Additional Gratuity

LilTink13

Well perhaps, you do leave thank you notes for the maid in your hotel. Then good on you. I prefer to leave cash. I'm not sure you are "RIGHTER" than I am.... or vice versa, BUB.

I don't know how you treat your stateroom stewards, but my experience has been that they go far out of their way to make my stay as enjoyable as possible. If they see me walking towards my room, they will always unlock my door for me. If I pass them in the hallway, they will always wish me a good day and remember my name. If I ask for something, they will always bring it. If I have a problem with something, they will always correct it in quick order. They pick up and deliver my laundry, deliver any special items I may have ordered, and provide their personal pager number so I can contact them for what ever reason.

I have NEVER had a hotel maid give me that level of service. I rarely even see her!

So, yes, I do not write a thank you note to my maid. Instead I leave an appropriate tip at the end of my stay. But my cabin steward, he provides a completely different level of service and I go out of my way to thank them, either in person or by a note, for his efforts to make my stay in his stateroom as comfortable as possible. I also typically give an extra cash tip over and above the recommended gratuity, which I gladly pay without complaint, since I have ALWAYS had excellent service.

Apparently to you your room steward is no more deserving than a common hotel maid, and you treat them the same. That is a real shame.

We generally give extra to the cabin attendant and wait staff. We also recognize others who aren't on the gratuity program, like the excellent sommalier on our last cruise and the wait staff at the Captain's Club nightly get together.

We will get envelopes from guest relations and will put a brief thank you note inside with the cash.

What's so hard about writing "thank you for your excellent service" and sticking a cash gratuity in with it?

That works for us too. On Solstice, we were surprised that we didn't get envelopes and vouchers, like we do with the auto-tip on RC. For us, it's always nice to be able to personally hand someone an envelope and thank them for making our cruise delightful. For the individual who's gone the "extra mile", it's nice to add some extra $$ and a nice note. So, on X we just pick up envelopes at Guest Relations, and pass them out on the last evening. We also let them know that we filled out the guest survey, to reflect their eXcellent service. :cool:

We almost always give something extra with a note of thanks to our cabin steward(ess) as well as our waiter and ass't waiter. We put our names and cabin number on the envelopes so that they can cross reference us with the list of people who have removed the auto-tip. None of this necessary but everyone like to be thanked. That said I often wonder with the envelopes how many people have removed themselves from auto-tip.

In some of this thread I wonder how much of the behaviour is driven by what I am seen to be doing by other cruisers. I have noticed some very ostentatious handing over of notes at the Elite hour and muttered tuttings when we do not

PS

We auto tip and have never decreased the amount even when service might have warranted it

We take small thank you cards with us - they are 3 inx3 inch so slip in our pockets easily

Towards the end of the cruise those who have gone above and beyond ( not everyone) get extra

We use Attention to Detail cards to highlight to hotel management where we get great over and above service

Each evening, when we arrive at the elite event we quietly slip a reward based on the number of drinks we expect we will be served in the evening to a server before we sit down - we get to know who is working each area so we will then go and sit in the relevant area

Writing thank you notes to those we have had direct interaction with - waiters and room stewards/butlers takes what 4 -5 minutes if that. No big deal and I believe it's manners to give a minute % of my time given what they have done for me

Sheesh! Talk about being opinionated! Just because you don't want to write a quick note, give a small gift, or "palm" a staff member cash, doesn't mean that it is wrong to do so. Why such ridicule for someone else's act of kindness if it isn't the way you would do it? Perhaps you should graciously accept that different people have been raised to show appreciation in different ways. It used to be that writing thank you notes was a high form of etiquette. In recent years, however, people have lost that simple gesture in favor an impersonal email note or text message, if a "Thank You" was said at all. Another sign of the dumbing down of society, IMHO.

Let people do what they are comfortable with without ridiculing them for it. Show some kindness for your fellow posters.

I don't believe I was ridiculing anyone. If someone wants to spend their time writing thank you notes, good for them! But I'm starting to see so much talk about it here that I just wanted to put it out there that doing so is in NO WAY to be expected. Cash is and always has been, KING. Be polite, be respectful, look people in the eye and be sincere in thanking them. Then give them cash, and you're all set!

Edit: I was DEFINITELY ridiculing the people who bring little trinkets and crap from home for their room steward!

Tipping is a tricky and some what mysterious topic with me. It is part of the American way and to be honest at times it confuses the heck out of me.

We usually pre pay the tips-then $20 to the room stewart-$20 to the Waiter-$10 to the asst. waiter. We also tip the waiter in the Elite lounge-and the concierge in accordance to his service. I have no problem doing this because these people bust their butts for us to enjoy our vacation.

On the other hand, If I get a cup of coffee at the local coffee shop for $1.25. Am I supposed to leave another dollar in the tip jar already stacked with ones?

Or at a all-inclusive; why am I still tipping the bar server $1 for my drinks?

How much for the cabbie?-How about the porter at the pier????Do I tip the shuttle driver?

I think the Countries that do not have this mysterious culture habit are in a better spot.

If my wife (ex waitress) reads this we will have another discussion on tipping. She is a big cheerleader for tipping. I am not tight; just a little confused.

Tipping is a tricky and some what mysterious topic with me. It is part of the American way and to be honest at times it confuses the heck out of me.

We usually pre pay the tips-then $20 to the room stewart-$20 to the Waiter-$10 to the asst. waiter. We also tip the waiter in the Elite lounge-and the concierge in accordance to his service. I have no problem doing this because these people bust their butts for us to enjoy our vacation.

On the other hand, If I get a cup of coffee at the local coffee shop for $1.25. Am I supposed to leave another dollar in the tip jar already stacked with ones?

Or at a all-inclusive; why am I still tipping the bar server $1 for my drinks?

How much for the cabbie?-How about the porter at the pier????Do I tip the shuttle driver?

I think the Countries that do not have this mysterious culture habit are in a better spot.

If my wife (ex waitress) reads this we will have another discussion on tipping. She is a big cheerleader for tipping. I am not tight; just a little confused.

I think the art of tipping has been lost... It has gotten to a point where people feel entitled to the money. Where as a tip started out being a way to show appreciation for exemplary service.

I too love traveling to nations where tipping plays a smaller part of the service industry then here in the states.

I think the art of tipping has been lost... It has gotten to a point where people feel entitled to the money. Where as a tip started out being a way to show appreciation for exemplary service.

I too love traveling to nations where tipping plays a smaller part of the service industry then here in the states.

Actually, tipping "took off" in the USA following the Civil War. When it was deemed that it was the LAW that all people, had to be paid "something" for their services.

This idea of "discretionarily" paying people vs giving them a working wage, fit the "bill" so to speak.

Tipping really is a bad hang-over from a bad time.

Today of course it is a huge part of North American culture, and our economy... and although it no longer has the racial overtones it once did, it still remains a way for those with money (big corps) not to have to pay a FAIR full and living working wage to some of their employees.

In many ways it still serves to keeps the "poor" or "underprivledged" in their place.

Most folks in North America, don't know the history of tipping here, so it doesn't seem "as bad" as it once did.

But it probably isn't going to change anytime soon in our culture, because well it ensures that some of the things we enjoy in life (like fine dining, cruising etc) don't truly cost the full extent of what they are actually worth.

Personally, I am all in favour of scrapping this whole "Gratuities" clause that the Cruise Lines use (and the many debates and threads that it causes here on CC) and just quote prices as ALL IN. So my $ 899 Cruise PLUS, would actually be listed as say $ 999 ($ 1099, $ 1199... )

Ah, ya... but then the masses wouldn't want that would they... they much prefer the idea that they are getting some sort of "bargain" than the guy cleaning your room is getting a salary he could actually live on !!

Cheers!

One of the most important things one can for a crew member after tips is the Attentition To Detail (ATD) card available from you Cabin Attendandent. The ATD goes directly to the Hotel Director and is put in the Guest Relations log, if you submit one on, say your waiter, he/she will get extra recognition and after so many at-a-boys get extra time off, scratch off gift cards, and helps them with advancement. Be sure to include their names in the Guest Questionnaire at the end of the cruise as well. The ATD is not just for complaints or suggestions. You may find that the level of service improves as word gets out that you will go above and beyond for them when they do you. ~ Ric

One of the most important things one can for a crew member after tips is the Attentition To Detail (ATD) card available from you Cabin Attendandent. The ATD goes directly to the Hotel Director and is put in the Guest Relations log, if you submit one on, say your waiter, he/she will get extra recognition and after so many at-a-boys get extra time off, scratch off gift cards, and helps them with advancement. Be sure to include their names in the Guest Questionnaire at the end of the cruise as well. The ATD is not just for complaints or suggestions. You may find that the level of service improves as word gets out that you will go above and beyond for them when they do you. ~ Ric

Hi Ric:

Great post. Think that some of those who think it's all about tips should ask their waiter if they'd prefer a extra tip or a positive ATD. They may be surprised at the response. I know how our friend Justo responded.

Hi Ric:

Great post. Think that some of those who think it's all about tips should ask their waiter if they'd prefer a extra tip or a positive ATD. They may be surprised at the response. I know how our friend Justo responded.

GREAT POST INDEED !!

And I agree with ORATOR, we too discovered that as much as the EXTRA TIPS were appreciated, in all cases those we thanked, mentioned something along the lines of "I was happy to help, and happy to hear you enjoyed your cruise... do take the time to fill out an Attention to Detail Card"... no one blatently saying "Hey fill out a card on me"... but being careful to let us know that the ATDs were an important part of letting Celebrity know we were happy with our cruise experience, and the service that we received.

We also discovered, on our cruise (Solstice - January 15th Sailing), that Celebrity doesn't want these "cards" compromised in any way... so you had to pick them up at Guest Relations (ask for them) and return them in person.

So don't count on getting one from the staff (ie Room Steward) you most likely will have to make the effort to go get one. Fortunately, I had heard about these Attention to Detail Cards here on CC before I cruised, so I knew what I was needing to fill out prior to the last day.

Someone mentioned previously that Thank You notes took time to write...

And let me just reply, that yes that is true... although we sure as heck didn't write a book... just a short "Thank you very much for your wonderful service... we had a great cruise" and then tucked the Extra Tip into the envelope.

Filling out the Survey (shows up in your Cabin on the last Day... and asks you about your "entire" cruise experience) and the individual Attention to Detail Cards for members of the staff, took a bit more time.

But in the end, these different bits of paperwork that require "some effort" do a lot of good... it is one thing to come on CC and rant or rave (complain or compliment)... but if you really want to effect change then you have to take the time to fill out the right paperwork that can and does make a difference.

Cheers!

I totally agree. Some people here in the US feel so entitled to the money. There was one time when my friend and I went out to dinner. She had extra requests and I overheard the waiter mumble something about my friend in a rude tone when he was leaving after he took our order. After that, the service sucked. We still tipped him, but only around 10%. Looking back, we wish we didn't. He left and said something rude again, but this time louder.

We tip extra on cruises if a staff has done exceptional service. I prepare the tips before we go to our last dinner and I use envelopes to make sure I give them to the right staff. I leave a short note with the envelopes. I believe it boosts morale allowing them to enjoy their job more which will eventually benefit clients. We also make sure that we mention the staff on surveys.

But if I get a staff similar to the waiter I mentioned earlier, I don't know what I would do. If I take out auto gratuities, whatever tip I give a staff gets into the pool and that rude staff would get some of it anyway. I'd probably file a complaint against the rude staff, make sure management knows. Thankfully, we haven't encountered a rude staff on the few cruises we've been on.

Tips are fine BUT JUST AS IMPORTANT...

1. A simple "thank you."

2. Acknowledging and respecting the person as a human being and not just a "worker."

3. Encouraging the person to move ahead in their career, to seek a promotion because of a job well done.

4. A "shout out" on the evaluation form.

But if I get a staff similar to the waiter I mentioned earlier, I don't know what I would do. If I take out auto gratuities, whatever tip I give a staff gets into the pool and that rude staff would get some of it anyway. I'd probably file a complaint against the rude staff, make sure management knows. Thankfully, we haven't encountered a rude staff on the few cruises we've been on.

TO GMROS,

The Gratuities portion of your cruise is distributed to those members of the crew that you have ongoing interaction with thru-out your trip...

From the 2012 Celebrity "fine print" per day amounts...

$ 3.65 = Waiter

$ 2.10 = Asst Waiter

$ 1.00 = Dining Room Mgmt

$ 3.50 = Stateroom Service* ($ 4.00 for Concierge Class or Aqua Class)

$ 1.25 = Other Service Personnel

----------------------------------

$ 11.50 per day ($ 12.00 per day for C-Class or AQ-Class)

$ 15.00 per day for Suites (* they pay $ 3.50 per day for their Butlers in addition to the standard $ 3.50 charged for Stateroom Service)

So really, the right thing to do is SPEAK UP... long before you get to the point where you are looking at what to do in regards to Extra Tipping etc.

I found that Celebrity listens (all these folks are in the Hotel Group) and things were rectified quickly... that seems to be the case for 99% of the topics I've seen here on CC.

And in the worst case scenarios, when there seemed to be more of a "personality" issue (just a misfit between the Guest and the Staff) then the Guest received services from another member of the Staff... so a Butler or Room Steward was replaced for that individual.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

[quote name='Sloop-JohnB']TO GMROS,

The Gratuities portion of your cruise is distributed to those members of the crew that you have ongoing interaction with thru-out your trip...

From the 2012 Celebrity "fine print" per day amounts...

$ 3.65 = Waiter
$ 2.10 = Asst Waiter
$ 1.00 = Dining Room Mgmt
$ 3.50 = Stateroom Service* ($ 4.00 for Concierge Class or Aqua Class)
$ 1.25 = Other Service Personnel
----------------------------------
$ 11.50 per day ($ 12.00 per day for C-Class or AQ-Class)

$ 15.00 per day for Suites (* they pay $ 3.50 per day for their Butlers in addition to the standard $ 3.50 charged for Stateroom Service)

So really, the right thing to do is SPEAK UP... long before you get to the point where you are looking at what to do in regards to Extra Tipping etc.

I found that Celebrity listens (all these folks are in the Hotel Group) and things were rectified quickly... that seems to be the case for 99% of the topics I've seen here on CC.

And in the worst case scenarios, when there seemed to be more of a "personality" issue (just a misfit between the Guest and the Staff) then the Guest received services from another member of the Staff... so a Butler or Room Steward was replaced for that individual.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers![/QUOTE]

Thank you!

Archived