Critical cruise

shortyson

Ok my dw and I are going on our second cruise. The first one was a disaster for her, as on day 3 of a 5 day cruise her appendix burst. And we thought it was seasickness or the flu. We did not figure it out till we got back home a very dangerous situation indeed. So we are going to Alaska on the westerdam and if this cruise is not the cats meow for her I am afraid this will be my last cruise. I remember last time feeling lost and confused when we boarded while other pax knew just what to do. So I am open to suggestions on how to make the most of this trip. By the way this board is a great conduit for information and keeping the excitement building. Thank you in advance

Welcome to HAL first of all! We have only been on one and we are officially hooked. The Westerdam is called the Queen of the Horns by all of us because we all watch the sail aways from Fort Lauderdale on the weekends and the Westerdam reigns supreme. Check this board tomorrow and you will see the posts. Hundreds of them. We watch portevergladeswebcam.com and watch the parade of ships leaving the harbor. We consider ourselves in therapy since we can't cruise everyday.

My grandson's appendix burst at a fair and they thought he was sick because of all the food he had eaten. Then they found out what had really happened and I know what you went through. It was awful and you are very lucky.

You will get a lot of advice, great advice, from these boards. I know they have helped me in all regards.

Welcome and enjoy your new favorite pastime.

If you are concerned about feeling lost on the ship, why don't you spend a little time studying the deck plans and photos of the interior public rooms of the ship before going. I know when I've gone on a new ship I spend a lot of time at home before sailing becoming familiar with the ship...and then when I get onboard I have at least a general idea of where things are located. You can always get turned around, but it helps to have that general idea beforehand. Westerdam is a beautiful ship (been on her three times) and is very easy to get around. You'll most likely be spending much of your time on decks 2, 3 and 9...where most of the public areas are located, so I would look at the deck plans for those decks.

We just got off of Eurodam this morning and before we disembarked I mentioned that this was the first cruise we've taken that I haven't made a mis-turn on the ship...and this was our 10th cruise.

Let us know if there is anything else you want to know. Best wishes!!!!

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all stop stressing. You and her will have a wonderful trip. The Westerdam is awesome. Just start relaxing and know you have pick one of the best ships with a great crew. And Alaska is spectaular. You got it all going for you, and no one is getting sick this time. Fluke things happen no matter where your at, just to bad it happened on your first cruise. This cruise is going to be the cats meow! Hope you picked a good cabin and try to eat at the Pinnacle one night for dinner.

Oh and welcome to Crusie Critic..

Thanks for posting your experience, I though I was the only one. My appendix let go just before going on a cruise, I thought it was something I ate the night before. Mrs Banjo still wonders why I would not cancel our cruise, but the reason is simple, cruising is just to much fun! don't worry, just get on board & have a great time!

Welcome to CC, and you will have a fabulous time on your cruise. Alaska is stunning, I've been 3 times and will happily go again.:D

First off, if your last (disastrous) cruise was with HAL, you will get an invitation to the Mariners embarkation lunch when you check in. And about that - cruise docs always say that check-in begins at 1pm. Get there earlier, they usually start boarding around 11:30. And on HAL, you can go straight to your cabin now, and drop your bags. Get familiar with the layout of the ship, and just relax and enjoy!

Before you go, find the roll call for your cruise and you will get to know others before you board, and possibly a Meet & Greet will be arranged. Check the ports of call boards as well.

In the Alaska ports there are lots of vendors at the pier where you can arrange excursions for less than the ship price.

You'll have a great time, and you will get lots of info from these forums.:)

Hi and welcome to CC,

I noticed that you are going the middle of May, I suggest you pack warm clothes. We went in the beginning of June and it was very cold by the glaciers so be prepared. But once you do Alaska once you will want to go back again.:)

Thank you we have a balcony gty and will celebrate our anniversary in Ketchikan and dinner in the Pinnacle. We are really excited about this trip thank you for all the advice it is very much appreciated.

Welcome to Cruise Critic

One suggestion which should apply to the Westerdam (it has on the 3 ships I've sailed). Board early, and on the first day there will be a couple of "ship's tours", led by the Cruise Director or one of the assistants. The tour will take you around to all the public areas of the ship to help get over that "where is xxxx? feeling. They will likely be 1, 2 or perhaps 3 pm on embarkation day. They may be buried in a long list of events on the last page of the Explorer, but should also be listed on page 2 under "Exploring our World".

Roy

Shortyson,

Good news. I am also on the WESTERDAM 19 May. Would love to meet your and your wife and show you HAL. I'll give you the royal tour!

When you board, just check with the Guest Relations Manager and ask for me. She will contact me. No problem... just ask for Stephen from Bermuda.

See you in Sunny Seattle!

Stephen

the less time you have to spend learning it on your cruise.

I'm glad your wife is OK. Welcome to HAL.

The biggest mistake we made on our first cruise, in our opinion, was not knowing what we were going to do in each port ahead of time. We spent way too much time on the ship planning, instead of relaxing and enjoying. Since you're going to Alaska, try to have a plan A and plan B. The weather in Alaska is iffy. The ports of call board has a lot of info on excursions.

Read ship reviews, and the CC boards. Join your roll call. Read the thread "HAL secrets" You'll learn a lot. Look through the book on your desk in your stateroom. There's a lot of helpful info in there. Read all the info on the news letter delivered to your stateroom each evening, so you know exactly what is hapening the next day.

Studying the deck plans is a good idea. Stay organized. If we have a port day the next day, we spend a few minutes the night before getting ready, so the day goes smoothly.

Keep a positive attitude. Just as in real life, things don't always go as you planned. So you have to go with the flow and let things go, so you can relax and enjoy.

You will have a great cruise.

Welcome to Cruise Critic

Board early, and on the first day there will be a couple of "ship's tours", led by the Cruise Director or one of the assistants. The tour will take you around to all the public areas of the ship to help get over that "where is xxxx? feeling.

Roy

I agree with Roy take a tour espcially in the Spa area and you might win a free spa treatment.

My other words of advice come from one of our first cruises.

Food in the back of the ship and entertainment in the front of the ship.

Most of all enjoy - Alaska is one of the best cruising places.

Our first cruise, I got noro on Day 6 of a 7 day cruise. It was great up until then but always hated that I'd missed two days being sick in the cabin and even had to lay down on the flight home. I learned a lot from that experience and now I don't touch railings, don't use the public bathrooms, and wash, wash, wash to hopefully avoid it happening in the future. Unfortunately, the issues you experienced were medical and no way to prevent that. Just happy your wife was able to get medical attention and the situation wasn't worse.

We are lovers of the Oosterdam which is the same as Westerdam. Very easy to navigate. The ship has a good flow and I've never felt crowded. Being that we don't sail as often as we'd like, everything is always a little different each time. Check in always seems new to me. I'm always in awe when I walk on the ship. Enjoy every minute you can - the next 7 days will fly by so fast. But, you will be with some of the best crew in the business, IMHO. Don't feel you have to be any specific type of cruiser. It's your vacation, enjoy doing what you want to do when you want to do it. You will have a great time.

After I book a cruise, I spend time on HAL's very user-friendly web site, studying pictures and deck plans. It helps a lot.

Topsham's offer is one I would happily accept. Those of us familiar with his posts know how knowledgeable he is!

Happy cruising.

Don't have a ton of cruises but like others I study the deck plans.

Sounds like you're already on your way to a great cruise. Planning before hand is the key to relaxing and not standing in lines when you'd rather be doing something else.

I make all shore excursions, spa and specialty restaurant reservations before I leave. You're ahead there for a special day.

If you're directionally impaired, entertainment/gym/spa forward and eats aft is good advice. My SIL never could go the right way even after 10 days. And she's one of the most intelligent women I know.

Getting from here to there. I find the steps/elevators aft that will take you to food in MDR and Lido and the steps/elevators forward (the ones past the atrium) will take me to the entertainment areas quickly. I like to walk on a lower, public interior deck to get to these steps/elevators unless I'm on a higher deck. Then I just walk past all the cabins and say hi to my fellow cruisers. Or walk outside on the deck above the Lido.

So once onboard, to our cabin and then to lunch in MDR. The Lido is just too crowded for me. One or the other MDR will be open on most cruises but not all.

Then it's all fun from then on. Relax, be happy!

As you can see by my signature, we have done a lot of Alaska cruises. Please feel free to ask me any questions....I will do my best to answer them.

I agree with boarding the ship as early as possible. Enjoy lunch in the main dining room and then explore the ship at your leisure. We will be on the Westerdam in a few weeks and plan to do just that.

Alaska is beautiful. May can have some of the best weather of the season...seems counterintuitive but it seems to be the truth. Pack layers and take gloves and hats for the glacier viewing day. We have been there in rain and sun....in fact, one year we got sunburns!

Relax and enjoy the trip. You will have a wonderful time!:D

Shortyson,

Good news. I am also on the WESTERDAM 19 May. Would love to meet your and your wife and show you HAL. I'll give you the royal tour!

When you board, just check with the Guest Relations Manager and ask for me. She will contact me. No problem... just ask for Stephen from Bermuda.

Stephen

Shortyson, you have NO idea what an honor it would be to even MEET Stephen... let alone tour the ship with him! He is apparently too modest to let you know who he is in real life... ;)

Such a kind and thoughtful offer, Topsham! You are truly a gentleman.

As was mentioned earlier, pack for cold weather, and, let me add, wet weather at some ports. We were prepared and loved every minute of our Alaska cruise, but heard so many people saying things like "what a shame the cold, wet weather ruined our trip.". It is Alaska, and it will be cold, and in some ports, wet. Pack accordingly and expect that, and you will be one of the happy couples loving Alaska.

Something fun to do on HAL ships is to check out all the art. If you have an iPod or iPhone, you can go to iTunes and download a podcast that will guide you through the ship looking at the art. Search for "Ship Art Tours" and you will find the free tours, and then select the one for the Westerdam. They may have something you can check out at the front desk... I've never tried it.

Take warm and waterproof outerwear and enjoy yourselves. Remember, there is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

We were on The Westerdam in November and LOVED it. The crew was very friendly and look after you extremely well. I suggest you read the daily newsletter - it will give you all sorts of info re: what's going on on the ship. Another cruiser suggested investigating the HAL website - I second that. There is a wealth of info. there and you can prearrange all your excursions, spa appts. if desired, send yourself a bottle of wine or spirits to your cabin, arrange a Pinnacle dinner or Le Cirque dinner etc.

This website is a great tool to use to help you plan your holiday. Ask any question and someone will have an answer, and by the time you board you will be an old pro!

Pat :)

Something fun to do on HAL ships is to check out all the art. If you have an iPod or iPhone, you can go to iTunes and download a podcast that will guide you through the ship looking at the art. Search for "Ship Art Tours" and you will find the free tours, and then select the one for the Westerdam. They may have something you can check out at the front desk... I've never tried it.

Take warm and waterproof outerwear and enjoy yourselves. Remember, there is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

You can check out an iPod from the Librarian - no charge - to take the guided tour of the ship's art. It takes about 45 minutes.

For orientation I have to look at the ship diagrams on the wall when I get off an elevator; pointy end is the front, flat end is the back. These diagrams are at every elevator station. They will also list the facilities on that deck.

One of the first things I check when we board is what time the Passsenger Safety Drill will be and DH and I arrange our time between lunch and then according to our individual preferences, he usually takes pictures outside and goes to the internet cafe to arrange a package, I want to check out the Thermal spa prices and the gym. I"ll also use that time to unpack if our bag(s) have arrived. I always unpack our carryons right after lunch so the room has space for me to do the bulkier unpacking later on. I try to get those dining room clothes hangin up to let the wrinkles fall out. If we're doing Open Dining I make a reservation that allows plenty of time to enjoy sailaway!

As mentioned earlier: food towards the back, Lido up, Main Dining Room down; show lounge front; main desk middle, low. The spa and gym are forward of the buffet; two pools, aft and mid.

It's hsard to have a bad day on a cruise ship... unless of course you are critically ill - OY. No more of that now!! Have a fabulous cruise and don't try to do too much... it's supposed to be a vacation! hopefully you'll be back. m--

Shortyson,

Stephen

Thank you so much You can count on us contacting you when we get on the ship. I am humbled by you generous offer. Will see you in May.

Archived