Is the Allure or Oasis worth the extra $$?

gohuskies

I love RCCL (EOS and MOS) but over the last few years, the price compared to Carnival has really gone up. We tried the Carnival Pride for Mexico and was happy with the ship. We want to leave out of south Florida and the Allure and Oasis look amazing. The price in June compared to Carnival Valor is $2500 more for a family of 4 for a balcony cabin. Ouch! What do you think?

We've sailed the Oasis/Allure 4 times and did a B2B on the Freedom two months ago. The Freedom of the Seas is a wonderful ship and has one more port than Allure/Oasis. However, while on the Freedom we remarked remarked every day that we missed being on the Oasis or Allure because of the fantastic options.

I noticed you wanted a balcony, why don't you book the "freedom or liberty" like other people suggested, OR maybe get an inside instead of a balcony that you mentioned, the ship is so big that you probably won't spend much time in it, you'll love RCCL

I think that if you go between June and mid-August you will be paying peak prices for Oasis or Allure. If you haven't done Freedom class I would look at that as prices will probably be better.

ps $2500 is a lot of money.

I love RCCL (EOS and MOS) but over the last few years, the price compared to Carnival has really gone up. We tried the Carnival Pride for Mexico and was happy with the ship. We want to leave out of south Florida and the Allure and Oasis look amazing. The price in June compared to Carnival Valor is $2500 more for a family of 4 for a balcony cabin. Ouch! What do you think?

I hate to sound cliche...but with Oasis/Allure you get what you pay for. Also a number of people who frequently post on CC how expensive Oasis/Allure are and that they aren't worth it have never actually even been on the ships;)Think of the difference between a luxury resort and a Holiday Inn Express....if staying at either doesn't make much of a difference to you than you probably wouldn't feel Oasis class is worth it....but if staying at a nice resort makes your vacation that much better then you will feel the extra money very well spent.

Carnival doesn't have a ship in the fleet that comes close to holding a candle to Oasis/Allure.

We've sailed the Oasis/Allure 4 times and did a B2B on the Freedom two months ago. The Freedom of the Seas is a wonderful ship and has one more port than Allure/Oasis. However, while on the Freedom we remarked remarked every day that we missed being on the Oasis or Allure because of the fantastic options.

Been there...know exactly what you are talking about.....while Freedom class is great....once you have been on Oasis class you can't help but compare the two....Oasis class just offers so much in entertainment, restaurant choice, activities...ect...ect that it's hard not to miss some of them once you try to sail anything else....remarkable ships.

YES!

We have sailed multiple times on Carnival. They do deliver an enjoyable cruise experience at usually very affordable prices, but the experience PALES in comparison to a cruise aboard the Allure. As someone mentioned above, you'll get what you pay for.

Allure/Oasis is something that you need to try at least once. Last year, we sailed on both the Allure and the Carnival Dream. While we had a great time on both, they are VERY different experiences. Carnival Dream was more of a "That was nice" kind of cruise. Allure of the Seas was more of a "WOW, this is incredible!AMAZING! I can't stop talking about it weeks/months after I came home!!" kind of cruise.

If you want to get a feel for how the Allure compares to a Carnival cruise, take a moment and read my reviews below my signature. Hope they are helpful.

If you can afford the extra $$'s I would do the Oasis class. They are amazing ships!! It has been the only 7 day cruise that we never set foot in the Windjammer and never missed it. So many other options to eat at, that is no additional charge. What ever you decide enjoy your cruise vacation!!

Also a number of people who frequently post on CC how expensive Oasis/Allure are and that they aren't worth it have never actually even been on the ships;)

Think of the difference between a luxury resort and a Holiday Inn Express....if staying at either doesn't make much of a difference to you than you probably wouldn't feel Oasis class is worth it....but if staying at a nice resort makes your vacation that much better then you will feel the extra money very well spent.

Steve- I don't think I have ever said that Oasis/Allure 'aren't worth it'. I am adding to the discussion from a value perspective and here, $2500 is certainly 'a lot of money' to most people.

I realize that you and I have different standards of what is enjoyable. From your postings, you seem to require higher end facilities to be happy, while I can be happier at a lower price point; I typically look for 'value' over 'wow'. That being said, I don't think I would be happy on an older ship such as Monarch and therefore I don't book it.

It's just a different perspective, and I don't feel the need to comment on your posts in order to make my perspective seem any more valid. I am going on Allure this July, and I am sure I will have a good time, but I am pretty sure that afterwards, I will continue to give people the value/pricing advice that is typical of my posts.

As it is, I have booked and cancelled this (Allure)cruise a few times as I felt that the price/value was not where I wanted it to be. Eventually, I decided that I would forego my usual JS/GS booking in order to sail at a price point that I think still has value. I am lucky that I can make this decision, as I know that some people cannot easily afford even that D price point. As such, *when people ask*, I typically recommend additional options, and sympathize with others that a $2500 difference is in fact, 'a lot of money'. I am not denigrating or criticizing, I am only empathizing.

I know you love Oasis and Allure, but, as many other posters have pointed out, it is not for everyone. Just as Brilliance or Ex are not for everyone. When I post my opinions and experience, it is in the hope that I have provided a perspective that is relatable and useful to many people besides the OP. I typically don't gush, but I don't harshly criticize, either. I try to be helpful.

Steve- I don't think I have ever said that Oasis/Allure 'aren't worth it'. I am adding to the discussion from a value perspective and here, $2500 is certainly 'a lot of money' to most people.

I realize that you and I have different standards of what is enjoyable. From your postings, you seem to require higher end facilities to be happy, while I can be happier at a lower price point; I typically look for 'value' over 'wow'. That being said, I don't think I would be happy on an older ship such as Monarch and therefore I don't book it.

It's just a different perspective, and I don't feel the need to comment on your posts in order to make my perspective seem any more valid. I am going on Allure this July, and I am sure I will have a good time, but I am pretty sure that afterwards, I will continue to give people the value/pricing advice that is typical of my posts.

As it is, I have booked and cancelled this (Allure)cruise a few times as I felt that the price/value was not where I wanted it to be. Eventually, I decided that I would forego my usual JS/GS booking in order to sail at a price point that I think still has value. I am lucky that I can make this decision, as I know that some people cannot easily afford even that D price point. As such, *when people ask*, I typically recommend additional options, and sympathize with others that a $2500 difference is in fact, 'a lot of money'. I am not denigrating or criticizing, I am only empathizing.

I know you love Oasis and Allure, but, as many other posters have pointed out, it is not for everyone. Just as Brilliance or Ex are not for everyone. When I post my opinions and experience, it is in the hope that I have provided a perspective that is relatable and useful to many people besides the OP. I typically don't gush, but I don't harshly criticize, either. I try to be helpful.

I don't believe I quoted you in my post Marci:confused:not sure why you feel my comment was a personal attack on you.

Also a number of people who frequently post on CC how expensive Oasis/Allure are and that they aren't worth it have never actually even been on the ships;)

I don't believe I quoted you in my post Marci:confused:not sure why you feel my comment was a personal attack on you.

I realize you said 'a number of people' here, but there aren't too many other posters on this thread that this remark would apply to. It seemed my earlier post prompted this one; sorry if it didn't.

IMHO yes it is worth it but price is not our first consideration when choosing a cruise. The two Oasis class ships are in a class by themselves. I think that you get what you pay for. Carnival is less expensive for a reason and I will leave it at that. While the Freedom is a nice ship, we felt a little bored on a seven night cruise after cruising on the Oasis twice. We missed the entertainment and dining options that the Oasis class offer.

I hate to sound cliche...but with Oasis/Allure you get what you pay for. Also a number of people who frequently post on CC how expensive Oasis/Allure are and that they aren't worth it have never actually even been on the ships;)Think of the difference between a luxury resort and a Holiday Inn Express....if staying at either doesn't make much of a difference to you than you probably wouldn't feel Oasis class is worth it....but if staying at a nice resort makes your vacation that much better then you will feel the extra money very well spent.

Carnival doesn't have a ship in the fleet that comes close to holding a candle to Oasis/Allure.

Been there...know exactly what you are talking about.....while Freedom class is great....once you have been on Oasis class you can't help but compare the two....Oasis class just offers so much in entertainment, restaurant choice, activities...ect...ect that it's hard not to miss some of them once you try to sail anything else....remarkable ships.

I agree 100% with you Steve on the above comments.

I realize you said 'a number of people' here, but there aren't too many other posters on this thread that this remark would apply to. It seemed my earlier post prompted this one; sorry if it didn't.

I never made reference specifically to this thread...but no worries:)

My first cruise was Carnival Pride to the Bahamas two years ago. Having nothing to compare it with, we had a GREAT time and met some wonderful people. I think the people made the cruise. It was so good that we decided to make the leap to Oasis. OMG! What a leap! My mouth literally dropped open as we boarded. Oasis is an experience! There was so much more to do than on Carnival. The Solarium was a delight to escape in an adults' only area. I am not a buffet fan so the dining options were amazing, and many were complimentary during the day.

The decor on the Pride was very garish, in my opinion. Who would decorate a ship going to Bahamas in Renaissance. It was dark and depressing. The Oasis was elegant and fun.

Price wise, we paid $100 more for our cruise on Oasis! Once home, I booked Oasis again for Sept 15 and again, through the WOW sale, was able to pay $100 more than Carnival for a balcony.

For me, there is NO comparison between Carnival and Oasis

I just got off the Carnival Magic. We sailed the Allure, in March 2011 and will sail on the Oasis in March 2012. My next one will likely be the Carnival Breeze.

The truth is, I loved the Allure and I loved the Magic.

I can and will sail either line, depending on who is going, and my finances. The itinerary plays a role too. Allure and Oasis are pretty limited to the ports they can call.

In fact my plans for the Oasis in March are to pretty much stay on the ship and enjoy what it has to offer and not focus on shore excursions so much.

The entertainment on the Allure was second to none, but I loved the water slides and the rope course on the Magic. The food is very comparable.

I always book a balcony and nothing has ever compared to the new COVE balconys on the Magic. In fact I know when I get on the Oasis in March I am going to miss being so close to the water.

When I was on the Magic, I kept saying the size difference was hardly noticeable.

I do love the feature on the Oasis and the Allure of being able to pre-book your entertainment.

Karen

I'm a little confused as to how this is assumed to be addressed to you personally. I read it and it made perfect sense to me. But maybe that's because I am also the type that will pay the extra to stay at a Hilton brand (especially Homewood Suites or Garden Inn) versus the Holiday Inn or Motel 6.

You don't need to defend appreciating a lower service in exchange for the price point. Every person needs to determine where their line is between value versus service, there is nothing wrong with deciding you'd be happier saving money than getting a higher level of service. That's why their are different tiers in most things such as cars, houses, computers, watches/jewelry, food, etc. Some people own Ford Focuses and others own a Lexus. When I say I want a burger, McDonalds is never even a choice or consideration, I'm talking Red Robin or something similar at a minimum. But yet I still appreciate fried spam with mac & cheese for dinner sometimes. :D

Just because you have a different perspective doesn't mean you have to defend it against others perspectives. It's exactly that, another opinion and point of view for people to take into consideration. No one questioned your personal choice, they only tried to qualify it in relationship to theirs to create a better perspective for others.

Let me provide an opposing viewpoint. I am one of those who cruises more frugally. I am happy in an inside room. The quiet places on deck are fine for me. To give you a perspective, I have booked a 7-night cruise for 4 people on the NOS for less than just the $2500 difference you are talking about. I have not sailed the Oasis class. I have sailed the Freedom class. IMHO every ship we have been on has been fun with plenty to do. I do plan to try Oasis clas at some point. But there are plenty of wonderful options without paying the premium price. In some cases you get what you pay for. In other cases, you are just paying a premium price for new.

Try going more 'off season' like in October, November, we've always cruised during hurricane season and have never had problems yet...the savings is worth it, and also there are fewer kids on board than when school is out. We loved the Freedom, but are looking forward to Allure in October, and as one has already said, you get what you pay for...

I love the diverse community on Cruisecritic - so many different opinions. Thank you for the ideas, but our schedule with kids sports only allows us to travel in June. We want to travel to the Keys post cruise, so I want to leave from Miami. My only requirement is a balcony. I am going to wait and see what the prices do.

Archived