Males giving massages

Surfguyxxx

I have saved quite abundle on my onboard accounts since the last several cruises on RCI, X and Azamara have only had female therapists.

Really do miss those at sea massages though. So relaxing.....

TnT

So, who thinks that the massage company's on the ships should hire men/boys to give massages? No offense ladies!

People from Steiner told me they got rid of male masseurs as just didn't have demand for them since Str8 guys wanted women, and women wanted women

People from Steiner told me they got rid of male masseurs as just didn't have demand for them since Str8 guys wanted women, and women wanted women

Interesting. We asked why and were told a very vague "there had been complaints."

Well they still have them on Disney. Maybe they are the only ones.

Wondering that, too...

We had males on Princess a few years back...

Doesn't bother me one way or the other....just love my massages!

Me too. Have to admit to a little massage sexism on my part. We were in Rehoboth Beach last year and I was assigned a female MT and I thought, "ugh." Turns out it was one of the best massages ever!

I had my first massage ever on Allure. The therapist's name was Wendy from the UK. She was nice and it was ok. Nothing to really write home about. I chose the 75-minute hot stone massage. I think my 75 minutes included the detox sales pitch. My partner said I should have chosen the deep tissue. I don't really have a preference of a male or female therapist. I just think they need to be strong.

So, who thinks that the massage company's on the ships should hire men/boys to give massages? No offense ladies!

Meh.

The best massage I ever had I got from a Filipino woman who was about as big as your thumb but packed the power of Muhammad Ali....

Since I almost always have my eyes closed (and you can't see the massage person anyway when you're on your tummy with your face in the little doughnut), this makes no difference to me.

Oh, and the "boys" thing......pretty creepy.

Edited by GaNavy

When Celebrity had male masseurs a few years back, had this one guy who told me he was the highest rated handball player in Romania (I think). He was drop dead gorgeous, so even though his massage was probably just above average, it felt superb at the time.

Recently though was on the Century and remembered the spa manager from another cruise , she suggested I try Jessica (a blonde girl from the U, probably late 20's maybe). She called her the Queen of deep tissue.

She was right, it probably was the best deep tissue I ever had. Deep tissue is generally more expensive since it much more work for the massage therapist. Swedish is like a light rub, hot stone or bamboo are nice, but nothing compares to deep tissue to really get at the muscle

We were surprised at the "policy" change on our RCI cruise on Navigator in November. On both of our previous cruises, they had male therapists.

When we went to book our massages upon boarding, we overheard the spa rep explain to the couple in front of us that they no longer hire male therapists. The husband explained he had a massage recently on another ship and she stated there are a few left "grandfathered" in; however, they are no longer hiring males. (The wife booked her massage, but the husband passed.)

I don't see how they can flat out refuse to hire a male, if they are otherwise qualified to perform the job?

I don't see how they can flat out refuse to hire a male, if they are otherwise qualified to perform the job?

That would be true....IF the ship was registered in the US...the cruise line would be bound by American law.

But the big ships (including RCI and X) are all registered in places like Panama or Liberia or the Bahamas...and those countries might not have the same non-discrimination rules.

The fact that the ship sails out of an American port makes no difference.

That would be true....IF the ship was registered in the US...the cruise line would be bound by American law.

But the big ships (including RCI and X) are all registered in places like Panama or Liberia or the Bahamas...and those countries might not have the same non-discrimination rules.

The fact that the ship sails out of an American port makes no difference.

Lots of spas in the US employ only men or women. I can't imagine they can be required to mix it up by law.

I'm also curious if accomodations are made depending upon the booking. I recall on a prior cruise, the therapist mentioning they realigned several therapists to one of charters for the week (switching some of the females for males). After the cruse, they went back to their usual ships. Does anyone know if the recent Atlantis cruise on Allure had male therapists?

Also, on a separate thread ("Massuers on Board" - link below), there was discussion of Seabourn and Serenity having good therapists. It would be interesting to know which lines do and don't employ male therapists.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1503480

I'm also curious if accomodations are made depending upon the booking. I recall on a prior cruise, the therapist mentioning they realigned several therapists to one of charters for the week (switching some of the females for males). After the cruse, they went back to their usual ships. Does anyone know if the recent Atlantis cruise on Allure had male therapists?

Also, on a separate thread ("Massuers on Board" - link below), there was discussion of Seabourn and Serenity having good therapists. It would be interesting to know which lines do and don't employ male therapists.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1503480

I was on the Jan 29 Atlantis cruise and had a female massage therapist as did my partner on all of his massages. I read somewhere that at one time they moved the therapists around for a charter, but I don't know which one.

The best massage I ever had was on the Carnival Glory and was done by a filipino woman named Lita. I'll never forget her! She was 4'11 and maybe 100lbs and good lord, she was strong! I never felt so relaxed! So I agree with others that it doesn't matter if the massage therapist is a man or a woman. It's the quality that counts! On Navigator, I had a therapist named Tommy from Germany! Man, he was a big guy with big soft hands! Loved it! :D

I've been on several lines and never once seen a male massage therapist. I've had nothing but mediocre to bad experiences with female therapists in spas, etc... This is usually because they've hired a cute little 98 lb girl when they probably should have hired Brunhilda the Muscle Terminator. That said, my male therapists have all had the strength and stamina to do the job as well as the comfort level to do a thorough one. Let's face it, you're not getting a complete massage if a huge chunk of your musculature is "draped" with 13.7 yards of fabric.

Meh.

The best massage I ever had I got from a Filipino woman who was about as big as your thumb but packed the power of Muhammad Ali....

Since I almost always have my eyes closed (and you can't see the massage person anyway when you're on your tummy with your face in the little doughnut), this makes no difference to me.

The best massage of "another kind" i got was by a similar tiny Asian lady too (totally unexpected .. and much to my surprise). ;)