SD1 - Feb. 18 to 27

DisneyJen

Greetings all from off the coast of Nevis!

Sorry I have been MIA but don't fret I am taking my usual copius notes and will report in full detail as always (along with photos which I took with my camera).

This our first charter and I must say that it has been and continues to be incredible. Hopefully we will able to do another one in our lifetime:cool:. Will provide info on the differences and nuances in my full report.

Just finished breakfast in the Office with the usual gang of suspects. Marcus, our waiter, along with Silvio, maitre'd, have been taking most excellent care of us at breakfast and lunch. Olivier and Xander along with Brian and others have been taking great care of us at dinner. The executive chef this trip is Virender Singh and he and his staff have been providing incredible food. I am collecting the menus and will post them all for sure.

Bartenders Gideon, Thomas and Xander have perfected my 5 p.m. beverage and blue cheese stuffed olives.

Yesterday, after a full day on the beach and in the surf, Brian cleaned my sunglasses while I sat in the Office solo and enjoyed my book, sparkling water and Martini.

Christophe is making sure all is running smoothly and efficienty and ever so graciously on the hotel side while Captain Bjarne and his officers are showing off their excellent seamanship!

There are 98 guests on board 96 Americans and 2 Canadians. There are 95 hard-working crew members who are making sure that everything is possible while SeaDreaming!

Yesterday we were able to make it to Anegada where we anchored in very shallow water, about 2 miles out. Made for a long tender ride followed by a complinetary shuttle to Cow Wreck Beach ... one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

Here are a few quick photos I took with my iPhone yesterday:

422722_2393757783351_1833146547_1571908_1779950310_n.jpg

Making our way to Anegada. Couldn't ask for a better day to make this approach!

407489_2396180203910_1833146547_1572743_1525898279_n.jpg

Cow Wreck Beach ... one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean!

396364_2396188244111_1833146547_1572745_1604858228_n.jpg

Sailing away from Anegada toward Charlestown, Nevis. The seas were so smooth we hardly knew that we were underway.

Wifi seems to be working relatively well ... I do feel guilty using the laptop in the Office so I have to sneak down to the cabin to post:eek:

Heading back topside since I am sure DJ's DH has noticed I slipped away for longer than 5 minutes!

Thanks for the photos and telling who the crew is. Most of the same wonderful peeps who crossed with us last year. Please say hi to the always fun, Silvio! I love Capt Smorawski! Sounds like you are in the best hands! I'm in withdrawal mode from my trip...and lack of sunshine. We all are so blessed to have such wonderful holidays! I look forward to my next SeaDream. Continue the fun! :)

DJ is a little busy "Sea Dreaming", and posts (including photos) will be forthcoming shortly. She's taking copious notes...:cool:

I know my Wife has been on the bridge too much, when the Captain comes looking for her for a "Consultation".

All is very well on SD1... Food, beverage, crew, service, etc. are phenominal as always.

Thank goodness for the fan we requested, which makes sleeping at night SO much more comfortable. Once again, the powerstip and extension cord we brought have mad a huge difference satisfying our electronic compulsions.:eek:

This is the REAL DisneyJen ... silly DJ's DH posted inadvertently under my account:rolleyes:

Voyage continues to be full of surprises and outstanding service. Just 15 minutes ago Daniel announced that those of us who wanted a galley should gather at the Concierge Desk. What a wonderful birthday present from SD! Nothing like touring the place where the magic happens with a glass of champage and caviar (which I avoided).

Started the morning on the bridge with the wonderful Capt. Bjarne as we naviagated from Spanishtown, Virgin Gorda to Gorda Sound.

Liar's Club was a hoot last night and for the first time we were on the winning team! The team, Just the Two of Us, started as DJ's DH and me but we soon expanded to More Than Just the Two of us. We didn't even us the wifi to google the answers!!:p

Off to dinner which is under the stars ... and includes some of my favorites ... osso bucco, dover sole and on and on!!

Greetings all from the lovely Conrad Condado in San Juan. As FT said, today is a travel and slow re-entry day for us after an incredible 9 nights on our beloved SeaDream.

We, along with six other couples, cleared Customs and Immigration at 7 a.m. and were off the ship and in Elvis's taxi by about 7:15. We made it in plenty of time for our 9:15 JetBlue Flight from STT to SJU. Tomorrow afternoon we will head back to NC on USAir via CLT.

It was so sad leaving the ship this morning with Captain Bjarne and Christophe there to see us off. We had to move so quickly I didn't have time to cry:eek:

I probably won't start my in depth review until Wednesday, in between recovering from being away for almost two weeks. Let me just say that this voyage was incredible ... from the weather to the service to the surprises and to the new friendships forged. It was easy to talk DJ's DH into an opening booking for our next voyage.

DJ's DH and I agree that this was the best of our 6 voyages even though he suffered the whole trip with his back/hip (he finally made an appointment at the orthopaedist for Friday). The crew went out of his way with ice packs, suggestions on spa treatments and even a sample of Chief Bartender Xander's favorite spa product administered by a wonderful Spa staff member at the TOYBar. Talk about service!!

The ocean view room here is gorgeous but I am so missing our SD friends and family.

The ctbjers should be home by now and Mr. and Mrs. TOYBar are about half way through there travel day:eek:

Home safe and sound in NC and back to reality.

No Marcus to greet us this morning with sparkling water, coffee and of course a Grand Mimosa. No Lucy to take care of our stateroom and pick up after us.

No Captain S to laugh and talk to about today's course and navigation ... instead a trip to post office to pick up two week's worth of mail and the grocery store.

I am in the process of uploading photos for "Gone With The Wind Sea Dream Style."

Be patient and gentle ... re-entry is awfully hard and rude:eek:

Sleep came easily as we had the smoothest 86 nautical mile sail ever from SJU to St. John.

An Early Riser’s Coffee was available each and every morning starting at 7 a.m. Breakfast was served each morning from 8 to 10:30 a.m. Even though the sun rose at 6:45 a.m., DJ’s DH and I had such a wonderful night of sleep we didn’t awake until sometime after 8 a.m.

My original plan was to join Mrs. Ctbjr and her friend LB on a jewelry run to Charlotte Amaile around 8 a.m. I opened the new light blocking curtains and opted to stay on board and enjoy the incredible blue skies and azure ocean off of one our favorite islands in the world from “my” Bali bed.

We anchored off Cruz Bay, St. John at 8 a.m. and tender service was established and ran until 2:30 p.m.

DSC02648.jpg

Flying the USVI flag while in port.

DJ’s DH and I headed up to breakfast and joined our old and new usual gang of suspects in the Office. One of the many nice things about this charter was that everyone had a connection to someone (think six degrees of separation) and there was always someone in the Office to host breakfast and lunch as well as afternoon cocktails. Our group averaged around 10 but sometimes would expand to 12 or shrink to four.

Coffee was promptly offered by Marcus, our waiter extraordinaire from Brazil, who seemed to be solely dedicated to making his guests happy. Marcus also made sure that the Mrs. Toybar had her special pico de gallo every morning for her eggs. He also would ask if DJ’s DH and I were ready for our Grand Mimosas. Mr. Toybar had procured some special homemade hot sauce (ironically in a special Patron bottle) from NoNos in San Juan that seemed to magically appear on our table along with a milder yellow sauce. The special sauces were always on our table for breakfast and lunch.

The breakfast menu every morning included a special (which I failed to write down which may result in my being keelhauled) as well as:

Select your choice from the Fresh Cold Breakfast Corner:

Freshly Squeezed Orange and Grapefruit Juice

Seasonal Fresh Cut Fruits

Dried Fruits and Nuts

Fruit Compotes

Assortment of Yoghurts

Selection of Soft and Sliced Cheeses

Swiss Bircher Muesli and Assorted Cereals (may contain Gluten)

Non-Vegetarian Choices on the Cold Buffet:

Thinly Sliced Cold Cuts

Smoked Salmon with Condiments

From Our Bakery:

Baked Breads

Croissants

Brioche

Pastries

Bagels

English Muffins

White, Wheat or Multigrain Toast

Gluten Free Toasts are also available

Hot Cereal:

Cream of Wheat

Oatmeal

Fresh Two Eggs:

Boiled, Fried, Scrambled, Poached or Over Easy

Accompaniment Choices:

Bacon

Sausages

Canadian Bacon

Corned Beef Hash

Grilled Tomato

Hash Brown Potatoes

Your Personalized Three Egg Omelet:

Choose from Plain, Cheese, Ham, Fresh Herbs, Mushrooms. Onions, Tomato, Peppers or all

Healthy alternative: Replace whole Eggs with Egg Whites to Egg Beaters

From the Griddle:

Buttermilk Pancakes

Choose from Plain, with Berries or Banana filling

Swedish Pancakes with Ligonberries

Cinnamon and Raisin Fresh Toast

Grilled at Your Request:

Minute Steak Served with Hash Brown Potatoes

Not ones to break with tradition, DJ’s DH had a perfectly cooked Ham, Cheese and Mushroom Omelet while I opted for a toasted bagel with cream cheese, Norwegian salmon and capers and a glass of Perrier with ice and lime … and of course we both had coffee and a Grand Mimosa.

Khun Jo offered a yoga class on deck at 8 a.m. Daniel saw off the Land Adventure Eco Hike of Lind Point Trail at 9:15 a.m.

While the Wii Interactive Gaming console was available in the Main Salon at 10 a.m. and Motorized Water Sports were available from 10 a.m. to noon, DJ’s DH headed to the spa at 10 a.m. for a back massage to try to help ease his back pain. I hopped on my Bali Bed, socialized with whoever came in and out of the Office and read. Mrs. Ctbjr was scouting out jewelry for me while in St. Thomas. She was sending real-time updates with photos, but I didn’t find anything that struck DJ’s DH’s wallet. Little did I know there were other plans in play.

DSC02647.jpg

The tender making its way back to the the yacht.

Christopher and Silvio checked in with us to see if we would be dining with the large group or just by ourselves aft on Deck 4. Once again we joined the table for 10 to learn more about our sailing partners.

Lunch was served from 12:30 to 2 p.m. A new tradition, thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Toybar, started for us this trip … an appetizer of French Fries with mayo or ketchup. Oh how addicting!!! Gideon made sure that we had our beverages of choice … including DJ’s DH favorite Mic Ultra in a very unique aluminum type bottle that kept it ice cold, as well as Stella, Red Stripe and Caribe for others in the group.

From the Cold Buffet:

Chilled Crab Legs with Cocktail Sauce

Smoked Eel

Thin Sliced Bresaola with Pickles

Cajun Chicken Breast

Healthy Tossed Salad Prepare a la Minute:

Hearts of Palm

Ham and Cheese Salad

Create Your Own Salad with a Wide Variety of Condiments and a Selection of Dressings

Soup of the Day:

Cream of Green Asparagus

From the Grill:

Hamburger or Cheese Burger

Hot Dog Served with Relish

Side Dishes:

Corn Rice, Penne O’Brian Potatoes, French Fried Potatoes

Summer Bistro:

Farfalle Carbonara

Croque Monsieur Sandwich

Chef’s Favorite:

Steamed Black Mussels in White Wine Sauce with Garlic Bread

SeaDream Wellness Selection:

Assorted Leaf Lettuce with Citrus Fruits and Lemon-Olive Oil Dressing

Vegetarian Dish of Today:

Breaded Mushrooms with Sauce Tartar

Oriental Choice:

Thai Style Chicken Curry with Bamboo Shoots and Corn Rice

Prepared a la Minute:

Filet of Rainbow Trout Almondine

Medallion of Pork Tenderloin with O’Brian Potatoes and Caraway Sauce

Suggested wines:

Cloudy Bay, Marlborough, 2008 - $56

Croze-Hermitage, Rhone Valley, 2006 - $37

Marcus placed the special sauces on our table and asked about the red colored hot sauce. Mannish, the sommelier, passed by and asked about the special Patron. Mr. Toybar offered them each a taste. Marcus tried it and Mannish passed.

After lunch Silvio was making his rounds and spied the special Patron bottle. After an in-depth conversation about tequilas (which DJ’s DH and I know very little) the next thing we knew everyone at the table had a shot glass in front of them. Silvio reappeared to share a special tequila that none of us had every tried. He made sure we had all the accoutrements as well. Talk about making attention to detail!

After lunch, some of us stayed in the Office while others went to the pool or Bali beds.

DSC02644.jpg

DJ's DH hard at work ...

NOT!!

DSC02643.jpg

The view from my Bali Bed.

Promptly at 3 p.m., the single anchor was pulled up and we set off for a beautiful sail on azure and turquoise waters to Great Harbor, Jost Van Dyke. Captain Smorawski granted me permission to be on the bridge. I stayed for a few minutes while we sailed the six nautical miles to Jost. One of the many things we love about SD is the ability to spend time on the bridge at any time. Capt. S patiently answered questions and his more than capable officers explained the plotted course.

We sailed past Thatch Island and Tortola to Jost on a glass like sea and under a cloudless sky. Oh to be sailing these curing waters again. One of the great things about this charter was that we repositioned during the day with short hops so all could enjoy the incredible and ever changing vistas known as the Caribbean islands.

DSC02645.jpg

St. Thomas in our wake.

As we made our way to Jost I enjoyed the foredeck on Deck 5 as the calming sun and breeze started to ease my soul.

We dropped anchor off Jost around 4 and then cleared BVI Customs and Immigration.

As a special surprise we were offered a sunset swim off of the marina. We then had the opportunity to take a Zodiac trip from Great Harbor to White Bay where we were able to have a wet landing near the Soggy Dollar. We enjoyed Pain Killers and Red Stripes in the surf. After about an hour we were whisked away via Zodiac back to the ship just as the sun was setting and in time for showers before the Captain’s Welcome Cocktail Reception.

One of the changes that DJ’s DH and I noticed was the redesigned shower door. Instead of the shower door opening into the sink area, it now is a bi-fold type design that pushes the door into the shower. In our opinion, this was a significant improvement as it makes it easier to enter and exit the shower. The only issue though is that there is a support beam atop the door which some members of our party hit their heads on when first entering the shower.

Another change is in the packaging of the Bulgari White shower gel/shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. The new design seems to hold more and has a flip top.

After retiring to our stateroom we found the following letter on our bed:

“Dear Guests,

“Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced in regards to the broken elevator.

“We deeply value our relationship with you and are committed to providing you with the highest level of service simply because you deserve the very best.

“If you have any further questions or comments regarding this matter, please feel free to discuss it with us.”

Signed

Captain Bjarne Smorawski

Master

SeaDream 1

After enjoying a wonderful shower with just the right water temperature and pressure we dressed and joined the rest of the passengers around 7 p.m. in the Main Salon. The captain formally welcomed us on board and introduced his senior officers.

Brian made sure that we had our beverages of choice during the reception. It seemed almost like magic that he knew what our drinks of choice were … be it a martini, sparkling water or a Diet Coke with no fruit.

While dinner was served in the Dining Room, there were several tables on Deck 4 aft. Ctbjr graciously hosted a table every evening. DJ’s DH and I would often join the group and occasionally graciously decline the invite and dine at a table for two on Deck 4 aft.

Securely at anchor under an inky sky dotted with stars we were shown by Silvio to a table for 10. Olivier from France, Xander from South Africa and Mark from the Philippines made sure that we wanted for nothing. The threesome continued to provide outstanding service each and every night.

The evening’s dinner menu was as follows (I can’t guarantee that the menus are in the right order as they did not have dates on them as they have in the past):

Appetizers:

Green Asparagus Bavariose with Organic Salmon Tartar and Caviar Crème

Thai Beef Salad with Fresh Mango and Papaya

Vol au Vent – Mushrooms and Asparagus Ragout filled in Puff Pastry Shell

Middle Course:

Cream of Roasted Garlic with Multigrain Croutons

Chinese Hot and Sour Soup with Egg Drops

Caesar Salad with Baguette Croutons and Parmesan Shavings

Homemade Entremets:

Passion Fruit Sorbet

Cinnamon Ginger Frozen Yoghurt

Pasta:

Pappardelle Pasta with Fresh Spinach, Prosciutto Ham, Garlic, Tomato and Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Main Courses:

Grilled Lobster Tail with Green Vegetables, Warm Tomato-Bocconcino, Green Peas Risotto and Garlic Hot Sauce

Veal Saltimbocca with Fresh Sage Leaves, Vegetable Linguini and Marsala Sauce

Oven Baked Duck Breast with Potato Blini, Red Cabbage, Glazed Apples and Sauce Carmel d’Epice

A Healthy Treat – In our continued pursuit of healthy living though increased nutritional awareness we bring you A Confluence of Oriental and Western dishes that reflect these needs.

Thai Style Beef Salad with Fresh Papaya and Ginger-Lime Dressing

Chinese Hot and Sour Soup with Egg Drops

Spiced Monk Fish on Arugula Lettuce and Sautéed Vegetables with Yoghurt Mint Dip

Kiwi Carpaccio with Thyme Sauce and Cinnamon Ginger Frozen Yoghurt

Ginger Spiced Tea

Dream Raw Cuisine – SeaDream introduces an epic form of vegetarianism called the “raw foods” or “living foods movement” which has become a way of life for many around the world.

Cucumber, Tomato-Mint Gazpacho

Heirloom Tomato, Fennel and Avocado Pressed Salad with Caper Dressing, Pistachio and Mint

Raspberry Sunset

Beet Ravioli with Macadamia Nut Cheese – Pistachio-Parsley Salad, Rosemary Cream Sauce and Reduced Balsamico

Mango Mousse with Lime Cream

Always Available:

Russian Osetra Karat Caviar – 1 oz. jar - $122.80

Sevruga Caviar – 1 oz. jar - $44

Sevruga Caviar Duo – 3 oz. jar - $132

Russian Osetra Karat Caviar Amber – 1 oz. jar - $101.60

Russian Osetra Caviar Gold – 1 oz. jar - $122.80

A la Carte Selection:

Consommé Double with Batonnet au Fromage

Caesar Salad served with Croutons and Grated Parmesan Cheese

Linguini al Pesto or with Chunky Tomato Sauce

Broiled Fillet of Organic Salmon with Caper Butter

Chicken Breast with Herbs, Lemon and Virgin Olive Oil

Grilled NY Cut Strip-Loin Steak, Madagascar Pepper Sauce

Rosemary Marinated Lamb Chops with Natural Gravy

Indulge with Your Pastry Chef Ferenc Beres Molnar

Dessert:

24 Carat Gold Leaf Topped Fondant au Chocolate with Vanilla Ice Cream

Profiteroles filled with Pecan Ice Cream and Homemade Chocolate Sauce

Kiwi Carpaccio with Thyme Sauce and Cinnamon Ginger Frozen Yoghurt

Ice Creams:

Vanilla

Brownies

Cookies and Cream

Strawberry

Assorted European Cheeses served with Homemade Cheese Bread

Wine Recommendations:

White Wines:

Pouilly Fume, Pascal Jolivet, 2009, $45

Chardonnay, Robert Mondavi, 2004, $67

Chardonnay, Rio Vivo, Casablanca Valley, Laroche, 2004, $32

Red Wines:

Corton-Pougets, Grand Cru, 2001 - $102

Cabernet Sauvignon Zinfandel, Paraduxx, 2006, $112

Clos Fourtet, First Grand Cru Classe, 2007, $112

Dinner delighted everyone’s palate.

Around 9 p.m. a tender service was established to whisk guests off to Foxy’s in Great Harbor and ran continuously until 11:30 p.m. We and our dinner companions passed. Some headed to the casino while the rest of us headed to the TOY Bar for a nightcap graciously poured by Gideon and Thomas.

Other after dinner activities included a sing along with George at the Piano Bar and a movie and popcorn under the stars. The movie this evening was “Moneyball.”

After saying our goodnights, DJ’s DH and I headed back to our stateroom to find our bed perfectly turned down by Lucy. This evening’s gift was two beautiful strawberries dipped in white chocolate.

DJ’s DH and I both like to sleep in what some call an icebox … the average temp in our bedroom at home is around 68. With the fan set to high, it would take a few minutes for our stateroom to get to a comfortable sleeping temperature for us.

Anchored safely for the night in Great Harbor we drifted off to sleep.

Archived