Best bet for seeing seals?

CarolinaMamma

We are cruising to Ketcikan, Skagway and Juneau in August on Celebrity. We have a full day in Skagway and Ketcikan, but don't arrive in Juneau until 2:30 p.m.

One of my kids is really, really into seals. Can anyone recommend any tours where we would be likely to see some? Not looking for a guarantee, just our best chances. Prefer something fairly affordable, as we are a family of 5. Youngest child will be 6, so something accessible to kids that young would be good.

Sorry, on your itinerary, not good chances for any specific locations. IF you were to go to Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm, you do frequently see harbor seals hauled out on ice. But in Hubbard, it is a far bigger open area- they haul out partially for protection. That would be your best area- binoculars will be necessary, and have a forward view. Look for black spots on ice.

Harbor seals are difficult to see in the water. I have seen them pure chance in many areas. You'll be lucky to see a "bump" in the water, a quick look then dive.

I suggest, always keep an eye out, and always have binoculars- all the time.

IF it doesn't matter, sea lions are frequently seen on the Juneau whale watches, For many years, they can be seen hauled out on a buoy that some whale watches detour to.

Harv and Marv in Juneau. You can buy the whole boat for the 5 of you and you tell them what you want to do and see. They nornally don't take kids unless you buy the whole boat. The cost for the whole boat for 5 is just what you would pay if went on a normal tour but they would have 6 onboard.

Here's a photo on got 2 years ago on one of their tours.

10.jpg

They cover more than whale watching.

framer

Here are some "seal cams" that might interest your kids:

http://www.animalcameras.com/seals/live-seal-webcams/

If you ever get back to Alaska, plan on a visit to the Seward Alaska Sea Life Center. You can take a "behind the scenes" marine mammal encounter and pet and feed the seals in their displays. I had a 2 for 1 coupon from the Northern Lights book, and it was one of the best tours I've ever taken.

We have seen those sea lions that BQ mentioned on every whale watch, and there was also a group of sea lions we saw several times on the way to Haines from Skagway if you take one of the high speed ferry rides over there. They will also be on the port side as your ship leaves in the evening. You'll need binoculars, though.

CruiseExplorere - Thanks for the tip about seals at the mouth of the river. Can you tell me how to get there?

1875012842_sealifecentersealion.jpg.fa6fa73a306633f1286d54499df902fc.jpg

1886677402_behindthescenes1.jpg.bc73b7d60fc52ce75d6720394c31d10a.jpg

1219050221_behindthescenes2.jpg.2fb89f6d8157ac23f67db9721c169f7f.jpg

1418390924_behindthescenes3.jpg.4efd7e6ca5f5c22261194e8b85f49dbb.jpg

1810263400_behindthescenes4.jpg.8e629fad822ca29259a123d8042ba172.jpg

Harv and Marv in Juneau. You can buy the whole boat for the 5 of you and you tell them what you want to do and see. They nornally don't take kids unless you buy the whole boat. The cost for the whole boat for 5 is just what you would pay if went on a normal tour but they would have 6 onboard.

framer

You had beautiful weather. What time of year did you go? Great photos too!

Thanks for all the replies. I am checking out Harv and Marv.

We will be cruising Glacier Bay from 6-10 a.m. The day we go to Juneau

If we were to do a whale watching trip in Juneau, would it likely be a repeat of what we had already seen? Would it be better to spend more time at Mendenhall Glacier? Just wondering how to best spend our limited time in Juneau.

Thanks.

10.jpg

framer

LOVE this pic!!!

on a whale watching with orca enterprises, we had 2 that came right up to the boat. put on a nice show right up close and personal. then went over to bother a couple of humpbacks. tale smacking didn't bother the seaks at all.

Thanks for all the replies. I am checking out Harv and Marv.

We will be cruising Glacier Bay from 6-10 a.m. The day we go to Juneau

If we were to do a whale watching trip in Juneau, would it likely be a repeat of what we had already seen? Would it be better to spend more time at Mendenhall Glacier? Just wondering how to best spend our limited time in Juneau.

Thanks.

Absolutely not, no repeat. BUT, if you are sailing Celebrity, like you mention, you aren't sailing Glacier Bay. (which I comment on the harbor seal sightings there).

Archived