Renting car in Honolulu

Cat_Lover3

Yes, we rented a car in Honolulu but I don't remember which company it was. I do know that the rates are cheaper if you rent online. Don't know about picking up/dropping off at the dock, as we flew there. Just don't expect to get from A to B in Honolulu traffic easily...or quickly! Traffic is always jammed up there, and doesn't really let up until 8:00 or so. Fortunately the natives are extremely good natured about it. Just think of it as another adventure!

We rented a car through Discount Hawaii Car Rental twice - once in Honolulu and on Kaui. Used Thrifty both times with pickup service and had a good price. In Honolulu we were picked up at the pier by Aloha Tower. Rented a intermediate car and ended up with a convertible. We were driving around the island - not using the car in Honolulu - so it was very easy driving around.

We have had great luck with Alamo in Hawaii. Their prices are usually the lowest and they will pick u up. The Waikiki location is not too far from aloha tower. once you reserve always check prices as they change all the time. If you see price come down book then go to previous booking and click on link and cancel.

I just got a 2 day rental in March for $84.00 total including taxes from Alamo, using

Discount Hawaii Car Rental www.DiscountHawaiiCarRental.com 1-800-292-1930

Maui * Oahu * Kauai * Big Island * Molokai

Waikiki - 1778 Ala Moana Blvd Honolulu , HI 96815 Located at corner of Hobron Lane and Ala Moana Blvd in Discovery Bay Center on the second floor of the mall. For free shuttle service to or from any local Waikiki Hotel, call 808-947-6112

Base rate for Toyota Coroll was $36 a day.

About the same cost quoted from Expedia

And hotel told me you could go many places as a walk up and get the same.

I just got a 2 day rental in March for $84.00 total including taxes from Alamo, using

Discount Hawaii Car Rental www.DiscountHawaiiCarRental.com 1-800-292-1930

Maui * Oahu * Kauai * Big Island * Molokai

Waikiki - 1778 Ala Moana Blvd Honolulu , HI 96815 Located at corner of Hobron Lane and Ala Moana Blvd in Discovery Bay Center on the second floor of the mall. For free shuttle service to or from any local Waikiki Hotel, call 808-947-6112

Base rate for Toyota Coroll was $36 a day.

About the same cost quoted from Expedia

And hotel told me you could go many places as a walk up and get the same.

Thanks Germanyboy,

I've checked out this website and printed out their rates.

We've never rented a vehicle for a vacation, but Kauai looks like it may be possible and not get lost...

Have you been to Kauai before? If so, how are the roads there?

Helga

Thanks Germanyboy,

I've checked out this website and printed out their rates.

We've never rented a vehicle for a vacation, but Kauai looks like it may be possible and not get lost...

Have you been to Kauai before? If so, how are the roads there?

Helga

Not Germanyboy but we have rented a car on Kauai. Booked Thrify through the Discount Hawaii site and they picked us up at the port. We spent the day driving around Waimea Canyon. Had a fantastic time stopping when and where we wanted too. The roads were good and we had very little traffic compared to what we are use to in Alabama.

On our previous trip, we rented a van (for 6 of us) on Oahu pre and post cruise, and at every Hawaiian port.

Other than Waikiki's one-way streets during rush hour, the roads in Hawaii are easy to drive.

In the coming trip, we booked an econ car every where. They rates have been around $27-28/d. In Honolulu, Thrifty will shuttle you (for free) between the pier and airport.

I am just back from three weeks in Hawaii, including a cruise in the middle. I had a car every day except for 2, all with Thrifty. :)

So-o-ooooo, will you be posting a review ? would love to hear about your trip! :D

Just got off the Sapphire Princess roundtrip to Hawaii and we too rented a car from Alamo in the Waikiki location. They have a shuttle bus that picks you up from the pier and will take you back too. Note that the last shuttle bus is at 5pm so we got a cab back (which the Alamo rep called for us) and it was about $15

It's VERY easy to drive in Hawaii....if you "get lost", just keep driving....you'll eventually end up where you started!!!! (Not totally joking!) There aren't THAT many road, and they are very well marked.

Well, yes in Oahu to the north. Or in Maui around Hana, or around Lahaina.

Not quite in Kauai, or some parts of other places.

But it's true Hawaii is easy to drive, and hard to get lost.

Not Germanyboy but we have rented a car on Kauai. Booked Thrify through the Discount Hawaii site and they picked us up at the port. We spent the day driving around Waimea Canyon. Had a fantastic time stopping when and where we wanted too. The roads were good and we had very little traffic compared to what we are use to in Alabama.

Tina & Ken,

And everyone else that answered to some of my questions regarding renting a car. Thanks for your help. I will make sure that I have maps along, although I have read that some car rentals provide them.

I've learned so much from these boards - it's great!

Again,

Thank you,

Helga

:) Wow, this place is great. I just signed up a few days ago and have information overload.

We are going to Hawaii in April, and I want to rent a car in Honolulu because we are docked there overnight. As "dides" said, Alamo shuttle ends at 5, but at least the taxi is reasonable. I hope there is somewhere to park overnight near the pier. I will check out Discount Hawaii Car Rental also.

We are also in Lahaina and Nawiliwili, each from 8am to 5pm. Is it worth renting a car for the short time, or should I do an excursion?? I want to see as much as possible. Thanks, :D

:) Wow, this place is great. I just signed up a few days ago and have information overload.

We are going to Hawaii in April, and I want to rent a car in Honolulu because we are docked there overnight. As "dides" said, Alamo shuttle ends at 5, but at least the taxi is reasonable. I hope there is somewhere to park overnight near the pier. I will check out Discount Hawaii Car Rental also.

We are also in Lahaina and Nawiliwili, each from 8am to 5pm. Is it worth renting a car for the short time, or should I do an excursion?? I want to see as much as possible. Thanks, :D

You'll get more answers by starting separate thread(s) about Kauai and Lahaina.

In Kauai we went for a helicoptor tour first, then drove the rental van all the way north to Ke'e Beach and snorkeled there. The other choice can be driving toward the west to the Waimea canyon. You'll choose one way to drive but not both, for the port stay.

For Lahaina, it's not a lot of time till 5pm. That won't be enough for Road to Hana. If you want to drive to Mt. Kaleakala summit, or Ioa Needle, then yes rent a car. Or just go to Kaanapali beach north of Lahaina, or just walk around Lahaina.

We will be in Honolulu in 2 weeks from 7:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. - so we rented a car via Priceline - $25 for the day. Driving north to golf and shop. I understand they have a free shuttle (National) near the port. Either way - airport is pretty close to port and we have plenty of time.

Archived