Sailaway

stoneharborlady

When the ship leaves Port Everglades through the channel, is the Captain just guided by the pilot boat in front, or does someone actually board the ship to guide it out? I ask because the ship never stops for anyone to get off before heading out to sea, but I could swear somebody said the pilot truly boards the ship to give guidance. Thanks!

When the ship leaves Port Everglades through the channel, is the Captain just guided by the pilot boat in front, or does someone actually board the ship to guide it out? I ask because the ship never stops for anyone to get off before heading out to sea, but I could swear somebody said the pilot truly boards the ship to give guidance. Thanks!

Yes, the pilot is onboard to give the Captain guidance as he steers the ship out of port. Once clear of the port, the pilot climbs down a rope ladder onto the pilot boat which follows the ship out. The ship does not stop while the pilot disembarks...

This is a photo of the pilot leaving the ship as we left Mazatlan... but it is the same for all ports.

1492590786_16a478e242_z.jpg?zz=1

Pilot 5 - Mazatlan by RickEk, on Flickr

Yes, there is a pilot on the bridge during the sail in and out of the harbor. These pilots board and disembark from the vessel while it is underway by climbing a ladder to and from the pilot boat. And yes, it is dangerous.

Yes, I would say very dangerous. He must have very good footing. And no life jacket. If he missed the deck of that pilot boat, wouldn't he get sucked under the ship?
More likely, if pilots slip, they get crushed between the pilot boat and the ship. It does happen. :(

Yes, I would say very dangerous. He must have very good footing. And no life jacket. If he missed the deck of that pilot boat, wouldn't he get sucked under the ship?

Attached photo is the Port Everglades pilot boat alongside the Coral Princess moments before the pilot disembarked. You can see from the wake how fast it's going.

Funny story--DH practically fell off the balcony and I almost died laughing at him when we saw that the pilot, instead of a grizzled sea captain, was a blonde, ponytailed young woman. You go girl!

Trip3.jpg.14d1d8613bc3cabe34c3a4144cb4ba4a.jpg

And in Hawaii, I believe on the Island.

This is correct. We were on the Island, in 2006, when that occurred. The pilot was very experienced and well respected, according to the newspaper reports from Hawaii. He was rescued, and later that day, died at he hospital from his injuries.

It's certainly not a profession I would want any of my grandsons to aspire to!!

Its enough making that climb on a sunny afternoon on ships leaving the port, but I forgot that they usually return to port in the early, dark hours of the morning. Gosh, I cannot imagine doing that in the dark, on a stormy night. Those men and women must have nerves of steel. Thank you all for sharing those visuals (I think) What a worry for their spouses!!!

Karen

Hi All

I think worldwide two pilots die each year thinking about how many times a day these foks jump on and off thats quite a low number.

As to pilots I think it is two years now since a pilot was attacked by passengers throwing glasses at him while boarding the Crown, they were thrown of by the captain

yours Shogun

Archived