread pop up on the active list and thought to myself how the heck did I miss that one! Then I see it is from 2012!! GOOD FIND Wrangler1.:D

So to answer the OPs question.

$

;);););)

It took me a while to realize this was an old thread, but the answer CAN'T be money (from sales).

If it was money, then they would be strict about no soda and no water. I'm sure they make a pretty hefty profit on those items too.

I agree it's got to be about "control"... allowing a bartender to decide if someone has had too much to drink. As far as going to another bar, if someone is staggering around, slurring their words, etc, it doesn't matter if they go to a new bartender or not, they shouldn't be served.

The cruise lines won't let passengers bring alcohol on board but passengers can bring on bottled water and soft drinks. This is discrimination. They sell all of it on board and apparently to make a profit. If it is about revenue than look at what they are losing.

Why should it be any different? People bring their own soda and water because they dont want to pay $3 for that on board.

I dont like payin $5 for beer either but I can't briing it on board. :confused:

all lines allow you to bring on 2 bottles of wine. only Disney officially permits soda and bottled water.

why should ANY business let you bring for yourself what they already provide, at a profit to them? it is no different than any sports stadium saying you cannot bring in your own beer, or any movie theater saying you can't bring you own popcorn.

it s NOT discrimination. it is smart business practice.

all lines allow you to bring on 2 bottles of wine. only Disney officially permits soda and bottled water.

why should ANY business let you bring for yourself what they already provide, at a profit to them? it is no different than any sports stadium saying you cannot bring in your own beer, or any movie theater saying you can't bring you own popcorn.

it s NOT discrimination. it is smart business practice.

:confused: The post to which you are responding is almost exactly 3 years old. He probably has moved on to other issues by now. ;)

This OLD thread popping up again is an excellent example of why the CC needs to follow the practice of (parent company) TripAdvisor and lock threads that haven't had any activity in a few months. The threads are still available to be searched, but a fresh thread has to be started for further discussion.

I don't agree any thread should be locked because of lack of activity. I don't recall ever reading it three years ago and the posts by Bruce Muzz were (are) worth the read, IMO. Seeing some cruise lines (HAL) have changed their wine policy in this time period, I find the thread pertinent. At the time this thread was active, HAL permitted unlimited wine to be brought aboard with no corkage fee unless consumed outside one's cabin. That has changed.

The cruise lines won't let passengers bring alcohol on board but passengers can bring on bottled water and soft drinks. This is discrimination. They sell all of it on board and apparently to make a profit. If it is about revenue than look at what they are losing.

Why should it be any different? People bring their own soda and water because they dont want to pay $3 for that on board.

I dont like payin $5 for beer either but I can't briing it on board. :confused:

They own the ships so they set the rules. If you wish, you could punish them by refusing to cruise but that would not accomplish anything.

DON

I don't agree any thread should be locked because of lack of activity. I don't recall ever reading it three years ago and the posts by Bruce Muzz were (are) worth the read, IMO. Seeing some cruise lines (HAL) have changed their wine policy in this time period, I find the thread pertinent. At the time this thread was active, HAL permitted unlimited wine to be brought aboard with no corkage fee unless consumed outside one's cabin. That has changed.[/b]

I agree that no thread should be closed. But, it would be nice if there was some indicator, such as a different colored background, for threads that have not been active for several months.

As to information being pertinent, that varies depending on the topic. If someone reads a three year old thread on smoking policies, they will be reading obsolete and no longer pertinent information. Almost all cruise lines have tightened their policies in the last few years and an old thread will provide inaccurate information, making the bulk of the thread useless.

Edited by fortinweb