Can you bring your own coffee?

cruiserjinx

Been seeing that coffee is pretty bad on most ships. I've had it but was younger and diden't really drink it often. I've seen the speciatly shops, that have supposedly better coffee. Can you bring your own? How whould you brew it? Can you tip someone to do it? Have the specialty cafe put it their machine, tip included course ;) I think someone has came back from Jamacia and HAD to try the Blue Mountian they just bought. What do ya think? What have you done?

Hi,

The specialty coffee shops on ships have regular brewed coffee, there is a charge. The free coffee on ships is coffee syrup concentrate.

We use (Folgers Coffee Singles), a coffee tea bag, so to speak.

Simply dunk it in hot water..

My wife is a coffee junkie, 1st thing in the morning prior to leaving the cabin, she orders tea from room service (for the hot water) so she can make her 1st cup of the day.

After that, she is off to the specialty coffee. .

Hi there cruiserjinx! Yes, like others said, french press + hot water or just instant coffee is doable. What I also found was that diluting the ship's coffee with milk makes it a whole lot better. (Without doing that, I think licking the bottom of a construction worker's boot while he's on the job tastes better.)

Hi! I consider myself a bit of a coffee snob... I was always against instant coffee, but I LOVE Starbucks VIA (instant coffee). My favorite is Columbia. I actually make a latte out of it with coconut milk as I don't drink much dairy. SO good!! I take the packets onto the ship and just request hot water in the morning. Even if you don't bring your own coffee, I recommend bringing a couple of disposable to-go cups. If you drink the coffee provided by the ship, you can easily dispense it into your own cup. This way, you can walk the ship with your coffee... it will stay warm and you won't have to worry about bringing your favorite to go cup back to your room. Hope that helps!:)

Does Carnival offer a prepaid coffee plan at the specialty shop any more?

What about bringing a small Keurig on board? (This can have no more risk of fire than a hairdrier - actually far less.)

Odds are, the Keurig, like any other small appliance, would be confiscated, since small appliances (coffee pots, toasters, etc.) are prohibited. We plan on doing as others have suggested. We'll bring some coffee singles, and request a pot of hot water from room service, and make our own coffee when we first get up. Then, maybe later on in the morning, head to the specialty shop for a cup of their coffee.

I am not a drip coffee drinker - I have a stainless steel purculator and make it strong. I can suck it up for a week and drink their coffee (I haven't died yet) but I will take International Coffee with me and add a tablespoon or so to it. I would never waste space bringing my own coffee or something to make it with - but that is me. I never buy souveniers at ports I always buy coffees and haven't found one that I don't like. I pack light so I can bring lots home. Good luck.

Why is that easier than a french press. Filter, cone and cup = 3 pieces. French press = 1 piece and tastes sooooooooo much better

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm no guru, but do enjoy my coffee now. Never knew anything about a french press. So I'll look into that. Seems like last time they were serving seattle's best in the cafe'. While better than the bag in a box cocetrate, it's stll the same as what a Subway or Burger King has. Might just try the Starbuck singles also.

Why is that easier than a french press. Filter, cone and cup = 3 pieces. French press = 1 piece and tastes sooooooooo much better

How hard is it to throw away a paperfilter and grounds? Much easier, IMO, than cleaning out a French Press.

But I understand your opinion on your flavor preferences.

I'm all about getting ideas out there. Maybe OP likes this idea?

I know I would want all options instead of finding out later on about something that would have been better for me.

If you don't like the coffee, So you can give instructions to the management. :)

:confused: :confused: :confused:

OP: When traveling, I have become quite accustomed to the Starbucks Via Ready Brew packets. Not quite as good as fresh brewed, but darn near close!

You can get hot water from room service or up on the Lido.

Enjoy!

OK I checked out the French press thingy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_press Seems a popular device, but I've never tried. This trip I'm only traveling with a carry on. So I think I'll do the Starbucks singles, which I never even knew they had till now. I never usually have to worry about it, as most trips I have access to a coffee pot. :D But this got me wondering if someone sells 'kits'? Where you could grind your own beans, and fix it into the like pouches they come in already. I assume it's like the tea bags. Or is there some sort of alteration done to make it in the configuration?

OK I checked out the French press thingy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_press Seems a popular device, but I've never tried. This trip I'm only traveling with a carry on. So I think I'll do the Starbucks singles, which I never even knew they had till now. I never usually have to worry about it, as most trips I have access to a coffee pot. :D But this got me wondering if someone sells 'kits'? Where you could grind your own beans, and fix it into the like pouches they come in already. I assume it's like the tea bags. Or is there some sort of alteration done to make it in the configuration?

I've used the tea bags when I go camping, and I thought the coffee was pretty good. But I'm not the pickiest coffee person. I actually don't mind the coffee on the ship (yeah, I know).:eek: But, my daughters, who will not drink my coffee at home would appreciate the French Press. I thought the coffee a the barista was reasonably priced, and my daughter thought it was good. So, get a French Press and you're covered. :D

The coffee from the cafe was really good, and was actually less expensive than the coffee we buy at our shops back home! The regular coffee wasn't that great, but we drank it some. THat travel french press mug looks awesome!

Archived