2 questions on pre-paying for the soft drink package

Cheryl H

My husband and I had the soft drink package for our last cruise. We purchased the package once we boarded and got souvenir cups. Here's the questions:

If we prepay for this - do we still get the souvenir cups once we board?

Also if we prepay can we just get it for the two of us and not our son? (our son does not like soft drinks). Or will it force it to purchase for all three since we are all three on the reservation?

Thanks in advance.

You do not need to purchase the soda card for everyone in the reservation. Just indicate the passenger who is buying the soda card. If you prepay, the souvenir mug will be in your stateroom when you embark. The sailpass for the individual(s) who purchase the package will also come with the Coke emblem printed on it, instead of a sticker.

You can buy the package for anyone that wants it. If your son does not drink soda (as mine doesn't) don't buy him one. If you buy in advance, when you check in your card will have the Coke logo imbedded on the card.

If I remember from the last time we bought in advance, your Coke cups will be waiting in your stateroom upon arrival.

One of the things about buying in advance is that you don't pay the local tax on top of the price of the package (which will include the 15% gratuities). If you buy in advance, or wait until you're out to sea, you avoid the tax.

Have a great trip!

I've purchased the soda package on every one of my cruises and have never paid sales tax. I've bought it online using the pre-cruise planner, I've bought it in port before we depart and I've bought it once we left port. It has always been the standard price + gratuity.

I've purchased the soda package on every one of my cruises and have never paid sales tax. I've bought it online using the pre-cruise planner, I've bought it in port before we depart and I've bought it once we left port. It has always been the standard price + gratuity.

I think people get the 15% gratuity mistaken for a tax.

Although there are some places they do, but not Florida.

I am pretty sure the only place that has a state tax is California. Go figure...

I think people get the 15% gratuity mistaken for a tax.

Although there are some places they do, but not Florida.

I am pretty sure the only place that has a state tax is California. Go figure...

It depends on the port, fortunately for most I believe the Florida ports do not charge tax, while I am pretty sure they do in Bayonne!

We pre-purchase for the kids anymore, one less thing to worry about when we board.

It depends on the port, fortunately for most I believe the Florida ports do not charge tax, while I am pretty sure they do in Bayonne!

We pre-purchase for the kids anymore, one less thing to worry about when we board.

Ahh, I've only cruised from NJ once. That might have been a trip when I purchased it after leaving the port.

Coke products only. No Pepsi products. We buy the Coke card, but carry a 12-pack of Diet Dr. Pepper for the mini-fridge for late, late night or early morning or just when we are not ready to go out to a public venue to pick up a soft drink. Works out great. Another reason to buy on-line. One year we procrastinated. When we went to buy the coke card, they were out of the cups. It was on a smaller ship, but we've always been sure to do it ahead of time to make sure our cup was waiting in the cabin on us. They are great cups for after the cruise. We have quite a collection.

I don't recall a tax either. We were in Vancouver when we boarded and purchased the soft drink packages. I love getting diet coke at dinner time. Our servers kept them coming!

This next cruise is out of Boston. Have no idea about their tax.

But I think we will go ahead and pre-order the packages. Thanks everyone!

My daughter just got off the VOS and said that she was disappointed with the pop card because the soda was flat and not very good.

I had told her just to buy an 8 pack and just have the pop in her room, however, she was worried that they would confiscate it.

My daughter just got off the VOS and said that she was disappointed with the pop card because the soda was flat and not very good.

I had told her just to buy an 8 pack and just have the pop in her room, however, she was worried that they would confiscate it.

I am very fussy about diet soda out of a fountain, but on the Freedom it was very good.

Doesn't matter if they take it she wouldn't be banned from the ship or anything. At least she would have tried

I thought the coke products were fine on NOS 2 weeks ago. I prepaid for my husband so the logo was on his card. We did not get the soda cup until the second day for some reason, but it's no problem to get a soda in a regular cup. The cup/mug is quite nice actually.

I can't speak for ships other than the Freedom but the cup they give you works the electronic self serve soda fountain that is in the pool area. It has something in the bottom of the cup that allows the machine to work for you. So it's not just a nice cup. :D

Coke products only. No Pepsi products. We buy the Coke card, but carry a 12-pack of Diet Dr. Pepper for the mini-fridge for late, late night or early morning or just when we are not ready to go out to a public venue to pick up a soft drink.

But Diet Dr. Pepper is a coke product. Can I not ask for a can to take back to my room? On NCL, they would just open a can of soda and pour it into your glass. They would give you the remainder of a can if you wanted it, since those NCL souvenir tumblers that came with the soda package were quite tall, and took a bit more than 1 can to fill.

But Diet Dr. Pepper is a coke product. Can I not ask for a can to take back to my room? On NCL, they would just open a can of soda and pour it into your glass. They would give you the remainder of a can if you wanted it, since those NCL souvenir tumblers that came with the soda package were quite tall, and took a bit more than 1 can to fill.

Dr. Pepper is a Dr. Pepper product, not a Coke product. Coke's version of Dr. Pepper is Mr. Pibb.

I can't speak for ships other than the Freedom but the cup they give you works the electronic self serve soda fountain that is in the pool area. It has something in the bottom of the cup that allows the machine to work for you. So it's not just a nice cup. :D

On the Radiance, I don't think there was a machine. If there was we never found it. We really only used the souvenir cup for the first day. The rest of the time, we got diet coke in a glass, or at the windjammer, it was in a plastic cup.

But I sure enjoy that souvenir cup here at home.

Archived