Are ther roaming charges for cell phone usage in the Bahamas?

I took my Blackberry into Freeport. Had it turned on for 2 whole hours, took one picture of my daughter getting her hair braided, and texted the pic to my mother back in Canada. When my cell bill came in the next month, the Bahamas mobile company charged me almost $70.

You definitely need to check with your carrier to see what you plan covers, or whether you can add international to it for a month and go back to normal later.

We have AT&T and will need to check in with work from time to time. Are the cell phone minutes considered roaming in the Bahamas and St Thomas? I'm referring to in port as opposed to on the ship. Thank you for your help.

......more sorry you have to check into work from time to time!

• 1 year later...
We have AT&T and will need to check in with work from time to time. Are the cell phone minutes considered roaming in the Bahamas and St Thomas? I'm referring to in port as opposed to on the ship. Thank you for your help.

There is a company online that rents pocket wifi devices, and local smartphones for your trip to the Bahamas. I think you can also purchase sim cards for unlocked cell phones as well. That way you don't have to worry about data roaming charges! :) www.pocketwifibahamas.com