Packing for long cruises.

mearsfansinboise

Forgive me for another ding-dong question....and thanks in advance to those who indulge me....

How much do people pack for long cruises? 16 days is a long time for us...and 2 kids. And we'll have a hotel stay the night before. So 17 days is what we need to pack for. I have read that we can send the clothes off to be laundered on the Oosterdam, but I have also read that they use really hot water which I am not OK with on our clothes...the kids' it might be OK. And then I was thinking I could do some laundry in the sink and hang it on the shower - sorry, is that ghetto? We aren't milionaires ;) I just can't seem to wrap my head around the volume of luggage...do people re-wear clothes and Febreeze it all to freshen it up or what?

When we take cruises longer than 2 weeks, I figure on clothes for 7 days and then have them laundered, using the bag special price since it's much cheaper than individual clothing laundry prices. I've never had trouble with clothes washed in the ship's laundry. However, I've also been known to handwash a few delicates in the bathroom sink and hang them on the shower line. I do this especially for hubby's compression socks and my bra's.

I pack mix n match tops/bottoms so yes I wear them more than once before laundering. I bring two different sequin tops for formal nights to wear with black palazzo slacks; hubby has two formal shirts so his can be laundered after one wearing -- the ship laundry does an excellent job.

last year we did a 7 day Alaska cruise plus a 7 day land vacation pre cruise so we were gone from home 15 full days by the time we got home. "We" are a family of 4 including at the time a 7 year old boy and 10 year old girl. I had to back 2 seasons plus formal wear and we were in an inside cabin.

We brought two big suitcases, one of which was packed with just formal wear and cold weather clothes and did not get opened until the cruise. We each had a carry on (backpacks for the kids the wheeled one for DH and I) I packed 5 summer outfits each for the kids in zip lock bags plus 2 with pants. They wore jeans on the plane with running shoes. We bought a heavy sweatshirt each the week before the cruise.

Everything fit in the room without much trouble by using the drawers under the beds for the kids. We had room we didn't use believe it or not. I would do the same for a longer cruise. We used the ship's laundry once for the kids clothes and some of our stuff I put in the dryer at home. almost everything of our son's went to the laundry, even his underwear, and all came back nice and folded.

It would seem that there are so many opinions here that there is no hard and fast answer--or right/wrong answer. Everyone should do what makes them personally feel comfortable with regard to the laundry and the amount of clothing taken on a cruise. Some people like to take their good clothing, some like to take things they don't care about one way or another. It is all good, just as long as you enjoy your cruise.

I would not be critical of the person who travels for 2 weeks with just a carryon (might marvel, but not deride) but by the same token I would not expect to be ridiculed for travelling with a great deal of luggage. It makes me happy and doesn't hurt anyone so where's the harm?

The ship's laundry is a bargain. I send everything except my bras, nylon nightgowns and anything that says "dry flat or hang to dry". We have never had any trouble such as dingy whites. My husband's formal shirts come out sparkling.

I agree. If you're looking to pack lighter, the ship's laundry is a godsend!

I would not be critical of the person who travels for 2 weeks with just a carryon (might marvel, but not deride) but by the same token I would not expect to be ridiculed for travelling with a great deal of luggage. It makes me happy and doesn't hurt anyone so where's the harm?

Totally agree! I'm not a light packer and people feel free to make snarky remarks about it. I remember this guy making a remark about me having 2 suitcases for a 20 day cruise. The guy stank of BO. It would have been nice if he had a few changes of clothes instead to heaping ridicule on me.

Just need to get my husband on board as he's the one who is planning an outfit per person per day and I'm thinking that's nuts.

Holy cow! Yes, that is nuts. I don't even own two outfits (one daytime, one evening) per day! Let alone be able to carry that much.

Totally agree! I'm not a light packer and people feel free to make snarky remarks about it. I remember this guy making a remark about me having 2 suitcases for a 20 day cruise. The guy stank of BO. It would have been nice if he had a few changes of clothes instead to heaping ridicule on me.

And to think we were on the same shuttle van in San Diego!! It is a wonder they didn't ask for volunteers to get off to lighten the load.:p

It has a little bit of a ghetto feel to it but there is no way around it: when traveling with a family you will be hanging clothes around and washing them in the sink;)......
If that is what you enjoy doing when you cruise with your family, it is certainly your right and your choice, but there is no law that requires you to do it that way. ;)

There are many cruise passengers with children who do not want to have wet clothes hanging around and do not want to be washing them in the sink. The HAL laundry service does a great job laundering children's clothing.

We all have the choices of whether we want to spend our time on the cruise doing the laundry ourselves, or let the ship's laundry service do it, or pack and haul around more suitcases than necessary in order to avoid doing any laundry at all.

If that is what you enjoy doing when you cruise with your family, it is certainly your right and your choice, but there is no law that requires you to do it that way. ;)

There are many cruise passengers with children who do not want to have wet clothes hanging around and do not want to be washing them in the sink. The HAL laundry service does a great job laundering children's clothing.

We all have the choices of whether we want to spend our time on the cruise doing the laundry ourselves, or let the ship's laundry service do it, or pack and haul around more suitcases than necessary in order to avoid doing any laundry at all.

Thank you for that lesson. I do not mean that my cabin looks like a scenes from Slumdog Millionaire. I am talking about bathing suits and at the end of the cruise, maybe a t shirt or two, and a bathing suit coverup, and whatever. Then again, I have five kids. It adds up. Packing is less exact. Puttering around for 2 minutes feels good after 4 or 5 days. I thought I explained that, but if I didn't, let me add that I understand that other people may have different desires or circumstances.

Loved reading everyone's strategies! We've yet to go on a cruise longer than 7 days, but do travel quite a bit and do several of the things suggested above of minimize what we take and to not exceed airline weights. My two cents ---

- Fabreeze (sp) -- great stuff for freshing up the cabin.

- Downy Wrinkle Release -- just spritz the garment, smooth out, let dry and wrinkles are gone.

Note: If we're flying to the port, we're always in at least a day early so we buy the above items at a supermarket in town so as not to have the added wt when flying.

- Travel Smith catalog is great! Well worth investing in some good pieces of clothing from here.

- Cruiseline Formals -- We like to dress for the formal nights. While I bring an outfit or two, for DH we rent a tux. Yes, it's an added expense, but the convenience it great. Jackets, pants, 2 shirts, etc. are in the cabin when we arrive and the cabin stewart takes it away at the end.

- Ships' Laundry service - have used and never been a problem. If we have something that has gotten stained, rather than wait until getting home, I have it done on the ship. They're terrific at getting out stains! (Think about what they deal with from the crew.) Have also taken advantage of the end-of-trip laundry deal. It's so nice to take home clean, neatly folded clothes! Later, when I see those little labels inside the garment with our cabin number, I'm reminded of the trip. :p

- Self-service laundry -- I've used them on HAL and love them. Have found it doesn't take much time. I treat it as a little down time. ;)

- Bathroom clothesline -- I string it through the bathing suits (as opposed to draping them over the line). This way the garment isn't folded over itself so more surface gets exposure to the air.

To the OP - have a great trip!

Just got back from a 14 day...packed for about 5, and used the ships laundromat. Ours had a notice about how much time each cycle ran. I used them late a night, just before going to bed when I was just sitting in the cabin reading. The washing machines even had dispensers on them which automatically added detergent to your load...you didn't even have to mess with buying detergent from a machine and dumping it in.

While travelling to Miami to join the Zuiderdam to go through the Panama Canal, the airlines nicely lost my luggage.

Because flights are limited to the Caribbean islands, my luggage was always missing the ship.

My friends came to the rescue and loaned me an evening dress and swim suit. I purchased sandals and T-shirts, skirt, shorts and undies from the vendors in Aruba.

I can Honestly say that I really didn't miss all the 'stuff' I'd packed!

It was very liberating and freeing! My luggage arrived on board the final destination before returning to Tampa!

Just goes to show, we really do pack way too too much, and that we can do without!

Beside you need room for shopping!!

Kath.

We just returned from 14 days. We stayed a a resort the week before the cruise, so had a bunch of dirty laundry when we boarded. We took the unlimited laundry package at $99 for two weeks. We immediately sent out a bag of laundry and did so every few days during the trip. The last few days we sent out more laundry so we arrived home with all clean clothes. We sent out everything from delicates to sport shorts to dress shirts and had no problems. My wife didn't have to start doing loads of laundry the first week after getting home. I'm just not going to be able to get her to iron my underwear as I became accustomed to on the ship. :D

With a bunch of kids, having the laundry package would seem to be a no-brainer. Why would you want to spend your vacation standing in the bathroom washing clothes in that tiny sink and hanging them up all over the place?

We just returned from 14 days. We stayed a a resort the week before the cruise, so had a bunch of dirty laundry when we boarded. We took the unlimited laundry package at $99 for two weeks. We immediately sent out a bag of laundry and did so every few days during the trip. The last few days we sent out more laundry so we arrived home with all clean clothes. We sent out everything from delicates to sport shorts to dress shirts and had no problems. My wife didn't have to start doing loads of laundry the first week after getting home. I'm just not going to be able to get her to iron my underwear as I became accustomed to on the ship. :D

With a bunch of kids, having the laundry package would seem to be a no-brainer. Why would you want to spend your vacation standing in the bathroom washing clothes in that tiny sink and hanging them up all over the place?

$99 isn't a bad price for the unlimited. I just don't want to see YouTube videos later of people parading around wearing my gigantic panties on their heads. Although with the hot water thing, they may not be that big when they are returned to me. :p

The best things about taking a cruise for your family vacation=not having to cook for everybody and not having to do laundry! Highly recommend the unlimited package. We cruise HAL with our two kids and, for me, seeing those clothes come back clean and neatly folded is like Christmas morning. Colors may fade a little, but I don't send out anything delicate. Pack a Tide pen to treat spots right away.

We got off the Ryndam on Sunday. My washing machine is churning in the background right now--thinking of that lovely blue HAL laundry bag is bringing a tear to my eye.

I travel with two boys ages 6 and 12. I know how dirty they get. We are going on an Alaska trip, 7 day cruise, 2 days pre cruise and 9 days post cruise. I plan on using the unlimited laundry service.

I just wanted to let you know that the Oosterdam does not have self service laundry facilities. We did a Mexican Rivera cruise last Feb and I thought that they had one on board, I did not do the laundry service and then I regretted it. Tons of laundry when we got home.

My boys were able to wear their pants/shorts for a couple of days and I did pack two dress pants and shirts. There is no way that they can keep them clean at dinner.

Enjoy your trip and don't worry about the laundry!

WE will be gone for a month with an 18 day cruise in the middle and I am taking a lot. I have at least 18 outfits...however...most are very light weight.

Lots of very light tshirts...and very light silk or cotton jackets for dinner which ai pair with a black tank and skirt or pants. i have light things I just save for travel as I like variety. I also have "travel Jewelry" that is fun and not expensive. I do use the ships laundry when necessary as I don't like our room to look like a chinese laundry. I do limit shoes. 4 pairs. wear the heaviest.

(I actually went around the world on a months trip with 3 pairs of shoes.)

Shoes are heavy.

:)

Don't forget the bleach pens.

I pack tooo much. Never again. I lighten up last cruise and will be even lighter this cruise. I seemed to wear the same things I am comfortable in. I use an extra hanger for my underwear and hang it from one of the shelves until night, if I don't want the cabin steward to see them.

The laundry on ship is great,other than heavy stuff you can manage in the sink.

When I get ready to pack I am coming back to this thread to remind me, not to over pack. Really great stuff here.

Mixing land travel and cruises can really be a problem when it comes to various luggage allowances for connecting and internal flights. While international flights still let you have two 50# bags each, internal flights after you arrive can be all over the place.

50# limit bags becomes 44# limits bags on one segment, which means juggling pieces around or wearing a bunch of stuff on the plane. And sometimes it is one bag, so regardless of weight of the second bag it gets charged. Sizes and weights of carry-ons also can vary from flight to flight and gate attendant to gate attendant.

But here is the kicker for our upcoming long cruise. I have two bags: one 48# and one 40# while DH has only one at 50#. It takes me twice as much luggage and weight to cruise as it takes him for the same amount of time. I need to ponder this discrepancy more. :p

He gets to wear the same tuxedo, while I want to bring a few more changes for formal nights. There is one clue. He brings one electric razor and i bring electric hair curlers and hair dryer is another. And don't even get me started about bringing extra shoes to his one pair of dress blacks and walking day shoes. :eek:

Agree with the prior poster - getting as light weight as possible travel wardrobe and shoes really peels off the pounds - silk, summer-weight wool and handkerchief linen can cover a lot travel needs along with lightweight sparkle fabrics for dress up.

And converting to lightweight duffle-type suit cases takes off sufficient pounds too to justify the additional expense of buying the newer lighter weight luggage that buys you more space to pack what you want to bring with you besides just a heavy suitcase. LLBean has a great new line: combo of half duffle and half hard surface structure.

One of my "survival" tips for travelling with kids is that when I pack I put one complete outfit (underwear, top, bottom and socks) in a large ziplock freezer bag. This means the kids just 'grab a bag" and get dressed and the sock and undersear match the top and bottom. My daughter is not wearing puple underwear with white shorts and my son is not wearing black socks meant to be worn with his suit at a formal dinner with his shorts. On a short vacation is is one bag per day. On loger vacations I also throw in a pair of pants/leggings with the shorts to make a few outfits and after dinner changes easier. Once laundry is one hopefully I have time to organize their drawers...if not...we are on vacation.

It also means we hae baggies available for "stuff" during our trip. I can't remember when I learned this trick but have been using it for over 5 years and once the kids are teens will have to train myself not to do it, but it will be a challenge as it makes it so easy!

You do not need to pack for more than 7 days. Using the shampoo in the stateroom works well. Always pack at least a couple of plastic hangers to use on the line in the shower - you can also get a hanger extender in dolllar shops which will allow you to hang up to four hangers in the shower, and not have them pile on top of one another. Most smalls dry in a couple of hours, and if you only bring polyester/lycra/ light cotton/ nylon materials for shirts/t-shirts, they will dry during the day when you are out of your cabin anyway.

Archived