Bringing Wine Onboard

heart13

Looks like most of your cruises are with Carnival, so I assume you each bring on one bottle per cruise? Not sure that goes too far.

Actually, when we started cruising on Carnival, you could bring on as much wine as you wanted. We took a case of wine on our Panama Canal cruise. That has changed now though. That was one of the little things that we enjoyed about cruising with Carnival. Carnival has a different level of service but we never had a 'bad' cruise with them!

We took 2 magnums on our last Celebrity cruise. That worked out okay. Our t/a sent us a bottle of wine, and we drank that in our room.

We will probably bring 2 magnums on our upcoming Princess cruise, and a few single bottles of wine for the room (if their current policy stays the same).

They may have upgraded the policy on Feb 29, but I have not seen one word of complaint from someone having trouble the last 4 weeks.

The policy read as above prior to my cruise 2/25/12. From discussion on other pages, it changed in early February. With that said, when my husband and I boarded the Grand in FLL, we each carried on 2 bottles of wine, no questions asked.

Caribill has convinced me that the contract being silent on quantity does not mean that any quantity is allowed. I think this means the cruise line can set limits (the policy) as they see fit.

I believe this is correct in theory. The complicating factors are the real-world application and enforcement, which seems to be almost entirely absent (in the US at least); and the policy being worded as if to claim the contract has a limit of one each.

One question I have for those who go through the process more frequently: Is the policy, or FAQ ever officially presented to the passenger booking a cruise? In other words, would you only see this "policy" if you go exploring through the Princess website? (above and beyond the required sections for booking)

I believe this is correct in theory. The complicating factors are the real-world application and enforcement, which seems to be almost entirely absent (in the US at least); and the policy being worded as if to claim the contract has a limit of one each.

One question I have for those who go through the process more frequently: Is the policy, or FAQ ever officially presented to the passenger booking a cruise? In other words, would you only see this "policy" if you go exploring through the Princess website? (above and beyond the required sections for booking)

Absolutely agree that real-world application and enforcement is a problem, hence the continual discussion regarding this topic on the forum.

I personally have not found any other reference on the Princess website regarding the amount which is allowed on board other than the policy statement in the FAQ.

YOu must agree to the Passage Contract the first time you enter the cruise personalizer for each cruise.

The Answer Book was part of the package that was sent out in days gone by. It came with the shore excursion book, the Passage Contract and maybe other stuff. It is no longer sent out and we are not asked to agree to it.

The Answer Book was part of the package that was sent out in days gone by. It came with the shore excursion book, the Passage Contract and maybe other stuff. It is no longer sent out and we are not asked to agree to it.

Interesting. So it's a policy, which must be followed as per the contract, but passengers are not even exposed to it unless they actively look on their own. Sounds like plausible deniability to me. Party on.

Interesting. So it's a policy, which must be followed as per the contract, but passengers are not even exposed to it unless they actively look on their own. Sounds like plausible deniability to me. Party on.

To make it worse, the Passage Contract says you can carry on wine, but does not specify a limit. The Answer books quotes the Contract as saying one bottle per person.

YOu must agree to the Passage Contract the first time you enter the cruise personalizer for each cruise.

That is exactly what I was going to say! We agreed to the contract which does not put a limit on how much we may take.

The policy is something you have to go and hunt down on the Princess web site.

That is exactly what I was going to say! We agreed to the contract which does not put a limit on how much we may take.

The policy is something you have to go and hunt down on the Princess web site.

Anyone boarding today with wine?

Very interesting thread, I also am a wine drinker and have been known to drink the "whine out of a diff" pardon the pun, but I put another scenario forward, if someone was a spirit/liquoir drinker and had a small hip flask, one could always casually pour into a glass of ice and have a drink this way if one was discreet enough. Has anyone known of this to happen or is it only us Australian's who think of these ideas.

cheers

Les

If your hip flask has no metal in it, it would probably not be detected by the scanners. After you are onboard, discretion is the key.

Very interesting thread, I also am a wine drinker and have been known to drink the "whine out of a diff" pardon the pun, but I put another scenario forward, if someone was a spirit/liquoir drinker and had a small hip flask, one could always casually pour into a glass of ice and have a drink this way if one was discreet enough. Has anyone known of this to happen or is it only us Australian's who think of these ideas.

cheers

Les

On Feb 28 we brought on a bottle of amaretto, big bottle of pre-mixed margaritas and a bottle of Pama on the Coral out of Ft Lauderdale. It was in two boxes along with wine and beer and was delivered to our room shortly after we dropped it off at the porters. We didn't try to conceal it and would have given it up if Princess asked us to. We mixed our own drinks and took them wherever we wanted on the ship. We also took bottles of wine and champagne into the Sanctuary to enjoy while watching the wake and never had a corkage fee.

------------

Never let someone who doesn't have the authority to say "Yes" tell you "No".

That all sounds good, yes, as you said discretion is the key and not to be obvious, I still will but a wine package for our dinner's but will go with the " in the pocket" for after dinner times on the various lounge's etc. Thanks for the good advice.

cheers

Les :cool:

I have read the passage contract and it DOES NOT say that you are limited to 1 bottle per person. This is the official rules that passengers have to go by.:p

That is great to hear. It would still be a bit more reassuring to hear the experiences of those that have boarded over this past weekend or in the next week or so.

Please let us know! We sail on 4-13 on the Star and were planning on bringing a case of wine onboard (15 day sailing...so we really aren't winos...LOL).

Yes, please let us know let us how it goes.

Just got back from the Ruby last night.

1 carry on bag had a standard 750ml plastic traveler of Bacardi along with 4 airline sized Jack Daniels bottles.

1 carry on bag had a couple rum runners filled with Captain Morgan

1 full sized wine box (cream colored with french lettering, pretty obviously a wine box) had 4 bottles of Pinot from totalwine.

I also attached a luggage tag to a case of bottled water and handed it to the porter. Along with using packing tape to put two 12 packs of diet coke together and carried them on.

Everything arrived safely to the cabin by dinner time the first night, nothing opened, no questions asked. Still spent a ton at the bars onboard and had an awesome time.

Just got back from the Ruby last night.

1 carry on bag had a standard 750ml plastic traveler of Bacardi along with 4 airline sized Jack Daniels bottles.

1 carry on bag had a couple rum runners filled with Captain Morgan

1 full sized wine box (cream colored with french lettering, pretty obviously a wine box) had 4 bottles of Pinot from totalwine.

I also attached a luggage tag to a case of bottled water and handed it to the porter. Along with using packing tape to put two 12 packs of diet coke together and carried them on.

Everything arrived safely to the cabin by dinner time the first night, nothing opened, no questions asked. Still spent a ton at the bars onboard and had an awesome time.

Thank you for the update.

Sigh. This always comes up. Here's the deal. Not stating a limit is not the same as unlimited. There's another section of the contract that basically says you have to follow all rules, regulations and orders of the captain and cruise line unless the contract specifically says otherwise.

So, in short, all the contract terms mean is they cannot BAN wine and champagne, they can limit it whenever they want and still be in compliance with the contract.

Right now, they are being very liberal. That could change tomorrow and if it does, it does. If you want to bring on wine or champage do so, if they say you cannot on a particular cruise, go put it back in your car and/or take it back to the store if you can and try again next time.

I have read the passage contract and it DOES NOT say that you are limited to 1 bottle per person. This is the official rules that passengers have to go by.:p

Just got back from Ruby 4/1-8. We bought a case a wine, taped it more thoroughly, put a colored luggage tag on and the porters took it from us and loaded it, along with our luggage in one of their carts. We got to our room and the luggage was there, the wine was not. It showed up about 1/2 hour later. It was never opened.

As we boarded the ship, we could see the items in the carts from the gangway, people had cases of water, sodas, and wine boxes. All of it came on the ship.

At some point, maybe this will change but it worked for us and we ended up saving money, even with the $15 corkage fee when we took a bottle to dinner with us.

Just keep talking about how much wine you all carry aboard and that will come to a stop for everyone. That what happen to the coffee cards. I just waiting for Princess to enough and put a limit for the wine. We love to buy different wines around the world and we do pay corkage to have them with our dinner, we have wonderful wine and the cost is less that Princess cheaper wines.

Please stop telling what you all get a way with, it will ruin it for everyone.

Archived