HAL changed our stateroom 3 days before cruise!

Osmosis Jones

Personally, I would think being moved from an inside to an outside a very pleasant thing.

Not if you're in a large J or K on Main Deck or one of those nice-sized I cabins on Decks 6 or 8. We always choose these categories. HAL once offered us a free upgrade to an outside G. When I mentioned how much larger our booked cabin was than the upgrade, the agent agreed ours was "considerably larger." That was the end of the conversation.

Agreed. We specifically booked an I category for our TA on Noordam last April even though outside view cabins were cheaper. We wanted the extra space rather than a window.

Ruth

Not to hijack the thread, but what is the issue with the tub on Prinsendam? We are booked in a double that has shower/tub combo. We tired last week to change to a triple so a friend could share with us, but none are available. Those cabins all have a shower only.

Thanks for any help

ML

I think it's the step up to get over the tub wall.

Ruth, were you sailing solo when you got upgraded to a veranda?

Yes, I was solo. I wanted to book the single inside on Dolphin Deck, but the outside cabin across the passageway was less expensive. I like the location, not only because it's close to mind-ship, but also because it's close to the elevators, and walking is a problem.

My veranda was even a bit closer to the elevators, without giving up that mid-ship smoother ride. The cabin was the same as the outside would have been, with the exception of the tub instead of the shower and the veranda.

Sorry but none of the above apply. I'ma still convused. The post was informative and non offensive and it had a touch of humor involved.

Suggest you contact the Hosts & ask why..No one on this board would know the reason..

Really--is is a big step up? like more than a regular tub (like in your house or a hotel?).

Thanks

ML

The tubs are European style tubs, which are usually much higher than the American style tubs..If you have mobility problems or are quite short like I am, the step up is high..What I do is put one leg over the top & then sit on the rim & then put the other leg over..It also is a bit difficult to get out of the tub for short people & those with mobility problems..

I seem to recall that your stateroom has a tub with shower, which was OK for us as you still have the walk in closets...Believe that some with shower only do not have the walk in closet which I we loved!:)

Cheers....:)Betty

Ruth

Not to hijack the thread, but what is the issue with the tub on Prinsendam?

Just like the S- & R-class ships, the Prinsendam tubs have very high sides. Not only that, but the floor is lower than the bottom of the tub, so getting out is even worse for someone with arthritis.

Compounding the problem is the fact that the bottom of the tub is quite rounded, so there is a lot less flat area on which to stand!

The showers also are a lot easier to lean against the sides, too, so you feel more secure that you won't fall in moving seas.

...Believe that some with shower only do not have the walk in closet which I we loved!:)

The shower-only cabins I have visited in all had the walk-in closet. Even the single-inside cabin has a modified walk-in!

It's the newer cabins added on that don't necessarily have a walk-in closet. The original cabins do.

Thanks for all of your input.

DH has sent an e-mail stating our thoughts about what has happened.

I understand that many think an outside is an upgrade from an inside, but we could have booked a flippin outside for less money if that's what we wanted.

AND we would not have selected DO NOT UPGRADE if we were happy to be surprised with a different cabin allocation.

We have had guarantee cabins before and enjoyed the 'not knowing' experience as that is what we opted for.

Anyway - we can only address the issue with the relevant parties and see what happens.

Once we're on the ship, this will be history as we will be glad to be there and make the most of our time on board.

Now just to keep DH calm - he isn't too worried about which cabin we get, but is angry beacuse of the principle of it.

A silly situation that could easily be avoided.

The shower-only cabins I have visited in all had the walk-in closet. Even the single-inside cabin has a modified walk-in!

It's the newer cabins added on that don't necessarily have a walk-in closet. The original cabins do.

Thanks Ruth for that info..That's good to know..I will try to get a shower only when we cruise again on HAL..I'm quite short & had a hip replacement a few months ago..

The tubs are European style tubs, which are usually much higher than the American style tubs..If you have mobility problems or are quite short like I am, the step up is high..What I do is put one leg over the top & then sit on the rim & then put the other leg over..It also is a bit difficult to get out of the tub for short people & those with mobility problems..

I seem to recall that your stateroom has a tub with shower, which was OK for us as you still have the walk in closets...Believe that some with shower only do not have the walk in closet which I we loved!:)

/quote]

BTW The European style free standing tubs are approx 24 to 30 inches tall (high) ...Our tub at home is only 14 inches tall, which makes it easier to get into..

Check out a copy of the European style free standing tubs at this WEB site:

http://shop.designerplumbing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=1&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SUNRISE43

I actually don't know the height of HAL's tubs.. Tried to look at the rooms on Joanie's WEB site above, but can't seem to find a HAL bathroom with a tub..

Cheers...:)Betty

Sorry but none of the above apply. I'ma still convused. The post was informative and non offensive and it had a touch of humor involved.

My post was all not meant to be all encompassing. I was just giving a few examples. The answer to your original question is simple, the moderator that removed the post didn't believe that it fell within the posting rules.

I have heard of this occurring with other CCL-owned lines - particularly Cunard.

Personally, I would think being moved from an inside to an outside a very pleasant thing.

The person wasn't complaining that you were upgraded, they were complaining that they were upgraded against their express wishes.

We received a confirmation e-mail today informing us that our stateroom was different to the one we booked.

We selected the room and booked over 12 months ago and checked the 'do not upgrade' box and paid on time with nothing owing.

Thank you for posting this to give the rest of us a heads up. We were totally unaware that they would do such a thing, short of having to move people out of necessity in the event that some disaster made the original stateroom unfit for occupancy.

Most would be very unhappy if, after specifying no upgrade, we were moved without our consent just to give our reserved stateroom away to someone else, unless perhaps we received a major upgrade to a top-level suite.

I am now wondering how common an occurrence it is and guess we have been fortunate that it has never happened to us on any cruise line -- yet.

I am now wondering how common an occurrence it is ....

Based on extensive reading of this site for several years now, I think it's a very rare occurrence that someone is moved from a cabin when they have their booking marked "do not upgrade".

If it happened with any degree of regularity there would be posts about it---either happy posts of amazement that it happened under those circumstances, or anger that it happened at all.

There are very, very few such posts.

Thanks for all of your input.

DH has sent an e-mail stating our thoughts about what has happened.

I understand that many think an outside is an upgrade from an inside, but we could have booked a flippin outside for less money if that's what we wanted.

AND we would not have selected DO NOT UPGRADE if we were happy to be surprised with a different cabin allocation.

We have had guarantee cabins before and enjoyed the 'not knowing' experience as that is what we opted for.

Anyway - we can only address the issue with the relevant parties and see what happens.

Once we're on the ship, this will be history as we will be glad to be there and make the most of our time on board.

Now just to keep DH calm - he isn't too worried about which cabin we get, but is angry beacuse of the principle of it.

A silly situation that could easily be avoided.

I hope that this issue can be resolved to your liking, so that you can have a wonderful cruise on the beautiful Volendam.

If they cannot give you the original cabin back, but suggest to move you once more, be wary of accepting cabins on deck 3 (lower promenade) in the aft part of the ship. We had a nice enough cabin (unexpectedly an outside, we booked a tourist industry rate with cabin assignment at the pier, so we expected the lowest category) The view from the cabin was far less obstructed than expected BUT: we were under the main galley and they were working all hours (of course they were - preparing all that marvellous food) and rolling trolleys did reduce our sleep some! Say approximately cabins 3366 to 3402 could be affected, from looking at the deck plans.

but we could have booked a flippin outside for less money if that's what we wanted.

That's interesting..is the room they now put you in less expensive than the room you originally booked and paid for?

And if it is, are they offering you any kind of credit?

This thread just reminds me of people who get upset at something that many of us would consider minor, and then run with that ball all week. I totally understand what you are saying and they had no right to move you after you ticked "no upgrades". When you get to the pier, let them know at check in. After that, I would consign this issue to the dustbin of history and move on, lest it "ruin your vacation" or even one hour of your vacation.

Things happen. Bad things happen to good people. Ultimately, this is not a huge deal. This is a cabin on a cruise ship. This is what my kids call a First World Problem.

I hope you have an excellent cruise and that this issue is so far in the rear view mirror when you board that you can barely remember it. :)

This thread just reminds me of people who get upset at something that many of us would consider minor, and then run with that ball all week. I totally understand what you are saying and they had no right to move you after you ticked "no upgrades". When you get to the pier, let them know at check in. After that, I would consign this issue to the dustbin of history and move on, lest it "ruin your vacation" or even one hour of your vacation.

Things happen. Bad things happen to good people. Ultimately, this is not a huge deal. This is a cabin on a cruise ship. This is what my kids call a First World Problem.

I hope you have an excellent cruise and that this issue is so far in the rear view mirror when you board that you can barely remember it. :)

With all due respect, I disagree with you. Many experienced cruisers book well in advance, as the OP did, to get exactly the cabin they want. There are people who choose specific cabins for reasons that are very important to them, i.e. a location where they do not experience seasickness, a shower instead of a tub because of mobility issues, being near or far from elevators, not wanting to be under busy public areas, etc. etc. These reasons may not be important for you and me, but could ruin a cruise for someone else. HAL has specifically put the "do not upgrade" option in their booking system for these passengers and they, in turn, should honour it. The least HAL could have done is contacted the OP or his/her TA and gave them the choice to agree or not to this change. This is what upsets the OP and would certainly upset me if I was in the OP's shoes. Yes, I am sure there is something in the miniscule print on the contact that technically absolves HAL from this, however, it doesn't mean that it's right.

To the OP, I hope you can resolve this issue with HAL and get your cabin back. You are coming a long way for this cruise, have been looking forward to it for a long time, you have done everything by the rules, and should get exactly what you paid for. In spite of this stress caused by HAL, I do hope you enjoy your cruise. Please let us know the outcome of this.

I tried to post a couple of times yesterday and some weird stuff was going on with this website. Even today when I tried to log in, though it is an automatic log-in, this feature malfunctioned and I had to enter my sign in again, which CC then erased. It took me three times to get it logged in.

It is possible that there was no intention to remove your post and that it was one of the crazy bugs that seems to have afflicted CC. I don't want to divert from this thread, but just to make you and others aware that I have had issues the past three days with some weird stuff going on and definite malfunctioning here at CC.

With all due respect, I disagree with you. Many experienced cruisers book well in advance, as the OP did, to get exactly the cabin they want. There are people who choose specific cabins for reasons that are very important to them, i.e. a location where they do not experience seasickness, a shower instead of a tub because of mobility issues, being near or far from elevators, not wanting to be under busy public areas, etc. etc. These reasons may not be important for you and me, but could ruin a cruise for someone else. HAL has specifically put the "do not upgrade" option in their booking system for these passengers and they, in turn, should honour it. The least HAL could have done is contacted the OP or his/her TA and gave them the choice to agree or not to this change. This is what upsets the OP and would certainly upset me if I was in the OP's shoes. Yes, I am sure there is something in the miniscule print on the contact that technically absolves HAL from this, however, it doesn't mean that it's right.

To the OP, I hope you can resolve this issue with HAL and get your cabin back. You are coming a long way for this cruise, have been looking forward to it for a long time, you have done everything by the rules, and should get exactly what you paid for. In spite of this stress caused by HAL, I do hope you enjoy your cruise. Please let us know the outcome of this.

A very nice sumnation of the issue! :)

1. I do not mean to minimize what is a big deal to some people- if I told you the things that are a big deal to me you'd be mystified, believe me. I really hope the OP has a great cruise and that the issue can be straightened out at check in.

2. I, too, had weird CC probs yesterday- pages of code and the inability to sign in.

That's too late to be of any use. The ship will likely be full, or nearly so. And even if it isn't full, the pier staff will either say that it is or say that they cannot make changes or resolve issues. Contacting HAL right away is the best option.

Archived