A British Mans First Cruise - Enchantment of the Seas

Have a wonderful cruise PP. There is something magical about that first step onto your first ship. Have fun and we look forward to hearing your review.

Hi Kate,

I see that you're sailing on the Jewel in April. When? Maybe I can talk Buddy into a quick trip. We were just on her in Jan. Love that ship.

Nancy & Buddy

And let's not forget the extraneous "U" that our British friends like to include in some of their words ... favourite, colour, Et.Cet.

Michael

Meh, the U doesn't bother me. it's that extra I in aluminum that I get weirded out by. :confused:

You are not far from where I live. We will be going on the Enchantment in June. We love that we don't have to fly to go on a cruise.

Are you staying after the cruise to see Baltimore or DC? If you need any help, let me know.

Hi Kate,

I see that you're sailing on the Jewel in April. When? Maybe I can talk Buddy into a quick trip. We were just on her in Jan. Love that ship.

Nancy & Buddy

Hello Queen Nancy, how nice to hear from you. I am sailing the Jewel on April 14 with some CC friends. It would be lovely to see you again.

I did the VY TA again in 2010 and am doing the Vision TA out of Southampton in September. Say hello to Buddy :)

Oh boy! Just saw a post on another thread stating that Enchantment was still at the dock in Baltimore at 6:15:eek::eek:! Wonder what happened to make it late? Don't know if the ship has left yet or not.

Such a shame to happen on OP's first cruise!

Thanks for the tip Jack, I'll certainly check the sprite thing for you.

Good morning one and all. Today is finally here and in a few hours I shall be on board. Let me start by saying that I sadly didn't make it to the bar. Me and gf ordered some rather lovely room service before passing out on the beds. I guess being up for 24 hours will do that to you. Despite some mental girls running around in the night, its was a good sleep.

I have woken up to a gorgeous view and it looks to be a very beautiful day. Going to go hunt a decent breakfast now.

PP

I promise loads more pics when I get on board. :-)

I am loving your posts so far PP and also hope that the delay in your sailing is not going to effect the rest of your vacation. On the topic of the differences in the expressions we use - doesn't anybody think the above highlighted sentence is strange?? Had to lol when I read it!

?Well ladies and gentlemen, I made it. Checked into the lovely Hilton about ten minutes ago and have to say loving the USA so far. Flight was an absolute pleasure, well aside from one choppy bit where I got a little scared ha ha. Security scared me at first, but the gentleman who took my prints was an absolute pleasure to talk to. We were met at the gate by a very sweet lady, whose name I sadly did not get, and check in at the Hilton was a breeze. Going to relax and shower, then maybe sample some American ales in the bar.

I shall report in tomorrow hopefully from the ship.

PP

IMG_20120217_205838.jpg

IMG_20120218_000818.jpg

Sorry to hear your T/A only booked you in a Hilton. To really get a genuine first class American experience, they should have put you in a Motel 6.

Sorry to hear your T/A only booked you in a Hilton. To really get a genuine first class American experience, they should have put you in a Motel 6.

And that veiw of Camden Yard......Anaheim Stadium is such a better veiw....especially when you can see the Angels beat the pants off of those Orioles.... Ha ha ha :)

Mike

On the topic of the differences in the expressions we use - doesn't anybody think the above highlighted sentence is strange?? Had to lol when I read it!
LOL, I can understand the strange thoughts about the words used to describe the antics of his fellow hotel guests, but I understand it completely, but then again I'm from the same area of the UK as the OP (even if he his from a big rival county just around 40 miles away)!

To the OP, have a great time in the US, you may get some strange looks with some of our colloquialisms from the UK! If you smoke, don't announce you're going out for a 'fag' or you will get some very funny looks!

BTW I hope you get underway soon and get to enjoy your first cruise and I'm sure RCI are looking after you.

helluva welcome to America, huh, PP.. hope you still managed to take it all in stride and are enjoying the trip down the Harbor during daylight hours.

let us know your personal experiences, as we had one other person comment that they had issues with rude staff on board.

I plan on capturing as much of my cruise as possible so it will help prepare future first timers, and hopefully entertain the more experienced person. I'll be totally honest with my writing and if something upsets me you will be first to hear about it.

So sit tight, relax and enjoy :-)

Pr1vate Piles.

I am eagerly waiting for your next post, especially in light of your delayed sail away.

Hopefully, you are having a wonderful time.

I hope they are doing OK someone on the cruise posted that they are now having snow and the crew were out taking pictures. They are also about to run into a major storm off Cape Hatteras

It sounds like pp will have an experience to remember, or perhaps never forget.

For all of that I hope that with the $300 OBC he is having a great time.........:)

Hello one and all.

Let me start by saying sorry for the delay in my updates, I'm sure you are all aware of the situation, however I shall re cap event thus far.

Check in at the terminal was just as I read. Quick, easy and very friendly. I was amazed at how quickly me and kitty were on board. The ship looks stunning and while I'm sure the newest ships look even better, for me, its epic.

We ate in the salarium which was very calm when compared to the windjammer. While we found a seat very easily, I thought the famed chicken wasn't as good as I had expected, I preferred the burgers tbh. We got into cabins by 13.30 where I was met by my suitcase. Kitty's arrived an hour later, however that was an hour of panic and stress for her.

Sadly, trouble started not long after. The ship had and is, having issues with one of the engines. We had to wait two hours for engineers to get on board and attempt repairs. This delayed us until this morning when thankfully we set off. Due to the delay key west has been canceled and we were credited with $200 obc. Things seem to still be off with the ship and seems we are heading into a storm with around 80 foot waves. More experienced cruisers may think this is nothing serious but has put me on edge.

Main dining room was a pleasure last night and I'm looking forward to tonight's formal dinner. I shall.l try and check in tomorrow if we still have a connection. Sorry I haven't been able to read all the posts on here, I'll try and catch up later on.

PP.

The bridges were amazing to pads under, I have s cool video of me panicking as we go under. Thank you for the sympathy, it will cheer kitty up who isn't in best of moods yet. Due to not getting messages in time, I attended two meet and mingles :-) , met some amazing people. I'll get some pics of the storm later for you all.

PP

Hello one and all.

Let me start by saying sorry for the delay in my updates, I'm sure you are all aware of the situation, however I shall re cap event thus far.

Check in at the terminal was just as I read. Quick, easy and very friendly. I was amazed at how quickly me and kitty were on board. The ship looks stunning and while I'm sure the newest ships look even better, for me, its epic.

We ate in the salarium which was very calm when compared to the windjammer. While we found a seat very easily, I thought the famed chicken wasn't as good as I had expected, I preferred the burgers tbh. We got into cabins by 13.30 where I was met by my suitcase. Kitty's arrived an hour later, however that was an hour of panic and stress for her.

Sadly, trouble started not long after. The ship had and is, having issues with one of the engines. We had to wait two hours for engineers to get on board and attempt repairs. This delayed us until this morning when thankfully we set off. Due to the delay key west has been canceled and we were credited with $200 obc. Things seem to still be off with the ship and seems we are heading into a storm with around 80 foot waves. More experienced cruisers may think this is nothing serious but has put me on edge.

Main dining room was a pleasure last night and I'm looking forward to tonight's formal dinner. I shall.l try and check in tomorrow if we still have a connection. Sorry I haven't been able to read all the posts on here, I'll try and catch up later on.

PP.

Oh dear... I hope you don't experience 80 foot waves.... I don't know how much of the ship would be left with waves that high. I want to be able to take our cruise in March. Good luck navigating those stormy waters! Have a great cruise!

Morning one and all. I wish i could say it was good but i wouldn't be telling truth and i did say i would be honest in all my reports. Still currently bouncing around in the sea, the night wasn't as bad as i thought it would be and had hoped to wake up to some good weather today. Sadly, the boat is still having problems and we had slowed to about 15 knotts (according to the captains report this morning). Coco Cay has been cancelled, and we will be spending the night in Nassau. While they have kindly said they will refund the price of the cruise (no mentions of any refund for a wasted 9.5 hour flight from UK) it was to much for my dear gf who broke down in tears. Not very impressed at the moment and from my walk around the ship, not many passengers are either. I fear this is going to reflect badly on the ship and on the crew who have been working hard. The captain has said things could change at any time and im holding onto some hope things will improve as the day goes on. I know a cruise is what you make of it and i will try my best to make something of it but as the bad news rolls in it is becoming harder.

Take Care One and All.

Archived