Am i the only one grossed out by robes in buffet line?

I'm not really sure how to reply to the OP.

1. I don't have an issue with wearing a bathrobe over your pj's for breakfast, or over your swimsuit when walking to the pool from your room.

2. I do find it kind of disturbing that someone would wear it over their birthday suit or their underwear and go out in public.

I am someone who believes in dressing appropriately not only for elegant night, but also for the other non-elegant evenings, so I am not totally in the "do whatever you want" corner.

Ahhh! The tacky robe surfaces. (This is a spa robe.. not the ones provided in all non-spa staterooms.)

IMG_0174-web.jpg

Clean, fresh out of the dryer.. it was so warm and comfy. As you can see, I am not a skinny chick... I think people would prefer seeing me walk back to my room in this than in some slinky little coverup or just my swimsuit. :cool:

I rarely see this, but it doesn't disturb me. I kinda chuckle to myself, but to each his own.

Ever since I read the post about someone finding skid marks in their robe (after they snuggled up to it on the bed) I wad mine up and stuff it in the bottom of the closet when I unpack. Now that is gross.

I rarely see this, but it doesn't disturb me. I kinda chuckle to myself, but to each his own.

Ever since I read the post about someone finding skid marks in their robe (after they snuggled up to it on the bed) I wad mine up and stuff it in the bottom of the closet when I unpack. Now that is gross.

You can't help but wonder if these stories people tell are even real or not. I've never used a robe from our stateroom and in all my cruises have never used a robe at all until this last one on the Dream (because we bought the spa VIP passes).

Since I've never taken one out of the room closet, I can't say whether or not they smelled clean or were clean. But they always look clean and the closet always smells like laundry soap when I open it.

The only robe I've used is from the spa. I mentioned this earlier but they have staff that come through with rolling laundry bins (it seems.. hourly)... and they clean the robes and towels out of the hampers. They bring fresh ones, folded and replace them in the bins. They smell heavenly and clean.

On the Dream, I wasn't in a spa room so I didn't have the spa robes in my room. I got it from the Spa.

On the Breeze in November, we will be in a spa cabin which will have the spa robes. But now, I have the heebie jeebies over whether or not the robes in a room are left there or cleaned. So, I'll still get a robe from the spa directly. Or, I'll just use my nice black one that I bring from home that zips up and down. :-) I prefer it anyway as the thought of my robe untying and exposing myself in any way terrifies me. lol

lol I actually got the ones I used dirty and wet right away so they put fresh ones in and then threw the ones I used in a puddle on the floor when I left :)

Everyone should do that. I checked, cause I always do, everything seemed clean to me. I wish they would get rid of the colored throw and pillows though...ick

lol I actually got the ones I used dirty and wet right away so they put fresh ones in and then threw the ones I used in a puddle on the floor when I left :)

Everyone should do that. I checked, cause I always do, everything seemed clean to me. I wish they would get rid of the colored throw and pillows though...ick

???? Our pillows always have white pillowcases on them. And we always have the white down comforters.

I am confused?

My girlfriend just brought up a really good point. Many people complain if they walk into a locker room and see stuff they don't wanna see (naked people changing). So for those peoples sake, I'll continue to throw my robe on that I brought from home (it's black and not terry cloth).... and I'll run back to my cabin and change in the privacy of my room. :-)

I think it's fine to wear a robe as a cover up on your way to the spa or pool. To me that's different from going to breakfast in your bathrobe.

I don't know why someone would object to seeing naked people getting dressed in the spa locker room - that's what it's for. :)

I think it's fine to wear a robe as a cover up on your way to the spa or pool. To me that's different from going to breakfast in your bathrobe.

I don't know why someone would object to seeing naked people getting dressed in the spa locker room - that's what it's for. :)

Haha.. I am not going to lie.. I am far from a Georgia peach but I've seen some things in the locker rooms that I wish my eyes could go back in time and not see. And I am not talking about large people.

But I would never go into that space and then be upset over it either..

And I also would never go to breakfast on a ship in my robe. Not to slam other that do it.. it's their choice and it won't put a damper on my cruise at all. But, if I am not ready to get dressed, I order room service.

waldo, I'm not supporting or discouraging either, to me it just doesn't matter.

I'm not being snarky or sarcastic, but why does it seem to matter so much what others are wearing? Does it really have an effect on your meal, and if so why? Just curious.

Carole

My original point here had to do with the notion that because someone is on vacation, all manners can go out the window. "My vacation I'll do whatever I want" seems alien to me. Not like one is on a deserted island, although I've done that. I think that a civilized society is not something to be thrown out casually.

But the issue about clothing is, I believe, valid. Dress people up and they act differently than they do in work clothes. Or play clothes. Dress kids up and they behave better. Same with adults. The food tastes the same, the entire experience may be very different. Just as it would be different if you were sitting with a group of young kids vs a group of adults. Food may taste just the same but the experience is different. Ambience is the word I am looking for.

In truth and in fact onboard these ships, it doesn't matter all that much to me since I am not expecting a lot. The "formality" of the dining room has a certain cartoon feeling to it, it does not feel serious, if that makes sense. They are trying to mimic the true formality of years past. When no man would be allowed in without a jacket and tie, and women were not allowed in in pants. But is a stage set.

I do rail about some of the informality which has permeated the US. Kids going to school in pjs and slippers drives me right round the bend. How are we going to expect themt to take learning seriously when they can't be bothered to comb their hair? To some degree I suppose it is an age thing.

PS For those who can't believe this thread- it is one which comes back ever year or so. There was a pretty much identical one a while ago started by someone who wanted approval to hang out on deck in the morning in her pajamas having coffee. The arguments were pretty much the same.

My original point here had to do with the notion that because someone is on vacation, all manners can go out the window. "My vacation I'll do whatever I want" seems alien to me. Not like one is on a deserted island, although I've done that. I think that a civilized society is not something to be thrown out casually.

But the issue about clothing is, I believe, valid. Dress people up and they act differently than they do in work clothes. Or play clothes. Dress kids up and they behave better. Same with adults. The food tastes the same, the entire experience may be very different. Just as it would be different if you were sitting with a group of young kids vs a group of adults. Food may taste just the same but the experience is different. Ambience is the word I am looking for.

In truth and in fact onboard these ships, it doesn't matter all that much to me since I am not expecting a lot. The "formality" of the dining room has a certain cartoon feeling to it, it does not feel serious, if that makes sense. They are trying to mimic the true formality of years past. When no man would be allowed in without a jacket and tie, and women were not allowed in in pants. But is a stage set.

I do rail about some of the informality which has permeated the US. Kids going to school in pjs and slippers drives me right round the bend. How are we going to expect themt to take learning seriously when they can't be bothered to comb their hair? To some degree I suppose it is an age thing.

This particular informality is in fact not American. In Europe it is acceptable and many of the people wearing their robes all around the ship are in fact European. It does not bother me.

When no man would be allowed in without a jacket and tie, and women were not allowed in in pants. But is a stage set.

I dress up for dinner and will wear a dress most formal nights. But if I don't feel like wearing a dress, I'll wear dressy pants with a very pretty top. I, for one, am glad women can wear pants now. To expect all women to wear dresses, skirts, etc. is just silly. And there are 5-7 days out of every month that I won't wear a dress no matter what. Sorry if that's TMI but it's the the truth. :-)

The fact of the matter IS that it IS my vacation. But it's also yours and his and hers. And the fact that some people are so concerned with what others wear and will label them for it is what angers me. I see women wearing mini dresses so short that you can see the dimple on the bottom of their butt cheeks to dinner on formal night and I shake my head and say "not my daughter". But, I get over it just as fast and don't think about it the next day or the next week or the next month and certainly don't feel motivated to start threads about it.

I see women wearing thongs that remind me of dental floss to the public swimming areas and I shake my head and think "how uncomfortable!" Lol... but again, don't let it affect my trip. I don't neccessarily want to see it but it doesn't hurt me in any way, so I deal with it and live my own life and make my vacation about what I want to get out of it instead of what other people are doing.

Ok I get what your saying, and I respect your view, but at the same time, and maybe because I work mental health, I will not allow what someone else chooses to put on, or in their bodies to ruin my good feelings on my vacation.

My biggest pet peeve is rudeness, as in no please, thank you, excuse me, pushing in front of others, these are the things I get upset about. And I'm trying to be the same with others rudeness, chalk it up to their own bad behavior and not let it effect me.

But I think my biggest point is, that only we allow ourselves to get upset by someone wearing something we deem inappropriate, different regions find different meanings to appropriate and inappropriate.

We live in a much different world than the one we grew up in, but again someone mentioned women in curlers, omg I remember that and cringe!!!

I think Carnival is much less formal, and I don't expect others to follow,and frankly I don't care. I go to my islands, dress in things that I feel appropriate (I've never worn jeans or shorts to the dining room) but I don't let others decisions in formal wear, or lack of, bother me, because truthfully it's not going to hurt them, only me for being upset by it.

I've watched parents let their kids do whatever the heck they want to, and the only reaction you will get out of me is "wow that poor kid is going to have a hard time in life because they'll never understand limits"

I love the overused term..............don't sweat the small stuff!!!

Carole

please stop wearing your robes in all the public places, esp. in the buffet line. i dont like seeing your hairy chest sticking out, or a hint that you have on no bra. it grosses me out~ am i the only one who thinks its gross? Before you leave your room, ask yourself:

what is a Robe? when should it be worn? do i look like i am too lazy to dress? am i going to a slumber party? am i an adult?

please. im just asking please. :eek:

Just curious, are you grossed out by hair on someones head? because if your not you have double standards.

???? Our pillows always have white pillowcases on them. And we always have the white down comforters.

I am confused?

On the Magic they have decorative pillows and throws on the beds and they stink and are dusty. You take them off, they put them back on lol

I'll freely admit to wearing my robe to the pool and back, like someone else mentioned they're terrycloth and absorb water so you're not dripping everywhere like most people do in normal coverups. The only other place I'd wear it is watching the late night movies out on lido... nothing like snuggling your hubby in a cozy robe & watching a scary movie under the stars!!

Oh, and obviously here was always something on under it. Usually I was covering up more clothing than those around me were wearing!

On the Magic they have decorative pillows and throws on the beds and they stink and are dusty. You take them off, they put them back on lol

I fold up the "as seen on 60 Minutes" germ packed comforter and put it in the drawer under the sofa or in a cupboard out of sight. I've never yet had a steward locate the nasty thing and put it back on the bed.

I suppose some people would be less inclined to walk around the ship in a robe if they knew about the skid mark story. There's another good reason to read these boards. :)

Ok I get what your saying, and I respect your view, but at the same time, and maybe because I work mental health, I will not allow what someone else chooses to put on, or in their bodies to ruin my good feelings on my vacation....

Carole

Well- not entirely sure what it has to do with working in MH (I did for nearly 40 years) but I'm sorry if I gave anyone the notion that it ruins my feelings on vacation- Does it lower my expectations of shipboard life? Sure. But I know exactly what I am getting into and what to expect fefore I book. And I have teenagers- they push the envelope on what is acceptable all the time!

The only time I have ever gotten upset onboard was when some women started yelling at me because I was rude enough to ask these people trying to shove themselves onto an elevator to wait until a woman in a wheelchair, who had been waiting far longer than they had, was able to get on. I stepped in half way to make sure the door didn't close as she was getting in and these women started on me about stopping them and getting on myself. That pissed me off hugely. People running around looking tacky? Hey, I've been into a Walmart or two!

The only other place I'd wear it is watching the late night movies out on lido... nothing like snuggling your hubby in a cozy robe & watching a scary movie under the stars!!

!

Oh no! You just mentioned something that made me think of something that is going to make me seem even tackier than I already seem for wearing my robe to and from the spa!

On our cruise on the Dream, there was a movie late one night on the lido and I wanted to watch it. But it had been raining that day and it was reaaaally cold that night. I had on socks, the thickest pants I'd brought with me, a mid sleeve shirt (longest sleeves I'd brought) and my thin jacket. All the warmest clothes I had but I was still freezing. My teeth were chattering but I was stubborn and didn't want to go back to the room and miss the movie.

So my gf went back to the room and got our extra down comforter and brought it out and we stretched it across both of our chairs. I warmed up right away. Other people around us were also freezing and shivering and started making comments about how smart that was for us to get our comforter and bring it out to stay warm. I guess the moral of this story is that I'd rather be known for being tacky than to be sick. :-)

The only time I have ever gotten upset onboard was when some women started yelling at me because I was rude enough to ask these people trying to shove themselves onto an elevator to wait until a woman in a wheelchair, who had been waiting far longer than they had, was able to get on. I stepped in half way to make sure the door didn't close as she was getting in and these women started on me about stopping them and getting on myself. That pissed me off hugely. !

I JUST had a conversation with another CC member (Tricia) on the phone like 2 days ago where I mentioned to her that this is one of my hugest pet peeves is people not having any respect for the disabled passengers.

Latanya and I had waited nearly 20 minutes after the muster drill on the Dream to catch an elevator. They were all full when they opened up and occasionally there would be an open spot and someone that had JUST got there would run and push everyone else that had been waiting and snag the open space.

Finally, we were in front of a line to get on and a door opened and there were 2 open spaces. But I noticed that there was a person in a wheelchair and another person with a cane that was wobbling around that had just come up. So even though we'd been waiting 20 minutes, I told them to go in front of us. So these 2 other people that had just come up decided that it was a free for all since Latanya and I weren't taking the spaces and they jumped in front of the disabled people and one of them even grabbed the cane of the old man. It took everything inside me not to punch his lights out but I was very vocal and told them I gave my spot up for the disabled and demanded they get off of the elevator and stop pushing. They refused and ultimately, 2 other passengers on the elevator decided to get off and take the stairs the rest of the way up so the disabled passengers could fit.

Latanya and I had to wait another 20 minutes before we were able to actually get an elevator. I have a bad knee and cannot make it up that many stairs without being in agony. But I didn't mind waiting longer so that someone in worse shape than myself wouldn't have to.

But that kind of behavior absolutely ticks me off every single time. That is rude. That is lacking of class.

I JUST had a conversation with another CC member (Tricia) on the phone like 2 days ago where I mentioned to her that this is one of my hugest pet peeves is people not having any respect for the disabled passengers.

Latanya and I had waited nearly 20 minutes after the muster drill on the Dream to catch an elevator. They were all full when they opened up and occasionally there would be an open spot and someone that had JUST got there would run and push everyone else that had been waiting and snag the open space.

Finally, we were in front of a line to get on and a door opened and there were 2 open spaces. But I noticed that there was a person in a wheelchair and another person with a cane that was wobbling around that had just come up. So even though we'd been waiting 20 minutes, I told them to go in front of us. So these 2 other people that had just come up decided that it was a free for all since Latanya and I weren't taking the spaces and they jumped in front of the disabled people and one of them even grabbed the cane of the old man. It took everything inside me not to punch his lights out but I was very vocal and told them I gave my spot up for the disabled and demanded they get off of the elevator and stop pushing. They refused and ultimately, 2 other passengers on the elevator decided to get off and take the stairs the rest of the way up so the disabled passengers could fit.

Latanya and I had to wait another 20 minutes before we were able to actually get an elevator. I have a bad knee and cannot make it up that many stairs without being in agony. But I didn't mind waiting longer so that someone in worse shape than myself wouldn't have to.

But that kind of behavior absolutely ticks me off every single time. That is rude. That is lacking of class.

My grandma would have beat anyone who had the audacity to grab her cane with it. That is so wrong.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Archived