Big Formal Decision in Our House.......

sail7seas

Sail ---- That's an interesting question ---- rightly or wrongly' date=' I would feel out of place if I dined with officer(s) sans tux.[/quote']

There you go.

I knew you'd know what I meant. Sigh..........

HAL defines formal as gentlemen in jacket and tie so if a man meets their own definition, he is a gentleman. IMO

BUt.....

Forgive me but I had to laugh at your "cut down" list.

We do take the tux (don't need "tux shoes" etc, don't need dress shoes or handbag (for what, your room card?)) and formal duds and manage with one rolling garment bag each.

To each his own, but knowing that we are usually taking public transportation (in Europe) and long ago decided on the "if you pack it , you lug it" rule we have become pretty good packers.

I'm happy to provide a giggle...... Really I am. :D

As to what goes in my purse.........

I don't mind sharing.

I need my reading glasses or I'm hopeless, my room key, tissues, a bit of cash as DH never has any in his pocket and he may wish to give some tips in cash to someone, pills I need to take at dinner, lipstick, a tiny hairbrush, breath freshener, a pencil and paper as I'm always looking to jot something down......

Thus, I need my little purse.

Sail, we all make the decisions we feel are best for us. I've cruised with black suit and clerics, no tuxedo, when working as Chaplain. It frankly wasn't any easier packing, nor was the load any lighter, than when I packed my tuxedo instead. I still had to wear a shirt, underwear, tie (or equivalent), and dress shoes. It all worked out the same in the end. So, for me, I bring what I want. If you/your DH doesn't want to bring the Tuxedo any more -- for whatever reason -- then that's what's best for him and you ... regardless of other rationales.

The tuxedo takes the same room as a suit but he needs two tuxedo shirts, cummerbuns, ties, and the extra shoes are the biggest thing. He only wears his black tuxedo shoes with his tux which means he needs his other dress shoes for trousers/suit.

Firstly, does your husband go without a dress shirt and tie when he dresses in a suit? Of course not ... so that's a wash. The cummerbund, shirts studs, and maybe the cufflinks are the only REAL difference ... and as far as clothing items go, the cummerbund is a few ounces of material that can be stuffed inside shoes or a jacket's pockets, etc., so it takes up no extra space. The shirt studs weigh a little more, but don't take up any space because they, too, can be placed inside dead-space in your luggage.

Secondly, the shoes: I have never word Tuxedo shoes. I just wear the same black dress shoes I wear with clerics or other non-Tuxedo suits. They're the same shoes I wear on Smart Casual nights when I wear slacks, sport shirt, and sport jacket. So, it is possible to ditch the shoes that only get worn with a Tuxedo and wear black dress shoes that go with other forms of dress-up clothing.

It also means differences in what I wear if he does not wear tux and that means fewer shoes and handbags. I can make do with black silk strappy sandals and small evening purse if I'm not dressing formal three nights.

In the past, it was two or three shoes/handbags to match each dress.

That's interesting. I'm not sure I follow the reasoning. But, if that's what you feel you need to do to match his Tuxedo, that's your decision.

I travel with a rolling upright and a carry-on. That rolling upright has a suiter in it that handles a tuxedo and a couple of tuxedo shirts or a suit and a couple of clergy/dress shirts with no trouble. For a week-long cruise or a b2b that's sufficient for me. For a much longer cruise -- 14 days NOT b2b, or longer, -- I usually bring a hanging (non rolling) garment bag that I attach to the rolling upright for maneuvering around airports and such. It allows me to bring my tuxedo, an extra white dinner jacket, and maybe a suit or a couple of additional smart casual evening jackets separate from the Rolling Upright ... hence leaving space and weight allowance in the Rolling Upright for more daytime and Smart Casual evening clothing. As a result, for me, packing has become very simple and more-or-less the same regardless of the cruise-length (with the exception of cruises that include lots of different environments, which call for a greater precision in the kinds of daytime and active wear that I bring ... i.e., coats and an sweater or two -- but not additional luggage).

In the end, for each and every person it always comes down to "what works for you." If leaving the Tuxedo at home is going to work for your husband and you, that's his and your decision. He is still well within what the Line requests for Formal Evening wear; and, I've seen your husband in a jacket and tie -- at the Noordam Inagural ceremony -- and he looked quite dapper. I also remember seeing him in a Tuxedo aboard the Noordam the following year on formal nights ... and the two of you looked fabu.

Well, it appears to have happened.

The barbarians have burst through the gates and have taken the realm.

I consider you and your DH S7S as a sort of voice of reason and gauge by which to judge the correct things do do.

If your DH has decided, and you agree, that "Formal Nights" are so far from Formal now that one is out of place in true formal attire, then I must admit that the end of elegant formal dining on HAL has arrived.

I was hoping against hope that somehow formal dress would experience a resurgence with more people dressing in true formal clothing for these once special elegant evenings.

Such is life!

S7S, please don't take this as against you or your DH's decisions. I agree that it is hardly worth it to be one of very few people dressed properly on the ship. I just am sad and disheartened that it has finally come to the point of having "Semi-Formal" night!

Sail, we all make the decisions we feel are best for us. I've cruised with black suit and clerics, no tuxedo, when working as Chaplain. It frankly wasn't any easier packing, nor was the load any lighter, than when I packed my tuxedo instead. I still had to wear a shirt, underwear, tie (or equivalent), and dress shoes. It all worked out the same in the end. So, for me, I bring what I want. If you/your DH doesn't want to bring the Tuxedo any more -- for whatever reason -- then that's what's best for him and you ... regardless of other rationales.

Firstly, does your husband go without a dress shirt and tie when he dresses in a suit? Of course not ... so that's a wash. The cummerbund, shirts studs, and maybe the cufflinks are the only REAL difference ... and as far as clothing items go, the cummerbund is a few ounces of material that can be stuffed inside shoes or a jacket's pockets, etc., so it takes up no extra space. The shirt studs weigh a little more, but don't take up any space because they, too, can be placed inside dead-space in your luggage.

Secondly, the shoes: I have never word Tuxedo shoes. I just wear the same black dress shoes I wear with clerics or other non-Tuxedo suits. They're the same shoes I wear on Smart Casual nights when I wear slacks, sport shirt, and sport jacket. So, it is possible to ditch the shoes that only get worn with a Tuxedo and wear black dress shoes that go with other forms of dress-up clothing.

That's interesting. I'm not sure I follow the reasoning. But, if that's what you feel you need to do to match his Tuxedo, that's your decision.

I travel with a rolling upright and a carry-on. That rolling upright has a suiter in it that handles a tuxedo and a couple of tuxedo shirts or a suit and a couple of clergy/dress shirts with no trouble. For a week-long cruise or a b2b that's sufficient for me. For a much longer cruise -- 14 days NOT b2b, or longer, -- I usually bring a hanging (non rolling) garment bag that I attach to the rolling upright for maneuvering around airports and such. It allows me to bring my tuxedo, an extra white dinner jacket, and maybe a suit or a couple of additional smart casual evening jackets separate from the Rolling Upright ... hence leaving space and weight allowance in the Rolling Upright for more daytime and Smart Casual evening clothing. As a result, for me, packing has become very simple and more-or-less the same regardless of the cruise-length (with the exception of cruises that include lots of different environments, which call for a greater precision in the kinds of daytime and active wear that I bring ... i.e., coats and an sweater or two -- but not additional luggage).

In the end, for each and every person it always comes down to "what works for you." If leaving the Tuxedo at home is going to work for your husband and you, that's his and your decision. He is still well within what the Line requests for Formal Evening wear; and, I've seen your husband in a jacket and tie -- at the Noordam Inagural ceremony -- and he looked quite dapper. I also remember seeing him in a Tuxedo aboard the Noordam the following year on formal nights ... and the two of you looked fabu.

Mostly good points and I could nit pick the odd places where I might disagree but that serves no purpose.

I think it's two fold, for us.....

We are lightening our load by omitting tuxedo shirts as he can wear his usual business shirts with suit/sports jacket/ dress trousers and send them for laundering. No need for two long sleeve tux shirts.

He doesn't wear black shoes with his suits, sport jackets, dress trousers. He wears various shades of brown and tan, navy and dark burgundies are his neutrals. He does not wear black suits but dark charcoals, navies, subtle glen plaids, pinstripes, but no black suits. Black shoes are only for his tux. No tux, no need for the big shoes.

The other part of two fold is we're tired of it. As we see the diminishing interest by most around us, we have been worn down and concede. It's over. Over 70 HAL cruises and we have never gone to a ship without proper formal clothes. We are ready to comply with what HAL now defines as formal.

For us, that is barely what we used to wear for semi-formal but we don't write the definitions. HAL has dumbed it down and we will be in compliance.

We held out as long as we can but it's over for us.

You're so nice, Greg, and I thank you. :)

He has always worn his suits 'well' and enjoyed a beautiful wardrobe but we're older, slower, and not as svelte. Time has marched on. :)

That is also what my husband does. His feet are so long and narrow he could use them as water skis and is he is very hard to fit so he only has one pair of dress shoes which he uses for both formal and smart casual evenings.

We haven't been on a HAL cruise since 2008, and there were really very few tuxes on the Volendam (14 days to New Zealand-Australia). Our last cruises have been on Carnival and RCI. I was suprised at the number of tuxes. In fact, the RCI cruise (out of San Juan) was probably the most formal cruise we've been on recently. (Nothing comes close to the formality of our first two cruises on the Westerdam and the Nieuw Amsterdam in 1991 and 1992 though!)

We have a Future Cruise Credit that will expire in October, and we've been trying to see if we can get something booked, but my husband's new job is so demanding, it's not looking like we'll be able to use it. I guess cruising HAL is not in our plans this year. :( We'll be saving our tux debate for another time, I guess.

Robin

What really worked for us was not just cutting down as it were because that tends to reverse it self or we compensate in another way.

We finally bit the bullet and went to smaller suitcases and one carry on between us. If it did not fit in the suitcase, it did not go. End of story. Our suitcases were filled to capacity. This is no longer the case because the more we leave at home , the more we want to leave at home. When we travelled with our children the rule was always you pack it, you carry it. We still have a way to go but each time to pack we seem to take less. And when we return home, we take note of what we did not wear more than one or two times and it gets cut on the next trip. I frequently travelled for business. It was easy to do carry on-no checking bags, no waiting for bags or filling out claims. Just get off the plane and go. That is where we want to get to.

We now use laundry or laundromat depending on where we are to a much greater extent than we used to.. Next step will DW going down to a 20inch roll instead of her 24".

I think that it depends on the cruise. For a Caribbean cruise with flights- no way. Every single item needs to justify itself and the whole ship is dressed much more casually. For a TA, or for a cruise over the holidays, or a Canadian cruise- especially if we are driving to port- might as well bring everything we own, and I know I will have to "kick it up a notch".

I am one who is not bothered by what others wear. Funny- with all of the outcry on CC from the people who wish for a more formal dress code- I have yet to sit at a table, or even meet (with one exception) anyone who has the same level of education as I do. I don't care, believe me. But cruising is hardly an amusement for the upper classes only, or even at all- not on any cruises I have been on, anyway (exclude QE2- I was a kid and a young adult). So for the posters below who are giving Sail a hard time, what life do you have that you are offended by someone's lack of tuxedo? And how is Downton Abbey these days? :rolleyes:

DH will still be weearing his Tuxedo on our next cruise.

I did have to give up floor length skirts because of my walker/rollator -- afraid that the skirt will get caught in the wheels.

I never took a lot of shoes -- used to take one basic pair of black 1 inch heels -- now replaced with a nice pair of black flats.

Guess we are old fashioned and still like to dress up.

I am one who is not bothered by what others wear. Funny- with all of the outcry on CC from the people who wish for a more formal dress code- I have yet to sit at a table, or even meet (with one exception) anyone who has the same level of education as I do. I don't care, believe me. But cruising is hardly an amusement for the upper classes only, or even at all- not on any cruises I have been on, anyway (exclude QE2- I was a kid and a young adult). So for the posters below who are giving Sail a hard time, what life do you have that you are offended by someone's lack of tuxedo? And how is Downton Abbey these days? :rolleyes:

I'm a little confused. What does your level of education have to do with other peoples opinion on formal wear?

I'm a little confused. What does your level of education have to do with other peoples opinion on formal wear?

That confused me as well. :confused:

My DH would be considered highly educated by most anyone.

Bill Gates did not get a great deal of formal education but I think he wears a very handsome tuxedo and wears it well. :)

On our last cruise -- Maasdam 11 day Southern Caribbean -- there were so relatively few tuxedos in sight that I actually felt a bit out of place -- like I was way overdressed for the party.

That being said, I'll probably continue bringing the tux aboard -- if for no other reason than it pleases my wife.

You know the old saying, I'm sure: "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

I reckon gals just like to dress up.

Yea...... I'm so happy to hear there are others who agree.

DH said one jacket and nothing else but I suspect I'll slip a dark suit into the suitcase.

She who does all the packing gets a certain 'leeway' and can claim 'dumb mistake' when we unpack and he finds both a suit and a jacket. Oh gee..... I didn't realize I had already packed a jacket. :o

Think he'll believe it? :D

He says he'll be just fine in sports jacket/blazer and tie but I really wonder if he'll be sorry. What do you think.

Bring the suit, too?

I agree definitely pack the suit and leave the Tux at home. Tux's are very nice as long as everyone else is wearing one but, when it is only a few people which I have noticed on many cruises they appear to look over dressed same thing goes for the women wearing the extravagant gowns yes, they are beautiful but if the better part of the ship is not dressing the same way it takes something away from it and you feel out of place. Since your husband is used to wearing a suit make sure you have one with you otherwise he will feel under-dressed and wish that he had brought it along. You can always drop it off at one of the stops when your done with it. That is what I did with my husbands suit on Victoria Island, I just found a goodwill which was maybe 10 mins out of my way but it was a lot less weight to lug the suit back home. My husband hates wearing suits as he has to do that quite often with his business but I love getting dressed up and he is not standing with me suit-less!;)

I still enjoy wearing my tux, and plan to take it on cruises that are 7 days and longer. Have never felt out of place in my tux on formal night on Crystal, Celebrity, Princess, HAL nor Royal Caribbean.

When you analyze it, the weight of a tux equals that of a suit. The weight of tux shirts equals that of long-sleeve dress shirts. Bowtie plus cumberbun plus studs/links equals the weight of neckties plus cufflinks. I just don't see any savings on packing. Black dress shoes equal the weight of tux shoes. (Yes, I wear black dress shoes with my tux, as well as with a grey suit.)

So, I'll continue to take the tux, plus a sport coat/blazer and slacks.

It's nice to have choices, and HAL provides lots of lattitude on attire for gentlemen.

AG

Bear and others?

If you happened to be invited to dine with an Officer would you feel differently about not having a tuxedo with you?

No, I think as long as the men have a properly fitted dark suit with a nice tie they will blend in nicely. :rolleyes:

Tuxes have nothing to do with education levels. They are merely clothes...;) My point was directed at those below who were slamming Sail's decision to de-formalize somewhat. The clothes do not make the man. I just want to know where and in what company those recoiling in horror reside. I was just noticing on my last cruise that the people at our tables were middle class- like me. I have yet to meet anyone who would seem to care one whit about who wears a tuxedo. Yet, on Cruisecritic- huge deal.

Bear and others?

If you happened to be invited to dine with an Officer would you feel differently about not having a tuxedo with you?

We've dined often with officers the Captain and others. Only once has a gentleman had on a tux. The rest wore suits or a nice jacket, tie and slacks. We felt quite comfortable with the dress mix at formal dinner.

I still enjoy wearing my tux, and plan to take it on cruises that are 7 days and longer. Have never felt out of place in my tux on formal night on Crystal, Celebrity, Princess, HAL nor Royal Caribbean.

When you analyze it, the weight of a tux equals that of a suit. The weight of tux shirts equals that of long-sleeve dress shirts. Bowtie plus cumberbun plus studs/links equals the weight of neckties plus cufflinks. I just don't see any savings on packing. Black dress shoes equal the weight of tux shoes. (Yes, I wear black dress shoes with my tux, as well as with a grey suit.)

So, I'll continue to take the tux, plus a sport coat/blazer and slacks.

It's nice to have choices, and HAL provides lots of lattitude on attire for gentlemen.

AG

I so agree with you!!

Archived