Higher base fare for better cruise experience?

nycmode

Would you pay more for a better overall experience? If so, how much?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay more for a better overall experience? If so, how much?

• I'd pay 10% or more, if need be.
    • I'd pay 7% to 10% more
    • I'd pay 3% to 7% more
    • I'd pay only less than 3% more
    • I wouldn't pay more because I am satisfied with the quality I get now
    • I wouldn't pay more because I don't want to subsidize something I don't care about and/or need

I think the improvements most people want are available on other cruiselines; however, the price difference between those lines and Celebrity is more than most of us want to pay.

Doing a quick comparison of similar itineraries on a 10 day Med cruise in October, these are the prices per person per day for the cheapest balcony:

Celebrity $219

Azamara $369

Seabourn $599

Regent $639

Azamara includes all non-alcoholic drinks, wine with lunch and dinner, and perhaps better main dining room food. The cabins are actually not as nice as Celebrity's S-class cabins. Azamara provides great service, but when comparing costs, for the extra $150 per day, I can have a lot of perks on Celebrity.

Seabourn and Regent have more inclusions and nicer cabins but for their prices, I could have a whale of a time on Celebrity, probably in a suite. I don't doubt that the service and food on those lines is great, but it's just not worth the extra money to me.

The Celebrity experience is very enjoyable for me, and if at some point, I feel the main dining room doesn't provide me with good enough food, I can eat in the specialty restaurants every night.

Considering that you can occasionally get Celebrity cruises for less than $100 a night per person for a balcony cabin, I think we really don't have much to complain about. That's less than I paid 25 years ago for an inside cabin shared with 3 other girls on Carnival.

well I suggest that posters here who want to pay more for a more upscale product, then switch to Azamara. Better food, included wine, free upgraded coffee, expresso , fresh squeezed OJ! etc. but entertainment probably not as good - ships not as glitzy but many fewer passengers - so in some ways the higher priced product is already available.

I have many reasons for this but I would pay more than 10% and will be doing so on our next cruise.

10% of what for example? In November we were in AQ on the Silhouette and felt the overall experience was not near as good as the AQ on the Solstice in June of 2011. Maybe we expect too much from X today so we are going to switch for our next cruise to see what happens.

You asked an interesting question. Thanks.

well I suggest that posters here who want to pay more for a more upscale product, then switch to Azamara. Better food, included wine, free upgraded coffee, expresso , fresh squeezed OJ! etc. but entertainment probably not as good - ships not as glitzy but many fewer passengers - so in some ways the higher priced product is already available.

I agree. This seems like such an easy solution. Unfortunately, people aren't willing to change their choice of cruise line to suit their needs - they want the cruise line to change for them. Not unlike people who buy a house with an rail line behind their fence, and then want the railroad to cease operating because it's too noisy. If they wanted quiet, they should have bought a house away from the railroad tracks. Same with cruising - if you want a higher level of service, better food, etc, etc, etc, then find the cruise line that satisfies your wants and avoid those that don't.

I can hear the complainers now - "I sail with Celebrity for the itinerary", "Their port is close to home", and dozens more valid reasons. Fine! Then be satisfied your reasons and acknowledge that your decision is based on other wants and needs that are more important and accept that not all cruise lines will be perfect in every way. Decide what is important, make your decision, and don't complain about what isn't to your liking.

I agree. This seems like such an easy solution. Unfortunately, people aren't willing to change their choice of cruise line to suit their needs - they want the cruise line to change for them. Not unlike people who buy a house with an rail line behind their fence, and then want the railroad to cease operating because it's too noisy. If they wanted quiet, they should have bought a house away from the railroad tracks. Same with cruising - if you want a higher level of service, better food, etc, etc, etc, then find the cruise line that satisfies your wants and avoid those that don't.

I can hear the complainers now - "I sail with Celebrity for the itinerary", "Their port is close to home", and dozens more valid reasons. Fine! Then be satisfied your reasons and acknowledge that your decision is based on other wants and needs that are more important and accept that not all cruise lines will be perfect in every way. Decide what is important, make your decision, and don't complain about what isn't to your liking.

You are getting carried away. Most people are just saying they want a little better food in the MDR like it used to be and they would pay $5 to $10 per day extra. They are not asking for Regent, Seabourn, Silverseas, etc. No one is expecting perfection.

I agree with this statement 100%. But if you want more, you can pay for it:

Better food: Specialty Restaurant

More drinks: Buy a drink package

More attentive service: Get a suite

BILL

I agree totally with your comment on drinks. I do not want to pay for anyone else's alcohol. However your other two comments are a little over the top.

Eat in a specialty restaurant every night for 2 persons - $80 per night or $560 for a 7 day cruise and $960 for a 12 day cruise. I think we are talking here about maybe another $5 per day for a little better food in the MDR.

Stay in a suite. Typical balcony around $3200 for a 12 day cruise. Typcial suite around $7000 for a 12 day cruise. Junior suites are not really suites. Extra $3800 for better stateroom service. A little much I would think. I could bring my own butler with me and put him in an inside cabin for that price.

Actually, The DW and I eat every night in a specialty restaurant and have done so for the last 5 years.:eek: Yes, it is more than many people care to spend for food, but we feel it is a value.:) AND...no we are not big foodies nor are we millionaires:(...it is just what we do when we take a cruise!:)

BILL

I am Elite on Celebrity and have always been a big fan. In March we are going on Azamara. Our balcony cabin is about $900. more than on Celebrity. We mainly drink wine. Having wine included with lunch and dinner is good for us. I will report back and let you know if it is worth the difference in price. I believe it will be.

You could bet that any price increase would eventually find its way into the owners pockets, without an increase in quality.

That is my concern too. Also if they raise the standard of the MDR, would they be butchering their own attempts to get folks into the specialty restaurants?

Actually, The DW and I eat every night in a specialty restaurant and have done so for the last 5 years.:eek: Yes, it is more than many people care to spend for food, but we feel it is a value.:) AND...no we are not big foodies nor are we millionaires:(...it is just what we do when we take a cruise!:)

BILL

Go for it. I assume you are mainly interested in the ambiance and the much better service. I certainly would never criticize anyone for doing this. I am not a millionaire but I could afford to do the same. However, I do not think it is worth an extra $960 to do this on a 12 night cruise. I just would like to see a little better food in the MDR which could easily be done for less than $10 per person per day. Celebrity deserts used to be special - now I usually have the ice cream if I have anything. Shrimp cocktail are the smallest, soggiest shrimp I have ever seen. Soups are watery compared to 5 years ago. Steaks tend to be a little chewy - no I do not get them well done. Many cheaper priced entrees have been introduced. I really do not need "Comfort food" when I am on a cruise. Anyhow I believe that was the intend of the original post. Would you be willing to pay a little more for better quality?

You are getting carried away. Most people are just saying they want a little better food in the MDR like it used to be and they would pay $5 to $10 per day extra. They are not asking for Regent, Seabourn, Silverseas, etc. No one is expecting perfection.

Exactly!!!! You are spot on Giorgi-one.

I also feel that if the quality in the MDR and buffet decline any further it will not get me into the specialty restaurants but will just keep me from boarding the ship in the first place. Is that really what Celebrity wants?

In light of the fact that a Celebrity cruise is so much cheaper than it use to be, I think it was inevitable that Celebrity needed to cut corners to stay afloat (pun intended). Based on the results of this poll it appears that there are more people who are concerned with price than quality, which is probably why Celebrity has changed its business model in recent years.

I think the improvements most people want are available on other cruiselines; however, the price difference between those lines and Celebrity is more than most of us want to pay.

Doing a quick comparison of similar itineraries on a 10 day Med cruise in October, these are the prices per person per day for the cheapest balcony:

Celebrity $219

Azamara $369

Seabourn $599

Regent $639

Azamara includes all non-alcoholic drinks, wine with lunch and dinner, and perhaps better main dining room food. The cabins are actually not as nice as Celebrity's S-class cabins. Azamara provides great service, but when comparing costs, for the extra $150 per day, I can have a lot of perks on Celebrity.

quote]

Celebrity is about $219 a night if you are sailing as a couple. If sailing solo it is closer to $440. Azamara is $369 as a couple but on some sailings only about $459 as a solo. As a solo there really isn't much difference on some sailings which have a single supplemnent of only 125%. Don't know what the food is like.

I don't agree. The cost of Azamara is generally significantly more than the cost of a Celebrity cruise and the ships are alot smaller. Azamara is truly a totally different experience so I think in most respects is like comparing apples to oranges. I voted that I would pay more, but certainly not double or triple which many Azamara cruises cost!

The issue of course is that what I am willing to pay more for may not be what the next person is willing to pay more for. I would personally be willing to pay more for a cruise that included lower priced (or free) alternative restaurant options, free soda and specialty coffees, and better entertainment. The main reason I would rather pay more is that I hate, hate, hate the continued addition of 'for a fee' options. I much prefer a more all-inclusive approach to cruising, within reason (definition of which of course varies by person - I am fine with liquor, gambling, spa services and the like being add-ons)

I don't agree. The cost of Azamara is generally significantly more than the cost of a Celebrity cruise and the ships are alot smaller. Azamara is truly a totally different experience so I think in most respects is like comparing apples to oranges. I voted that I would pay more, but certainly not double or triple which many Azamara cruises cost!

The issue of course is that what I am willing to pay more for may not be what the next person is willing to pay more for. I would personally be willing to pay more for a cruise that included lower priced (or free) alternative restaurant options, free soda and specialty coffees, and better entertainment. The main reason I would rather pay more is that I hate, hate, hate the continued addition of 'for a fee' options. I much prefer a more all-inclusive approach to cruising, within reason (definition of which of course varies by person - I am fine with liquor, gambling, spa services and the like being add-ons)

I, on the other hand, would probably stop cruising with Celebrity if they raised the prices to include those things you want covered in the base fare. I don't drink coffee, rarely drink sodas, and only frequent the specialty restaurants a couple times per cruise for a special experience, being generally satisfied with the MDR. I have zero interest in the fares being raised to subsidize your coffee and soda habits, nor to partially pay for your higher end dining in the specialty restaurants. I think things are just fine the way they are. If you don't like it, either accept it with grace or find a cruise line that more fully meets your desires. I have done exactly that since some of the things that I prefer, I have to pay extra for, and I'm not trying to change the cruise line to meet my personal preferences.

And based on the poll numbers, the clear majority feel as I do. It's time to stop beating this subject even deader than it already is.

Meaning no disrespect, O.P., but your question is too vague:

"Would you pay more for a better overall experience?"

What would be a "better overall experience" would vary from person to person.

We think that more helpful polls would be ones that would ask such specific things as this:

1. "How much greater a fare (%) would you be willing to pay if Celebrity cruises were all-inclusive of beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) -- provided that the line were to publish a reasonably reliable list of what beverages would be available on board?"

2. "How much greater a fare (%) would you be willing to pay if Celebrity cruises were to include all transfers from/to airports, all shuttles from ships to port-city-centers, and a basic 'hop-on/hop-off' excursion at each port?"

3. "How much greater a fare (%) would you be willing to pay if Celebrity were to allow each guest to bring aboard an unlimited quantity of alcoholic beverages (wine, liqueurs, and "hard" liquor)?"

4., etc. [You can get creative!]

We believe that many current guests would be willing to pay a lot more for item #1, a moderate amount for item #3, and a bit more for item #2. Implementing such changes would take away so much "red tape" (both for "X" and their guests) that the result would be marvelous and much off-setting money could be saved (bringing down the percentage of increase that would be required).

We think that more helpful polls would be ones that would ask such specific things as this:

1. "How much greater a fare (%) would you be willing to pay if Celebrity cruises were all-inclusive of beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) -- provided that the line were to publish a reasonably reliable list of what beverages would be available on board?"

2. "How much greater a fare (%) would you be willing to pay if Celebrity cruises were to include all transfers from/to airports, all shuttles from ships to port-city-centers, and a basic 'hop-on/hop-off' excursion at each port?"

3. "How much greater a fare (%) would you be willing to pay if Celebrity were to allow each guest to bring aboard an unlimited quantity of alcoholic beverages (wine, liqueurs, and "hard" liquor)?"

We believe that many current guests would be willing to pay a lot more for item #1, a moderate amount for item #3, and a bit more for item #2. Implementing such changes would take away so much "red tape" (both for "X" and their guests) that the result would be marvelous and much off-setting money could be saved (bringing down the percentage of increase that would be required).

Sorry, I disagree. I don't believe most guests would be willing to pay more for either 1, 2, or 3 on your list. Just because you are willing to pay more for these options doesn't mean that most people would be willing to do so.

I happen to like the current pricing model. Why should I pay more for things that have no value to me? If you want these items, you may have them by paying more for them. Why require everyone to pay more for the things you value?

1. I would not be willing to pay more, since I don’t drink alcohol and don’t feel that I should have to pay extra so someone can have free drinks. Cruises currently have drink packages that can be purchased which increases only that cruisers fare and they can drink all they want, without other cruisers subsidizing their cost.

2. Would not be willing to pay extra for this, as I would prefer to chose my own transportation, etc. and not feel forced to use Celebrity’s because I’m paying more.

3. Again, since I don’t drink, I would not be willing to pay so others can bring on their own alcoholic beverages. Not sure how many light or non-drinkers would be very happy about an extra charge for this.

I would be willing to pay a little extra if it went to better food in the MDR.

As for #1, purchase a beverage package if this is so important to you. It isn't for me.

As for #2, purchase the transfers through Celebrity, and purchase the Hop On-Hop Off ("HOHO") tickets online if that is important to you. For people taking excursions through the cruise line, having HOHO tickets included in a higher base fare would be spending money on something they won't use.

As for #3, I see no need to pay more so you can bring all the booze you want to drink without having to buy it on board. I don't drink that much, see no purpose to getting boozed up every day, and certainly am not interested in subsidizing your "unlimited" alcoholic intake.

However, I would be willing to pay to put a stop to these endless "they should charge more so _________ (WRITE IN YOUR FAVORITE THING) would be included" threads :D

Sorry, I disagree. I don't believe most guests would be willing to pay more for either 1, 2, or 3 on your list. Just because you are willing to pay more for these options doesn't mean that most people would be willing to do so.

I happen to like the current pricing model. Why should I pay more for things that have no value to me? If you want these items, you may have them by paying more for them. Why require everyone to pay more for the things you value?

Agree with you.

Just to get some decent food. Maybe Michel Roux jr? Or what about Heston Blumenthal, or Thomas Kellar

I'm sorry Jacque Van Staden hasn't worked for me, he may have performed his cost cutting task well, but its now time for a change, and a change for the better. The RCI family of cruise ships are about the only one without a Celebrity chef at the reins of the on board culinary experience, and it tells.

Agree with you.

I, on the other hand, would probably stop cruising with Celebrity if they raised the prices to include those things you want covered in the base fare. I don't drink coffee, rarely drink sodas, and only frequent the specialty restaurants a couple times per cruise for a special experience, being generally satisfied with the MDR. I have zero interest in the fares being raised to subsidize your coffee and soda habits, nor to partially pay for your higher end dining in the specialty restaurants. I think things are just fine the way they are. If you don't like it, either accept it with grace or find a cruise line that more fully meets your desires. I have done exactly that since some of the things that I prefer, I have to pay extra for, and I'm not trying to change the cruise line to meet my personal preferences.

And based on the poll numbers, the clear majority feel as I do. It's time to stop beating this subject even deader than it already is.

Wow - what was it in my post that put you into attack mode?? The point of this thread was to ask people if they would pay more. I answered that question. I also mentioned the things I would pay more for. If you don't happen to agree, that's fine. But I am responding to a post and giving my opinion, not "trying to change the cruise line to meet my personal preferences". If someone posts an opinion different than yours I don't see a reason for you to suggest that the solution is for them to find another cruiseline that better meets their desires.

I happen to love Celebrity - I just don't love how they continue to add pay-for-fee options. They still remain head and shoulders above similar cruiselines in my opinion and for that reason I will continue to cruise them - and continue to post my opinions, pro and con, about their product. And while we are jousting back and forth, let me point out that over 40% of people so far have responded that they would, in fact, pay more (amount varies) for certain additional benefits. Yes, that remains a minority, but a fairly substantial one.

Archived