HAL changed our stateroom 3 days before cruise!

Osmosis Jones

No -- we have never had anything like that happen.

Apparently the ship / cruise didn't sell out and HAL thought it would be nice to upgrade you to a better cabin and leave the inside cabin empty or sell it cheap in the next couple of days.

If "no upgrade" was properly selected this would not have happened. My guess is that this was not marked.

OP, did you book through a TA or direct with HAL?

If "no upgrade" was properly selected this would not have happened.

You keep posting this, but it is just not correct. Those of us who have had it happen do know what we're talking about here.

Several have posted responses which imply that scenic sightseeing through a porthole or a window is good. It is certainly possible, but I've tried it and found it unsatisfactory. There are many public places with very large windows, such as the pool area on the Lido deck or in the Crow's Nest, that I'd much prefer. But IMO, unless the weather is inclement, outside on the deck somewhere is the very best location of all.

Insofar as I'm concerned, there are many features in a stateroom that are more desirable than having a porthole or window.

We received a confirmation e-mail today informing us that our stateroom was different to the one we booked.

We selected the room and booked over 12 months ago and checked the 'do not upgrade' box and paid on time with nothing owing.

We were in an inside cabin on deck 6, now moved to an ocean view on deck 1.

I am a bit peeved seeing as we requested this room specifically and have printed luggage tags, just to be moved without any communication with only 3 days until we board the ship.

Looks like we'll need to make a complaint on-the-run on Monday during the airport transfer as the office is closed on Sundays.

I can see that 'they' may think this is an upgrade, but that is not the point! Not as though we were in a room that could occupy disabled or more than 2 guests. Just plain annoying. They could have at least asked.

Has anyone else experienced similar, and what did you do?

Getting moved from an inside cabin to an ocean view is quite an upgrade, but still should never be done without your consent. Some people book an inside cabin to put their children right across from them and don't want them moved. I think it was inappropriate to move you without discussing it with you first. Do you have a TA? This is one instance where a TA can help. Did they discuss it with your TA and your TA fail to discuss it with you?

Even if it turned out to be mechanical problems in the cabin you had selected they still should discuss it with you first. They just assume that most people like an upgrade, but not all. You selected "no upgrade" so they should not move you.

I understand OP's upset and don't think her cabin should have been moved without her consent but I am sure if we read every tiny word in the cruise docs, if one doesn't get dizzy doing so......

we probably will find some itsy bitsy comment that permits them to move us wherever they choose whether we like it or not. Everything in those docs are fully on the side of the cruise line.

We either accept their terms or we don't cruise.

I hope when you get to the ship, OP, it is better than you expected and you can get on with having a great cruise. :)

This seems to be a standard response to anything that might be considered questionalable to any action HAL may take

Print something somewhere that will absolve the line of any thing they might decide to do

If this is there is some "itsy bitsy comment that permits them to move us wherever they choose whether we like it or not" (which I doubt)

but we can also select the option of not being upgraded when we book, then this is both deceptive and unethical on HAL's part

Before any contract is created, it will be checked and revised by 10-15 high-priced lawyers who will literally check every word and hot it applies to every scenario. There is no way a customer can win. Sometimes, at least here in Ontario, when a conract is especially difficult to understand and is especially slanted against the consumer, a government will step in and force a company to change the contract to simplify it. For example, a few years ago car leasing companies were forced to amend their contracts to make them easier for the customer to understand Credit card companies have been told to do that also. I have worked in a law firm for over 30 years, and I still get confused reading the "simplified contracts". If you were to read the cruise contract in detail and understand it, you would never buy a cruise. Same thing with life, home, and car insurance.

I know some people would be happy with this upgrade that the OP received (including me). However, they had specifically indicated that they did not want an upgrade, which HAL permits them to do at booking. There is no way HAL should have done this without asking permission first. However, I am sure there is something in small print that will allow them to do this. I have a feeling that this was a mistake made by some overworked HAL employee in the head office. Like the rest of us still working, he/she is probably doing a job that three employees were doing five years go. IMHO, in this case, if the OP doesn't get the room back, HAL should offer an OBC credit.

I would really like to hear from the OP on who this matter was handled once they boarded the ship.

Apparently the ship / cruise didn't sell out and HAL thought it would be nice to upgrade you to a better cabin and leave the inside cabin empty or sell it cheap in the next couple of days.

Yes even though you stated you did not want to be relocated, HAL in their continuing effort to provide excellent customer service "thought it would be nice to upgrade you......." three days before departure without your permission

I think the last part of this response is more accurate.

The stateroom is now empty and it might be easier to sell those in the final three days before departure than the ones you were upgraded to

This would be "nice" to HAL's line extra income

With all due respect, I disagree with you. Many experienced cruisers book well in advance, as the OP did, to get exactly the cabin they want. There are people who choose specific cabins for reasons that are very important to them, i.e. a location where they do not experience seasickness, a shower instead of a tub because of mobility issues, being near or far from elevators, not wanting to be under busy public areas, etc. etc. These reasons may not be important for you and me, but could ruin a cruise for someone else. HAL has specifically put the "do not upgrade" option in their booking system for these passengers and they, in turn, should honour it. The least HAL could have done is contacted the OP or his/her TA and gave them the choice to agree or not to this change. This is what upsets the OP and would certainly upset me if I was in the OP's shoes. Yes, I am sure there is something in the miniscule print on the contact that technically absolves HAL from this, however, it doesn't mean that it's right.

To the OP, I hope you can resolve this issue with HAL and get your cabin back. You are coming a long way for this cruise, have been looking forward to it for a long time, you have done everything by the rules, and should get exactly what you paid for. In spite of this stress caused by HAL, I do hope you enjoy your cruise. Please let us know the outcome of this.

The original poster is an Australian, at present on board the Volendam cruising around New Zealand (today the Volendam is in Wellington).

Interesting ... HAL's website booking process no longer has the update/no update option. I don't know when that went away, but the site now asks people to indicate whether they are or are not flexible in stateroom choice. It points out clearly that if you selected and require an accessible stateroom you should select "no" to be sure not to be reassigned to a non-accessible cabin.

The flexibility area ends with: "Holland America Line will make every attempt to honor your preferences. However, we reserve the right to upgrade your accommodations when necessary."

So, it would seem that, with the exception of special/accessibility requirements, HAL yield management reserves the right to moves anyone at will. YMMV

Archived