SD1 - Feb. 18 to 27

DisneyJen

Wishing you a safe flight tomorrow! And also a fabulous cruise on SDI! From what I've read, it should be a well deserved relaxing vacation for both of you. Will give you a toast to a great trip! Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Wishing you a safe flight tomorrow! And also a fabulous cruise on SDI! From what I've read, it should be a well deserved relaxing vacation for both of you. Will give you a toast to a great trip! Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Thanks whatnot! DD is already at with our friends where she will spend the next two weeks. DDog's bag is packed and she is pouting! Our friends will get her tomorrow morning. Our ride is arranged to the airport and I just have to put the clothes in the suitcase!

Will toast you and vandrefalk as well!

Hmmmmmmmmm.... Maybe I should book something for Mrs. CTBjr this Sunday morning. Would be less expensive than the alternative currently being contemplated - jewelry shopping excursion to St. Thomas.....

I actually think DJ's DH arranged for me to come down with this head cold so I don't want to even think about jewelry shopping. I am taking cold meds so I will be in top shopping form by Sunday!!

Last month in STT, I made it out alive.:eek: Between sticker shock and not that much good stuff, Lady L was not amused. Still thanking my lucky stars that a set of binoculars was the big purchase.:D:eek::D

DJ's DH is bringing his binocs so there will be no shopping for him ... unless it is for Grand Marnier!

Just make sure you pack the "big five" as we count them out as we're screeching out of the driveway late for the airport--

1) tickets (if not e-ticketing)

2) passports/ID

3) money/credit cards

4) drugs (meaning prescription drugs or any "always works for me" OTC that may be hard to find)

5) swimsuit (and that's optional for those who are easy to fit and could pick one up anywhere)

Anything else you can buy or enjoy your cruise without. Except maybe your kindle/nook/ipad reader and prescription sunglasses. Well, that would be me.:D

Last time we turned around for my DS's ID and I've had drugs fedexed to me. You'd think as much as we travel we'd get it right by now.:o

Enjoy throwing things in the rollerboard!

Good list, fpebbles.

We always pack some extra clothes in our carry ons.... which turned out to be a godsend this last trip when our plane connection was too tight and we made it to Barbados but our checked luggage did not. :eek:

Bon voyage, good people!

First time I've been here in a while, so I am way behind on news, but it only took me a minute to realize that some of my favorite posters were ready to hit the runway.

Love that your hubby got you such a fab Valentine's gift, DJ. I got some golf balls, and a golf lesson certificate. Really, pretty much all I need these days. . .still in SW Florida. :p

Have a blast and a very safe trip!

double ditto . . . especially as we are in for possible "winter weather" on Sunday here . . . DJ and DJ's DH - you are escaping at the right time. Safe travels and smooth seas for all.

FT

Not to worry, FT (and others). I will take responsibility of making certain that DJ keeps all of her CC friends up to date in regard to SD1 and its occupants during this upcoming voyage.

DJ safe travels and hope you feel better soon (I have a feeling being on SD will help tremendously with that! ;)).

Looking fwd to hearing all about your cruise.

Thanks CDreamer. This trip is EXACTLY what the doctor odered!

Good list, fpebbles.

We always pack some extra clothes in our carry ons.... which turned out to be a godsend this last trip when our plane connection was too tight and we made it to Barbados but our checked luggage did not. :eek:

We do as well fpebbles! As a matter of fact we have lived out of the roll-a-boards for the last two days instead of digging through our big bags.

Bon voyage, good people!

First time I've been here in a while, so I am way behind on news, but it only took me a minute to realize that some of my favorite posters were ready to hit the runway.

Love that your hubby got you such a fab Valentine's gift, DJ. I got some golf balls, and a golf lesson certificate. Really, pretty much all I need these days. . .still in SW Florida. :p

Have a blast and a very safe trip!

Thanks Mimito4! Sounds like your DH knows you very well:cool:

Looking forward to some live reporting! :D

First part of the pre-cruise is typed and ready to post:p

double ditto . . . especially as we are in for possible "winter weather" on Sunday here . . . DJ and DJ's DH - you are escaping at the right time. Safe travels and smooth seas for all.

FT

Glad to be dodging that bullet FT! DJ's DH and I thought of the wonderful lunch you arranged here at the Sheraton before our SD2 cruise in March '09. Our balcony is right over the patio.

Not to worry, FT (and others). I will take responsibility of making certain that DJ keeps all of her CC friends up to date in regard to SD1 and its occupants during this upcoming voyage.

Now that I have received a text the the ctbjrers are on island I guess he can make good on keeping me on task!

Get well DJ and Bon Voyage to all the CCers on this one. Looking forward to hearing all about it.:D

J & L

Thanks Jim and Lois! You sure are special Jim as CC wouldn't let me include you in the multi-post reply.

I am going to have to try extra hard not to call the wife of the Jim we are sailing with Lois:eek:

The prospect of jewelry shopping on St. Thomas is sounding better than going to work this morning :eek:

Have a great trip!

Thanks Ragnar!

Safe travels to all. Waiting in live reports of the quality that FT posts. :D

Everyone have a good time and safe journeys. It's only 5 months until we sail again!

Appreciate the good wishes zqvol! Hopefully I can live up to your posting expectations:p

DJ’s DH and I are sitting in front of the French balcony in our suite at the Sheraton Old Juan literally waiting for our ship to come in. Actually, SD1 isn’t schedule to arrive until tomorrow morning but we are more than ready to board her!

Thursday, Feb. 16

We left our house in NC around 8 a.m. for our first USAir flight to CLT. For the record, we each checked one bag and carried on a briefcase and roll-a-board. Yes, those of you who guessed six pieces of luggage were correct. We probably could have gotten away with one roll-a-board if DJ’s DH would have been willing to leave home about three months’ worth of magazines he hasn’t had time to read.

We spent more time on the group await clearance than we did in the air to CLT but that is par for the course at our little airport. We made a quick pit stop at the USAir Club and then boarded the 767 bound for SJU. I can’t tell you much about the flight as I have been battling a cold for the last two days so I slept most of the trip. DJ’s DH did make sure to keep me awake to order lunch and then to eat lunch. Glad to say that USAir has upgraded its meal service in First Class. I have a lovely salad, roll and spinach ravioli in a red sauce while DJ’s DH had a salad, roll and Sesame Chicken with rice and vegetables.

Before we knew I knew it we were on the ground in San Juan and off to baggage claim. Even though our bags were tagged priority it took what seemed like forever for them shoot down the chute. Bags in tow, we headed to the long line for a taxi to Hampton Inn and Suites on Isla Verde in the Carolina area.

This is our first time not staying at the Caribe Hilton while in Puerto Rico. After a short $16 taxi ride we arrived at the Hampton which is basically the same as any other Hampton in the world except this one had a lovely outdoor pool area complete with a bar and grill. The staff was very friendly and recommended Platos, an authentic Puerto Rican restaurant, across the street from the hotel.

The restaurant has a very nice Caribbean vibe. For an appetizer, we split the calamari which was served with fresh fire roasted tomatoes.

Our server, who is from Southern Michigan and has been living in Puerto Rico for six months, brought us shot sized sample of four of the different sangrias the restaurant makes. We tried a chardonnay, coconut, champagne and mango, and traditional red sangria. DJ’s DH went with the chardonnay sangria while I went with the champagne and mango that reminded me of a mimosa.

As suggested by Naomi at the Front Desk of the Hampton, DJ’s DH had the chicken stuffed with savory plantains and wrapped in bacon then grilled. It came with the most wonderful rice with red beans, chorizo and chicken that could have been a main dish in itself. I had the filet mignon in a wonderful wild mushroom sauce served with a delightful vegetable risotto.

The meal and beverages were delightful.

We then walked two blocks to the Ritz Carlton for an after dinner drink and to check out the property. Set on a lovely stretch of beach with an incredible pool area, the staff seemed stretched at the front desk, bar and restaurant. DJ’s DH thought I got lost while procuring drinks for us.

After a very expensive drink, we strolled the beach for two blocks and headed inland two blocks to our hotel for a good night’s sleep.

Friday, Feb. 17

We had arranged the night before for a 1 p.m. check out so we knew we had plenty to time to enjoy the morning. DJ’s DH headed down to the complimentary breakfast while I stayed in bed to try and beat this cold. Being the thoughtful husband that he is, DJ’s DH brought breakfast back to the room for me.

There were a few work-related items that DJ’s DH had to clean up and we had some paperwork to take care of for our DD. Once those were out of the way we felt like we were finally on vacation and ready to move to our next location.

The bill arrived during the night and it was DJ’s DH’s favorite sum … zero dollars as we used HiltonHonors points for the stay.

Another day, another expensive taxi ride... It cost us and our bags $25 to reach the Sheraton Old San Juan. We used Starwood Preferred Points for this stay and were upgraded to a lovely one bedroom suite that overlooks the harbor and the cruise terminals.

For an older hotel it is in excellent shape as far as Caribbean hotels are concerned.

We checked out the scene at the roof top pool and the restaurants before heading next door to Senor Frogs. For some reason, DJ’s DH had his heart set on eating at this place. We had an enjoyable meal and beer and then shopped awhile. ZQVol always mentions the deals he finds at the Polo store so we went to check it out. We bought several shirts for DJ’s DH before heading back for an afternoon siesta.

Now we are listening to the sounds of a Friday night in Old San Juan and watching the twinkling of the lights on the harbor. Soon it will be time to head out for dinner but I suspect it won’t be far since DJ’s DH’s back is still troubling him.

DJ’s DH and I are sitting in front of the French balcony in our suite at the Sheraton Old Juan literally waiting for our ship to come in. Actually, SD1 isn’t schedule to arrive until tomorrow morning but we are more than ready to board her!

Thursday, Feb. 16

We left our house in NC around 8 a.m. for our first USAir flight to CLT. For the record, we each checked one bag and carried on a briefcase and roll-a-board. Yes, those of you who guessed six pieces of luggage were correct. We probably could have gotten away with one roll-a-board if DJ’s DH would have been willing to leave home about three months’ worth of magazines he hasn’t had time to read.

We spent more time on the group await clearance than we did in the air to CLT but that is par for the course at our little airport. We made a quick pit stop at the USAir Club and then boarded the 767 bound for SJU. I can’t tell you much about the flight as I have been battling a cold for the last two days so I slept most of the trip. DJ’s DH did make sure to keep me awake to order lunch and then to eat lunch.

Glad to say that USAir has upgraded its meal service in First Class. I have a lovely salad, roll and spinach ravioli in a red sauce while DJ’s DH had a salad, roll and Sesame Chicken with rice and vegetables.

Before we knew it we were on the ground in San Juan and off to baggage claim. Even though our bags were tagged priority it took what seemed like forever for them shoot down the chute. Bags in tow, we headed to the long line for a taxi to Hampton Inn and Suites on Isla Verde in the Carolina area.

This is our first time not staying at the Caribe Hilton while in Puerto Rico. After a short $16 taxi ride we arrived at the Hampton which is basically the same as any other Hampton in the world except this one had a lovely outdoor pool area complete with a bar and grill. The staff was very friendly and recommended Platos, an authentic Puerto Rican restaurant, across the street from the hotel.

The restaurant has a very nice Caribbean vibe. For an appetizer, we split the calamari which was served with fresh fire roasted tomatoes.

Our server, who is from Southern Michigan and has been living in Puerto Rico for six months, brought us shot sized sample of four of the different sangrias the restaurant makes. We tried a chardonnay, coconut, champagne and mango, and traditional red sangria. DJ’s DH went with the chardonnay sangria while I went with the champagne and mango that reminded me of a mimosa.

As suggested by Naomi at the Front Desk of the Hampton, DJ’s DH had the chicken stuffed with savory plantains and wrapped in bacon then grilled. It came with the most wonderful rice with red beans, chorizo and chicken that could have been a main dish in itself. I had the filet mignon in a wonderful wild mushroom sauce served with a delightful vegetable risotto.

The meal and beverages were delightful.

We then walked two blocks to the Ritz Carlton for an after dinner drink and to check out the property. Set on a lovely stretch of beach with an incredible pool area, the staff seemed stretched at the front desk, bar and restaurant. DJ’s DH thought I got lost while procuring drinks for us.

After a very expensive drink, we strolled the beach for two blocks and headed inland two blocks to our hotel for a good night’s sleep.

Friday, Feb. 17

We had arranged the night before for a 1 p.m. check out so we knew we had plenty to time to enjoy the morning. DJ’s DH headed down to the complimentary breakfast while I stayed in bed to try and beat this cold. Being the thoughtful husband that he is, DJ’s DH brought breakfast back to the room for me.

There were a few work-related items that DJ’s DH had to clean up and we had some paperwork to take care of for our DD. Once those were out of the way we felt like we were finally on vacation and ready to move to our next location.

The bill arrived during the night and it was DJ’s DH’s favorite sum … zero dollars as we used HiltonHonors points for the stay.

Another day, another expensive taxi ride... It cost us and our bags $25 to reach the Sheraton Old San Juan. We used Starwood Preferred Points for this stay and were upgraded to a lovely one bedroom suite that overlooks the harbor and the cruise terminals.

For an older hotel it is in excellent shape as far as Caribbean hotels are concerned.

We checked out the scene at the roof top pool and the restaurants before heading next door to Senor Frogs. For some reason, DJ’s DH had his heart set on eating at this place. We had an enjoyable meal and beer and then shopped awhile. ZQVol always mentions the deals he finds at the Polo store so we went to check it out. We bought several shirts for DJ’s DH before heading back for an afternoon siesta.

Now we are listening to the sounds of a Friday night in Old San Juan and watching the twinkling of the lights on the harbor. Soon it will be time to head out for dinner but I suspect it won’t be far since DJ’s DH’s back is still troubling him.

Hello there

Did your ship come in yet?This is Lena you remember her? Wish you and Andy a fabulous cruise on SD1 with all the other people we know. Love reading your reports. Have a drink on us. Cheers Ollie and Lena

Not yet, Lena. Soon though!

What time does your office open up? Too bad we cannot make an appointment for stop ping by your office. I am sure it will be busy for 9days

2 PM sharp, Lena. You know you and Olie are always welcome in the Office. It WILL be a busy 9 days! Hope we see you guys again very soon. Meanwhile have a great trip to Rio and a fantastic 3 weeks on Brand X.

Not yet, Lena. Soon though!

It has arrived Lena!! 7:52 a.m. according to the photo from ctbjr!

2 PM sharp, Lena. You know you and Olie are always welcome in the Office. It WILL be a busy 9 days! Hope we see you guys again very soon. Meanwhile have a great trip to Rio and a fantastic 3 weeks on Brand X.

I suspect we have enough coverage for the Office this trip although you never now!

Glad you are busy in the office for 9 days Good for business Olie says hi and will have a beer in your honor Will keep you updated from Brand X

We look forward to hearing about your sailing on Brand X as Mrs. Ctbjr and I have talked about taking a scouting trip for the boys. Not sure we will ever get them to sail anything but SD!

Friday, Feb. 17 continued

Even though we received some excellent restaurant suggestions from TOYBar we decided to dine at Chicago Burger at the hotel where we denied al fresco on a Chicago Red Hot and a Southwestern (Turkey) Burger and enjoyed some local beer, Santo Viejo.

The weather was warm with a delightful breeze and the sky was clear with twinkling stars. We decided to change into our bathing suits and head up to the pool and hot tub on the 9th floor. We spent a few minutes in the hot tub and then retired for the evening.

Saturday, Feb. 18

Not sure if it was the visions on SD dancing in my head, the sun or the new cold medicine DJ’s DH found for me but I had an excellent night of sleep until about 6 a.m. Every 15 minutes I would quietly sneak out of the bedroom and into the living room to check to see if our beloved SD had docked yet. I made the mistake of going back to bed each time and fell asleep around 7:15.

I did hear DJ’s DH iPhone receive a text around 7:50 but I didn’t bother to get up since I figured it was work related. Silly me … it was a text from Ctbjr letting us know our ship had come in!

430862_2378678966390_738694691_n.jpg

When I woke around 8:30 DJ’s DH informed me that I missed it. I ran to the window and saw this …

429458_2378466201071_1833146547_1564781_355447670_n.jpg

Now we are sipping some Starbucks coffee and Mimosas, listening to Old San Juan wake up and beginning the ever so painful hour then minute countdown until we board SD1! Room service has been ordered ... life is definitely good!

Archived