New balcony furniture on Caribe deck on Grand

Gettingwarmer

I am impressed that Princess was so responsive on this issue! Thank you to the powers that be at Princess.

As far as not returning to 4 chairs on Caribe deck and the minisuite balconies that probably works well for most people who are traveling two to a cabin. When they are just two of us I would prefer 2 chairs and 2 footstools over 4 chairs.

However, I hope Princess will provide 3 or 4 chairs for those who are traveling 3 or 4 to a cabin as we are on our cruise next month. I hope they authorize the cabin stewards to bring a third or fourth chair if they are requested to do so. Providing an extra chair or two when requested will work best for everyone. That way those traveling just two to a cabin won't be overcrowded with deck furniture and those traveling with more than two to a cabin will have enough chairs for everyone.

We appreciate your feedback about the furniture on Caribe deck balconies. After hearing your comments, we're pleased to tell you that we've decided to make a change. These balconies will now offer two reclining chairs, two ottomans and a dining table. We're in the process of ordering this new furniture and expect it to roll out over the coming months. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

WOW! I can't believe the public has been heard and it made a difference. Nice to see that Princess can respond in a positive manner and please their loyal customer base. Too late to make my Caribe balcony more enjoyable but hopefully better for the future.

Sue

Now if the mini suites could go back to having four chairs rather than two chairs and two ottoman type stools.

Actually, I quite like the idea of the 2 chairs & foot stools on the mini balconies. We always found it too crowded with 4 chairs so we would stack the 2 chairs on themselves. Guess that's why there is chocolate & vanilla!

Actually, I quite like the idea of the 2 chairs & foot stools on the mini balconies. We always found it too crowded with 4 chairs so we would stack the 2 chairs on themselves. Guess that's why there is chocolate & vanilla!

If you only have two people in the room, I understand. But when you have more than two, the current setting make it a bit uncomfortable.

If you only have two people in the room, I understand. But when you have more than two, the current setting make it a bit uncomfortable.

Oh, that I certainly agree with. Each cabin balcony should come with as many chairs as people in the cabin.

Same with us. We only need 2 chairs & last cruise we piled the 2 extras on top of the table in a corner to give more room & each day the steward would un-pile them each day & set it up.

I think their decision to only put 2 chairs there was probably because most cabins only need 2 and if you need more they'll be provided as needed. It's probably easier than removing the extras if unwanted.

I think their decision to only put 2 chairs there was probably because most cabins only need 2 and if you need more they'll be provided as needed. It's probably easier than removing the extras if unwanted.

I sure hope that this is true. We have yet to hear from anyone whether or not this is the case. My fear is that even if it is the "company policy", we all know how company policy often fails to make its way down to the rank and file. See, e.g.: Dress Code; 15 minute chair hog rule; transition to new coffee card; MDR lunch on embarkation day among others. It doesn't take a vivid imagination to conjure up a scenario where your cabin steward "insists" that each balcony is limited to two chairs, and on-board supervisors back up this conclusion, even if corporate says otherwise. An after-the-fact apology will do little to cure the problem once the cruise is over. It sure would be nice for Princess to come right out and state what their policy is. Their silence on this issue is worrisome.

I have been following this thread with some interest. This may be a bit off topic, but there does not seem to have been a similar reaction to the disappearance of all of the chairs from the promenade deck. When I first started cruising with Princess there were teak steamer chairs placed all along the promenade deck. These have all been removed and replaced by some wooden benches that double up as life vest storage. It might appear cynical but perhaps Princess don't want customers to sit around on the promende deck since there are no bars or other revenue streams there.

Mick

15 minute chair hog rule

I think you're got that time a little off. Isn't it more like 45 minutes.

It might appear cynical but perhaps Princess don't want customers to sit around on the promende deck since there are no bars or other revenue streams there.

Mick

I never thought of it in those terms but you just might be right.

I think a few people probably did this which is why they changed to two chairs in the first place!

I think a few people probably did this which is why they changed to two chairs in the first place!

I know when we asked the steward to remove the 2 non reclining chairs he told us they had to stay with the cabin so we started to pile them up each day & he'd put them back each evening.

I have been following this thread with some interest. This may be a bit off topic, but there does not seem to have been a similar reaction to the disappearance of all of the chairs from the promenade deck. When I first started cruising with Princess there were teak steamer chairs placed all along the promenade deck. These have all been removed and replaced by some wooden benches that double up as life vest storage. It might appear cynical but perhaps Princess don't want customers to sit around on the promende deck since there are no bars or other revenue streams there.

Mick

I think this may depend upon the ship. I have not yet sailed on one without promenad lounge chairs, but I know some of the newer ships have the benches and regular chairs instead. I think it is because the promenad is narrower.

Mick

I think this may depend upon the ship. I have not yet sailed on one without promenad lounge chairs, but I know some of the newer ships have the benches and regular chairs instead. I think it is because the promenad is narrower.

Yes, the Sun-class, Island/Coral and Sapphire/Diamond (dunno 'bout the little girls) have the wider Promenades with the teak steamer chairs. You'll find the benches and chairs on the Grand/Golden/Star/Caribbean/Crown/Emerald and Ruby.

For us, the furniture shown in this mini-suite balcony works for a Caribe deck balcony & I'm very thankful that Princess reacted so quickly with a compromise solution.

While the new changes won't please everyone (those who entertain or have more than 2 passengers) the majority of us only use the 2 other chairs as an ottoman so this change actually works better for us...thanks Princess! :)

IMG_0041.jpg

Talk about disappearing chairs...on Princess Cays there are no longer any free chairs on the right side when you exit the tenders (where the clam shell side is located). They all been designated for use by the clam shells & they now force people to go to the other side unless you want to pay for a clam shell. :mad:

For us, the furniture shown in this mini-suite balcony works for a Caribe deck balcony & I'm very thankful that Princess reacted so quickly with a compromise solution.

While the new changes won't please everyone (those who entertain or have more than 2 passengers) the majority of us only use the 2 other chairs as an ottoman so this change actually works better for us...thanks Princess! :)

IMG_0041.jpg

I agree that it looks a little crowded with 4 chairs however I think they should supply a chair for every person booked in the cabin. The 2 chairs with the larger table and the ottoman's is perfect for us.

I received an e-mail from Princess Customer Service today saying that after receiving all the negative feedback about the Caribe deck furniture they have decided to go with the 2 chairs and footstools and dining table. I am so glad they listened. I won't miss the 2 extra chairs too much as we used them for footstools anyhow. I think though that if there are 3 in a room, there should be 3 chairs. Thank you to Princess for listening to lots of loyal customers!

I was too lazy to read the entire 23 pages of postings, but I got off the Sapphire three weeks ago and had a mini suite. The new balcony furniture was some of the most uncomfortable chairs we have ever sat upon! After just a couple of minutes, we had to get up. We wound up sitting on the footstools instead...hardly comfortable for a snooze or quality time with my book. I included a comment about this in a letter to Princess (in which I also pointed out the really nice things about our cruise). I received a call two days ago from Princess, asking me to comment further on the balcony situation. The gentleman from Custom Relations said that he will pass on the comments and that hopefully, Princess will realize that changes need to be made. I suggested that whoever purchased the balcony furniture should sit in it for a day and let us know what they think! Our backs hurt for a day after just a few minutes in the chair! We never had a problem with the old furnishings.

I suggested that whoever purchased the balcony furniture should sit in it for a day and let us know what they think! Our backs hurt for a day after just a few minutes in the chair! We never had a problem with the old furnishings.

That's a great idea to have Princess sit in the new balcony chairs! ;)

That's too bad that it was so uncomfortable for you resulting in pain. :(. If they decide to keep them hopefully they'll get 'broken in' & become softer...I hope. :rolleyes:

Does anyone think I could borrow chairs from Lido deck? Would the Cabin steward remove them? I need chairs for teens who are in an inside cabin and will visit us for breakfast, we have 2 balconies and an inside for 7 people.

We just finished a cruise on the Crown (returned March 31) and had booked an extended balcony (BA). Much to my dismay our large balcony had just the two uncomfortable partial recliners and no ottomons (along with an extremely small table). We asked the steward to bring us a third chair as our daughter was in our room with us but he said he couldn't and I believe him as he was the best steward we have ever had. We were very disappointed as we really like to recline on our balcony especially on sea days. I sure hope this changes as previously stated in prior posts.

We just finished a cruise on the Crown (returned March 31) and had booked an extended balcony (BA). Much to my dismay our large balcony had just the two uncomfortable partial recliners and no ottomons (along with an extremely small table). We asked the steward to bring us a third chair as our daughter was in our room with us but he said he couldn't and I believe him as he was the best steward we have ever had. We were very disappointed as we really like to recline on our balcony especially on sea days. I sure hope this changes as previously stated in prior posts.

Thanks for the info. I have been wondering whether the cabin stewards would provide extra balcony chairs if you are traveling with 3 or 4 in the cabin. This is disappointing news.

We are traveling with three in our cabin on the Sapphire next month and I intend to ask for a third balcony chair. If told no, I will send a letter of complaint to Princess after the cruise and also mention it in the comments card.

I do not mind the removal of the extra chairs for the most part because usually it is just two to a cabin and the extra chairs just crowd the balcony. However, when 3 or 4 are traveling in the cabin the stewards should be authorized to provide additional seating. After all, the third and fourth passengers paid their fares and deserve a chair on the balcony.

Archived