We have a tight connecting flight - so what about mailing our checked bags to hotel?

Kay&Harry

We only have a one hour connecting flight - has anyone Fed Exed their checked luggage to hotel in port? Our hotel has no problem with this, but has anyone done this. We are taking Carnival Legend out of Tampa, FL.

We only have a one hour connecting flight - has anyone Fed Exed their checked luggage to hotel in port? Our hotel has no problem with this, but has anyone done this. We are taking Carnival Legend out of Tampa, FL.

I have not, but I know people who have shipped their luggage to save money and not check it on a plane. Their luggage got there 2 days after they arrived, so you may want to get the fastest option or send it a week before the cruise.

Edited by Jman1118

Curious as to why you can't check your luggage thru to your final destination or do you have two completely different reservations with different airlines?

I think the OP is worried about the bags not making the connection, even if they do.

I've priced out shipping fees for luggage and you might be able to purchase a new wardrobe for what it costs. $300 plus per bag! This was FedEx ground rates for a 50 lb box.

We've flown with connections many times and have not had a missing bag yet. But if you're worried, pack a couple changes of clothing into your carry on. Cross pack with a travel companion so if one bag takes a different vacation you at least may have more than the clothes in your back.

Postal rates can be lower, if you are willing to mail the box more than a week in advance. The rate was as low as $22 for a 50 lb. box, taking 8 days for delivery. This did not include insurance fees. Insurance wasn't much more, as I recall the site stated around $2. So, for about the same cost as airline luggage fees you can mail your boxed luggage and hope it's delivered on time. They do have priority mail at higher rates.

This can be done, but it is expensive. A one hour connecting flight is not "tight". I've had 30 minute connecting flights where my luggage made it to the connecting flight.

We are flying on American Eagle to Chicago Ohare then on American Airlines to Tampa, Fl. I think A. A. is the parent company to American Eagle and they do fly into the same terminal. I tried to find out which gate each flight uses, but I haven't had any success. Thank you for all of the info! I appreciate any help I can get!

We are flying on American Eagle to Chicago Ohare then on American Airlines to Tampa, Fl. I think A. A. is the parent company to American Eagle and they do fly into the same terminal. I tried to find out which gate each flight uses, but I haven't had any success. Thank you for all of the info! I appreciate any help I can get!

Honestly, I think you are worrying for nothing. Once you get to the airport, check your luggage. American Eagle and American Airlines are the same. Your luggage will be transferred from your first flight to your second one. Once in Tampa, go to the luggage carousel (there will be several. You should be able to find out which one is yours by flight number) and your luggage should arrive within 10 mins or so.

You just need to worry about getting yourself from one gate to the other!! Have a great trip!!

You won't need to retrieve your bags between flights....they go to the correct flight without your doing a thing. No worries. However, as added insurance, cross-pack....something of everyone's in each bag, just in case one goes astray...

We do that whenever we fly!

One of the reasons bags don't make the connecting flight is that the that the baggage ticket had the wrong information. Make certain baggage tag has all the correct flight information before it's placed on the conveyor belt .

I don't consider one hour a "tight connection". I have made plenty of 35 minute domestic connections, and so did my bags. Yes, American Eagle is part of AA. I wouldn't give this another second thought.

It is VERY expensive to ship bags and you have no guarantee they won't get lost that way either.

Just do as suggested, make sure the tag is to the final airport (TPA).

One way to avoid the worry and angst is to just take carryon luggage. Just double check the allowable luggage size for each leg of your trip as it can vary depending on the size of the plane. As a reformed overpacker, I can attest that it is certainly doable. There are lots of threads on the subject; you can check out the Ask a Cruise Question board as well.

American Airlines will arrive and depart from Terminal 3 at ORD. I *think* they use H and K concourses. I just hope you aren't at the end of one and have to run to the end of the other. ;)

One way to avoid the worry and angst is to just take carryon luggage. Just double check the allowable luggage size for each leg of your trip as it can vary depending on the size of the plane. As a reformed overpacker, I can attest that it is certainly doable. There are lots of threads on the subject; you can check out the Ask a Cruise Question board as well.

Yes, Carry-On size packing is all I do now. Unless I'm getting a free checked bag from the airline everything is with me. I do however give the bag to the porters at the dock so I don't have to drag it with me until the cabin is ready.

Have a wonderful trip!

• 3 weeks later...
I've priced out shipping fees for luggage and you might be able to purchase a new wardrobe for what it costs. $300 plus per bag! This was FedEx ground rates for a 50 lb box.

We've flown with connections many times and have not had a missing bag yet. But if you're worried, pack a couple changes of clothing into your carry on. Cross pack with a travel companion so if one bag takes a different vacation you at least may have more than the clothes in your back.

$300 is overnight

I am flying United this time, sent both bags to the hotel via UPS ground, business to business rate, $40 (united gets $60) and I get off the plane and go to the hotel.

Sent today, they will be there Thursday, I will be there Saturday

The other thing that can happen is your bags take a different route than you do. The first time this happened our bags beat us there, and I didn't figure it out until I went to make the lost baggage claim :)

I wouldn't worry too much about your connection time, like others have said the luggage has a more direct route to the connection than you do.

If you have enough time to make the walk from one plane to the other for the flight, odds are your bags will beat you to your departing flight every time. Seems like in this department the charging for the bags by the airlines has worked pretty well at speeding up the baggage handling by reducing the bags. The worst baggage problem ive had in the last 4 years (and I fly regularly for work) was someone pickup up my carry on by mistake and having to chase them down to swap bags :eek: (in their defense they were identical)

We also do ship packages down to our hotel with our work equipment ahead of our flights due to size, but it can get expensive to get fast and guaranteed delivery dates. And if you do this, be SURE to call ahead and advise the hotel that you have packages coming and who's name they will have on them. We had a hotel reject our equipment shipment a few weeks ago because no one called ahead of time to tell them to expect it. Made that week's work a LOT of fun :D

Normally a tight connection is because the planes are very close together in the terminals. I really don't consider an 1 hr a tight connection. I've had a 25 min connection and called to verify I was told that they are basically right next to each other at the terminal, sure enough they were. Good Luck!

• 1 year later...

Hi Kay,

AA Ohare is really easy! Yes you can check your bags, but if you are not aa member your are paying for your bags! Now my guess is you are flying an embriar into O'Hare; which means your bag over 18" will be checked right at the gate/jetbridge just before you step onto the jet and they special tag those bags, and you will have to wait right on the jetbridge in O'Hare for the workers to grab these bags if you checked it right there when leaving oh! Cool thing is you aren't charged for bags an technically you can have a 16"and 22". Since they will both fit in your overhead on next flight. Ohare AA is G & H, K is international! It is an L shape basically! As stuff goes for AA O'Hare it is cake compared to United O'Hare! If you decide on mailing I would use FedEx or UPS, I call the hotel to ask if they prefer one or the other and who to make to and how they secure it! When I have done this I have still had stuff with me! I wasn't completely without clothes and stuff!

Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Hi Kay,

AA Ohare is really easy! Yes you can check your bags, but if you are not aa member your are paying for your bags! Now my guess is you are flying an embriar into O'Hare; which means your bag over 18" will be checked right at the gate/jetbridge just before you step onto the jet and they special tag those bags, and you will have to wait right on the jetbridge in O'Hare for the workers to grab these bags if you checked it right there when leaving oh! Cool thing is you aren't charged for bags an technically you can have a 16"and 22". Since they will both fit in your overhead on next flight. Ohare AA is G & H, K is international! It is an L shape basically! As stuff goes for AA O'Hare it is cake compared to United O'Hare! If you decide on mailing I would use FedEx or UPS, I call the hotel to ask if they prefer one or the other and who to make to and how they secure it! When I have done this I have still had stuff with me! I wasn't completely without clothes and stuff!

Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Ummm...A little late for advice, as the OP sailed two years ago...EM

Yes A.A. and American Eagle are associated.

Perplexed as your statement I" tried to find out which gate each flight uses, but I haven't had any success." as it's very easy to do.

Just go to A.A. website. Click on "Travel Information" at the top of the webpage . Than click on "Gates and Times" and input your flight number. You can than see the gates and times for the current date ( not your actual date). You can also view the same information for the previous day and the following 2 days. Though gates can always change and flights times change doing this over several days will at least give you a pattern to make your assessment.