Staggered Boarding??

Retired 07

I'm curious what would happen if they can't get the 2:30 pm people all checked in and on board by 3 pm? Is the 3pm time a Princess deadline or a Homeland Security deadline (doesn't everyone have to be checked in at least 90 minutes prior to departure)?

We got "the email" one day before flying out for Rio for Star Princess Jan. 21, 2012. We are Platinum and our TA calmed me down by saying the Princess rep said we would get Platinum boarding for all in our party. It was not a problem for us and check in among the smoothest ever but I did see so many ways it could go awful!

The port in Rio is turn of the century and the road down to the pier is narrow brick lane. Not much room for lines or check in. There were 4 ships in that day and I did see from the deck that lines were huge and IN THE SUN!. Loading for the turn around was also extremely difficult with no place for large trucks -- large busses also a problem. Just no choice by Princess -- it is what it is and they have to dock where they are told. Remember this when Rio tries to use ships for extra sleeping rooms for Olympics and Carnival.

We basically ignored the email and boarded about 12:30 PM and the whole procedure took only 1/2 hour or so. The traffic jam was longer than the check in time but that was norm for Rio the 5 days we were there. Later the lines looked much longer and Princess was the first ship so did not have to deal with the shuttle system as the last 2 ships did and as we did when disembarking in Chile. Shuttle-- Princess has no "say-so" either so they do the best they can. Again Rio port was so old that there was really not a very good situation for mobility issue passengers either in the checkin hall.

I think that perhaps there is no solution and it is one of the downers of travel that you just have to put up with. Those of us who hang out on Cruise Critic and take many cruises will continue to show up when we want and luckily this time we were allowed in when we arrived.:o If I start getting turned away I wil be :mad::mad: but secretly I can see that the cruise line really has no good option. Also consider that the city or port authority does not care if you are Platinum or Elite and you are "just regular people" standing in the traffic jam to get to the port area to stand in the check in line before you get lunch a bathroom and a stiff drink. Wouldn't it be great if the whole world moved aside so I would be happier at check-in BUT I bet that doesn't happen!:p And yes according to our Captain Princess pays big bucks extra to get priority docking "IF AVAILABLE". Cruise Critic members are so tiny a fraction of folks on cruise --maybe the email is enough to get "some" to come at a different time than the "lunch on board" rush hour.

a not from Princess about the 3/19 sailing from San FRancisco

Star Princess

Voyage 9207N

Sail Date March 19, 2012

CRUISE CHECK-IN TIME REVISED:

Due to multiple cruise ships in port, check-in will now begin at 2:00 pm. To ensure a smooth start to your voyage, we operate a staggered check-in schedule. Please arrive at your scheduled check-in time as noted below, determined by your deck and cabin number. Due to security regulations and very limited space, passengers arriving prior to their check-in time will not be permitted to enter the terminal and will be asked to return as their scheduled time. Priority check-in will be available for Preferred passengers within your allocated check-in time. Boarding will commence shortly after check-in. All

passengers must be onboard by 4:00 pm.

2:00 PM - Caribe & Lido Decks / Cabins C101-C753, L201 - L312

2:30 PM - Baja & Plaza Decks / Cabins B201-B751, P201 - P337

3:00 PM - Aloha & Emerald Decks / Cabins A201-A749, E101-E733

3:30 PM - Dolphin Deck / Cabins D103 - D737

Thank you for your attention to this important reminder. We look forward to welcoming you onboard Princess Cruises.

Star Princess

Voyage 9207N

Sail Date March 19, 2012

Due to multiple cruise ships in port, check-in will now begin at 2:00 pm. To ensure a smooth start to your voyage, we operate a staggered check-in schedule. Please arrive at your scheduled check-in time as noted below, determined by your deck and cabin number. Due to security regulations and very limited space, passengers arriving prior to their check-in time will not be permitted to enter the terminal and will be asked to return as their scheduled time. Priority check-in will be available for Preferred passengers within your allocated check-in time. Boarding will commence shortly after check-in. All

passengers must be onboard by 4:00 pm.

2:00 PM - Caribe & Lido Decks / Cabins C101-C753, L201 - L312

2:30 PM - Baja & Plaza Decks / Cabins B201-B751, P201 - P337

3:00 PM - Aloha & Emerald Decks / Cabins A201-A749, E101-E733

3:30 PM - Dolphin Deck / Cabins D103 - D737

Thank you for your attention to this important reminder. We look forward to welcoming you onboard Princess Cruises.

I just looked at cruisett dot com which shows the port and ship schedules It shows the Star Princess to be the only ship in SF on 3/19/12-

I would be livid if I missed the Chef's Table or Ultimate Ship's Tour because of not being allowed to board early. If they are going to enforce this, then first come, first served, should not apply to any special event like those. They should have online reservations, or do the invitations completely at random.

Star Princess

Voyage 9207N

Sail Date March 19, 2012

Due to security regulations and very limited space, passengers arriving prior to their check-in time will not be permitted to enter the terminal and will be asked to return as their scheduled time.

Question. "When they turn people away, do they give out 'meal vouchers' to use ashore before boarding?":rolleyes:

john

I just looked at cruisett dot com which shows the port and ship schedules It shows the Star Princess to be the only ship in SF on 3/19/12-

Evidently Oriana is there on her world cruise and will be embarking about 700 people.

My math is slipping, but I was trying to figure out how easy it would be to embark 2400 people in two hours. Figuring each couple takes about 4 minutes (if lucky) with the check-in person, I come up with needing 40 efficient check-in people. Wonder how many Princess has?

Evidently Oriana is there on her world cruise and will be embarking about 700 people.

My math is slipping, but I was trying to figure out how easy it would be to embark 2400 people in two hours. Figuring each couple takes about 4 minutes (if lucky) with the check-in person, I come up with needing 40 efficient check-in people. Wonder how many Princess has?

It would be a little easier than what Princess tried to do in Iceland, one time.

They attempted to get cruisers ashore to fill 35 full sized 'busses in 15 a minute time span. It took me 2 hours! The ship was delayed leaving port by one hour, because the later 'busses could not get back in time! I happen to know this because I heard our guide calling the ship to say that we would not make it back as scheduled.

john

john

It seems to me that if there is going to be staggered boarding, no one should be allowed to make reservations for the Chef's Table etc. until AFTER the ship has set sail. How hard would it be to not open a reservation deck until 4 p.m.? Everyone benefits, because then if you're an early boarder you have the time to relax and not feel rushed to be first in every line.

It seems to me that if there is going to be staggered boarding, no one should be allowed to make reservations for the Chef's Table etc. until AFTER the ship has set sail. How hard would it be to not open a reservation deck until 4 p.m.? Everyone benefits, because then if you're an early boarder you have the time to relax and not feel rushed to be first in every line.

Excellent idea as is Paul's to hold a lottery. Me--not a problem because I have no desire to do either activity. Now preregister for a prime laundry time! I'm there.:p

Excellent idea as is Paul's to hold a lottery. Me--not a problem because I have no desire to do either activity. Now preregister for a prime laundry time! I'm there.:p

Like you we have never signed up or attempted to sign up for the Chef's table, ultimate ship tour or the sancutary, so I have no vested interest in any of them. And I am Elite, so don't need laundry time.

People would get in line as soon as they boarded. Look at how many people spend days in line in the freezing cold to get a $1000 tv for $300 on black Friday.

I like Paul's idea of a lottery.

We just disembarked from the Diamond Princess. Our boarding day was Feb. 4th in Sydney & we had also received information from our TA about the assigned boarding by deck. In addition this notice was written in our cruise personalizer. Our cabin was on Caribe deck and Caribe had been assigned the last boarding time at 4:00 p.m. Our roll call was worried until an Australian TA in the Sydney area informed her clients that the ship was boarding passengers as they arrived as always and that the notice was really just a "suggestion." Anyways, we arrived at noon and went right through with no problems along with others regardless of deck.

My TA provides a bus with several pickup locations heading to the ship. Not sure how Princess will know whether or not that I am "on the bus". Not all of the TA's clients choose this option. In the case of only some people getting the email, it will be very difficult to have bus riders receiving different slots for embarkation.

My TA provides a bus with several pickup locations heading to the ship. Not sure how Princess will know whether or not that I am "on the bus". Not all of the TA's clients choose this option. In the case of only some people getting the email, it will be very difficult to have bus riders receiving different slots for embarkation.

That would also be true for those that use the Cruise Conncection bus that picks up at certain cities in FL taking you to Fort Lauderdale.

Well, we are boarding the Star on Monday in SFO, and we are Elite and our friends are Platinum, so I am holding out hope that we can all board when we arrive at the pier between 11:30and 12 noon.

If it turns out that Princess is as rigid in adhereing to the staggered boarding schedule as their email claims they will be, it's not going to be a pleasant start to our long awaited cruise. I can just envision hundreds of people milling about outside the terminal waiting to be allowed in. And there will be a lot of grumpy passengers!!!

You will board when your bus arrives, so no need to worry in advance.

Not exactly analogous. A hotel is charging you for a bed, so you pay by the night. Doesn't matter if you check in at 3:00 p.m., 1:00 a.m. after a late flight. If your head hits the pillow 3 times, you pay for three nights. But on a cruise, you are paying for room and board. A 7 day voyage should include 21 meals. On a Saturday-Saturday voyage, you get three meals Sunday through Friday (18 meals). You get breakfast on your Saturday disemarkation day. Contrary to what was posted above, that meal is not a "freebie". That brings us to 19 meals. The 20th and 21st are supposed to be lunch and dinner on embarkation day. So if you don't get to board until 3:00, you most certainly are being deprived of one of your 21 paid-for meals. Early boarders aren't getting an "extra" meal. Rather, late boarders are getting one less than they paid for.

Your explanation hurts my head but saying all that I'm pretty sure on our 15 day cruise ending on Tuesday we had at least 672 meals. At least, my scale sure shows that. :p

There are a number of factors in play for the Star Princess on 3/19 in San Francisco.

One. the ship will be going through a thorough Coast Guard inspection AFTER all 2400 people disembark the ship. This means it will probably not even start until after 10:00 AM. No one can board until the inspection has been completed.

Two. Both Oriana and Star will be disembarking passengers (2400+ for Star and 900+ for Oriana) that means 3000+ people getting transportation from the pier. Buses, cars, taxis,limos.

Three. Both ships will be boarding passengers Star is full and Oriana will be boarding about 900. Both check-ins will be in the same terminal, (one side for Princess, one side for P&O)

Four. The terminal can only hold so many people, therefore guests will not be allowed into the terminal until their scheduled check-in time. Check-in for Princess WILL NOT start until the ship is cleared for boarding as there in not enough waiting area in the terminal. So, if you show up early, you will not even be allowed into the terminal building.

This is all because of the Americas cup and new terminal construction that has close the old pier 27 making it necessary to have both ships at Pier 35.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Archived