Costa Allegra caught fire and now adrift

Mikel1733

I would HATE to be CEO of Costa.They are under so much pressure. Excuse my French, but they are SOL right now.

Sad, but true. Just saw more on this story and checked a couple of the most current news updates. Not good! From AP newswire mid afternoon today, they have this headline: "Stranded Costa Allegra is adrift without power in Indian Ocean" with these highlights: "An Italian cruise liner carrying more than 1,000 people was adrift without power in the pirate-infested Indian Ocean after a fire erupted in its generator room. The blaze was extinguished without causing any injuries. Tug boats from the island nation of Seychelles were steaming toward the drifting Costa Allegra, which had 636 passengers and 413 crew members on board, but they were not expected to arrive until Tuesday afternoon at the earliest."

It is darkness now so it must be really bad for the passengers sitting there in the open sea with no power or light.

Full stories at:

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/02/stranded_costa_allegra_is_adri.html

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hJMXUB2OfvPF9z9bWTDAPymG7BGw?docId=CNG.7085f8662afad43dcda4140668854d22.321

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 66,665 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thats what the news headlines on the linked stories called them. I agree the terminology we use on cruise critic they are not exact twin sister ships. Maybe the europeans use different terminology.
There is no difference between North American or European interpretation of the meaning 'Sister Ships'.

The nautical meaning is a ship of the same class, same style and same build.

i.e. QM1 QM2, or

Allure of the seas, Oasis of the seas.

The only similarity to the Allegra and the Concordia are they are both in the same Cruise line.

Can I just ask why we have 2 threads on the same subject :confused:

Not unusual at all - will probably be more soon. Some people just want to be first to report (say) something - others can't be bothered reading thru the threads first. In the end... no difference - read thru two 3 page threads, or one 6 page thread... same info either way.

I just hope the Somali pirates don't find them before the boats giving assistance do. They do operate in the area.

Part of the article:

By Associated Press business staff The Associated Press The general region where the cruise ship was adrift -- off the coast of Tanzania -- has seen a rash of attacks by Somali pirates. In 2009, an Italian cruise ship with 1,500 people aboard fended off a pirate attack in the Indian Ocean far off the coast of Somalia.

Moretti said an armed nine-member Italian military team on anti-pirate duty was aboard the Allegra, but he insisted the maritime region where the ship was now "isn't a high risk area for pirates."

"If pirates attack, the armed guards on board will respond. But as far as I am aware, no pirates have been sighted in the area," said Seychelles presidential spokeswoman Srdjana Janosevic.

On this ship's location, the below story indicates that the accident happened near Alphonse Island (marked at the bottom of the "A" on this Google map that I pulled up from the web), some 200 nautical miles SW from the main islands of this Indian Ocean archipelago. Not a good or easy places for reaching or servicing.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Another+Costa+cruise+ship+adrift+Seychelles+after+fire+Italy/6215746/story.html#ixzz1ncqqPZ5Q

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 66,665 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

CostaIndianOceanLocation.jpg

not if you were involved in any of the above.

You missed the point h, all of these would be terrible experiences, some more than others obviously. But there are thousands upon thousands of cruises a year, and percentages are just that - percentages...

I'm not minimizing the impact on the people affected at all...

Okay hitting the like button on this one!

Allow me. This is clearly another blatant attack on the cruise industry orchestrated by CHAIRHOG, which stands for

Consortium to

Help

All

Inclusive

Resorts

Heighten

Ocean incidents

Globally

This consortium of owners of AI resorts have operatives across the globe creating chaos on board ships by causing these incidents. They even go so far as to wake up early to "reserve" chairs on cruise ships, wear jeans on formal nights, smoke as many cigarettes as possible, board ships after intentionally contracting noro and then shaking as many hands as possible. It goes on and on. From the time they are children they are groomed to create chaos in the cruise industry. Ever wonder where the "trolls" here come from? Makes you think, doesn't it.

Does this conspiracy work for you?

My very first cruise back in 1973 i went on the Frederico C of the Costa Line. We left out of Ft Lauderdale and then four days into the cruise we lost power and all power and drifted for about eight hrs. We drifted by Cuba and no one bothered is and thwn we ebentually gotmour power back and went to the Bahamas instead of the port that we missed, There was no fire but we just lost power and I never found out what it was. I was only 18 so I really didnt care at that point and still had alot of fun.

Part of the article:

By Associated Press business staff The Associated Press The general region where the cruise ship was adrift -- off the coast of Tanzania -- has seen a rash of attacks by Somali pirates. In 2009, an Italian cruise ship with 1,500 people aboard fended off a pirate attack in the Indian Ocean far off the coast of Somalia.

Moretti said an armed nine-member Italian military team on anti-pirate duty was aboard the Allegra, but he insisted the maritime region where the ship was now "isn't a high risk area for pirates."

"If pirates attack, the armed guards on board will respond. But as far as I am aware, no pirates have been sighted in the area," said Seychelles presidential spokeswoman Srdjana Janosevic.

--------------------

IF I was a a pirate, I sure as a heck would be heading that way to try to take the ship.

She was sailing between Madagascar and Oman, having stopped at Mahe in the Seychelles today (or scheduled to stop there shortly...??) Definitely not somewhere I'd want to be on a cruise ship these days, but these are some parts of the world I hope to see someday....

I hope they can get some help out there quickly. :eek:

This year alone 2012- (and keep in mind these are only things that made the headlines):

- The Costa Concordia halfway sank ending the lives of approx. 32 people and injuring others.

- The Carnvial Fantasy had a jumper who jumped in the atrium and died.

- An RCCL ship (I believe it was Liberty of the Seas)... lady left the nightclub and fell down a flight of stairs and died

- Norovirus attacked the Crown Princess so badly that they had to end their trip early and return back to port.

- Noro has also heavily impacted and made headlines on a RCCL ship (yesterday and a Carnival ship last month.)

- 22 passengers were just robbed during an excursion (they were Carnival passengers)

- A cruise ship employee aboard the Carnival Magic fell overboard while working (apparently - don't know the whole story yet). Luckily, was rescued but still made headlines.

( And now, another ship... Costa Allegra has a fire...)

So yeah I'd agree with the poster that said this hasn't been a good year for cruising. And these are only the things I know about...

With all of that said.. I still LOVE cruising and will take any cruises that anyone wants to give up. Haha.

Don't forget about the oil spilled all over the luggage on the Carnival in NOLA,

or

The Enchantment of the Seas having an engine go down on the just completed cruise.

or

The fire in the trash room on the Monarch of the Seas a short while back.

Yes. I forgot to add, a cruise ship (MSC Poesia ???) ran aground in the Bahamas about a week before the Concordia incident.

Don't forget about Regents' Seven Seas Voyager going through a cyclone and having a fire earlier this month.

A great read on it is by Ken Levine... these links were posted on the Regent boards. Direct link to first part of his cruise is here:

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2012/02/reporting-from-down-under.html

The second part (about the cyclone and fire) is posted here:

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2012/02/surviving-my-first-cyclone.html

Archived