Question about taking an iron

Greenesailor

Use drycleaner bags in your packing process. The plastic acts as a buffer

and definitely helps with the prevention of wrinkles. I have been using

them for years.

Lois, I also use the drycleaner bag method. We've never had an issue with wrinkling. And I just fold them up and store them in my luggage for the next trip! I also use zippered sweater bags for everything other than hanging clothing. I keep undies in one, tops in another, etc. It's so easy to just take out the bags, place them in a drawer or on a shelf, and re-packing is done in a minute. I buy them at Container Store.

Lois, I also use the drycleaner bag method. We've never had an issue with wrinkling. And I just fold them up and store them in my luggage for the next trip! I also use zippered sweater bags for everything other than hanging clothing. I keep undies in one, tops in another, etc. It's so easy to just take out the bags, place them in a drawer or on a shelf, and re-packing is done in a minute. I buy them at Container Store.

Hi Karyn:) you are more organized than I am;).....I unpack and put

everything away but I wad up the bags and stick them in the trash

can....never keep them for the next trip. My drycleaner guy is

nice:D

On NCL you can call and request an iron and ironing board and they'll bring one to you and pick it up an hour later.

So you can iron your own clothes and I guess they feel the risk of fire is lessened because they come back and pick up the iron in an hour.

Does Celebrity do this?

I hate ironing and don't do it at home so would never do it on vacation but I know others who have used this service on other cruise lines.

We have run the risk and successfully taken an irons with Princess in the past.

On Celeb cruises with no laundry rooms I assume other than their expensive laundry service there is no way to iron your clothes ... unless of course you smuggle an iron in that

Well, please don't do that again :eek:. A principal reason irons are not allowed on cruise ships is that they present a fire-hazard. As you know, short of striking an iceberg or rocks, fire is the single most dangerous thing that can occur on a ship.

If your clothes are wrinkled you can either use the ship laundry service or hang them in your bathroom while you are taking a shower, but please stop endangering the lives of your fellow-passengers by using an iron on board.

FSO

On NCL you can call and request an iron and ironing board and they'll bring one to you and pick it up an hour later.

So you can iron your own clothes and I guess they feel the risk of fire is lessened because they come back and pick up the iron in an hour.

Does Celebrity do this?

I hate ironing and don't do it at home so would never do it on vacation but I know others who have used this service on other cruise lines.

Nope :)

Does Celebrity do this?

Hi, nope, Celebrity does not do it.

Your probably right about the safety thing, hadn't thought about that.

Seeing as Celebrity are too miserable to provide any ironing facilities I guess I will have to adjust our tips to fund the pay for ironing service.

Why on earth would you take tips away from those who are serving you meals and cleaning your room to pay for ironing? Why not try having 2-3 less cocktails for the entire length of your cruise? That will save you around $30 or more, and should be enough to get some items pressed.

Another poster just posted current Laundry Prices for X. Here's cost of pressing:

PRESSING

Suit, dress---$5

Jacket---$4

Pants, long sleeve shirt, skirt, sweater---$3

Short sleeve shirt, shorts---$2

Hope this helps.

Why well I just thought I would join in the mean spirited pricks who suggested dobbing me in.

BTW I never said i wouldn't tip at all just that I might deduct the laundry costs from the tips.

Reducing tips I say that is outrageous - sorry to put it as strongly as that.

No is the word re irons no ifs, no buts, and I can share plenty of video evidence of the risks of irons and also of fires on ships that might help convince you if you still are suffering from IDS (Iron deprivation syndrome)

You have been given many very helpful suggestions from other cruisers about how to remove any minor creases from clothing. I have never ever taken an iron or accessed an iron on any holiday on land or sea and never had a problem with clothes that are creased and my husbands standards there are very high

Please NEVER penalise the crew for anything that is outwith their direct control - reducing their tips because you do not agree with a policy is IMHO cruel to these hardworking people

Why well I just thought I would join in the mean spirited pricks who suggested dobbing me in.

BTW I never said i wouldn't tip at all just that I might deduct the laundry costs from the tips.

Your choice, but I think that is a very cock-eyed way at getting back at the cruiseline, if that is what your intention is.

Phil

Seeing as Celebrity are too miserable to provide any ironing facilities I guess I will have to adjust our tips to fund the pay for ironing service.

Whose tips would you adjust? Have you chosen one person that serves you or will you take off a little from each one.Ridiculous.:mad:

A little tip I had a few years ago is take a spray bottle with you and when you start to unpack fill with hot water and spray clothes individually as you hang them - this will get rid of any creases - it works every time for me and I have never needed to iron, not even hubbie's shirts etc and yes I am very fussy about creased clothes!!

Wow--great idea!! Have always hung a few pieces of clothing while taking a shower and then make sure we spend a few extra minutes in the shower so clothes get a good dose of steam. But with a week's worth of clothing, it takes a few days to get everything through. Will have to remember your tip! Thanks!

A little tip I had a few years ago is take a spray bottle with you and when you start to unpack fill with hot water and spray clothes individually as you hang them - this will get rid of any creases - it works every time for me and I have never needed to iron, not even hubbie's shirts etc and yes I am very fussy about creased clothes!!

Wow--great idea!! Have always hung a few pieces of clothing while taking a shower and then make sure we spend a few extra minutes in the shower so clothes get a good dose of steam. But with a week's worth of clothing, it takes a few days to get everything through. Will have to remember your tip! Thanks!

After dozens and dozens of cruises, lots and lots of wrinkles, Downy Wrinkle release, plastic cleaner bags, white tissue wrap...We finally just stopped worrying about the wrinkles. When was the last time anyone actually got offended when they saw a wrinkle on a fellow passengers garment? Who really cares? If a stray wrinkles gets past all the carefully tissued packing we just live with it. We haven't been kicked off a ship yet. We've even sat at the Captain's table slightly rumpled and have had great times.

After dozens and dozens of cruises, lots and lots of wrinkles, Downy Wrinkle release, plastic cleaner bags, white tissue wrap...We finally just stopped worrying about the wrinkles. When was the last time anyone actually got offended when they saw a wrinkle on a fellow passengers garment? Who really cares? If a stray wrinkles gets past all the carefully tissued packing we just live with it. We haven't been kicked off a ship yet. We've even sat at the Captain's table slightly rumpled and have had great times.

You are absolutely right!:D Not going to stress over wrinkles on vacation and if the ship had a place for ironing, you would never see me there!:D

Sherri:)

I just don't understand your logic. The cruiseline has a no irons brought onboard policy. That is for the safety of the passengers.

Archived