Port Hole Room

baldman70

• 2 years later...

We have had port hole rooms on Valor and Splendor and booked one on Conquest for next year. Those ships (and probably others) have PT rooms that hold 4 people (3 beds on the floor and one upper). They also have PT for just 2, but if you call you can book the one for 4 for only 2 people.

Lower is a couch when not sleeping so there is plenty of room. See cruiselinerooms dot com for examples of pictures.

On Fantasy class ships, porthole cabins are the same size as inside and oceanview cabins. As an added bonus, you get a big ledge in front of the portholes, which gets bigger the farther forward you're located. I stayed in such a cabin, and used the ledge as a dumping ground for my empty suitcase and dirty clothes. On other ship classes, porthole cabins are smaller than insides and oceanviews, and may be classified as either 1A or PT, depending what type of second bed (normal bed vs. bunk or sofa). Spirit class ship do not have porthole cabins.

We had 1208 on Dream. It is about the same size as the oceanview, but was a lot cheaper! If you go one cabin more forward, it gets a bit smaller. My parents had that one. It is still spacious enough and we loved the light and seeing the waves at night. In case you have not seen enough pics yet...

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

This is one of my favorite things about the forward PT: Nice to watch the wild waves. This was on NCL Dawn though...

IMG_0400.jpg

Hi All!

I had a double porthole cabin on Breeze (2217) & really liked it.

I was solo & it only had a single bed which made the room seem really spacious.

[ATTACH]309935[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]309936[/ATTACH]

This cruise I'm trying a cove balcony.

~ Jo ~ :)

We're doing out first porthole next October. On the Fantasy class ships, is it better to be on the Upper or Empress level, front or back? We chose Empress 3rd room back because it looks a couple feet bigger, and I read something about wave noise.

Do other cruise lines offer inexpensive portholes or just Carnival?

We're doing out first porthole next October. On the Fantasy class ships, is it better to be on the Upper or Empress level, front or back? We chose Empress 3rd room back because it looks a couple feet bigger, and I read something about wave noise.

I would personally switch to upper to avoid possible noise from the show lounge right above. I don't know if it will be an issue, but I know it is usually best to have cabins above and below you.

Is any of the following available? U15, U16, U17 or U18

I would pick one of those

Considering this image, I may even move to the Main deck. Note how the portholes on Fantasy class ships are closer to midship - thus closer to the elevator and less likely to have the noise from the waves breaking on the bow.

1fd2d521297b35320c7e00a083b9b717_zpse820ec3c.jpg

Loved our PT on the Elation ... we were on the upper deck, U14 & U16.

Our room:

va5y6ede.jpg

(Not a fan of the corner box)

DD & DD's room:

nu4ysevy.jpg

The way their's was set up, it felt pretty spacious when you walked in.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Edited by christyran1228

P H cabins can be a great deal.

Off topic but I wonder why 4 adults will share a cabin rather then each couple getting a lower priced cabin like a P H.

Also off topic but nice to see you back Sargent Schultz (and also Firefly). :)

I would personally switch to upper to avoid possible noise from the show lounge right above. I don't know if it will be an issue, but I know it is usually best to have cabins above and below you.

Is any of the following available? U15, U16, U17 or U18

I would pick one of those

Only U1, U2, U3. I don't see any porthole cabins available on the main or riviera decks. I may have chose U3 if I had read this beforehand, just for a better view of the water if nothing else, but next time... We stay up late, so I'm not worried about noise from the show lounge.

I booked through Discover's travel agency and there are fees associated with switching rooms. Everything is pretty much automated and the rewards were less than I thought, much better through a TA.

Considering this image, I may even move to the Main deck. Note how the portholes on Fantasy class ships are closer to midship - thus closer to the elevator and less likely to have the noise from the waves breaking on the bow.

1fd2d521297b35320c7e00a083b9b717_zpse820ec3c.jpg

Excellent visual! Next time I'll choose a different deck and compare. I did choose the right side of the ship to see more of the ports as we approach them.

I had a porthole room on my first (and only) cruise in 2005. I thought it was great. I was traveling with a friend, and the layout of the two twins gave us so much space. We were on the Main deck (M10, to be exact). It was a little noisy when arriving at our ports, but nothing that was too disturbing - I either went back to sleep or got up to get off the ship!

I'm finally going on another cruise this year (long overdue!), and while booking I completely forgot about the porthole rooms and was originally going to get an OV - but then I remembered! We will be in U15 - I definitely wanted to be above/below other cabins.

In my mind, as much as I would love a balcony, it really makes the most sense for us to go with the porthole rooms for now. Great value, and I love having the sunlight!

Only U1, U2, U3. I don't see any porthole cabins available on the main or riviera decks. I may have chose U3 if I had read this beforehand, just for a better view of the water if nothing else, but next time... We stay up late, so I'm not worried about noise from the show lounge.

I booked through Discover's travel agency and there are fees associated with switching rooms. Everything is pretty much automated and the rewards were less than I thought, much better through a TA.

That is too bad about Discover. I bet that is why you only see so few PT's available. Did you try a mock booking through Carnival to see if all those cabins are really gone? I'm curious to know whether they are really sold out so far in advance...

Either way, ANY cabin on a ship is better than my couch at home :D Enjoy counting down the days to your cruise!

That is too bad about Discover. I bet that is why you only see so few PT's available. Did you try a mock booking through Carnival to see if all those cabins are really gone? I'm curious to know whether they are really sold out so far in advance...

Either way, ANY cabin on a ship is better than my couch at home :D Enjoy counting down the days to your cruise!

Yes, we're only getting $16 back, where cruises(com) would have given us $25 OBC. Not that $9 is a big deal, but the main website is easier to use, and we got good followup customer service just from an inquiry. Discover is great in other ways, 5% cashback categories, no foreign transaction fees, ect.

Maybe you're right about there being an error... Yep after doing a mock booking, pretty much everything is available on all 4 decks! Oh well small mistakes to learn from, we'll have a great cruise! I guess on the positive we'll only have to walk up a few stairs if we don't feel like taking the elevator ;)

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Considering this image, I may even move to the Main deck.

Just for future reference, is the disadvantage to the Riviera deck the waves, or is that just near the bow? I know someone said that you want cabins below you, which would give the main deck the advantage as you suggest.

I think I'm going to book straight through Carnival next time and avoid all the nonsense. It seems that some cabins are unavailable outside of Carnival's website...

Just for future reference, is the disadvantage to the Riviera deck the waves, or is that just near the bow? I know someone said that you want cabins below you, which would give the main deck the advantage as you suggest.

I think I'm going to book straight through Carnival next time and avoid all the nonsense. It seems that some cabins are unavailable outside of Carnival's website...

I almost booked through American discount cruises to get th3 $25 OBC but changed my mind in the end.. Saw a video on youtube that showed room 2221 (I booked 2220) and it looks spacious!