A quick note from Quest as we make our way towards Hong Kong from Ho Chi Minh City. Having a wonderful time on the ship with warm (hot actually) sunny weather with the odd rain shower typical of this area. *Food has been excellent in the MDR and Prime C which we ate in last night. *

It continues to be the crew that shines brightest. *Nothing is too much trouble and everyone and I mean everyone is friendly and polite. *The White Night party (this being the first I have been to) was very well done. *Officers serving the food. *There was a barbecue on deck today and once again officers were serving including Captain Leif. *He was I think only entrusted with the salad! *I know it has been said on here before that the officer visibility is top, but it really does make a difference to the feel of the cruise.

I am hooked on the Azamara experience now. *It is just a great way to spend time.

Phil

It was nice to start the day with a new "live from the Quest" thread. Enjoy your cruise Phil. Are the Blue Waves as good as you remember?

So glad you are hooked Phil but can hardly say I am surprised!

It is the little things the crew and officers do that make all the difference.

Looking forward to hearing about Hong Kong and China

Enjoy the hot but hope you have your thermals ready for your return to blighty - winter chills are back big time!

good to hear from you Phil. It sounds great and brings back really good memories of our trip last year. You are so right about the Azamara experience and the crew and officers. Enjoy the cruise.

Hilary & Colin

Hi Phil,

Thanks very much for your insights. I'm pleased to hear you are having a great time on Quest. Not that I'm surprised, but it's nice to hear the officers and crew are outstanding on Quest, as we've both experienced on Journey. I'm also enjoying your Facebook photos.

We look forward to your updates. Enjoy the rest of your Cruise !

It continues to be the crew that shines brightest. *Nothing is too much trouble and everyone and I mean everyone is friendly and polite. *The White Night party (this being the first I have been to) was very well done. *Officers serving the food. *There was a barbecue on deck today and once again officers were serving including Captain Leif. *He was I think only entrusted with the salad! *I know it has been said on here before that the officer visibility is top, but it really does make a difference to the feel of the cruise.

Phil

Phil - I will be on the Quest on March 26. What exactly is the "White Night party" you refer to? Also, could you share the names of the key officers and cruise director currently on board? Thanks, Marc

A quick note from Quest as we make our way towards Hong Kong from Ho Chi Minh City. Having a wonderful time on the ship with warm (hot actually) sunny weather with the odd rain shower typical of this area. *Food has been excellent in the MDR and Prime C which we ate in last night. *

I am hooked on the Azamara experience now. *It is just a great way to spend time.

Phil

Just curious, why are "*" everywhere, is it a function of the ship's computer system?

Just curious, why are "*" everywhere, is it a function of the ship's computer system?

Yes this often happens - lets not worry about it - just keep posting Phil, loving the news

Just an update. *The cruise continues to impress. Greta food and super service from everyone.

*Just a note on the entertainment. They have been revamped. *I am not usually a one for the shows, but they have been excellent with very good singers that don't sound like your usual cruise ship stuff and a really enjoyable dance show with top quality ballroom dancers. *Really very enjoyable. *Russ the CD is doing a great job in promoting the acts and the showroom has been packed even with only 422 passengers onboard.

Questions. *cruzeluze, yes the Blue Waves are just as good and Nyoman in Looking Glass does a very good job here!

Rob, my FB photos aren't public, but I will try to post a few photos here on the board when I am back in laptop land.

Marc, the White Night party is a theme of white held on deck when the weather is cooperating. *Officers serve the food and there is a bnad, singers etc. *Singer Bruce Parker on our trip is very good. *Wear some white if you can, but certainly not compulsory. *Current senior crew are Master Captain Leif Karlsson (Finland), Hotel Director Philip Herbert (England)who is the bsst and nicest HD I have experienced, Food and Beverage Manager Ryszard Gusman (Poland), CD Russ Thomas Grieve (US), Guest Relations Manager Nikki Denyer (UK), Chief Housekeeper Edwin Gonzalves. * All of them are very visible around the ship.

The asterisks seem to appear because I am copy and pasting from the iPad notes app.

Booked another trip on this ship already for later this year. *Can't keep away from Azamara and the £400 discount for booking onboard was welcome.

We leave for Taiwan in an hour and a half at the time of the laser lights show here in Hong Kong, but I think it was better yesterday because it has been foggy here today.

I have also met some great people from the roll call or via it and we are all having a blast.

Apologies for any typos as I am rushing. I have already used my free 237 minutes and am onto the second paid 237. Facebook does that!

Phil

Bruce Parker - he was on our New Year/Rio to BA trip - now you will know why I said the New Year parties rocked even when the weather was a little off - he is a bundle of energy and has a great voice.

Hi to Edwin - another one avoiding us ;)

Booking again - you know the ones to choose - just look at our sig!!!!

From last night's laser show in Hong Kong. Hope that worked. If it has I will try and post some more later on in the cruise.

Phil

Yes it worked Phil - great photo. We look forward to seeing more photos. Enjoy your Cruise.

Current senior crew are Master Captain Leif Karlsson (Finland), Hotel Director Philip Herbert (England)who is the bsst and nicest HD I have experienced, Food and Beverage Manager Ryszard Gusman (Poland), CD Russ Thomas Grieve (US)
Really enjoying your posts and pics, especially since we will join Quest in Asia very shortly.

On our upcoming cruise, it's been reported that we'll have the same senior team, except Ryszard Gusman will be our Hotel Director. So I guess congrats are in order if he'll soon receive a promotion from his current F&B Manager role.

If you have the chance can you find out who the Captain will be on the Sept 15th sailing?

Glad to read you are having a wonderful cruise!

Bruce is great. I have a photo of him on my phone. He used me in his show and ihad fun..

d0727165-3ecc-5d80.jpg
Is that Hong Kong? We were there in 2006, on a land trip (by air) to Tokyo and Hong Kong. We had also been there in May, 1997. The "skyline" surely changes quickly.

Really enjoying your posts and pics, especially since we will join Quest in Asia very shortly.

On our upcoming cruise, it's been reported that we'll have the same senior team, except Ryszard Gusman will be our Hotel Director. So I guess congrats are in order if he'll soon receive a promotion from his current F&B Manager role.

Hi Ryszard moves up to Hotel Director when Philip is on leave, he is excellent, very approachable. When both are on board they make a good team.

Hilary

Ryszard often takes over as HD. He is very good indeed. And very cute to look at too. Or so my DW keeps telling me ;)

Phil - so glad you are having another great time on the Quest. We sailed with you this past August and had a wonderful time. Enjoy every minute! Just a bit jealous we're not enjoying the wonderful crew and cruise with you.

Kathy and Ed

Diane. Very ordinary Sony Cybershot that has a mind of its own, but does take some good pictures.

Phil

It sure does!

Diane

We are approaching Nagasaki and will lose internet/satellite whilst there so another update before that. Rocky night last night means we are going to be 3 hours or so late. We will leave later toward Shanghai for some tours to continue. We are told the weather will improve, but gone is the balminess of the tropics and it's 50 degrees F now. More like home!

It has been a wonderful trip in which our small roll call of strangers has become a group of great new friends. We have been very lucky there and with a crew who are tops. This has been one of the very best cruises I have done. It is all over far too quickly, but I will be looking forward to being back on Quest in November. At least two from our roll call will be on that one too, just before the ship goes into dry dock for its refurb.

Phil

d0727165-7185-f741.jpg

So glad you are having a great cruise Phil.

I'm not at all jealous!!!! :rolleyes:

But it won't be long until mine now. :D

Hello Phil -

I've enjoyed immersing myself in your wonderful Quest documentary and enjoying the stunning photos of the Quest.

We appreciate your time and effort to chronicle your experiences and thoughts and truly value your wonderful comments about our staff as they delivered "one of the very best cruises I have done."

We look forward to welcoming you onboard the Azamara Quest in November!

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

We are approaching Nagasaki and will lose internet/satellite whilst there so another update before that. Rocky night last night means we are going to be 3 hours or so late. We will leave later toward Shanghai for some tours to continue. We are told the weather will improve, but gone is the balminess of the tropics and it's 50 degrees F now. More like home!

Great photo. Maybe just me but I'm partial to ship photos or photos of the sea. you mentioned it was rocky, how was the ship handling the conditions perhaps compared to other ships you have been on?

Rob

Ryszard often takes over as HD. He is very good indeed. And very cute to look at too. Or so my DW keeps telling me ;)

Love Ryszard. What a great job he does! Actually set up a movie on deck one night to view Slumdog Millionaire as we were sailing towards Mumbai last year. And had a special 'popcorn cart' he had proudly purchased previously and couldn't wait to use. Thoroughly enjoyed both ;) Is Rudy still aboard? Kudos to him also for making our Quest trip quite memorable. Enjoying your posts, Phil.

Rob, I too love the sea shots and wanted to post them so those reading the thread could imagine themselves back on the ship. Seas in the night between Taiwan and Nagasaki peaked at about 5.5 metres with a good swell from the open Pacific and for most of the day it was 3 metres plus which explained our delay. The Captain takes no risks so our speed was down to 14 knots most of the time until the sea calmed as we approached Japan and we were back up to 17 knots. Overall I thought the ship handled it very well. More movement than a larger ship, but a reminder that one is out at sea suits me.

A word on the immigration in Japan. What a process. Every passenger had to have their landing cards checked, index finger prints done and photo taken. It took a long time. Our tour didn't start until 5.30 or so. Two hours after the ship docked. A word about the shorex team. What a grea job they did keeping everyone calm, particularly Errol who is just so funny when he has a microphone in his hand. Two of the passengers even did a musical turn on the stage in the Cabaret Lounge whilst we waited.

So today is packing day and I will be flying home from Shanghai tomorrow leaving a wonderful ship and great new friends, some of whom will be travelling around further after their cruise. Lucky, lucky.

I am glad that you enjoyed reading my reports and wish you the best time on your future cruises.

Phil

d0727165-c987-d654.jpg

Meant to say with regard to the ship movement, my cabin is 8054 which is pretty much midship, but it was really moving nearer the front in Looking Glass and Jim Badger had to abandon his performance there because it was just moving too much. It was one of the only nights I didn't partake in a late night dance in the Looking Glass. Discretion the better part of valour!

Phil

Crew talent night was a lot of fun last night and they sure do have some real talent. The house was packed and no-one was disappointed.

It is all over and I am now in my day room in Shanghai before flying back to London via Dubai later this evening. It was seemless getting off the ship and sad to say cheerio to all the friends made on the trip. The Captain and a number of the senior crew were there to wish us well at the gangway.

Sunrise over Shanghai this morning taken from the balcony. The next Quest cruisers have a nice day to leave:

74f774a3-06b1-6200.jpg

Phil

Safe trip home Phil and thanks for the wonderful updates. You certainly captured some lovely images and this all encourages me to want to make the trip myself