Am i the only one grossed out by robes in buffet line?

To my mind it has nothing whatsoever to do with what is covered or not or hygenic or not. If that was the bottom line we could all just grab clean sheets and wrap them around us, or clean blankets. Covers everything up nicely.

I don't wear my bra and panties to the swimming pool not because they don't cover just what my bathing suit covers but rather because as a society, at one time anyway, they were considered underclothes. I don't wear my fancy party dresses to bike races, nor my workout clothes to church. After grubbing around cleaning the oven, I get cleaned up before going out to dinner and put on clothing that is appropriate to the situation. This appears to be a notion that many wish to toss out as dated. PJs are what you wear to bed, or hanging around in your own home. Fuzzy slippers are for walking around the house. These are apparently old fashioned notions that many find to be out dated. But what you wear does influence how you act. Just as your surroundings influence your behavior. Playgrounds invite running around and loud voices. Formal dining rooms bring out more formal manners and subdued voices.

Very well said. My DW and I enjoy people watching and the more characters the better. So this wont make my food taste any different or take away my appetite. Just gives us more to laugh and talk about.

I don't understand. People are outraged that people are at the buffet in their swim wear because they're not covered. So they want them dressed.

But people also are unhappy when people come in robes, which covers a lot more than a tank top and shorts....

I don't get it?

Maybe I have a high tolerance but another person has never grossed me out to the point I can't eat, then again I can talk about exposed brains, rotting feet and vomiting fecal matter over dinner... So again, maybe I have a high tolerance.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Tricia you're taking your work WAY too seriously...lol

I'm mostly oblivious to what people wear unless it's a man in a tux on formal night...so nice. But seeing thongs, male or female, in the breakfast buffet line with no coverup feels a little uncomfortable and a robe would be welcome. But it's probably just jealousy cause I can't wear one.:)

This thread is cracking me up. Thanks for the laughs everyone!

To my mind it has nothing whatsoever to do with what is covered or not or hygenic or not. If that was the bottom line we could all just grab clean sheets and wrap them around us, or clean blankets. Covers everything up nicely.

I don't wear my bra and panties to the swimming pool not because they don't cover just what my bathing suit covers but rather because as a society, at one time anyway, they were considered underclothes. I don't wear my fancy party dresses to bike races, nor my workout clothes to church. After grubbing around cleaning the oven, I get cleaned up before going out to dinner and put on clothing that is appropriate to the situation. This appears to be a notion that many wish to toss out as dated. PJs are what you wear to bed, or hanging around in your own home. Fuzzy slippers are for walking around the house. These are apparently old fashioned notions that many find to be out dated. But what you wear does influence how you act. Just as your surroundings influence your behavior. Playgrounds invite running around and loud voices. Formal dining rooms bring out more formal manners and subdued voices.

I agree........looks tacky. Just like when I was a kid you would go to a store and see a lady with curlers in her hair?:rolleyes:

i started this thread to examine wether or not i was the only one who found it gross, strange, lazy... whatever.. to wear your bath robe around the cruise ship. what i have learned from this:

*People have different deffinitions as to what a bath robe is for

*There were some good points brought out as far as wearing a robe to the spa. I feel that is okay to do, and that doesnt bother me. also, doesnt bother me as much when its 7am... but i still stand to say that if its 2 pm? why havent you put on clothes?

*Also, wal-mart and even the dollar store sells cheap cover ups for the swim suite, so not sure why people are using robes in place of a cover up?

*To me, and to others, a bath robe is a glorified towel.

whatever you decide to do on the cruise that we share, i will smile and wave to you, and not worry about what you have on. it wont affect my trip, nor my families.

JUST WANTED TO GIVE YOU SOME THINGS TO THINK ON, AND SEEING THE AMOUNT OF RESPONSES, I FEEL THAT I DID THAT.

*People have different definitions as to what a bath robe is for

i think people are confusing bath robes with house robes. the staterooms have bath robes, and should never be seen in public.

not sure how many people even have house robes any more, but were worn over your clothes or pj's in the evening or the morning.

then there were those matching tops to mens bathing suits. haven't seen those in years.

Wow, in all my cruises I have never seen this. :confused:

please stop wearing your robes in all the public places, esp. in the buffet line. i dont like seeing your hairy chest sticking out, or a hint that you have on no bra. it grosses me out~ am i the only one who thinks its gross? Before you leave your room, ask yourself:

what is a Robe? when should it be worn? do i look like i am too lazy to dress? am i going to a slumber party? am i an adult?

please. im just asking please. :eek:

Would rather see someone in a bathrobe than in their bathing suits, espcially in the buffet - well....there ARE some exceptions to that rule, lol! ;)

However, as a previous poster stated - I will notice what others are wearing. Does it bother me? Not really.

There are some people that have no business wearing that bikini or speedo but they do. Again - does it bother me? Not really.

Or more importantly, how does it affect me?? I may have my opinions about them but in reality it doesn't really affect me that much, if at all - unless I let it. Than it becomes my problem.

JMHO and YMMV.......

Would rather see someone in a bathrobe than in their bathing suits, espcially in the buffet - well....there ARE some exceptions to that rule, lol! ;)

However, as a previous poster stated - I will notice what others are wearing. Does it bother me? Not really.

There are some people that have no business wearing that bikini or speedo but they do. Again - does it bother me? Not really.

Or more importantly, how does it affect me?? I may have my opinions about them but in reality it doesn't really affect me that much, if at all - unless I let it. Than it becomes my problem.

JMHO and YMMV.......

Your screen name for some reason just made me think about Hugh Heffner and his smoking jacket.... errrr.... glorified upscale robe.... (Which I happen to have a replica of and have used for Halloween in the past). :D I love that thing.

Do those of you that use the pool/hot tubs/spa and insist you won't leave your room in a robe go to the area fully clothed and take your clothes off when you get there?

And when you're soaking wet afterwards, do you put your clothes back on and get them wet to walk back to your stateroom? Or do you throw on a towel and go?

I know some people will say they lay in the sun and dry off. I don't like to do this because I burn badly. And if you're at the spa... and you're drenched from using the pool or the steam room with no way to dry off.. what do you do then?

My girlfriend just brought up a really good point. Many people complain if they walk into a locker room and see stuff they don't wanna see (naked people changing). So for those peoples sake, I'll continue to throw my robe on that I brought from home (it's black and not terry cloth).... and I'll run back to my cabin and change in the privacy of my room. :-)

What I find rather amusing is that on CC you can get a huge thread going in support (largely) of wearing bathrobes around the ship and not wearing truly formal wear on "elegant" night. Two distinct groups of people or all the same. Only you all know.

i think people are confusing bath robes with house robes. the staterooms have bath robes, and should never be seen in public.

not sure how many people even have house robes any more, but were worn over your clothes or pj's in the evening or the morning.

then there were those matching tops to mens bathing suits. haven't seen those in years.

LOL I haven't seen these in years either. Just like the leisure suits.:eek:

I 100% agree!

What I find rather amusing is that on CC you can get a huge thread going in support (largely) of wearing bathrobes around the ship and not wearing truly formal wear on "elegant" night. Two distinct groups of people or all the same. Only you all know.

waldo, I'm not supporting or discouraging either, to me it just doesn't matter.

I'm not being snarky or sarcastic, but why does it seem to matter so much what others are wearing? Does it really have an effect on your meal, and if so why? Just curious.

Carole

I agree........looks tacky. Just like when I was a kid you would go to a store and see a lady with curlers in her hair?:rolleyes:

I remember those days LOL.

So true.

Just to put my 5 cents in. I hate it that they have the hot tubs on the Magic and Dream by Ocean Plaza. Now not only the Lido but also Ocean Plaza.People sitting down and having sushi in their robes and wet swimsuits underneath making the chairs wet.

I quit paying attention to what other people were wearing when I became an adult.

Unless someone is psychically assaulting me what they do or wear is none of my business.

Perhaps when you see things that "Gross you out" try not looking you would be amazed at how simple life becomes when you do not muck up your brain with such silly things like what someone else is wearing.

In other words mind your own business.

My sentiments exactly!

please stop wearing your robes in all the public places, esp. in the buffet line. i dont like seeing your hairy chest sticking out, or a hint that you have on no bra. it grosses me out~ am i the only one who thinks its gross? Before you leave your room, ask yourself:

what is a Robe? when should it be worn? do i look like i am too lazy to dress? am i going to a slumber party? am i an adult?

please. im just asking please. :eek:

One time, I forgot to pack a swimsuit cover-up and I wore my robe from the cabin to the deck chair to lay out. When I was done, I wore it back to the cabin. People were staring at me as if I was wearing some kind of insulting, graphic, rude piece of clothing. Sheesh!

I will probably get flamed for this:eek: but here goes-

I really don't let what others are wearing or doing for that matter affect my vacation experience. With that said, I will forever be baffled by the mentality of "it's my vacation so I will do whatever the hell I want to". I just don't understand this at ALL!!! Yes, it's your vacation and yes, you paid good money, but does that really give you the right to do anything and everything with no common courtesy to your fellow cruisers? I am sorry, but I don't think so. Manners, and just basic common courtesy are so out the window anymore....again, just my opinion.

Vicki

Your screen name for some reason just made me think about Hugh Heffner and his smoking jacket.... errrr.... glorified upscale robe.... (Which I happen to have a replica of and have used for Halloween in the past). :D I love that thing.

Do those of you that use the pool/hot tubs/spa and insist you won't leave your room in a robe go to the area fully clothed and take your clothes off when you get there?

And when you're soaking wet afterwards, do you put your clothes back on and get them wet to walk back to your stateroom? Or do you throw on a towel and go?

I know some people will say they lay in the sun and dry off. I don't like to do this because I burn badly. And if you're at the spa... and you're drenched from using the pool or the steam room with no way to dry off.. what do you do then?

My girlfriend just brought up a really good point. Many people complain if they walk into a locker room and see stuff they don't wanna see (naked people changing). So for those peoples sake, I'll continue to throw my robe on that I brought from home (it's black and not terry cloth).... and I'll run back to my cabin and change in the privacy of my room. :-)

hmmm.... do you take your robe to the city pool? STILL not understanding this. im trying, i am. they make terry cloth velcro cover ups that are more appropriate poolside. they look like a sundress, not a bath robe. i dont get it.

i think people are confusing bath robes with house robes. The staterooms have bath robes, and should never be seen in public.

Not sure how many people even have house robes any more, but were worn over your clothes or pj's in the evening or the morning.

Then there were those matching tops to mens bathing suits. Haven't seen those in years.

agree!

hmmm.... do you take your robe to the city pool? STILL not understanding this. im trying, i am. they make terry cloth velcro cover ups that are more appropriate poolside. they look like a sundress, not a bath robe. i dont get it.

I wear my swimsuit with a cover up to my neighborhood pool. And when I'm wet and walking back to my house, I put my towel over me and my swimsuit so I don't drip water everywhere. I live in an upscale neighborhood and 90% of the people that go to our pool do the same thing or a robe. We're not classless people because we're covering up and trying not to get everything soaked

When you get out of a pool, dripping wet and just put a cover up on, you soak through it (which not only looks bad) but has zero functionality at keeping everything around you dry as you walk.

Again, the spa personnel encourages you to wear your robe and swimwear to and from their facilities. And a good percentage of the people do just that. I'm a germaphobe. I carry Lysol wipes and clean public toilets before I use them and I have to be desparate to use them. I don't want to change clothes in a bathroom stall of a spa where god knows what is on the floor. Plus I'm fluffy and small bathroom spaces don't accomodate me changing very well. I don't want to change openly in the locker room because I'm modest. So I throw my robe on when I'm wet and go straight to my cabin to change.

Archived