Half Moon Cay vs Nassau

Shutterlady

We were in Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman last November and the weather was fine for snorkeling and swimming. Is it going to be to cold in January to go swimming in HMC, Nassau and Grand Turk?? It's just that we can only cruise in January due to our business situation. We have to go when it's slow.

The only place we can go from here is Cabo. Been there, done that. Trying to find something nice and warm, not necessarily hot, just warmish.

Is it going to be to cold in January to go swimming in HMC, Nassau and Grand Turk??

I cruised to the Bahamas in both Dec & Jan and the water was too cold to enjoy. There were a few people in the water. I tried, just couldn't do it.

Again, HMC and Nassau are going to be colder then Cozumel Belize and Roatan in January.

Not saying it will be cold . Look up ave temps for these places when you are looking to go. Bahamas will be iffy.

Certainly more so then Cozumel Belize and Roatan. Good luck.

We are looking at a HMC/Liberty cruise in the fall. When do you consider to be the best time to take this cruise? We are from Iowa and fear those hurricanes. Last Thanksgiving we did the Western Caribbean (Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, GC) and really look forward to HMC. Will have kids 5 and 8 with us.

I guess it's working out to be pretty unanimous. I did really want to see HMC. How far out can you actually book your cabana if I choose that cruise?

I booked my Cabana the day after I booked my cruise. They go fast so don't wait. Out of the 15 available, right now there are only 2 left on my sailing in May.

My wife and I have been to Nassau twice before, but on our last cruise Oct. 2011. We went to Half Moon Cay and had the perfect time there. We rented one of the 15 private Cabanas, and it was a wonderful experience. The perfect relaxing fun filled day. We would definately tell you that Half Moon Cay is the better place.

Have never been to HMC but would choose almost any other port over Nassau.

Our next sailing (April) goes to Nassau and we are just planning to stay on the ship other than hitting Senor Frogs for some beverages...

IMO Nassau is a waste of a stop with really nothing worthwhile to do beyond Atlantis - which is overpriced IMO.

I'd go with Fantasy out of Charleston, SC for Half Moon Cay.

Different style ship than you've already sailed and goes to paradise on earth. Note the suites on this ship are either what would be a balcony cabin on other ships, or a nice large suite on the upper deck.

Really can't compare Nassau to HMC.

You guys are so funny! Why do they even go to Nassau, no one likes it LOL. Last night I spent the evening trying to pretend price some airfare, but can only really go out as far as October. We are trying to incorporate a business trip to Alabama, then on to Charleston SC. That's why I wondered if we should just cruise from there. But, I do like the Liberty.

I'm going to check the Destiny one, I guess I didn't see that one last night.

Thanks for all the great help everyone.

Maybe we're the only ones who feel this way. :confused:

We won't book a cruise because of one port of call. Things can happen that keep the ship from making the port stop or for us to enjoy it if they did.

Once on a HAL ship, it was rainy and windy the day of our scheduled stop at HMC. The Captain announced that no port stop would be made because he felt none of us would enjoy our day there. He was very right!

Well, my husband thinks he wants to go on the Liberty again. But, it only goes to HMC on the 1/19/13 trip. So only one choice I guess. And, it doesn't show any Ocean Suites available. I can't believe that. There are aft wraps and premium balconies, but no ocean suites???? Guess I'll have to give them a call. Hopefully it's a glitch. Fingers crossed.

The Fantasy goes to Grand Turk, HMC and Nassau. But, I think he would like the Liberty more.

*sigh*

We're looking at taking this Liberty cruise as well. I would definitely pick the Liberty cruise over the Fantasy. The ports are better and so is the ship.

It's comparing apples and oranges...No doubt about it..HMC is absolutely gorgeous and the ONLY way to do HMC is to book a cabana. (We had cabana 9...less of a crowd and not too far a walk to food pavillion and rest rooms right behind it..and water craft/snorkel equipment right near it too).

I'm not a fan of Nassau. I wouldn't NOT book a cruise if it were included in the itinerary, but I'd probably stay on the ship...it's that kind of a port for me.

HMC is a gorgeous place. I have been there 3 x and LOVE it! Nassau is ok...been there tons of times. I would choose HMC. I love the Fantasy too...we sailed her last October. We had an port hole ( E8) it was a HUGE room. I would not book the suites on Fantasy due to the smallish balconies. I would rather have E8...lots of room!

Been to Nassau three times, been to HMC three times. I'd take HMC in a heartbeat. Gorgeous beach, nice swimming, and no one crowding around you to offer hair braiding. As for sailing on Fantasy - we sailed her in August after 14 cruises on larger ships. We loved her. No, she doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the larger ships, but she has a lot to offer.

Speaking of Hair Braiding we got my son's hair done at HMC and they did an amazing job for a portion of the cost!!!! I wouldnt hesitate to ever go again!!! OH YA I am going there in NOVEMBER!!!!!

I would take nearly ANY port over Nassau (except maybe Freeport). Nassau is good for a beach day, but otherwise, don't care for it. Always love the private islands - now THAT is one relaxing day for sure!

Archived