HAL changed our stateroom 3 days before cruise!

Osmosis Jones

We received a confirmation e-mail today informing us that our stateroom was different to the one we booked.

We selected the room and booked over 12 months ago and checked the 'do not upgrade' box and paid on time with nothing owing.

We were in an inside cabin on deck 6, now moved to an ocean view on deck 1.

I am a bit peeved seeing as we requested this room specifically and have printed luggage tags, just to be moved without any communication with only 3 days until we board the ship.

Looks like we'll need to make a complaint on-the-run on Monday during the airport transfer as the office is closed on Sundays.

I can see that 'they' may think this is an upgrade, but that is not the point! Not as though we were in a room that could occupy disabled or more than 2 guests. Just plain annoying. They could have at least asked.

Has anyone else experienced similar, and what did you do?

I have seen it happen when you don't check "Do not upgrade" but never when you do. I would call them and see if you could get your cabin back, have them put the people in your old cabin in your new one.

One of our cc members had their cabin changed and were very upset as they had one of the large insides. They didn't know until they got onboard. They were promised that any mail would be re-directed and it wasn't (as they didn't get the meet and greet reminders, etc.)

They had told their TA to mark it no upgrade but whether the TA did it or not was not known.

What a shame this has happened.

Hopefully you can reach them in time and get things changed back if you want that room

It happened to me last June when my booking on the Prinsendam was changed without my consent. My booking was marked "Do not upgrade".

I had carefully chosen an outside cabin with a shower. Now, on the Prinsendam that is important as the tub and shower cabins alternate all the way down the passageway. I did not want a cabin with a tub.

Maybe five days before the cruise I received an e-mail from HAL that I had been moved. The first thing I did was hit the roof. :mad: The second thing was to check the deckplans, and learned I now had a veranda, but also had a tub.

I decided that I would accept the tub, because of the veranda (which I loved). Had they just moved me to another outside, especially if it had a tub, my TA would have received a call asking her to get me what I wanted.

Take a look at the deckplans. Can you like this cabin/location? If so, maybe you can let this go. If not, I suggest you call today to see if you can be put back in the cabin you wanted. The sooner you try, the better chance you will have.

If you do not have mobility issues that would make the shower vs. tub issue important, I would say to just go with it and not get any more upset. I know you checked the box and I know that you did everything right, etc etc etc, but as a guarantee booker most of the time, I've learned to like the surprise. Just try not to let it upset you. I am on luggage-tag-arts-and-crafts strike, and have been since Day One, so I always get my tags at the pier and just write the cabin number on them.

I think you'll be fine if you just try to let this go.

As I related in the 'No Upgrade' thread, when this happened to us, we first went to the front desk to get it rectified. Unfortunately, the ship was full.

A passenger in line overheard our problem, and volunteered to exchange cabins. They were very happy to get our midship outside cabin in exchange for their inside cabin. And we were happy to get a stall shower, instead of that very high-sided tub.

The front desk made it official, issued us all new cruisecards, and arranged for the stewards to transfer our luggage.

I can understand why the OP is unhappy. What's the point of having the choice of marking "no upgrade" if the cruiseline doesn't pay attention to it. At least they could have e-mailed or called the OP to ask their permission for the change. I would definitely make an issue of this with HAL.

Ruth, were you sailing solo when you got upgraded to a veranda? I can only afford a veranda when I'm cruising with my mother and never when cruising solo. I usually pick one of the higher outside guarantees hoping for an upgrade, but it has never happened to me.:(

We received a confirmation e-mail today informing us that our stateroom was different to the one we booked.

We selected the room and booked over 12 months ago and checked the 'do not upgrade' box and paid on time with nothing owing.

I am a bit peeved seeing as we requested this room specifically and have printed luggage tags, just to be moved without any communication with only 3 days until we board the ship.

Looks like we'll need to make a complaint on-the-run on Monday during the airport transfer as the office is closed on Sundays.

I can see that 'they' may think this is an upgrade, but that is not the point! Not as though we were in a room that could occupy disabled or more than 2 guests. Just plain annoying. They could have at least asked.

I am sorry this happened to you. I'd contact them on Monday and tell them to move you back to your original cabin. Personally, I'd not want to go from deck 6 to deck 1. We like being up a little higher. I hope you can get this straightened out. Have a nice cruise!

I understand OP's upset and don't think her cabin should have been moved without her consent but I am sure if we read every tiny word in the cruise docs, if one doesn't get dizzy doing so......

we probably will find some itsy bitsy comment that permits them to move us wherever they choose whether we like it or not. Everything in those docs are fully on the side of the cruise line.

We either accept their terms or we don't cruise.

I hope when you get to the ship, OP, it is better than you expected and you can get on with having a great cruise. :)

I don't know if anyone else does this, but we have two cabins that we alternate in on the vista ships, an SC and VA on the aft next too each other. I would not want an upgrade to any other location on the ship. I love the aft, and even if I was moved to a suite, I would be peeved. And I would be totally lost all week!

I understand OP's upset and don't think her cabin should have been moved without her consent but I am sure if we read every tiny word in the cruise docs, if one doesn't get dizzy doing so......

we probably will find some itsy bitsy comment that permits them to move us wherever they choose whether we like it or not. Everything in those docs are fully on the side of the cruise line.

So what. If they offer the no upgrade option and you select it, then they should honor it. Otherwise why offer it?

You know, I don't blame you for being upset. I know we pick out our cabin choice every cruise and if they did that to us, I would be furious.:mad:You probably could hear me all the way to Seattle screaming at them. Hal could alleviate alot of problems just by consulting their passenger before they do it. In most cases they put you in a better cabin but they forget sometimes we want what we want period.

You know, I don't blame you for being upset. I know we pick out our cabin choice every cruise and if they did that to us, I would be furious.:mad:You probably could hear me all the way to Seattle screaming at them. Hal could alleviate alot of problems just by consulting their passenger before they do it. In most cases they put you in a better cabin but they forget sometimes we want what we want period.

Exactly. Otherwise we might as well all book guarantees with their lower fares and just take a chance as to what we'd get....

I have been told by a few ship's officers that ships always have empty cabins. Ships capacities are passenger controlled and not cabin controlled by the Coast Guard meaning that they can carry only a certain number of passengers regardless of the number of cabins on board. This means that if a ship is carrying a large number of triples and quads, a number of cabins will remain empty. If a ship sailed with mostly singles and doubles then all of the cabins may be full. Not to gross people out but my father sailed once on a sold out cruise and, when his cabin was infested with bedbugs, they had no problem finding another cabin and a nice upgrade as well even thought the Purser's desk had a sign stating there were no cabins available.

Interesting -- Had a factual unoffensive post this morning to this thread and now have found it removed ? Pray tell --- who have I offended ?

There are several ways one can violate the rules with factual unoffensive posts. You could mention your travel agent. You could post a link to a competing board. You could recommend a tour provider. You could post a link to something you want to sell. You could even post a link to a video about a design of a cruise ship that the company doesn't want posted. Just because a thread is factual and unoffensive does not mean it is within the rules.

sail7seas

We either accept their terms or we don't cruise.

I hope when you get to the ship, OP, it is better than you expected and you can get on with having a great cruise.

So what. If they offer the no upgrade option and you select it, then they should honor it. Otherwise why offer it?

:rolleyes: Seems to me I was agreeing with you.

They did it because they can.

I did not say they should.

There are several ways one can violate the rules with factual unoffensive posts. You could mention your travel agent. You could post a link to a competing board. You could recommend a tour provider. You could post a link to something you want to sell. You could even post a link to a video about a design of a cruise ship that the company doesn't want posted. Just because a thread is factual and unoffensive does not mean it is within the rules.

Sorry but none of the above apply. I'ma still convused. The post was informative and non offensive and it had a touch of humor involved.

I have heard of this occurring with other CCL-owned lines - particularly Cunard.

Personally, I would think being moved from an inside to an outside a very pleasant thing.

Not if you're in a large J or K on Main Deck or one of those nice-sized I cabins on Decks 6 or 8. We always choose these categories. HAL once offered us a free upgrade to an outside G. When I mentioned how much larger our booked cabin was than the upgrade, the agent agreed ours was "considerably larger." That was the end of the conversation.

Sorry, OP, that this happened. As DH & I prefer those larger insides too, I empathize. If you can't get it straightened out to your satisfaction, I hope you won't let it ruin your cruise.

Hello,

You do not want this upgrade from an inside cabin to oceanview and in Alaska no less!!

Huh, did I/you miss something here? I would take it and not look back. Otherwise you will be "in the dark" your entire cruise.

Hope you enjoy your trip to AK. It is a spectacular state!!!

I am returning to AK this June and had to pay extra for what you are getting for $0.00 extra.:D

Enjoy your trip,:)

Regards,

NewJersey222

I have heard of this occurring with other CCL-owned lines - particularly Cunard.

Personally, I would think being moved from an inside to an outside a very pleasant thing.

thats what i was thinking! id love to be given a free upgrade, inside to ocean view makes a world of difference to me! :)

It happened to me last June when my booking on the Prinsendam was changed without my consent. My booking was marked "Do not upgrade".

I had carefully chosen an outside cabin with a shower. Now, on the Prinsendam that is important as the tub and shower cabins alternate all the way down the passageway. I did not want a cabin with a tub.

Maybe five days before the cruise I received an e-mail from HAL that I had been moved. The first thing I did was hit the roof. :mad: The second thing was to check the deckplans, and learned I now had a veranda, but also had a tub.

I decided that I would accept the tub, because of the veranda (which I loved). Had they just moved me to another outside, especially if it had a tub, my TA would have received a call asking her to get me what I wanted.

Take a look at the deckplans. Can you like this cabin/location? If so, maybe you can let this go. If not, I suggest you call today to see if you can be put back in the cabin you wanted. The sooner you try, the better chance you will have.

Ruth

Not to hijack the thread, but what is the issue with the tub on Prinsendam? We are booked in a double that has shower/tub combo. We tired last week to change to a triple so a friend could share with us, but none are available. Those cabins all have a shower only.

Thanks for any help

ML

Archived