On Summit Now ...and Never Again!

The Admiral

Allen-

No... I don't like to argue. There are a few political topics that will get me started, but nothing that should be discussed on CC. :) I was just saying that not everyone had the need for a sports coat. It is often mentioned on threads about dress codes in the dining room that all men should own one because they will wear it all the time.

I definitely don't think that people should just wear what they want. They should follow the dress code. That's what it is there for. I've been known to overdress for things. I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed for an occasion.

My comments about blazers in midtown were to reinforce that they can definitely be generational and geographical. That's why I included the KY info, also. As I said in the last post, I was trying to defend jonacon when people began to say that he would be surprised at how often he would wear one, but after his recent posts maybe he just needs to defend himself. :eek:

And before I accidentally offend anyone, I mean no ill will toward Halos for being the one who mentioned that jonacon might wear the jacket all the time. I've never been to Maine, but would love to visit. It is possible that Maine is like other areas where I have lived (i.e. Kentucky) where sports coats are more commonly worn.

Kelly

I have been following this thread with great interest since I am planning on a Celebrity cruise (my first) as a family reunion next spring. All the information that I read on Celebrity's website and in their brochures prior to booking did not say that a jacket was REQUIRED on Informal night and I do not intend on bringing one (I do not intend on participating in formal night so that is not an issue). In fact, this it what it says on Celebrity's website:

"On informal nights, ladies may wear an informal dress or pants and blouse, while gentlemen may wear a jacket and tie with slacks."

Gentlemen MAY wear a jacket and tie is a far cry from a jacket and tie is REQUIRED. I intend on wearing dress slacks, a dress shirt, and tie (no jacket). The way I see it, my contract with Celebrity was "signed" the day they accepted my booking and took my deposit and I am only obligated to abide by the information that was given to me at that time (i.e., that a gentlemen MAY wear a jacket.) To change it to REQUIRED once I am on the ship is a little like changing the rules of the game at the bottom of the 9th inning.

Anybody who has a problem with this needs to complain to Celebrity to make their rules clear PRIOR TO BOOKING.

Phil, et al, cover me again; I'm going in again (wearing my flame-proof sportcoat!)

:( Blazers and sportcoats a thing of the past??? Guess I better change my screen name, and donate the twenty five or so that I have. Otherwise, at 43, someone might mistake me for one of the geriatric set.

Although I do wonder why every major department store still carries them? And why youth-trended stores sell them? And why luxury clothing stores for the urban hipster all sell them? And why every episode of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy has them telling some guy to put on a sport coat or blazer? And guess what, he always looks better! Oh, that's right, I forgot, gays aren't known for their fashion sense.:rolleyes:

Seems that when people don't own something, they can't imagine that it's useful. I have had the same argument with my brothers about clothes that I buy (but they all own at least one blazer!).

But as God as my witness, sportcoat and blazers will never go out of style!!!!

My Motto : "They'll have to pry my Brioni blazer from my cold dead hands":D

And can everyone just take a deep breath and relax? I much prefer the posts that make me laugh to those that make me take note of which cruises the poster has signed up for to add to my "avoid" list?:)

And to the poster just prior to me, would you mind telling us what cruises you've signed up for?:D (I'm sorry. Is that too mean?)

Justify it however you will. You have the information now and you haven't boarded your cruise. Enjoy your cruise and don't give a thought to others. The website also says the daily paper in your cabin will be your guide to the dress for the day. If you don't read it, you won't feel obligated to follow the required dress for the evening.

Gentlemen MAY wear a jacket and tie is a far cry from a jacket and tie is REQUIRED. I intend on wearing dress slacks, a dress shirt, and tie (no jacket). .

And you will look out of place, and some people will judge you as being inconsiderate, rude, and arrogant. But from the tone of your post, you take pride in those qualities. You seem pleased that your "interpretation" of the semantics gives you a loophole which lets others see how "clever" you are.

Phil:D :D

You are too much;)

Allen, that room? We all need to get a Penthouse Suite and have drinks and caviar out on the balcony:) and it will be formal;)

Oh wait, no, how about loungewear instead!

Based on what I am reading here, I won't look out of place as quite a few men do not wear jackets. If it was only 1 or 2 out of a cruise of 3,000, I doubt there would be need for 7 pages of posts on the subject. And it's nothing to do with semantics, it's wanting the cruise that I paid for and agreed to at the time of booking. This isn't a matter of stubbornness or trying to have my own way. I do not own a jacket and because I am extremely difficult to fit, it would be quite a challenge to find one that looks good on me at a price that I can afford. Far more of a challenge and expense than I am willing to put into something that I will only wear one time. If I would have known it was required, I may have booked elsewhere.

I guarantee that I will be dressed very nicely in appropriate dress pants, shirt and tie and will look far better than I would have looked in a poorly fitted jacket. Anybody who would judge me as rude or arrogant for simply not wearing a jacket is not really somebody I would want to know anyway.

I just spent 45 minutes reading all of the bickering posts. We all have our own opinions and we all have the right to our own opinions. Can we please act as adults and not result to childish attacks? We can discus things civilly without calling names or making accusations toward other people.

By the way does it have to be a dark suit. Can I wear a bright pink one.;)

Based on what I am reading here, I won't look out of place as quite a few men do not wear jackets. If it was only 1 or 2 out of a cruise of 3,000, I doubt there would be need for 7 pages of posts on the subject. And it's nothing to do with semantics, it's wanting the cruise that I paid for and agreed to at the time of booking. This isn't a matter of stubbornness or trying to have my own way. I do not own a jacket and because I am extremely difficult to fit, it would be quite a challenge to find one that looks good on me at a price that I can afford. Far more of a challenge and expense than I am willing to put into something that I will only wear one time. If I would have known it was required, I may have booked elsewhere.

I guarantee that I will be dressed very nicely in appropriate dress pants, shirt and tie and will look far better than I would have looked in a poorly fitted jacket. Anybody who would judge me as rude or arrogant for simply not wearing a jacket is not really somebody I would want to know anyway.

You use the words appropriate dress. guess what? not wearing a jacket on informal nights, is not appropriate .

As far as not wanting to wear an ill fitting jacket, why don"t you break down and buy a new one that fits?

We also must have different contracts, as mine states that people will be appropriately dressed:D

Phil

If I would have known it was required, I may have booked elsewhere.

Have you made final payment? If not, you can still get out of it. I hear NCL has a number of specials being offered right now - no jacket required!

To San Anton' Johnny: In my 10 years living in Austin we often went slumming in the Alamo City where, you're right, very few people wear jackets of any kind.

But I do have a question for all of the folks arguing that "request" doesn't mean "required" and that they can wear what they'd like in the DR - do you have to wear pants? They don't seem to be required, so a nice buttondown oxford shirt (with socks, of course, I'm no hippie) should be fine, right?

not wearing a jacket on formal nights may result in your eating in another part of the ship. NMnita

I plan on eating room service or lido deck on formal night. I am only not planning on wearing a jacket in the dining room on Informal night. I doubt that will be a problem as many people have reported seeing men without jackets not being turned away at the door.

Since your cruise is not til next spring you still have plenty of time to change now that you know.

Changing now would be difficult. As I said, this is a family reunion and involves alot of people who have already made plans and reservations.

Hey, Dakrewser, isn't it nice to know that by living in California, we automatically become beach bums!:) Guess it's also required that we surf and say "dude" alot. But I'm still wearing a blazer, even when I hang ten!:D

Allen, that room? We all need to get a Penthouse Suite and have drinks and caviar out on the balcony:) and it will be formal;)

Oh wait, no, how about loungewear instead!

Lois, I saw some perfect drawstring lounge pants at K-Mart today. They are chartreuse and have little drawings of formal dinners with lots of people wearing jeans, shorts, and "dress" shirts!:cool:

Allen

Hey, Dakrewser, isn't it nice to know that by living in California, we automatically become beach bums!:) Guess it's also required that we surf and say "dude" alot. But I'm still wearing a blazer, even when I hang ten!:D

Rubber blazer, or washable wool? :rolleyes:

yikes:rolleyes: sure is getting nasty around here.

I own 3 formal gowns and I never wear them at home;) then again maybe it is a girl thing! I have them in a closet of "Cruise Clothes":D

Lois, I really do like your style!!

Let me just jump here for a minute -- mhenry -- did you have any imput in the decision on what cruise line your reunion would be held on? The reason I ask is that other cruise lines have more casual dining options, i.e., NCL, Princess and RCL to name a few. Personally, one of the reasons we like Celebrity so much is because of the formal nights. Both of us like to dress up for the evening. So, I'm wondering why your family chose Celebrity in the first place. If you had no imput and were forced to go along with the family decision, then I'm glad you have decided to eat elsewhere on the ship and not in the dining room on informal and formal nights.

Although I find this thread entertaining (although a little harsh at times) :D I really don't see that the fuss is all about. Who cares if a man wears a sports coat or a suit jacket on informal nights. The men can make it easy on themselves by taking ONE dark blue suit (with changes of ties, for example) and wear it on all formal and informal nights. My husband just likes to take his tux and a (gulp :( ) sports coat with different slacks.

If you don't want to dress according to the "requested" or "required" dress of the day -- then eat elsewhere on the ship and stay out of the dining room -- it's your "choice".

Why is it so hard for people to adhere to a dress code. If you don't like that style of cruising -- pick another cruise line -- its that simple.

Lucy

Archived