Live from the Sapphire - March 24-31

flourpot

Do you know who the Captain's Circle person is? Patrizia was her name when I was on the Sapphire right after the dry dock. Thanks.

According to my welcome email for tomorrow's cruise, her name is Patrizia Pometcu

I had the goat cheese soufle (so good! I have it every cruise!), the butter leaf salad with shallot dressing, the lemon/strawberry sorbet, and the pan seared scallops. I had 2 desserts: the princess love boat dream and the menage a trois. Both were good. Tonight is the sail away dinner and I'll probably end up having the salmon for dinner.

I've had that goat cheese soufle before - it's so good!

Last night we went to dinner in the Santa Fe Dining Room (we've been there every night except for the first where we went to Pacific Moon). We both ate the same thing: goat cheese soufle, butter leaf salad, lemon/strawberry/thyme sorbet, and pan seared scallops. For dessert, I had 2 desserts: the princess love boat dream and the menage a trois and my mom had the sugar free chocolate mint cake. SIDE NOTE: the sugar free desserts are really quite good. They don't have the chemically taste that you find with most sugar free things. Don't be afraid of them!

Right after dinner, we went to the theater to see comedian AJ Jamal. He interacted more with the audience than Carlos Oscar, but I wouldn't see AJ again. Carlos was the best entertainer on board. He is up for the best entertainer on Princess and there is a good reason for it. If you get a chance, see Carlos.

Today, we finally woke up to sun and warmth! It's sunny and 77 degrees. We had an excursion booked to go out to the winery, but decided to cancel it and just wander around the town on foot. We had no problems going through town. Everything was very safe. There were a few people selling trinkets, but when I said no thanks, they left us alone with no problems.

There were 2 pub lunches on this cruise - one on each of the at sea days. We bought 3 future cruises today, so apparently, we'll be back. It was nice being in the US for our ports for the internet access on my phone, but we probably won't sail this itinerary again. We live on the west coast and have seen these areas before, so in the future, we're going to plan on sticking to itineraries where we have not visited.

Hi Flourpot,

Thanks for your excellent reviews each day - don't know if you'll be back to check any of our posts since you'll be disembarking today and we'll be embarking but just wanted to know I enjoyed reading all your reviews!

Laurie

thank you so much for your information etc. It was so nice to get the latest.

Who is the CD? do you know when they are leaving the ship (my parents are sailing to hawaii in a few weeks and I wondered if David Cole would still be on the ship)

thank you so much for your information etc. It was so nice to get the latest.

Who is the CD? do you know when they are leaving the ship (my parents are sailing to hawaii in a few weeks and I wondered if David Cole would still be on the ship)

David Cole was our CD but he got off the ship today for his vacation. I'm not sure who is replacing him.

Disembarking was really smooth this morning. We went to the buffet this morning at about 7, got some food, and then carried our food back to the room. We had to be out of the room by 8, so that gave us time to eat and shower before having to vacate the room. After gathering our things, we proceeded to the platinum/elite disembarkation lounge in Club Fusion. We waited there for our color to be called and then boarded our bus to the airport (where we are now). We didn't leave the ship until 10:15am and we were not the last group off of the ship. The bus to the airport is only about 20 minutes, so not bad at all.

Not sure if that disembarkation is normal or not but it is after 12 and boarding for elites still hasn't happened yet on the next sailing!

The disembarkation was right on schedule the whole time for us. They'd get 5 mins ahead or 5 mins behind, but nothing too crazy.

Flourpot- thanks again for your posts. will be on the same cruise in 5 weeks! (May 5th)

do you recall what dinners were what nights?

for some reason now non of your pictures are showing...can you re-post them?

Hey guys, great reviews of the Sapphire. Will be sailing in May, the Pacific Coastal cruise. My question is, did anyone do the Ultimate ship's Tour and was it worth the $$$, also how about the Chef's Table? Would like to do that, but will be on a budget, got to watch my pennies!!:eek:

Virginia

Our group did the Chef's Table event on the Emerald Princess. Absolutely amazing!! Everyone should try it once. I highley recommend it!

• 2 weeks later...
We are planning to do Alcatraz on our own. How far is the ferry to Alcatraz from where the ship docks? Love all your pictures of the ship and menus! Thanks for all the information!!! We sail on Saturday!!!

Most of the cruise ships dock right next to the Fisherman's Wharf area, which is where the boats leave for Alcatraz, but do check what pier you are docking at, because the alternative is a pier much closer to the Oakland/Bay Bridge, which is quite a ways away.

Doing Alcatraz on your own is the way to go. Much less expensive, and you will get more time on the island.

Saphhire docked next to Fisherman's Wharf area.

I would recommend doing an Alcatraz tour early in the day or late in the day. Our tour was around 2:30 or so and it was packed. We left the island around 4:30. The crowds were much less by that time. Not sure what time the last tour is though.

Just sailed on Sapphire last week - great cruise! I posted a review under the Princess boards if you want to read it.

Saphhire docked next to Fisherman's Wharf area.

I would recommend doing an Alcatraz tour early in the day or late in the day. Our tour was around 2:30 or so and it was packed. We left the island around 4:30. The crowds were much less by that time. Not sure what time the last tour is though.

Just sailed on Sapphire last week - great cruise! I posted a review under the Princess boards if you want to read it.

Make sure you know where the ship will be clearing customs, We cleared customs in San Francisco and as a result we barely made our 9:30 boat to Alcatraz (We didn't get off the ship until close to 9:15 and ran). If you clear customs elsewhere you won't have a problem making an early boat.

Archived