New balcony furniture on Caribe deck on Grand

Gettingwarmer

Does anyone think I could borrow chairs from Lido deck? Would the Cabin steward remove them? I need chairs for teens who are in an inside cabin and will visit us for breakfast, we have 2 balconies and an inside for 7 people.

I've been told that you may not remove furniture from the Lido deck to use on balconies.

Guess Princess are making a rod for their own back, we will move the chairs by the desk from the cabins onto the Balcony, if steward moves them back, we will move them daily, then all 7 of us will have seats for breakfast. I thinkl Princess will find the interior chairs will deteriate more quickly costing them more money!!!!

For us, the furniture shown in this mini-suite balcony works for a Caribe deck balcony & I'm very thankful that Princess reacted so quickly with a compromise solution.

While the new changes won't please everyone (those who entertain or have more than 2 passengers) the majority of us only use the 2 other chairs as an ottoman so this change actually works better for us...thanks Princess! :)

IMG_0041.jpg

I agree that works well for 2 ppl and that's the way I'd be cruising :)

-KD

Guess Princess are making a rod for their own back, we will move the chairs by the desk from the cabins onto the Balcony, if steward moves them back, we will move them daily, then all 7 of us will have seats for breakfast. I thinkl Princess will find the interior chairs will deteriate more quickly costing them more money!!!!

I have 2 teens and I find that they make due with what is available. Mine would rather sit on an ottoman than haul chairs down from the Lido deck. As a matter of fact If I sent them up to the Lido deck for chairs they would probably say to themselves "screw that" and just eat at the buffet while they were up there.

And the problem with sleeping on your own balcony at night is??? Maybe people snore too loudly.;)

Princess should really think sometime to ask passengers what they would like.

That was my question. Do people from other rooms take a peek.

I can't help but wonder if this is all part of the "NEW configuring" of the ships. (mid, forward mid, aft mid, aft; non -public etc etc (gag) you know the pricing will change with all that) maybe the "A balconies" will get the better furniture, B balconies less etc etc.

I noticed that Princess is changing all their ships configuration, are all the ships heading back into dry-dock?

We just finished a cruise on the Crown (returned March 31) and had booked an extended balcony (BA). Much to my dismay our large balcony had just the two uncomfortable partial recliners and no ottomons (along with an extremely small table). We asked the steward to bring us a third chair as our daughter was in our room with us but he said he couldn't and I believe him as he was the best steward we have ever had. We were very disappointed as we really like to recline on our balcony especially on sea days. I sure hope this changes as previously stated in prior posts.

Did you take this up with anyone in Hotel Management? That is going to be my first stop next week if I cannot get a third chair for my third paying passenger.

I like that they got rid of that plastic furniture. The new furniture looks much nicer but the table is cute but small. I do love a Balcony on Caribe. The balcony is I believe almost 50% bigger and the cabins are a bit deeper.

I noticed that Princess is changing all their ships configuration, are all the ships heading back into dry-dock?

They're only changing the pricing structure to get into the 21st Century based on their research about passengers preferences. No longer will higher deck cabins be the most expensive but instead it will be based on whether it's midship, aft or forward with midship being the most expensive.

This is very disappointing news. Although we sail minisuites theses days, if we ever need to book a standard balcony again, there is no reason to pay extra for Caribe deck. I really wonder what Princess was thinking on this one. How will they justify the additional charge for Caribe deck? I wonder if they have changed the minisuite furniture too.

Mt problem with mini is I don't like sitting in the sun all the time. I would rather have a larger (at least I did) balcony, with some cover.

Mt problem with mini is I don't like sitting in the sun all the time. I would rather have a larger (at least I did) balcony, with some cover.

I agree. I prefer a covered balcony with shade, which is why I book the Emerald deck mini suites. They have balconies that are completely covered unlike the Dolphin deck minis. If they interest you, try to book early because the grand class ships have only a handful of the Emerald deck minis and they tend to sell out quickly.

No, all the ships are not going into drydock. Princess is reconfiguring/pricing their various cabin categories next spring. That is why the website asks you to choose whether you are sailing before or after April/May of next year.

Mentioned on page 1 of this thread

"We were on Diamond Princess in November 2011 when the furniture on the deck was replaced whilst we were in Bangkok! Could not believe it when we came back to our room and found 2 (uncomfortable) chairs and 1 very small table. We tried and tried and tried to obtain an ottoman or 2 recliners for our very large Caribe balcony but to no avail! My DH has a back complaint and could not sit at the chairs for any period of time. He said that the old furtniture (prior to Bangkok) was great. It was also impossible to each breakfast on the deck. Very strange decision! "

Are you sure some worker wasn't outside the port selling furnture.

Idiots! That's because the brochure does not show the Caribe balcony seperately and I presume you named this in your email. As many have said before the people at these places do not know exactly what the ships are like as they have not sailed in all the different ships and staterooms.

I think this is the standard Princess reply. It didn't change from England to Santa Clarita.

Absolutely agree. Love Princess - we have always booked mid-ship AA & AB's for the extra space/bath - we really do not like these fully uncovered balconies & and do not want the fore/aft covered Mini's. So after many years with Princess we have recently booked with both RCL & NCL (never thought we'd do that) for their "covered" JS/Mini Staterooms + IMO better itineraries just to see what we may be missing. But - we are still big Princess fans .. just don't like the uncovered mini's with no "blue mats" & limited adult furniture.

Please don't shoot the messenger....but those of you sailing in April should recognize that this change started occurring as far back as December...and apparently is still going on according to recent posts. Even if Princess made a decision today it will take time to order furniture and deploy it on all ships, a process that has taken at least four months to achieve in the current form. If your ship has already been reported as being re-fitted, and the number and type of balcony chairs are truly important to you, you may want to assess your cabin choices. That probably holds for any cruise in the next three to four months.:(

That was the first thing that came to my mind also.

Understand where you are coming from and we will enjoy our Transatlantic cruise on the Grand in 2 weeks time:) but it is hard to assess the cabin choice when the cruise is sold out.

Our biggest issue was there was no written communication from Princess that these changes were being made, not saying that they should of written to every individual but they could of posted on their website.

As you stated that this started last November, if told then one would of then been able to assess the cabin choice before final payments had been made. We only found out earlier this month whilst on the Grand and many loyal customers were very angry that they did not find out until they got to their cabin.

Being a loyal Elite member who has done 6 Princess cruises in the last 20 months still think Princess cruises are great but their PR needs a lot to be desired.

I think Princess was hoping that we were just sheep, and would go along with whatever they did.

We don't think you are complaining Nancy,just sharing your concerns like the rest of us:) Of course you are having a good time after all You are on a shipl:D

The question we are asking ourselves is after we use our Fcc's will we still be on a Princess ship?

Enjoy that wonderful sea air!

Reader

I was happy to read that Princess has FNC, on the ship.

absolutily, thst's why I posted that pic, we had breakfast on the abreviated!

have to agree this does nothing to promote ultimate balcony dining or breakfast dining at all, i had not seen this nor travelled on her since may...a shame.....i do not understand it at all. I personally like the chairs but hey, if they don't work with a larger table for space reasons, not worth it, the mesh is obviously light and flame resistant which could be a reason for that switch...remember, the skywalkers refit was done for fuel comsumption and lightening anything lightens this...wonder if this was the thought/ and the table looks SO light that it makes me wonder if it would go astray if not watched closely....also don't like the height on that as if not bolted down could be used by a child at the rail

Anyone seen the additional furniture arrive on the caribe decks yet?

How long do you think it will take Princess to re-instate the furniture? I will feel much better once I know this 'furniture order' has been fulfilled.

sorry if i'm beating a dead horse, i didn't catch up on all the posts. we sailed the Crown on 3/31 and just wanted to report that the furniture on the Caribe balcony's and the mini-suites the deck below were the new furniture pictured here. but they still have the plastic/rubber mat on the floor of all balcony's. and the furniture on the regular balcony's (Baja, Aloha, etc) is the old chairs and tables.

we were on Aloha and so happy to find the old stuff. we had room service on the balcony several times and there would have been no way the new footstool of a table on Caribe would have worked. We'd have to bring out the round glass/wood table from the room.

i wish i had taken a picture, as the room on Caribe below us had the table at the end of a chair one day and I thought "don't think of it as losing a table, think of it as gaining a footstool" :)

but it's all quite silly... why only implement half the plan? caribe and dolphin (i think i'm bad with the order of the floors) get the new tables and chairs but all the rest of the floor still have the old? worked in my favor but still silly.

We read the reports about the new furniture and were not looking forward to what we were going to get on our Caribe balcony. We had booked B2B cruises Crown Princess to the Caribbean and then transatlantic on the Grand.

The TWO chairs on our balcony were most uncomfortable - even padding them out with blankets, towels and pillows. The table far too small to have meals on.

The chair is either too upright or when on the first recline position you tend to slip forward and almost fall off.

The Grand did not have the blue matting therefore this area was slippery when wet. There was also considerable noise when fellow passengers moved their furniture.

These chairs are poorly manufactured and are already showing signs of wear and tear due to the fact that they have not been finished off properly. These can be quite dangerous and we even asked for one to be changed due to rough edges which could cause injury.

The Caribe balconies look so bare with very little furniture on them. It used to be our favorite place to relax - not any more !!

If Princess add more of the same chairs - they will STILL be most uncomfortable.

• 4 weeks later...
We appreciate your feedback about the furniture on Caribe deck balconies. After hearing your comments, we're pleased to tell you that we've decided to make a change. These balconies will now offer two reclining chairs, two ottomans and a dining table. We're in the process of ordering this new furniture and expect it to roll out over the coming months. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Great News, glad to hear you take customers complaints and act on them :)

Archived