Bringing Wine Onboard

heart13

When do you drink your wine? I know you can drink it without problems in your cabin but how about in the dining room or poolside or at bar? Thanks.

We love wine but don't want to drink it only in our cabin.

You can take it to dinner in the dining room and pay a $15 corkage fee. :)

Correct! They discourage...that's all!

BTW, I discourage boxed wine too! :rolleyes::p

Are you also one of those folks who won't drink a wine with a screw top? I used to think boxed wines were of inferior quality but that changed when I found boxed wines I really liked. The cab/shiraz blend at Target is quite good, affordable, and convienent.

Princess has said this for a while and has not enforced it.

Princess has "updated" the statement 2/29/12 to 1 bottle of wine or Champagne per person. Hope to hear from someone that has cruised since then that it is not enforced!

Princess has "updated" the statement 2/29/12 to 1 bottle of wine or Champagne per person. Hope to hear from someone that has cruised since then that it is not enforced!

I'm going to be taking more than that this weekend on the Ruby. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm going to be taking more than that this weekend on the Ruby. I'll let you know how it goes.

Please let us know! We sail on 4-13 on the Star and were planning on bringing a case of wine onboard (15 day sailing...so we really aren't winos...LOL).

They may have upgraded the policy on Feb 29, but I have not seen one word of complaint from someone having trouble the last 4 weeks.

You can take it to dinner in the dining room and pay a $15 corkage fee. :)

Just take wine glasses filled with wine to the MDR and no corkage fee. they don't know if you were at a bar before coming to dinner. There is nothing wrong with boxed wine. Folks who are putting it down must not be familiar with all the popular brands out there that are boxed now.

Just take wine glasses filled with wine to the MDR and no corkage fee. they don't know if you were at a bar before coming to dinner.

Sorry, but I have a couple of problems with this. First off, the "solution" fails if one wants to have a bottle of wine with dinner. All you accomplish is sneaking in a glass per person. Second, if you want to slip in more than a glass-worth, you would have to fill the glass up nearly to the rim. Wine was never intended to be consumed from a full glass. Third, (and most important), folks who bring wine on board should do so with the full knowledge of the corkage fee, expecting to pay it, and pay it gladly. Princess has been, up to this point, the most liberal mid-range cruise line when it comes to allowing the consumption of personal wines. Give them their $15 and don't complain. For the lack of paid corkage fees, the entire privilege could go away, and then where would you be? Paying a heck of a lot more than $15 for a bottle of fine wine at dinner.:mad:

Sorry, but I have a couple of problems with this. First off, the "solution" fails if one wants to have a bottle of wine with dinner. All you accomplish is sneaking in a glass per person. Second, if you want to slip in more than a glass-worth, you would have to fill the glass up nearly to the rim. Wine was never intended to be consumed from a full glass. Third, (and most important), folks who bring wine on board should do so with the full knowledge of the corkage fee, expecting to pay it, and pay it gladly. Princess has been, up to this point, the most liberal mid-range cruise line when it comes to allowing the consumption of personal wines. Give them their $15 and don't complain. For the lack of paid corkage fees, the entire privilege could go away, and then where would you be? Paying a heck of a lot more than $15 for a bottle of fine wine at dinner.:mad:

I agree. My DH and I are wine lovers and enjoy packing our favorites for a cruise. We think the $15 corkage fee is quite reasonable. We have taken magnums and have only been charged one corkage fee and the bottle usually lasts us 3 nights (OK, sometimes only 2). The wine steward stores any open bottles for us and will have a leftover bottle waiting on our table for dinner (we usually have traditional dining). We also purchase some wine from princess, but really prefer our own selections from our local area. We are amongst those fervently hoping that Princess does not tighten up on their wine policy.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xlh44l

For those of you who have packed a 12 pack of beer in a checked bag. Did you bring bottles or cans. I can see cans making it fine to your cabin, but did you re-wrap the bottles.

We put our 12 pack of bottles in a used wine box, taped it up, taped a luggage tag on it and gave it to the porters. It made it just fine to our room.

I agree. My DH and I are wine lovers and enjoy packing our favorites for a cruise. We think the $15 corkage fee is quite reasonable. We have taken magnums and have only been charged one corkage fee and the bottle usually lasts us 3 nights (OK, sometimes only 2). The wine steward stores any open bottles for us and will have a leftover bottle waiting on our table for dinner (we usually have traditional dining). We also purchase some wine from princess, but really prefer our own selections from our local area. We are amongst those fervently hoping that Princess does not tighten up on their wine policy.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xlh44l

We agree and do the very same thing. We bring some and buy some and have no problem paying the corkage fee. Our wine is waiting for us the next night if we haven't finished it.

I agree completely. My husband and I enjoy wine with dinner and on our balcony. We bring our own wine and expect to pay the corkage fee. We usually bring wine because the cruise line does not usually have the label/vintage that we prefer. I don't 'follow the crowd' but I do 'follow the rules'!

I agree completely. My husband and I enjoy wine with dinner and on our balcony. We bring our own wine and expect to pay the corkage fee. We usually bring wine because the cruise line does not usually have the label/vintage that we prefer. I don't 'follow the crowd' but I do 'follow the rules'!

Looks like most of your cruises are with Carnival, so I assume you each bring on one bottle per cruise? Not sure that goes too far.

Are you also one of those folks who won't drink a wine with a screw top? I used to think boxed wines were of inferior quality but that changed when I found boxed wines I really liked. The cab/shiraz blend at Target is quite good, affordable, and convienent.

Nope, there are several white wines that I like, that have screw tops! Conundrum being one of them. Many German wines are coming with screw tops now as well.

I will admit though, that something seems to be "missing" when a bottle has a screw top....I feel cheated in a way! LOL! ;)

I have not tried wine from a box in many years...And I never had any that I was thrilled with. To each his own!

Depends on where you are reading it: The Policy, which states one bottle per person or the Cruise Contract which does not state a quantity.

It will be interesting to hear how it's going lately!

Just take wine glasses filled with wine to the MDR and no corkage fee. they don't know if you were at a bar before coming to dinner. There is nothing wrong with boxed wine. Folks who are putting it down must not be familiar with all the popular brands out there that are boxed now.

I don't mind paying a corkage fee to be able to bring my own wines.

Depends on where you are reading it: The Policy, which states one bottle per person or the Cruise Contract which does not state a quantity.

It will be interesting to hear how it's going lately!

I find it interesting that the Q&A book quotes the Passage Contract on the one bottle rule, but that rule does not appear in the Contract. Not sure what a lawyer would make of it.

Very interesting thread, I also am a wine drinker and have been known to drink the "whine out of a diff" pardon the pun, but I put another scenario forward, if someone was a spirit/liquoir drinker and had a small hip flask, one could always casually pour into a glass of ice and have a drink this way if one was discreet enough. Has anyone known of this to happen or is it only us Australian's who think of these ideas.

cheers

Les

I find it interesting that the Q&A book quotes the Passage Contract on the one bottle rule, but that rule does not appear in the Contract. Not sure what a lawyer would make of it.

Caribill and I once locked horns on this one. I'm not a lawyer and I believe either Caribill is a lawyer or has lots of law experience.

Caribill has convinced me that the contract being silent on quantity does not mean that any quantity is allowed. I think this means the cruise line can set limits (the policy) as they see fit.

I think in practice though, for most of us Princess allows reasonable quantities of wine to be brought on during embarkation. What the policy does let them do is limit the amount older college kids bring aboard during spring break!

Archived